• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

MissChief

2D resident evil style graphics with NOLF aesthetics. Female protagonist.

Possibly PS1 game but maybe PS2

Fear Effect perhaps ?

feareffect610.jpg

My friend is looking for the title of a game. It was a Playstation 2 racing game with a japanese feel to it, you had to collect hearts to complete a race. We looked for it for months and just gave up.

In the late 90's I remember my elementary school teachers having us play a computer game and based off my very foggy memory I remember these little purple creature things where you went and did many stages full of puzzles, don't remember the exact puzzle solving method unfortunately. I'm sure it was just a school teaching game I always thought it was really cute and have been trying to remember what it was called for almost a decade.

Niahak

In the late 90's I remember my elementary school teachers having us play a computer game and based off my very foggy memory I remember these little purple creature things where you went and did many stages full of puzzles, don't remember the exact puzzle solving method unfortunately. I'm sure it was just a school teaching game I always thought it was really cute and have been trying to remember what it was called for almost a decade.

Logical Journey of the Zoombinis?

My friend is looking for the title of a game. It was a Playstation 2 racing game with a japanese feel to it, you had to collect hearts to complete a race. We looked for it for months and just gave up.

Is it OutRun 2006?

It's a really great game, which more or less led to the sega allstar games.

That was my first thought too, either "OutRun 2 (2004)" or "OutRun:Coast To Coast (2006)" both have "Heart Attack" mode in them if i remember correctly.

Nyoro SF

Having trouble remembering the title of an old arcade game.

It was a sidescroller beat-em-up (like Final Fight), but it was a Western-themed game with guns, saloons, cowboys, the works. I remember one of the bosses threw deadly playing cards at you.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I think it allowed up to four players to co-op on the same machine, but I could be wrong.

Having trouble remembering the title of an old arcade game.

It was a sidescroller beat-em-up (like Final Fight), but it was a Western-themed game with guns, saloons, cowboys, the works. I remember one of the bosses threw deadly playing cards at you.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I think it allowed up to four players to co-op on the same machine, but I could be wrong.
Sunset Riders

Credo

A friend just asked me this: "Do you know of a strategy/tactics RPG on PC where you start out as a prince and your father is killed and there is a horse knight with a red spear?"

He says he thinks it's from the early 2000s, maybe around 2004.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Anyone know the name of this PS2 RPG? It was in first person and at the beginning of the game you go trough a cave before reaching some village. Its been years since I last played this game so I don't remember anything else about it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone know the name of this PS2 RPG? It was in first person and at the beginning of the game you go trough a cave before reaching some village. Its been years since I last played this game so I don't remember anything else about it.
King's Field IV, maybe?

Edit: oh, yeah could be Eternal Ring. From Software's old RPGs were all first person it seems.

My girlfriend is trying to figure out a specific game her dad played in the mid 90s. Here is her description:

"FMV cutscenes, don't think it was entirely a FMV game though (like Night Trap, etc.)
Probably from 1990-1997 (I'd guess 95ish)
Horror genre, involving a parallel universe
Main character was a dorky looking guy, almost certain he wore glasses, reminds me of Andy Dick with shorter hair
Plot involved a parallel universe and human clones. Main character in our universe discovers that he's a clone, and the ”original" main character is still alive in the parallel universe. I think there was a government branch or organization that knew about the parallel universe and was deliberately making human clones. The ”original" main character (not clone) starts trying to attack or replace the clone-self in our universe.
I remember a scene where the main character (clone) is sitting at a computer and has a flashback/intrusive experience of the original main character from the parallel universe calling him a freak.
I also remember there was at least one fairly sexual scene, enough for my Dad to cover my eyes. Not sure but I think it may have been a scene of the main character receiving oral sex.
I think the original main character in the parallel universe looked a bit like the swamp witch from Legend."

So yeah... nothing comes to mind for me, certainly, so this seemed like the best thread to ask in! :)

Teppic

My girlfriend is trying to figure out a specific game her dad played in the mid 90s. Here is her description:

"FMV cutscenes, don't think it was entirely a FMV game though (like Night Trap, etc.)
Probably from 1990-1997 (I'd guess 95ish)
Horror genre, involving a parallel universe
Main character was a dorky looking guy, almost certain he wore glasses, reminds me of Andy Dick with shorter hair
Plot involved a parallel universe and human clones. Main character in our universe discovers that he’s a clone, and the “original” main character is still alive in the parallel universe. I think there was a government branch or organization that knew about the parallel universe and was deliberately making human clones. The “original” main character (not clone) starts trying to attack or replace the clone-self in our universe.
I remember a scene where the main character (clone) is sitting at a computer and has a flashback/intrusive experience of the original main character from the parallel universe calling him a freak.
I also remember there was at least one fairly sexual scene, enough for my Dad to cover my eyes. Not sure but I think it may have been a scene of the main character receiving oral sex.
I think the original main character in the parallel universe looked a bit like the swamp witch from Legend."

So yeah... nothing comes to mind for me, certainly, so this seemed like the best thread to ask in! :)
Sounds like Phantasmagoria 2.

lcbrus

There was a Sega Genesis side-scrolling game with multiple characters and I think they had different wind based powers. One shot small tornados diagonally across the screen.

For the final boss, you learned the skill to fly and had to fly around and shot him.

Does anyone know the name of this game?

That appears to be it! Damn, thanks a lot Teppic and Sinatar.

She actually briefly considered Phantasmagoria and read the plot for the first one/looks at some screenshots, and decided it wasn't it, and then that the "sequel" couldn't have been it either. I haven't played either of them, but apparently they are not connected, sooooo yeah.. glanced right over that one. :p

And funnily enough, I own Phantasmagoria 2. It's in my Steam library. This may be the next game we play, oh boy..

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
There was a game from the early Xbox 360 era, developed by Namco I think (I don't know if it ever even released), and there was an embarrassing screenshot from it that people would post on GAF a lot. It was a terribly stupid looking (maybe futuristic?) car from behind, and there was some text on the screen – it said "accomplished" or something like that. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

There was a game from the early Xbox 360 era, developed by Namco I think (I don't know if it ever even released), and there was an embarrassing screenshot from it that people would post on GAF a lot. It was a terribly stupid looking (maybe futuristic?) car from behind, and there was some text on the screen – it said "accomplished" or something like that. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

ahh, I was trying to think of the name of that the other day, will update if I find it.

Edit: It was the cancelled Frame City Killer.

spnvl.jpg

mnemonicj

I dunno if this fits here, but I'm trying to find an SNES game where the cartridge featured 2 guys in a fighting stance and one of them seemed to wear some type of samurai armor.
I am almost sure it is not Samurai Showdown, and I don't remember the game being about fighting.

It has been difficult to find this out because games on each region might have different artwork.

Niahak

I dunno if this fits here, but I'm trying to find an SNES game where the cartridge featured 2 guys in a fighting stance and one of them seemed to wear some type of samurai armor.
I am almost sure it is not Samurai Showdown, and I don't remember the game being about fighting.

It has been difficult to find this out because games on each region might have different artwork.

What region did you see it in? Do you remember anything about the genre beyond not being fighting? The only things that come to mind are games like Inindo and Nobunaga's Ambition, but at least in the US I don't think they had fight-y artwork.

Alright, someone help me out here. There was this game I played on PC as a teenager where you built and designed spaceships, hopped across planets, and had battles on hexagonal(?) tiles. I'm almost certain there were aliens on the cover, but the game didn't have any sort of protagonist or story that I can remember. I want to say it was release in the mid-2000's, 2007 at the latest. My guess is somewhere between 2004-2006.

Space Empires?

So i can't remember the title! It's a recent 2D indie game (maybe 2-3 years?), that plays like contra/metal slug, futuristic military setting

a second one is in developpment right now (i don't think the sequel released yet)

the first one is not pixel art

sorry, i can't remember much else! I was planning to buy it but i forgot to put it in my wishlist at the time

An old DOS game that had an elf/gnome in the usual green attire and you had to dig around underground to collect hearts but avoid rocks (gravity) and other things. Pretty sure you had to get all the rocks to clear the stage.

The game screen was just the ground like dig dug.

Honestly can't remember much beyond that but used to play it a ton alongside Cosmo, Duke and Commander Keen. Completely forgot about it until the other day.

The ๖ۜBronx;247093942 said:
An old DOS game that had an elf/gnome in the usual green attire and you had to dig around underground to collect hearts but avoid rocks (gravity) and other things. Pretty sure you had to get all the rocks to clear the stage.

The game screen was just the ground like dig dug.

Honestly can't remember much beyond that but used to play it a ton alongside Cosmo, Duke and Commander Keen. Completely forgot about it until the other day.

Sounds like Heartlight.

Wow. Nailed it, thank you. This is going to be one strong nostalgia hit.

Edit: Fucking technology man. I randomly remember the bare minimum about a game I haven't played or thought of since I was using DOS as a kid, confusing grass for dirt and green orbs for rocks. Then I catch a random post on GAF and just post what I recall. Then someone from somewhere in the world sees it, names the game, I take ten seconds to search the name and confirm it's the one I was thinking of. Then the image I click on is from a Google Play page, and here I am one minute from having seen the post to playing the damn thing on my phone in the middle of town. We live in a good age.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So i can't remember the title! It's a recent 2D indie game (maybe 2-3 years?), that plays like contra/metal slug, futuristic military setting

a second one is in developpment right now (i don't think the sequel released yet)

the first one is not pixel art

sorry, i can't remember much else! I was planning to buy it but i forgot to put it in my wishlist at the time

Bleed? Though Bleed 2 is out already.

derwentsi

Neo Member
Sorry if this is vague, but my older brother played this game and this is literally all I remember about the game. I think it was a disaster game but what I remember is it was either a top down or third person game, an item you picked up was a carabiner, which is part of a climber's gear. Only thing else I remember is it was either on the Sega Saturn or Dreamcast and you played as a woman. I doubt anyone can get this with my vague description but I don't remember anything else. It wasn't Tomb Raider, I'm pretty sure it was a stand alone game and had no other games.

Edit: One more thing. I don't think it had snow. For some reason I want to say it was on an island.

Sounds like D2.

mclem

A friend just asked me this: "Do you know of a strategy/tactics RPG on PC where you start out as a prince and your father is killed and there is a horse knight with a red spear?"

He says he thinks it's from the early 2000s, maybe around 2004.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It might be The Battle For Wesnoth's Heir to the Throne campaign. Can't be too sure - I've not played it myself - but I think it fits at least some of the description. First release was in 2005, although since it's a free open-source title under constant development, he could have jumped on at any point.

Other possibilities:
King's Bounty: The Legend is perhaps a little too late for the given timespan (2008), but might be worth double-checking. And, for completeness's sake, probably best to check the *original* King's Bounty, although that's circa 1990ish.

I've looked through the contemporary Heroes of Might and Magic games (IV and V), but I haven't noticed any scenario that fits that description.

Leatherhide

Neo Member
I'm looking for a PC game my friend played late 90's, or possible early 00's.

It was a third person action game and he controlled, what I vaguely remember, some alien creature perhaps. Weak on its own but it could switch characters (transforming into them I think) which all had different abilities (healing being one). I think he could pick the ones he wanted before starting a level. And enemies were the same I think and also had these characters with abilities.

The characters could die and you couldn't switch to them anymore and I think he died the moment all of them were at 0 health.

One of the levels was a destroyed city.

bjork

There was a Sega Genesis side-scrolling game with multiple characters and I think they had different wind based powers. One shot small tornados diagonally across the screen.

For the final boss, you learned the skill to fly and had to fly around and shot him.

Does anyone know the name of this game?

Shadow Blasters?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm looking for a PC game my friend played late 90's, or possible early 00's.

It was a third person action game and he controlled, what I vaguely remember, some alien creature perhaps. Weak on its own but it could switch characters (transforming into them I think) which all had different abilities (healing being one). I think he could pick the ones he wanted before starting a level. And enemies were the same I think and also had these characters with abilities.

The characters could die and you couldn't switch to them anymore and I think he died the moment all of them were at 0 health.

One of the levels was a destroyed city.

Sounds like it might be Evolva.

goddspawn

Neo Member
I remember playing some flash game based on some anime/VN. It's a momentum based game where the main guy is hit by a girl on a bicycle and he is sent flying. Objective is trying to get as far as possible. You have limited power-ups to hit him again or change his trajectory. When he's about to hit the ground, other characters are in the street and if you hit the males, they have negative affects. If you hit the girls, some hit you again some do other things. Certain conditions let you get a super hit off.

Top Bottom