• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions 2 |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use a toaster oven while its sitting on a wooden table or will it burn my table and set my apartment ablaze? What are other toaster safety instructions I should keep in mind? The instructions mentioned stuff like not putting anything above it and keeping a 6" clearance on the sides before use but mentioned nothing about surfaces.

mclem

So, when I was a kid I was always fond of Where's Wally (or Waldo for you Americans), and a number of ripoff titles along similar lines:

bo6BNFB.jpg

Now, I have nieces, and I reckon they might like this sort of thing. So... are there any current books that offer similar experiences? I'm not talking about when the objects are hidden in the images (like, well, hidden object games!), just when the things you're looking for are in plain sight but among overwhelming numbers of other things.

Can I use a toaster oven while its sitting on a wooden table or will it burn my table and set my apartment ablaze? What are other toaster safety instructions I should keep in mind? The instructions mentioned stuff like not putting anything above it and keeping a 6" clearance on the sides before use but mentioned nothing about surfaces.

Depends on the toaster oven and the table.

If it's raised on feet that aren't made of heat transferring material, you're probably ok. If the table has been treated with a nonflammable layer, it's probably fine too. If you're at all worried about it, put a thick layer of material that's heat resistant and nonflammable between the toaster and a table. A sturdy rock might work well enough as you're usually not running a toaster oven too long. I've got mine on a few stacks of tiles left over from a building project.

The thing is that heat rises, and the toaster's heating elements are probably located on the sides or the top of the toaster, hence the warning. Most of the heat is going to be focused towards the center and the top of the toaster. The heating from the elements will warm up the sides pretty good too.

Don't put it under a cabinet or anything like that. Just give it its own little shelf with proper clearance, and keep it away from any fabrics or untreated wood.

Now, I have nieces, and I reckon they might like this sort of thing. So... are there any current books that offer similar experiences? I'm not talking about when the objects are hidden in the images (like, well, hidden object games!), just when the things you're looking for are in plain sight but among overwhelming numbers of other things.

I'm not sure of the distinction. There are the I Spy series of books that have beautifully created scenes where you need to find the items listed. PB Bear is one from my childhood I can remember.

Hydrus

Guys I need some serious help! Trying to find a gif of a dude with this confused look on his face, then says " ...no!". It looked like it was from a reality tv show. Guy in the gif is an older white guy. Has a beard. I used to see this gif all the time. Cant find it anywhere and its killing me!

Minamu

My gpu seems to idle at around 80 celsius, that's pretty bad right? It's many years old so it's understandable. It looks pretty sticky with dust and I don't know how to clean it up. I'm not tech savvy enough to remove the fans for cleaning without breaking something :/

Also, is it a bad idea to buy a new pc in parts over a few months? Like the chassi one month, harddrives the next, and so on? I'm not sure I have the budget to build a pc by buying everything in one go. This assumes I have a plan of action of course and know which parts fit together, I'm not likely to end up with a motherboard that won't fit in the chassi :lol

GPUs can generally handle higher temperatures than CPUs, although idling at 80 isn't good. The recommended way of cleaning computer cases is using a can of compressed air. Personally I use a vacuum cleaner, but that can apparently generate static discharges.

There is no technical issue preventing you from buying parts separately when you can afford them.

Minamu

GPUs can generally handle higher temperatures than CPUs, although idling at 80 isn't good. The recommended way of cleaning computer cases is using a can of compressed air. Personally I use a vacuum cleaner, but that can apparently generate static discharges.

There is no technical issue preventing you from buying parts separately when you can afford them.
I think it started at 50-60 but jumped to 80 after loading a game. But it stayed there after I turned it off. I've used compressed air before, and vacuum cleaners, but there's this sticky dust mess in the gpu vent system that won't go away. Looks like it needs hot water and soap, but yeah, probably not the wisest idea, no? :)

As for the parts, I'm slightly worried about ending up with inadequate parts because the tech evolves so fast, perhaps faster than I can buy them. But maybe that's an unfounded fear? I mean, it'd feel a bit sad to buy a new gpu now, and have it be a lesser model in six months when the rest of the parts are in place :)

Oreoleo

As for the parts, I'm slightly worried about ending up with inadequate parts because the tech evolves so fast, perhaps faster than I can buy them. But maybe that's an unfounded fear? I mean, it'd feel a bit sad to buy a new gpu now, and have it be a lesser model in six months when the rest of the parts are in place :)

Buy the GPU last. Other PC parts won't fall behind the curve as quickly as a GPU will. Things like hard drives, RAM and power supplies are relatively eternal in comparison.

Minamu

Buy the GPU last. Other PC parts won't fall behind the curve as quickly as a GPU will. Things like hard drives, RAM and power supplies are relatively eternal in comparison.
Yeah that seems like a wise decision. I assume motherboards are fairly lenient with what modern GPU's they can handle as well?

Oreoleo

Yeah that seems like a wise decision. I assume motherboards are fairly lenient with what modern GPU's they can handle as well?
Yup, all GPUs are on PCIe these days- any mobo will be compatible with any GPU. The CPU is what you need to concern yourself with RE mobo compatibility, especially if you're planning on going Intel as their CPUs change socket type practically every year (which makes planning a build and in particular upgrading an old build a royal pain). In comparison all of AMD's new Ryzen CPUs will be on the same socket for the foreseeable future.

Minamu

Yup, all GPUs are on PCIe these days- any mobo will be compatible with any GPU. The CPU is what you need to concern yourself with RE mobo compatibility, especially if you're planning on going Intel as their CPUs change socket type practically every year (which makes planning a build and in particular upgrading an old build a royal pain). In comparison all of AMD's new Ryzen CPUs will be on the same socket for the foreseeable future.
Thanks. I should head on over to the pc building thread. It sounds like the mobo and cpu should have a high priority. I'm leaning towards intel, I've been with amd all my life basically.

Brofield

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has an option for one or two players on a single system over Wireless Local play.

If it were one person per Switch, max connections I could have is 8. What is stopping me to say if I have 6 Switches in vicinity, and two people per Switch, I could have 12 player Mario Kart that doesn't require a LAN connection?

EDIT: I just realized this is in off-topic, and not gaming section 😑

I could have sworn that there was some trivia about a severed head that was displayed on a spike above Westminster or London Bridge whose identity people simply forgot, but now I can't find anything about it.

I was talking with some bar friends about ridiculous historical facts, and I remembered that I had heard that alongside Oliver Cromwell's head, there was one belonging to another hated traitor, but then there was another head that nobody could remember the identity of, nor why he was displayed among the most vilified criminals in England. I remember reading this and thinking it was hilarious, like "Fuck you, Oliver Cromwell, you traitor to the crown! And fuck you, you... who the hell is that? Why did we put him up there?"

Reading on the history of Cromwell's head shows that the two other heads were well-known. So does anyone know what I'm remembering? Did I just make it up?

Euphony

Banned
Is "a clockwork of" proper grammar?

As in "a clockwork of rulesets and mechanics".

While I'm not an English major or grammar expert, nor have I ever seen clockwork used like that, I feel like "a clockwork of" does make sense. I think it gives a nice visual image of different parts coming together to create a complex interconnected system, like your example of a rulesets and mechanics. But again, take my reply with a grain of salt as I'm not totally certain it's grammatically correct.

Eegah

Alright, GAF. How do I get a deer out of my yard? Everything I find online is about keeping deer out, but what about when they get trapped in? I have a completely enclosed backyard, and yesterday a deer appeared. It must have jumped a fence to get in, but now it won't leave.

Almost all of the fencing is at least 6 feet tall. I have been keeping 2-3 of the gates open, but it never even gets close to them. It just stays in the corner of the yard.

I think I just have to face the fact that I have a new pet.

PtM

Banned
Alright, GAF. How do I get a deer out of my yard? Everything I find online is about keeping deer out, but what about when they get trapped in? I have a completely enclosed backyard, and yesterday a deer appeared. It must have jumped a fence to get in, but now it won't leave.

Almost all of the fencing is at least 6 feet tall. I have been keeping 2-3 of the gates open, but it never even gets close to them. It just stays in the corner of the yard.

Bring a dog over.
No chihuahua.

Zoe

Animal control

NateDog

I'm looking for something to cover my novels / small books that I bring when out so they don't get damaged or wet when I have them in my backpack / satchel bag but I'm finding it extremely hard to find. If I Google it (pretty much every variation of "book protector" I can think of) I generally only find stuff like companies that will laminate books for you, but I'm basically looking for something like a hard leather (or similar) cover which I can either zip or clip shut that will keep it tight and protected. Can I get such a thing? I'm in Ireland but buying from the EU is good. I've seen things I could use if I had to but nothing that is actually made for this purpose.

OraleeWey

How much can a 60-100lbs (Pitbull Terrier, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Shepherd) cost annually in regards to vaccines and food?

Regginator

So I just installed the FB Purity extension (Firefox), but it doesn't seem to be working... I restarted the browser, deleted and reinstalled the extension, and even rebooted my computer, but nothing. Any reason as to why? My first thought was that, seeing as this extension is over six years old, it probably doesn't function with current Facebook, but some of the positive reviews are in the last months...

So I just installed the FB Purity extension (Firefox), but it doesn't seem to be working... I restarted the browser, deleted and reinstalled the extension, and even rebooted my computer, but nothing. Any reason as to why? My first thought was that, seeing as this extension is over six years old, it probably doesn't function with current Facebook, but some of the positive reviews are in the last months...
You can get a new version (May 2017) from the developer's private site, http://www.fbpurity.com/install.htm .

I got my USA tax returns back today with form 9143 (Request for missing information form) stapled to it. I forgot to sign my return like a dummy.

Should I send back the same 1040, with the signature on it, or a new copy? The one they sent back has some red ink on it from the IRS. The 9143 is double stapled to the 1040

Farooq

Banned
If it was discovered that we were living in a simulation, would you still resume your daily activities such as going to work and/or other stuff that involves not dying?

If it was discovered that we were living in a simulation, would you still resume your daily activities such as going to work and/or other stuff that involves not dying?
Sure, a sufficiently complex simulated world would be no different than our current one.

KarmaCow

Is there really still no way to make custom tiles in Windows 10 for non-Metro (non-x86 whatever its called) apps? Or something beyond just a small icon in a large bland box. TileCreator is terrible but I can't find anything that even comes close.

Also, is there anyway to have a dark theme for file explorer and generally the top status/menu bar on windows? It's annoying have a dark theme nearly every where else like in Firefox or the Windows settings menus and then opening up a blindingly white screen when using file explorer.

Tambini

Is there anything I can clean a laptop touchpad with to fix it from being so jerky and unresponsive? Just happened all of a sudden so it might just be fucked

Sevenfold

Where do WatchMojo and other similar sites get their footage? They can be really on the ball with their videos cropping up in my recommended on the day there happens t be a bit of buzz about the subject (more entertainment than gaming I guess.)
How on the inside are they? Is it done with agents? Are they granted access to footage archives in any way or are they grabbing footage from streams or physical media, or 'acquired'?

Just curious is all given their Andy Serkis performances video was on point as far as I'd just watched an appearance of his on TV that I'd missed the night before.

I'm looking for a game I don't remember it. It's an old FPS.

It had a minigun with bladed, like a turbine, to shred enemies up close. I remember this very turbine like blade, not long barrels.

Frillen

If I connect a 1080p PC to a 4K TV with an HDMI cable and download something in 4k and play it of from the PC, will the TV show 1080p or 4k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom