• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions 2 |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch298807

What did LucasArts call the accessories/stuff that came with their adventure games? Like the dial-a-pirate wheel that came with Monkey Island 2.

Edit: Should have googled harder. Feelies is what I was looking for

dcelw540

Dumb and a bit embarrassing question I shaved down below and have pimples now, what should I use to get rid of them? I know its nothing serious as i haven't done anything in over a year.

Minamu

Dumb and a bit embarrassing question I shaved down below and have pimples now, what should I use to get rid of them? I know its nothing serious as i haven't done anything in over a year.
They'll go away on their own in a day or two probably. Maybe some lotion, I dunno. I doubt there's anything in particular you can do to make them go away faster.

NateDog

They'll go away on their own in a day or two probably. Maybe some lotion, I dunno. I doubt there's anything in particular you can do to make them go away faster.
Yeah this happens to me most times and I've been doing this for years. Honestly putting extra cream on (like moisturiser, as opposed to something to cool my skin after shaving which I'll always use naturally) always makes me worse. But that might not be the case for you.

Elwainen

can junior members (who cant post threads) post questions on here that could deserve there own thread but cant have it because we cant do that?

Sorry that was super meta :/

SomTervo

How come on Firefox I can use keyboard shortcuts to make things bold/italic on GAF, but on Chrome I can't do that?

And is there a setting on Chrome to enable this?

Example: I want to make the word "this" bold. I highlight the word and hold down CTRL then press B.

On Chrome, nothing happens: this.

On Firefox, the word goes bold: this.

Whyyyyy

PtM

Banned
How come on Firefox I can use keyboard shortcuts to make things bold/italic on GAF, but on Chrome I can't do that?

And is there a setting on Chrome to enable this?

Example: I want to make the word "this" bold. I highlight the word and hold down CTRL then press B.

On Chrome, nothing happens: this.

On Firefox, the word goes bold: this.

Whyyyyy
Maybe engine-specific JavaScript on GAF.
Maybe some browser support for BB-type text fields on FF.

mclem

What did LucasArts call the accessories/stuff that came with their adventure games? Like the dial-a-pirate wheel that came with Monkey Island 2.

Edit: Should have googled harder. Feelies is what I was looking for

The term predates LucasArts - I want to say it started with Infocom. Infocom's were a lot more elaborate, too.

Mistake

Can someone send the bish gif where he slaps a guy off a chair?

Also, is dudebro ever going to come out? I've pretty much given up all hope on it

cantona222

I didn't play a lot of RPGs and not that familiar with genre. However, I want to try one of the 2D Final Fantasy games (Never played any 2D one). Which one do you recommend? And what version (what console)?

I didn't play a lot of RPGs and not that familiar with genre. However, I want to try one of the 2D Final Fantasy games (Never played any 2D one). Which one do you recommend? And what version (what console)?
Final Fantasy 6 is probably the most popular one although they're all pretty good and there are plenty of people on this forum that prefer FF1, FF4 or FF5. The GBA and SNES versions are both great and if you use an emulator then you can also patch the game to remove various bugs.

IrishNinja

potted plants, yeah?

so ive one one on my balcony here in south florida, and i water it a bit most days (not enough to choke it, mind) but i'm unclear how to maintain it.

when leaves are entirely brown, do you just cut them from way down or pull out the roots? what about green leaves with brown (presumably dead) tips, or sides like that, should i just cut those off? i can't imagine they'll come back to life, but i'm wondering if i'm doing this wrong.

Larger pots are easier to maintain since they can hold moisture longer. Different plants have different rules but in general you can remove dead or dying leaves. Be careful about removing parts of leaves. Leaving an open cut might hurt the plant more than removing the entire leaf.

Joe

Is time just a measurement of distance? If so, does that mean our instinctive perception of the decaying process over "time" is misleading?

I really have no idea if these are stupid questions or not. This is giving me a big mindfuck.

RangerX

Banned
I've always wondered when someone makes a thread and they have part of an article displayed as a quote, how is that done?

Podge293

When Americans say "coffee with cream" do they mean milk or actual cream?

I'm not an American so don't take this as gospel but isn't it half milk half cream?

On a separate topic, who makes the call to go to OT2, OT3 etc etc?

Is it system driven on GAF or just a desire for a new one after a certain number of pages? Could have sworn I saw an OT still being posted in while an OT2 was live

PtM

Banned
I'm not an American so don't take this as gospel but isn't it half milk half cream?

Is it system driven on GAF or just a desire for a new one after a certain number of pages? Could have sworn I saw an OT still being posted in while an OT2 was live
Thread performance gets messy at 4k posts or something.

Minamu

There's usually a transition phase around 20k posts, and a mod needs to lock OT1 manually so even though OT2 is live, sometimes people can post in OT1 for a short while. Second and third OT etc are usually planned ahead of time by either the original poster or someone with a high post count in said OT. Who gets to make which gaming OT for instance is usually also mod sanctioned and decided way in advance.

Podge293

Thread performance gets messy at 4k posts or something.

There's usually a transition phase around 20k posts, and a mod needs to lock OT1 manually so even though OT2 is live, sometimes people can post in OT1 for a short while. Second and third OT etc are usually planned ahead of time by either the original poster or someone with a high post count in said OT. Who gets to make which gaming OT for instance is usually also mod sanctioned and decided way in advance.

Thanks lads. Especially minamu that was pretty detailed.

UFO

Banned
When Americans say "coffee with cream" do they mean milk or actual cream?

Half and half is the most common coffee additive in America. Cream or "heavy cream" is usually only used to make whipped cream. Milk is rarely used in coffee. We also like our flavored creams over here- Vanilla, hazelnut, and (my personally favorite) peppermint mocha.

Minamu

Thanks lads. Especially minamu that was pretty detailed.
No problem :)

A bit of a clarification, but who makes OT's isn't exactly "mod sanctioned" so much as there is a "OT OT" where people can 'claim' the privilege of making an Official Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653
That's new to me :D I've only been involved in the decision in my own OT's. By sanctioned, I mainly meant that if user X has claimed dibs on the next thread, a thread made by user Y is likely to get locked by a mod. I've seen it happen, I'm sure :)

Martian

Is there a website (or youtube channel, whatever) that posts old game footage? Like cut places from videogames, or cancelled games or removed features? I just saw some red dead redemption pictures of places that were removed from the final game and I'm jonesing for a fix

PtM

Banned
Is there a website (or youtube channel, whatever) that posts old game footage? Like cut places from videogames, or cancelled games or removed features? I just saw some red dead redemption pictures of places that were removed from the final game and I'm jonesing for a fix
Unseen64 or something.

I bought a tablet for my elderly father and I'd like to load it with films he likes, but the prices on google play are a bit steep for some of the older movies he would like. Is there a safe cheaper place I can get them without illegally downloading them?

OraleeWey

I bought a tablet for my elderly father and I'd like to load it with films he likes, but the prices on google play are a bit steep for some of the older movies he would like. Is there a safe cheaper place I can get them without illegally downloading them?

Netflix? You can download movies to the device. Not all movies but a great huge amount. VUDU has some movies you can stream free with ads. Not a huge list but there might be something there.

MiszMasz

TCRF, but it's mostly text and images.

Edit: apologies, i should have just added this to my post above.

Sjefen

Where and how can I play Chrono trigger?

I have PSVita, PS3 and PS4. Live in Europe and is not available on PSN

Edit: wrong tread

Minamu

Am I wrong for finding this annoying? I'm going to Rhodos this summer with my girlfriend, first time abroad together, feels nice to finally do something unique (for us) and get away for a week.

Thing is, my girlfriend's colleague, the wife of my boss, is such a strange person and seemingly can't help herself but copy my girlfriend in a multitude of ways. We're talking hobbies, youtube channels to follow, buying the same food, shoes, clothes in general, even speech patterns and mannerisms. It's harmless and endearing although ever so slightly creepy.

Two days ago my girlfriend tells me that her colleague has been asking her about our holiday plans, and that she has now booked a vacation on Rhodos as well. Same island, same city, even the same hotel... thankfully a week or two before we get there, but still. She did the same thing last year when my girlfriend went to Gran Canaria with some friends.

I can't help but feel that our vacation is kinda tainted now, is that weird given the situation? XD Had it been anyone else, I wouldn't care, or if she had booked it before we did, but now we did all the hotel scouting for her basically, and she never would've come up with this idea on her own. It's kind of transparent that she needs to do the exact same thing or something.

Edit: I suppose I wouldn't've cared so much if they had gone there a week after us, but she just had to beat us to the punch apparently. Not that it's a competition but again, not the first time.

PtM

Banned
Am I wrong for finding this annoying? I'm going to Rhodos this summer with my girlfriend, first time abroad together, feels nice to finally do something unique (for us) and get away for a week.

Thing is, my girlfriend's colleague, the wife of my boss, is such a strange person and seemingly can't help herself but copy my girlfriend in a multitude of ways. We're talking hobbies, youtube channels to follow, buying the same food, shoes, clothes in general, even speech patterns and mannerisms. It's harmless and endearing although ever so slightly creepy.

Two days ago my girlfriend tells me that her colleague has been asking her about our holiday plans, and that she has now booked a vacation on Rhodos as well. Same island, same city, even the same hotel... thankfully a week or two before we get there, but still. She did the same thing last year when my girlfriend went to Gran Canaria with some friends.

I can't help but feel that our vacation is kinda tainted now, is that weird given the situation? XD Had it been anyone else, I wouldn't care, or if she had booked it before we did, but now we did all the hotel scouting for her basically, and she never would've come up with this idea on her own. It's kind of transparent that she needs to do the exact same thing or something.

Edit: I suppose I wouldn't've cared so much if they had gone there a week after us, but she just had to beat us to the punch apparently. Not that it's a competition but again, not the first time.
It doesn't matter.

Is Nier Automata's lead protag named after a Hamlet reference? It's somewhat about existentialism, right?

"2B or not 2B" specifically. I've never played the game, I just thought it'd be clever if this were the case.

Edit: this isn't the gaming one, huh

Minamu

So you're making rum and coke aka cuba libre? No idea how it'll taste but coke zero does have zero sugar, if that matters. No one in their right mind would say any ingredient is healthy though and I'd wager that the alcohol will negate any potential positive impact of the drink.

Apt101

So you're making rum and coke aka cuba libre? No idea how it'll taste but coke zero does have zero sugar, if that matters. No one in their right mind would say any ingredient is healthy though and I'd wager that the alcohol will negate any potential positive impact of the drink.

Just on the topic, rum and diet gingerale is pretty awesome. No caffeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom