• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Can I get some opinions here. I am tempted to sell my deluxe items on the marketplace but they seem to always be rising. What are the chances the developer would just allow these items to drop in the future making these items pointless?

It's so tempting to sell them now but I'd feel like an idiot if they just continue to rise.

voOsh

Can I get some opinions here. I am tempted to sell my deluxe items on the marketplace but they seem to always be rising. What are the chances the developer would just allow these items to drop in the future making these items pointless?

It's so tempting to sell them now but I'd feel like an idiot if they just continue to rise.

I'd be more concerned with the developer eventually ramping up production of new, higher quality cosmetics. Perhaps those deluxe items will always be highly valuable just due to their rarity, but I think we can all agree there is lots of room for improvement in the cosmetics and I hope to one day look more fly than PU.

NJDEN

I want two things. First, a kill cam. It really blows when I just die and I'm left wondering who, where, and how? Plus it would reveal mistakes that I could improve upon, and avoid making them in the future. Second, a very general directional hit indicator. It's very frustrating being shot without any indication from where. It cannot be super specific, or that would ruin the fun, but I would at least like to know that I'm being shot in the ass by a guy two yards away with a shotgun... instead I'm looking at the building 70 yards away for a sniper... I should at least know a general direction of a bullet impact.

Majine

Banned
Second, a very general hit indicator. It's very frustrating being shot without any indication from where. It cannot be super specific, or that would ruin the fun, but I would at least like to know that I'm being shot in the ass by a guy two yards away with a shotgun... instead I'm looking at the building 70 yards away for a sniper... I should at least know a general direction of a bullet impact.

Actually, I prefer if it didn't. The game is already good at indicating its events in the context of the world. Some stupid UI thing telling you the direction you're getting hit from would betray the spirit of the game.

I'd be more concerned with the developer eventually ramping up production of new, higher quality cosmetics. Perhaps those deluxe items will always be highly valuable just due to their rarity, but I think we can all agree there is lots of room for improvement in the cosmetics and I hope to one day look more fly than PU.

Definitely also a concern! Think I'm just gonna sell everything but the bandana.

jediyoshi

I'd imagine 0 chance, no point. Just assume there's always going to be a finite number of them and they'll be the Vintage Earbuds of pubg.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I want two things. First, a kill cam. It really blows when I just die and I'm left wondering who, where, and how? Plus it would reveal mistakes that I could improve upon, and avoid making them in the future. Second, a very general directional hit indicator. It's very frustrating being shot without any indication from where. It cannot be super specific, or that would ruin the fun, but I would at least like to know that I'm being shot in the ass by a guy two yards away with a shotgun... instead I'm looking at the building 70 yards away for a sniper... I should at least know a general direction of a bullet impact.

Agree on killcam, would be nice just to see their view and as you said correct mistakes on your part. On the indication of hits, it is "in the game" with audio as cue but maybe just a four arrow indicator around your reticle or something just indicating the direction would be good. I have been using the audio cues of shots to pinpoint players and for the most part been accurate though so no real bother for me.

NJDEN

Actually, I prefer if it didn't. The game is already good at indicating its events in the context of the world. Some stupid UI thing telling you the direction you're getting hit from would betray the spirit of the game.

I don't think so. I feel like an indicator would simulate the physical impact of a bullet on your person. I think it would be a good complement to the audio, but it wouldn't completely defeat it. If shot in the back in real life I'd like to think I would feel it as well as hear it.

I saw on the Steam forums that a kill cam is coming for Solo. (Also that they're working on implementing vaulting)

That is awesome, really looking forward to seeing that.

Agree on killcam, would be nice just to see their view and as you said correct mistakes on your part. On the indication of hits, it is "in the game" with audio as cue but maybe just a four arrow indicator around your reticle or something just indicating the direction would be good. I have been using the audio cues of shots to pinpoint players and for the most part been accurate though so no real bother for me.

I'm only using vanilla computer speakers and don't have bi-directional audio, or anything super fancy. I think just a super general directional system would work. It could even be as basic as front or behind, so at least you are facing the right 180 degrees.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm only using vanilla computer speakers and don't have bi-directional audio, or anything super fancy. I think just a super general directional system would work. It could even be as basic as front or behind, so at least you are facing the right 180 degrees.

I'm only using two Logitech speakers and I can usually find where the shots are coming from. All about listening to directions by moving your character/camera.

Kadin

If I've learned anything over the years, it's always beneficial to hang onto early stuff and stash it for later. Now it's no guarantee that it'll increase a ton in value but more often than not it does go up at least a bit.

I'm hanging onto everything with the expectation that eventually some of this stuff will be phased out. No evidence to support this, just based on past experiences with other games.

JDB

Banned
Fuck me. I find everything I need; ghilliesuit, sniper, AR, all the healing items in the world including one of those syringes, level 3 armor and helmet but literally not a single scope after searching through the entire containers area. Not even a 2x or something. Ended up 4th place :/

Ruff

There are so many cool areas and buildings in this game yet the circle always wants to end in an empty cornfield.

Burt

There are so many cool areas and buildings in this game yet the circle always wants to end in an empty cornfield.

Cornfields are the best

I had my first game end with a circle over 98% water today. There was one rock outcrop in the middle. That wasn't fun.

GodofWine

I don't think so. I feel like an indicator would simulate the physical impact of a bullet on your person. I think it would be a good complement to the audio, but it wouldn't completely defeat it. If shot in the back in real life I'd like to think I would feel it as well as hear it.

Agreed, for parity sake a faint white indicator for sound and a red one for hits. IRL youd hear and feel it, hardware shouldnt present a huge advantage.

dtcm83

Tonight after grabbing the latest patch I had my first CTD ever since buying the game. Appears to be the same problem many others are reporting, audio started stuttering out towards the end of the match then I got kicked out to desktop with no warning or error messages. Was in top 10, too :-( Hope this gets ironed out in the next patch.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Stumbled upon the Karabiner just before, had a few guys descend on us and kill my friends but I was able to use this baby on them when we were right up at the edge of the first blue. Boy is it bloody powerful, and so damn satisfying knocking a guy down instantly.

Yep, I've had two crashes today. One just a sudden CTD, the other a rain match where suddenly the rain sounds stopped, then gunfire sounded choppy, then I got the memory error.

Severance

The game has crashed three times so far with the memory error since updating today. It seems to strike the later a match goes which makes me uneasy investing too much time into the game. That's enough for me until the next patch. The devs are about to go on vacation too, heh. Ahh the joys of early access. Time to take on that backlog at least!

SZips

They have some plans for at least 2nd official island, but game also will get mod and map creation tools after it leaves early access.

I have high hopes that the second map will include some snowy regions, if not the entire thing. It would open the doors for all new types of camo/clothing plus the potential for snow and blizzard like conditions would be amazing.

NJDEN

Agreed, for parity sake a faint white indicator for sound and a red one for hits. IRL youd hear and feel it, hardware shouldnt present a huge advantage.

Exactly... I just tried the game with some fancy headphones and wow... you can hear where everything comes from, but it sucks for people that own don't decent headphones, are hard of hearing, or just hate having stuff on their head.

Does anyone else get constantly started when they get shot, or is it just me?

I'm a grown ass adult type person, and I literally jump in shock every time I get shot from out of nowhere (or if someone shows up in front of my face quickly).

It makes the game awesome for me and immersive in a way, but I feel like a baby constantly getting started, hahaha.

Tovarisc

a4YxA6z.png

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/857927966507978752

Definitely not just you. Lots of quiet moments and looting and then BAM out of nowhere makes me jump.

At least there's one more of me :)

I genuinely really like that it happens to me which is the weird part. I would never think a weird 3rd person shooter where my character looks NOTHING like me would hold my attention that well, but I sit there dead quiet while I play it, and I really think I hold my breath for a lot of it too. It's just really nerve-racking.

I'm crashing so much since this latest update. Almost every session is ending in crash.

I have to wonder if the windows 10 update has something to do with it. I'm the only one of the people I play with that is having this issue even though we all have similar machines.

The only two things I want out of this game is the ability to reconnect to a server and a log of all your games. It'd be awesome to see a map with where you went, what you picked up etc.. and what other people were doing each game.

I have high hopes that the second map will include some snowy regions, if not the entire thing. It would open the doors for all new types of camo/clothing plus the potential for snow and blizzard like conditions would be amazing.

I doubt it would be in it, but imagine wounding another player, losing sight of them and then hunting them down by using their footprints in the snow and trail of blood.

Wouldn't it be taxing having all of these footprints in the snow, with a 100 players?

It would be, but they can just implement something like "If no one is around (x) grouping of tracks they disappear" if that's something that they would actually be looking into.

Like, if you're 20 yards behind the guy there's still tracks, but as soon as no one is within that radius, they just erase themselves. The world "erases" outside of the bubble/safe area as well, so that would get rid of anything extra outside.

Or that's how I would it see it working at least. Same way that some games leave bodies in rooms until you get too far away from them, and then they de-spawn.

Scotch

Ooh, I had no idea you could sell the items on the Steam marketplace. I exchanged some items ingame for points, but I'll be selling them from now. I'd rather have the 5 cents. ;)
Some of those prices are insane. 150 bucks for a trenchcoat?

Speaking of items, how do the crates work exactly? Do the 800p crates contain lesser items than the more expensive ones? I've gotten shitty tank-tops from 2800p crates so I don't know if I should bother.

I played a first person only SMG round the other day and it's terrifying throughout the entire match.

-The current low FOV makes it feel incredibly claustrophobic
-You can't turn your head all the way around in free look, which means someone could honestly sneak up right behind you
-You obviously can't peek around corners or windows

Running across a field is even scarier than in the main game.

Somnia

I played a first person only SMG round the other day and it's terrifying throughout the entire match.

-The current low FOV makes it feel incredibly claustrophobic
-You can't turn your head all the way around in free look, which means someone could honestly sneak up right behind you
-You obviously can't peek around corners or windows

Running across a field is even scarier than in the main game.

I can't wait for permanent 1st person only servers for a change of pace :)

Tovarisc

The level of the player eyes is so weird in first person and the objects are out of proportion. When you open doors you are no higher than the letter box or handle.

There is some proportion issues, but 1st person camera is also more or less in your chest than in your head.

SomTervo

I'm so close to buying this, but that £27 price point is pretty brutal. For perspective, that's like $35. It's JUST too much for me to dive in.

But I've been dreaming of a realistic survival battle royale type game since I was about 13 years old.

Is it worth it?

(I've got a very powerful rig so I doubt performance would be a problem.)

Also how long are rounds, usually?

Might have been posted already but deserves a repost: https://twitter.com/jbellizzi253/status/857497901513224192

YOLO$WAG levels exceeding critical mass.

That is amazing

Somnia

I'm so close to buying this, but that £27 price point is pretty brutal. For perspective, that's like £35. It's JUST too much for me to dive in.

But I've been dreaming of a realistic survival battle royale type game since I was about 13 years old.

Is it worth it?

That is amazing

You will 100% get your money's worth. Honestly it's worth that price tag.

dtcm83

I'm so close to buying this, but that £27 price point is pretty brutal. For perspective, that's like £35. It's JUST too much for me to dive in.

Is it worth it?

That is amazing

If you've been dreaming of this type of thing since you were 13 years old, I'd say this is probably as close as you will get to that dream. I'd say it is plenty worth it. I have around 30 or so hours into the game and so far it has been well worth the price for me. Despite your powerful rig, the game is still in early access and has quite a few performance issues even on the most powerful gear. But don't let that stop you, it still runs well enough to be very enjoyable. Rounds are typically around 30-40 mins depending on how long you survive.

SomTervo

You will 100% get your money's worth. Honestly it's worth that price tag.

If you've been dreaming of this type of thing since you were 13 years old, I'd say this is probably as close as you will get to that dream. I'd say it is plenty worth it. I have around 30 or so hours into the game and so far it has been well worth the price for me. Despite your powerful rig, the game is still in early access and has quite a few performance issues even on the most powerful gear. But don't let that stop you, it still runs well enough to be very enjoyable. Rounds are typically around 30-40 mins depending on how long you survive.

Damn you all. Think I'll pick it up next week.

30-40 mins sounds OK but I don't have bucketloads of time these days.

Smidget

Damn you all. Think I'll pick it up next week.

30-40 mins sounds OK but I don't have bucketloads of time these days.

It's amazing. Just do it.

You can jump out immediately and attempt to kill as many people in the area as possible. This will bring the average time each round is significantly lol

Top Bottom