• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

ty_hot

there was this side scrolling mario like game in the SNES, but you didnt play as Mario, I believe you played as a monkey ... or were monkeys the enemies? I dont remember. i loved that game. I think after you finished the first stage you could choose between 4 different 'worlds'.

thats all I remember.

Dizzy-4U

there was this side scrolling mario like game in the SNES, but you didnt play as Mario, I believe you played as a monkey ... or were monkeys the enemies? I dont remember. i loved that game. I think after you finished the first stage you could choose between 4 different 'worlds'.

thats all I remember.
Congo's Caper

mclem

thats all I remember.

Congo's Caper

Could well be the above, but I'll also mention Spanky's Quest.

Right, I just spent the good part of 30 minutes on Google and Google Image search trying to find this game.

It has to be maybe 2/3 years old (maybe sooner). I can just remember snippets of a trailer for the game.

It's a sidescroller, with weather effects and water. I don't think there is a character involved and it may be a puzzle game of sorts. Possibly able to deform the land to move an object?

That's all I've got!

Edit: It was Storm, came out in 2013. Ahh, now I can rest.

mujun

Does anyone know the name of the sidescrolling shooter/platformer made by the Gauntlet devs or publisher (not sure which)? Came out a few years after Gauntlet. Possibly only on home systems (I had it on the Commodore 64) or maybe home systems and in arcades.

Futuristic setting that could be played by four players similar to Gauntlet. Had four different character to choose from if I remember correctly.

mclem

Does anyone know the name of the sidescrolling shooter/platformer made by the Gauntlet devs or publisher (not sure which)? Came out a few years after Gauntlet. Possibly only on home systems (I had it on the Commodore 64) or maybe home systems and in arcades.

Futuristic setting that could be played by four players similar to Gauntlet. Had four different character to choose from if I remember correctly.

I wonder if you're thinking of Quartet? I don't think it had any direct relationship to Gauntlet, however.

owy2MeN.png

Edit: Some budget rereleases might have been done under the same brand, possibly? It's a stretch, mind.

Game I used to play mid to early 90s it was on PC. It was definitely in the 90s. But you controlled this straight bar, and you could move it around and connect it to attach points but you had to avoid obstacles. Shit, iv tried many times for years to find the name but to no avail.

smurfx

get some go again
cell phone game from maybe 7-10 years ago. i think you pushed a rock to destroy houses or something like that and you only had a certain number of moves.

ty_hot

Congo's Caper

hqdefault.jpg

congos-caper-06.png

Bingo!

I had so much fun with that game! Would never remember that name. Is there a metacritic-like site? I am curious to know how was the reception to the game.

I played it in 1999-2000 I believe, it was one of the 4 (I guess) games I had on SNES during many years.

Keinning

Game I used to play mid to early 90s it was on PC. It was definitely in the 90s. But you controlled this straight bar, and you could move it around and connect it to attach points but you had to avoid obstacles. Shit, iv tried many times for years to find the name but to no avail.

Sounds like an Irritating Stick clone
I remember a game like you described, but it was for GBC. Sorry for not being more helpful

I had so much fun with that game! Would never remember that name. Is there a metacritic-like site? I am curious to know how was the reception to the game.

I played it in 1999-2000 I believe, it was one of the 4 (I guess) games I had on SNES during many years.

Congo's Caper soundtrack was lit

I remember playing it when i was too frustrated with DKC

ntinosaur

Well i'm gonna give it a try...

There was this PS1 game from a demo disk.
I swear i thought it was called Fighting Force, but both games i saw were not it for sure.

- A 3rd person shooter, camera was close from the back of the character.
- The hero was a soldier and was a ginger ? (maybe brown hair) that had a bald spot to the
back of its head.
- I think the demo level was Egyptian based ? But i'm not sure.
- (I think) You are supposed to move only forward ? You could move forward, left and right. Not on rails or something. You just could not turn back , the camera would not turn i think ? (Think of it like the actual Fighting Force but without melee combat)

I swear i thought it was called Fighting Force, but both games i saw were not it for sure.

- The hero was a soldier and was a ginger ? (maybe brown hair) that had a bald spot to the
back of its head.
- (I think) You are supposed to move only forward ? You could move forward, left and right. Not on rails or something. You just could not turn back , the camera would not turn i think ? (Think of it like the actual Fighting Force but without melee combat)

Gekido?

Dizzy-4U

hqdefault.jpg

congos-caper-06.png

Bingo!

Fun little game yeah. It's related to Joe & Mac. Like a spinoff or something like that.

back of its head.
Sounds like Lone Soldier for the most part.

mujun

I wonder if you're thinking of Quartet? I don't think it had any direct relationship to Gauntlet, however.

owy2MeN.png

Edit: Some budget rereleases might have been done under the same brand, possibly? It's a stretch, mind.

That might be it, thanks!

Looks like it's a Sega game.

mclem

back of its head.

I wonder if that might be Fade to Black

3MfKZ5c.jpg

back of its head.

I wonder if it isn't Apocalypse, with an already balding Bruce Willis? The game has fixed camera angles and although the character is usually quite far away and tiny, there are some instances like near the end of a level or a boss fight where the camera gets closer.

jackal27

Banned
Alright guys I've got a shareware PC dinosaur game for you.

In the 90s I used to play this game for DOS I believe. I know it was already a kind of old game I think when I started messing with it on my PC and this was in the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a dinosaur game where you could build your own fire-breathing dinosaur and battle it against other dinosaurs. You could even send you dinosaur to battle other people's online if I remember correctly. The dinosaurs were mostly green and brown if I remember correctly, mostly raptor looking, and all the battles and construction took place from an aerial view which always made me sad. The menu screens had cool art though. I think this game was shareware? Maybe freeware. I just know I didn't pay for it.

Please help this has driven me crazy for years.

OMG YOU GUYS I FOUND IT!

I present to you Pyrosaurus. A DOS/Windows 95 game released in 1997 (and the final game) created and published by the 4 person family team at Evryware Game Studios, probably best known or their work on Manhunter 1&2 (though Sierra usually gets the credit).

Here are the only 2 in-game screenshots in existence:

Archived version of the official website here

Old press release on Google Docs

No Youtube videos at all. Barely any information out there. Download only accessible through the archived version of the site. No wonder no one has heard of this game. I basically have no idea how I stumbled upon it as a kid and played it for years. Breaks my heart to think that so many games will eventually go this way, not archived anywhere, never spoken about, barely remembered.

belinho

Hey guys,

I'm trying to remember an Arcade game i used to play in Spain, in the summer of '94.

The only thing i can remember (and even that i'm not sure) is that it was a brawler and one of the levels was atop a moving train ( i think the background was blu sky).

It probably is a super easy one to figure out, but i tried google and nothing matches my mental image.

eso76

Hey guys,

I'm trying to remember an Arcade game i used to play in Spain, in the summer of '94.

The only thing i can remember (and even that i'm not sure) is that it was a brawler and one of the levels was atop a moving train ( i think the background was blu sky).

It probably is a super easy one to figure out, but i tried google and nothing matches my mental image.

Wow, can't seem to link an image.

Dragonninja ?
?
Probably not

belinho

Wow, can't seem to link an image.

Dragonninja ?
?
Probably not

It's possible. The only thing that's kinda different from what i remember is the vehicles, which i think you could only see a bit of the top. In DragonNinja you see the whole truck, or trian

Hey guys,

Burning Fight has a train level like that, might be it.

blacklotus

'm gonna be vague as hell but... something has been bugging my mind the past couple of weeks.
Basically, it was a video of a game or tech demo that was in a warehouse and at the time the graphical detail was out of this world. Time of day was day light. I think it featured shooting/swat but i'm not really sure on this last bit.

And i'm out. :|

Dunno if this was a full one game, or just a tech demo that sprouted a game or anything.

Does it ring any bells?

BumRush

'm gonna be vague as hell but... something has been bugging my mind the past couple of weeks.
Basically, it was a video of a game or tech demo that was in a warehouse and at the time the graphical detail was out of this world. Time of day was day light. I think it featured shooting/swat but i'm not really sure on this last bit.

Dunno if this was a full one game, or just a tech demo that sprouted a game or anything.

Does it ring any bells?

How old is it?

Animagne

Been trying to figure out this one for a while. PS1 racing game, with non-realistic cars (no weapons, but might be something like micro machines, hot wheels, etc.). Has camera behind vehicle (not top down) and has pick ups on track, which unlock new cars.

Bookman

This is going to be vague as fuck but in the 90s we had a pc magazine called highscore in sweden. I think that one of the demos actually was a music video (im quite certain it was a full game though).

I can remember it had something to do with planes or perhaps space ship. "Fire in the sky" was either the song, game, theme or something that I just made up. Would be fun to know what kind of game it was and perhaps watch the music video on YouTube.

blacklotus

Been trying to figure out this one for a while. PS1 racing game, with non-realistic cars (no weapons, but might be something like micro machines, hot wheels, etc.). Has camera behind vehicle (not top down) and has pick ups on track, which unlock new cars.

Re-Volt?

Arch

I think this is Spin Doctor.

hqdefault.jpg

This is going to be vague as fuck but in the 90s we had a pc magazine called highscore in sweden. I think that one of the demos actually was a music video (im quite certain it was a full game though).

I can remember it had something to do with planes or perhaps space ship. "Fire in the sky" was either the song, game, theme or something that I just made up. Would be fun to know what kind of game it was and perhaps watch the music video on YouTube.

So this is going to be a huge stretch here, but looking into this has resulted in some wonderful stuff I haven't seen before, so I'll just post this here.

Might the game be Inferno?

While searching for the Swedish High Score magazine, all I found was the very first issue on archive.org from 1995. One of the reviewed games was Inferno by Digital Image Design (DID) (folks who made TFX, Robocop 3 etc.) and talent from there apparently later ended up into studios like Evolution, Rage etc. Inferno (and it's predecessor, Epic) were always kinda technically interesting to me but I've never really played those games.

Anyway, the cool thing is that there's a "Making of Inferno" video on YouTube, which is a pretty cool and delightfully cringy (in a lovable way) blast from the past and I love these kinds of videos. But it also turns out that the OST for the game was made by the band Alien Sex Fiend along with Barry Leitch (who did a lot of music for stuff like the first Top Gear, Drakan, lots of C64 and Amiga stuff and apparently the OST to Horizon Chase).

The "making of" clip also has what looks like a long music video/promo clip for the game (starting at 23:05), titled "ASF: Inferno - The Darker Side", and although that's not exactly the title you remembered, there's a chance that might've been included in the magazine's demos.

It's probably not it, but it was still fun discovering these bits of gaming history. :)

Bookman

So this is going to be a huge stretch here, but looking into this has resulted in some wonderful stuff I haven't seen before, so I'll just post this here.

Might the game be Inferno?

While searching for the Swedish High Score magazine, all I found was the very first issue on archive.org from 1995. One of the reviewed games was Inferno by Digital Image Design (DID) (folks who made TFX, Robocop 3 etc.) and talent from there apparently later ended up into studios like Evolution, Rage etc. Inferno (and it's predecessor, Epic) were always kinda technically interesting to me but I've never really played those games.

Anyway, the cool thing is that there's a "Making of Inferno" video on YouTube, which is a pretty cool and delightfully cringy (in a lovable way) blast from the past and I love these kinds of videos. But it also turns out that the OST for the game was made by the band Alien Sex Fiend along with Barry Leitch (who did a lot of music for stuff like the first Top Gear, Drakan, lots of C64 and Amiga stuff and apparently the OST to Horizon Chase).

The "making of" clip also has what looks like a long music video/promo clip for the game (starting at 23:05), titled "ASF: Inferno - The Darker Side", and although that's not exactly the title you remembered, there's a chance that might've been included in the magazine's demos.

It's probably not it, but it was still fun discovering these bits of gaming history. :)

Man, I really appreciate the effort. It could have been it and there is some really interesting stuff here but its not the game im looking for.

Animagne

UI doesn't look like what I'd remember and judging by some links I opened, unlocking cars here is mostly by completing objectives (winning races, collecting all stars). The game I had in mind had car unlocks similar to video tapes in THPS series: a single pick up, hidden somewhere on the track.

Does it ring any bells?

Any chance it's way before the year you're thinking and it's the Half-Life 2 tech demo from 2003? After the warehouse portion there's a bunch of daylight stuff including shooting from inside a building out at combine trying to get in and I could see that being the shooting/swat portion?

https://youtu.be/4ddJ1OKV63Q?t=128

Man, I really appreciate the effort. It could have been it and there is some really interesting stuff here but its not the game im looking for.

That's alright, as I said, it was a huge stretch.

Apparently, High Score ran from 1993 to 1996, so that at least narrows down the year. I also found some High Score issues for sale, so that might potentially help if you remember which issue had the demo. Seems the magazine eventually turned into a men's magazine, and I'm seeing some of the demo discs had movie trailers etc.

As for the game, I'm wondering if you remember anything else, like the music (genre), was the footage ingame or some pre-rendered CG, were the planes more like real-life jet fighters or was everything more futuristic (as you mentioned a possible spaceship), was there footage of space and planets or in atmosphere, or both?

cantona222

I remember the cover of the game. It was a game on OG Xbox. The cover consist of a cool looking woman riding a futuristic motorbike. A side view of the woman riding the bike. It is most likely a multiplatform game.

Does it ring any bells?

Yes it was an old run down building captured with photogrammetry. I'll see if I can find a name for it.
Edit: Get Even, It looks like it released on Steam recently.

PrimeBeef

It was an Android game a few years back. It had a fantasy setting. Cartoony graphics. 2D. You controlled a hero or three maybe four. They had different classes with unique abilities. You could slide your hero to an enemy to attack with your finger and touch special abilities when the were ready. Your progressed through waves each level until you finally reached a boss. You won and could equip weapons and gear. I can't remember the name for the life of me.

retroman

I remember the cover of the game. It was a game on OG Xbox. The cover consist of a cool looking woman riding a futuristic motorbike. A side view of the woman riding the bike. It is most likely a multiplatform game.

Extreme G Racing?

Extreme-G_3_cover.jpg

There's also Quantum Redshift, but I think the former is closer to your description.

Quantum_Redshift.jpg

wvan13

I have a really vague one here.

I think it was a turn-based RPG on the Gamecube. All I really remember is that there was some sort of butler character, and the main character had the butler's pocket watch in his inventory.

I also know that I rented it from Blockbuster when I was a kid. Like 11 years old.

DTJAAAAM

I have a really vague one here.

I think it was a turn-based RPG on the Gamecube. All I really remember is that there was some sort of butler character, and the main character had the butler's pocket watch in his inventory.

I also know that I rented it from Blockbuster when I was a kid. Like 11 years old.

Evolution Worlds?

Jackpot

Banned
Trying to remember a flight action game I played at an arcade cabinet.

I'd say graphics were PS2 level. The cabinet wasn't anything super-fancy but did have a flight joystick. Gameplay wasn't as arcadey as something like Heatseeker. Take-offs and landings were their own separate levels.

Levels I do remember (presumably near the start of the game) was flying down a grass valley blowing up ground targets as they came, and then having to land on a carrier. Plane might have been an F/A-14.

A OG Gameboy game. I played it from japanese import, I'm pretty sure it didn't release in Europe or US.
It was some kind of puzzle game with a round character/ball bouncing from the four edges of the screen to clear the level.
My eternal friendship as a reward if you find me the name of this game!

A OG Gameboy game. I played it from japanese import, I'm pretty sure it didn't release in Europe or US.
It was some kind of puzzle game with a round character/ball bouncing from the four edges of the screen to clear the level.

Maybe Chalvo 55?

Trying to remember a flight action game I played at an arcade cabinet.

I'd say graphics were PS2 level. The cabinet wasn't anything super-fancy but did have a flight joystick. Gameplay wasn't as arcadey as something like Heatseeker. Take-offs and landings were their own separate levels.

Levels I do remember (presumably near the start of the game) was flying down a grass valley blowing up ground targets as they came, and then having to land on a carrier. Plane might have been an F/A-14.

Kinda struggling to find this one, not really familiar with arcade flight/fighter jet sims/shooters. Maybe try Sega Strike Fighters and Virtual Wing.

i would also say chalvo 55, nothing else comes to mind

DreamTension

Neo Member
2 early PC DOS games.

One was like a first person RPG. I remember you started in a dark cave like area. There may have been a sword, bats and fireballs. I remember it was very difficult.

The other was like battleship. You controlled a ship or maybe a sub and you had to shoot other ships. You had to account for wind. Was kind of a first person view from the ship.

Very vague, but I would love to try and replay these games 25 years later.

2 early PC DOS games.

One was like a first person RPG. I remember you started in a dark cave like area. There may have been a sword, bats and fireballs. I remember it was very difficult.

The description is really very vague and describes a huge number of RPGs. Do you maybe roughly remember the time period, for example "around '92-'94" or "definitely not after '96" etc? Also, was the movement free and realtime (like Ultima Underworld) or was it tile based (Lands of Lore)? Maybe something about the position of the first person view screen, its size, were there character portraits on the screen, how advanced were the graphics etc?

The other was like battleship. You controlled a ship or maybe a sub and you had to shoot other ships. You had to account for wind. Was kind of a first person view from the ship.

Very vague, but I would love to try and replay these games 25 years later.

The rough year estimate comment is valid here as well, but try Das Boot, Silent Hunter and Advanced Destroyer Simulator.

Top Bottom