• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Ok, so I've been trying to recall the name of this game I played a long, long time ago on the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis). The stuff I remember:

- It was a sidescrolling platformer
- Had bright, colorful graphics
- Had really great music
- Had something to do with Dinosaurs...? This is the part I'm a bit iffy about...
- Had a stage that was based in a movie studio I think? I specifically remember enemies that were basically walking clapperboards

I'm usually really good at keeping track of stuff, no idea why I can't seem to remember this game at all.

We’re Back! A Dinosaur’s Story

mclem

I've been trying to find this game for ages, never have used threads like this. :)

It's for the Amiga. A sidescrolling platformer where you can go left and right, trying to find (among other things) letters that spell out something. I think you finished the level when you finished the word. In the level there is also a shop you can buy the letters. The graphics are pretty lush. If I recall correctly, one of the earlier levels had some wooden huts and wooden platforms. I think the character was pixie-like, but could be wrong here.

Sounds like Wiz 'n' Liz

Hmm the female character using long hair as a weapon instantly reminded me of Millia Rage from Guilty Gear, but literally everything else doesn't fit (first GG was in 1998 and it's anime/cartoony, not digitized and not particularly violent).

Yeah definitely not GG, bit early for that, and the characters were definitely digitised in the game I'm talking about

Try these:
Shogun Warriors / Fujiyama Buster
Blood Warrior / Ooedo Fight
Tattoo Assassins
Survival Arts
Best of Best (not a typo)

It might be Blood Warrior / Ooedo Fight (which is a sequel to Shogun Warriors), since it has a Kabuki character with long red hair, and it has digitized characters.

Hmmm. Definitely not Shogun Warriors or Best of Best as the art styles are way off. It's not Tattoo Assassins as I've looked at that game before (definitely not Kasumi Ninja or Way of the Warrior either now that I think to mention it). It's not Survival Arts, it just doesn't look right in my mind.

Blood Warrior is the closest thanks to the Shishimaru character but I'm still not convinced...I'm not certain, but I think the character with long hair I'm recalling wasn't as bright and colourful a sprite as she is. Again, I may just be mis-remembering!

I forgot to say before, I'm fairly sure this game was an arcade exclusive...here in the UK at least. It was definitely never released on the PS1 anyway, as I'd have been all over it, and looking back at the timeframe it was surely that era rather than SNES/Mega Drive.

Yeah definitely not GG, bit early for that, and the characters were definitely digitised in the game I'm talking about

Hmmm. Definitely not Shogun Warriors or Best of Best as the art styles are way off. It's not Tattoo Assassins as I've looked at that game before (definitely not Kasumi Ninja or Way of the Warrior either now that I think to mention it). It's not Survival Arts, it just doesn't look right in my mind.

Blood Warrior is the closest thanks to the Shishimaru character but I'm still not convinced...I'm not certain, but I think the character with long hair I'm recalling wasn't as bright and colourful a sprite as she is. Again, I may just be mis-remembering!

I forgot to say before, I'm fairly sure this game was an arcade exclusive...here in the UK at least. It was definitely never released on the PS1 anyway, as I'd have been all over it, and looking back at the timeframe it was surely that era rather than SNES/Mega Drive.

It's worth noting that Blood Warrior was never ported to any other system as far as I know, has a lot of blood and has finishers/fatalities which are cartoonishly gory, albeit very simple to execute, as opposed to Mortal Kombat's fatalities. So there's that.

The only other games with digitized characters I can think of are the Jackie Chan games (Jackie Chan - The Kung-Fu Master and Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire - Cheng Long Densetsu) and Street Fighter: The Movie, but I don't think those have characters that fit the description.

It's worth noting that Blood Warrior was never ported to any other system as far as I know, has a lot of blood and has finishers/fatalities which are cartoonishly gory, albeit very simple to execute, as opposed to Mortal Kombat's fatalities. So there's that.

The only other games with digitized characters I can think of are the Jackie Chan games (Jackie Chan - The Kung-Fu Master and Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire - Cheng Long Densetsu) and Street Fighter: The Movie, but I don't think those have characters that fit the description.

Yeah definitely not a JC game, or the Street Fighter Movie one.

What if we say there were no fatalities...does that open up any further possibilities? I can't say for sure there were as I can't picture any (though something at the back of my head is saying there were)

Corpsepyre

Banned
Maybe you all can help me here. There was a game I played on the Genesis back in the day where you were playing this knight dressed in blue, hunting down creatures in a castle. Basically, he gets called to take care of this shit. Had an isometric view of sorts I think. can't remember the name at all and I want to revisit it

EoinOL

I've been trying to find this game for ages, never have used threads like this. :)

It's for the Amiga. A sidescrolling platformer where you can go left and right, trying to find (among other things) letters that spell out something. I think you finished the level when you finished the word. In the level there is also a shop you can buy the letters. The graphics are pretty lush. If I recall correctly, one of the earlier levels had some wooden huts and wooden platforms. I think the character was pixie-like, but could be wrong here.

This sounds a lot like Flimbo's Quest: https://youtu.be/eHr41zJqYS4?t=410

Ok this is a hard one since I saw it as a Cinematic , The game was for this gen or the previous gen, dunno if in the end was released as a game

The video featured an Asin girl drinking a strawberry milkshake , she turns around and there is a HUGE monster in front of her and starts fighting. violently.

This one is super vague I remember playing it in primary school on their pc and I have very few details that I remember, but...

- was a pc game from either late 80s early 90s
- side scrolling platformer
- cartoony, you were a scientist
- was on a space station or a lab
- wasn't commander keen
- could be a british game?

RetroGameAudio

Neo Member
There's a handful of Amiga games I can recall playing but can't remember their names. They're likely some obscure shareware.

One was an "RPG" of sorts, where I believe it had a dragon as the final enemy. I think it used actual graphics/ tilesets and not just ASCII, but the images/ characters were small still. Enemies only moved when you moved, like nethack, but this wasn't really a roguelike exactly. Just kind of a primitive RPG. Only detail I can remember is talking to one NPC that tells you "Deviate from the norm, slightly."

There's one where I CAN remember the name, but there's no information out there on it. It was called "Boo!", and it was a very primitive puzzle/ exploration game with a vaguely spooky vibe to it. I haven't been able to find any screenshots or mention of it.

Yeah definitely not a JC game, or the Street Fighter Movie one.

What if we say there were no fatalities...does that open up any further possibilities? I can't say for sure there were as I can't picture any (though something at the back of my head is saying there were)

I think we've mentioned most, if not all arcade vs fighters with digitized sprites from that era, regardless of whether they have fatalities or not. There are a few more titles on consoles or PC, like Kasumi Ninja, Expect No Mercy, Battle Monsters or Catfight, but I believe none of them have had arcade releases.

Any chance of the graphics being pre-rendered like Killer Instinct or realtime 3D like War Gods?

I think we've mentioned most, if not all arcade vs fighters with digitized sprites from that era, regardless of whether they have fatalities or not. There are a few more titles on consoles or PC, like Kasumi Ninja, Expect No Mercy, Battle Monsters or Catfight, but I believe none of them have had arcade releases.

Any chance of the graphics being pre-rendered like Killer Instinct or realtime 3D like War Gods?
I guess it could be pre-rendered...I've looked through so many digitised fighters from the 90s I'm beginning to wonder. Definitely not 3D in any shape or form though

So I was racking my brains for this one for the 'games that don't have wikipedia entries' thread, but couldn't recall the name:

PC game. I'm fairly confident it was DOS, not Windows. I think it had a single-word title; it may well have been a title that was in some way a nod towards Monopoly (When trying to find it I found Oligopoly, which isn't the game I'm after, but the name rang bells so maybe there was something right about it?)

I'm sure I played it from a covermount CD, so early CD-ROM era - probably '93ish (definitely post-Doom, probably pre-Quake) - but don't think of it as CD-sized. Rather, I think it was a small shareware or freeware title, although I don't recall any game content locked out, which suggests maybe freeware? It might well have been PC Gamer UK, but don't consider that set in stone. Probably VGA; don't think it was EGA, don't think it was SVGA. Could be wrong on the SVGA front.

Now, the actual game: It was a business simulation, where you'd buy up plots of land, I think around a small town - I'd say it bordered on a boardgame more than a fully-fledged sim, because it was fairly abstracted, and was very much laid out in terms of each player taking their turn independently. I'm fairly sure the play environment was just a single grid. I don't recall quite *why* you were buying up land - dunno if you were building on them, or excavating materials, or what. Actually, I'd say the whole 'plots of land' thing reminds me a little these days of how Irata was laid out in MULE, but this was very much a real-world environment.

One thing I distinctly recall was that I found a light exploit where I could buy and sell the same plot repeatedly to drive the value up - the devs had recognised that this was possible, because it was possible to get caught for illegal trading (that came with a penalty, something like missing the remainder of your turn?), but with limited usage you could still reap the benefit without taking the penalty.

That's about all I can recall, but I'm going to keep poking at Mobygames for inspiration; that said, I think it's concievable that this is obscure enough that maybe it doesn't even have a page there!

This is a long shot, but might it be Subtrade: Return to Irata? Apparently it's basically M.U.L.E. set underwater.

Any more hints on the graphics, the menus layout, also the setting, theme (by the descriptions it sounds like a realistic, contemporary managerial kind of thing)? Lots of gray windows and menus, like SimCity maybe? Also I'm assuming the grid is top down (like the original SimCIty for example), not isometric? Looking through screenshots and maybe game names sounds like the only way to go apart from someone directly remembering the game. I've been going through the eXoDOS collection, so sifting through the screenshots and game descriptions is the only way to get some kind of match, so having some idea about how the game looked should help.

There's a handful of Amiga games I can recall playing but can't remember their names. They're likely some obscure shareware.

One was an "RPG" of sorts, where I believe it had a dragon as the final enemy. I think it used actual graphics/ tilesets and not just ASCII, but the images/ characters were small still. Enemies only moved when you moved, like nethack, but this wasn't really a roguelike exactly. Just kind of a primitive RPG. Only detail I can remember is talking to one NPC that tells you "Deviate from the norm, slightly."

There's one where I CAN remember the name, but there's no information out there on it. It was called "Boo!", and it was a very primitive puzzle/ exploration game with a vaguely spooky vibe to it. I haven't been able to find any screenshots or mention of it.

Try this list for the RPG (there are 2 pages of results, the buttons are kinda tiny at the bottom in case you miss them).

I googled "amiga game boo!" and the very first result is a YouTube video uploaded last year, seems like that's it?

mclem

This is a long shot, but might it be Subtrade: Return to Irata? Apparently it's basically M.U.L.E. set underwater.

Nope, that's one I considered. It's the wrong era for it to be a covermount title anyway.

Any more hints on the graphics, the menus layout, also the setting, theme (by the descriptions it sounds like a realistic, contemporary managerial kind of thing)?

From memory, I'd say that if you imagined the original Railroad Tycoon, that wouldn't be *too* far off the visual style (and, for that matter, about the right screen-scale), as far as the map is concerned.

yCtBglR.png

...but I think it was structured with the top two-thirds or so of the screen being the main grid window, with the bottom third being a window for any turn-specific instructions and interactions.

I think the environment for each map was a small town built around a crossroads. I don't recall if the town was randomly-generated or a fixed design.

I do believe it was a real-world setting, although the specifics are hindered slightly in that I can't recall the specific reason for buying up plots - I think it's the plot itself that's an asset, more than anything done with it, but I could be wrong.

I *also* think that random plots were up for sale each turn. Maybe a bidding process to see who gets which?

wenaldy

Maybe you all can help me here. There was a game I played on the Genesis back in the day where you were playing this knight dressed in blue, hunting down creatures in a castle. Basically, he gets called to take care of this shit. Had an isometric view of sorts I think. can't remember the name at all and I want to revisit it

Never mind, already answered.

Fbh

SNES game.
Only released in Japan but I think there is a fan translated version you can find online.
It's an action game where you play as a warrior with a sword and as you progress through the game you get various companions, the first of which is a wizard/mage...I think at one point a robot also joins you but I'm not sure.

Mildudon

Repost:

My best guess is it's a 90's pc game(dos). You are a worm that travels from level to level. This is illustrated by a map that shows were the worm is. It took forever to get from level to level. The goal of the levels are to eat all the blue fruit before the time runs out. The more you eat the longer the tail gets. There are powers that help the worm, like more time, orange bottle that reduce tail and more. Some levels are all dark and you can only see the level if you get a lightning to show you the level for a few seconds. I think there was something about the worms wife being kidnapped also

Teppic

This one is super vague I remember playing it in primary school on their pc and I have very few details that I remember, but...

- wasn't commander keen
Bio Menace perhaps?

zdenko1

- wasn't commander keen

Alien Carnage?

ac2.png

koma

I tried to find the name of this game for hours but no luck, i don't even know if it was ever released... maybe someone could help :p

• it was for PS3 or PS4
  • it was shown at some E3 a few years ago, possible even for more than one year
  • colorful 3D graphic, somehow similar to Katamari Damacy
  • in the game you could run or fly around the levels with a flying thing (maybe a cloud?)
  • you could use this flying thing to resolve simple psychical puzzles (not sure but I kinda remember you could attach a string / rope to your "flying thing" to move around characters and items)

i'm going insane :( Did this game really exist?

Selddon

Banned
Gonna be surprised if someone gets this one but it was an old german PC kids game that was pirate themed and you play as a kid. Includes a talking parrot, a top down stealth portion, and point and click puzzles

replying to my old post, but me and my friend found the CD

2e3zJxXl.jpg

retroman

I tried to find the name of this game for hours but no luck, i don't even know if it was ever released... maybe someone could help :p

• it was for PS3 or PS4
  • in the game you could run or fly around the levels with a flying thing (maybe a cloud?)
  • you could use this flying thing to resolve simple psychical puzzles (not sure but I kinda remember you could attach a string / rope to your "flying thing" to move around characters and items)

Hohokum?

wolgoen

• it was for PS3 or PS4

Long shot but:

Grow Home?

The style was similar to Hohokum, but it was in full 3D, third person view very Katamari alike (it looked awesome).

Unfortunately no :( I'm almost sure it was a Sony exclusive too.

Is there a website which list ALL games shown by Sony at past E3? I'm sure i can find it by looking at ALL games from ALL E3s from 2007 to 2015

Maybe Wattam? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os8l7Zho2L4

It's from the creator of Katamari and has been a long time coming and likely has been seen across a couple E3s by now.

zdenko1

• it was for PS3 or PS4

Maybe Tearaway Unfolded?

xist

I remember playing an arcade fighter in maybe 1994... or 1995 or 1996. It was Mortal Kombat-esque in that it was 2D and I'm fairly sure it had blood and maybe even fatalities. I *think* it had digitised graphics but I can't be sure. The only character I remember was a female who had long hair which she would use as a weapon (like Sindel).

I've looked at loads of videos on YouTube in the past but could never clock it. I might have saw it but just didn't recognise it from my memory...any ideas?

Was this Pit-Fighter?

GrayFoxPL

I remember playing an arcade fighter in maybe 1994... or 1995 or 1996. It was Mortal Kombat-esque in that it was 2D and I'm fairly sure it had blood and maybe even fatalities. I *think* it had digitised graphics but I can't be sure. The only character I remember was a female who had long hair which she would use as a weapon (like Sindel).

I've looked at loads of videos on YouTube in the past but could never clock it. I might have saw it but just didn't recognise it from my memory...any ideas?

Tattoo Assassins?

Nope. I'm beginning to think it was pre-rendered rather than digitised now.

Been looking a bit more into this but couldn't really find many arcade fighting games with pre-rendered and/or digitized characters either.

Vicious Circle
Ragnagard
Reikai Doushi
Martial Champion (this one's cartoony, but it also has a kabuki character)

While looking for the game, I ran into a couple of interesting games though.

One mystery is Shadow Fighters (1993) by Dutech, a game that hasn't been emulated properly so far, so we can't even know what the graphics are like, although the UI might suggest more realistic or digitized graphics. Curiously enough, the title screen says "by Kyle Hodgetts". The same person seems to have also made Skimaxx (1996) which features digitized characters. It would be interesting if it turns out to be the game you're looking for.

Also ran into an unreleased fighting game called Deadly Sport (1993) from Sammy. The OST's been dumped and uploaded on YouTube, so maybe the music will jog your memory. Some more screenshots here, scroll about a third of the page down.

Spyware

I've kept looking for my Boulder Dash-y game myself and I simply can't find it.
I've gone through this list and it's not on there :(

It's somewhat different but is there any chance it could be Vlak? It had title screen written with ingame items.

DOS_00.gif

3576_300_150.png

Nope :(

Starting to feel like I must have imagined everything :p

I've kept looking for my Boulder Dash-y game myself and I simply can't find it.
I've gone through this list and it's not on there :(

Nope :(

Starting to feel like I must have imagined everything :p

A couple more I think aren't on mobygames:
Terra Probe (1996)
Digger (1992)
Buddyros (1995)
Rock Man (1994)

It's pretty tough finding an exact Boulder Dash variant since there are just so many out there, plenty of shareware and freeware stuff as well.

Spyware

A couple more I think aren't on mobygames:
Terra Probe (1996)
Digger (1992)
Buddyros (1995)
Rock Man (1994)

It's pretty tough finding an exact Boulder Dash variant since there are just so many out there, plenty of shareware and freeware stuff as well.
Can't find any Rock Man that isn't Mega Man on google but it's not the other ones.

Yeah I didn't ask in here for months because it felt sorta pointless but as time goes on I get more and more frustrated that I can't find it.
The shareware/freeware part is probably a big part of the problem, because literally every single other game I remember playing from that time were either in the Microsoft Entertainment Pack or MS DOS Shareware. I even started going through lists of shareware games to see if I could find it. No luck yet.

Can't find any Rock Man that isn't Mega Man on google but it's not the other ones.

Yeah I didn't ask in here for months because it felt sorta pointless but as time goes on I get more and more frustrated that I can't find it.
The shareware/freeware part is probably a big part of the problem, because literally every single other game I remember playing from that time were either in the Microsoft Entertainment Pack or MS DOS Shareware. I even started going through lists of shareware games to see if I could find it. No luck yet.

This is the Rock Man I was talking about.

You can also check out these two sites if you haven't already:
http://www.bd-fans.com/FreewareMSDOS.html
http://www.steffest.com/dxboulder/DXClones.htm
http://thandor.net/article/32

_Rob_

There was this weird DOS or Windows game I played way back when. I think it came on one of those "1000 games for Windows" discs. It was a crudely drawn Lucas Arts style adventure game, starring a Rat in a seedy neighbourhood having to find things like needles and alcohol to progress. I also seem to remember it was just called "Rat.exe" or something similar, but after quite a bit of Googling I am yet to find anything like it; anyone else remember it?

Tattoo Assassins?

Negative :(

Been looking a bit more into this but couldn't really find many arcade fighting games with pre-rendered and/or digitized characters either.

Vicious Circle
Ragnagard
Reikai Doushi
Martial Champion (this one's cartoony, but it also has a kabuki character)

While looking for the game, I ran into a couple of interesting games though.

One mystery is Shadow Fighters (1993) by Dutech, a game that hasn't been emulated properly so far, so we can't even know what the graphics are like, although the UI might suggest more realistic or digitized graphics. Curiously enough, the title screen says "by Kyle Hodgetts". The same person seems to have also made Skimaxx (1996) which features digitized characters. It would be interesting if it turns out to be the game you're looking for.

Also ran into an unreleased fighting game called Deadly Sport (1993) from Sammy. The OST's been dumped and uploaded on YouTube, so maybe the music will jog your memory. Some more screenshots here, scroll about a third of the page down.

Interesting. None of that is ringing a bell, but I guess it could be one of those as there's limited screenshots to be sure.

I'll do some more digging I guess!

Top Bottom