• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Japan) |OT| The Gooch's Final (?) Fantasy

Eagerly awaiting my shipping confirmation! It's been a while since I've had a console RPG of any kind to get stuck into, let alone a Wii one, so that has me even more excited.

Not sure I 100% understand the intricacies of the battle system, but hopefully enough people on GAF will be getting this so that we can help each other out.

Sammy Samusu said:
Are we sure the coop online is up to six players, and not four?

I hope they have some BADASS monsters with 999999 HP.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/10/last_story_online/

Nintendo and Mistwalker have been keeping one major part of The Last Story a secret all this time. This week's Jump reveals that the upcoming Wii RPG has a six player Online component.

Using the game's "Raid Lobby," players can access a six player cooperative and competitive play mode. The competitive play has players selecting their favorite character and facing off on the battle field. The cooperative play has all players team up to take on a powerful monster.

Also the main story has 6 players at once in most cases but sometimes a little less and sometimes there's 7.

thefro

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Eagerly awaiting my shipping confirmation! It's been a while since I've had a console RPG of any kind to get stuck into, let alone a Wii one, so that has me even more excited.

Not sure I 100% understand the intricacies of the battle system, but hopefully enough people on GAF will be getting this so that we can help each other out.

From what we saw in the presentation, the tutorial includes illustrations, video, and an image showing what controls to press to perform the command.

The game gradually adds new elements through the first part of gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgQ0ip-cojA&t=12m33s

http://twitter.com/mistwalker
Skills can be learned little by little from beginning. Detailed tutorial. Including balance, it is easy to go into play. (HS) #thelaststory

mehdi_san

Fuuuuuuuuuu i just realized the deadline for the preorder bonus points on clubnintendo.jp was yesterday :( I can't believe I forgot about it...

Macstorm

Again, no guarantee of anything, but...
t0441v.jpg

RPGCrazied

Meh, after the whole Xenoblade thing, I don't get excited for games until they have an NA release date. Saves me the disappointment.

Macstorm

RPGCrazied said:
Meh, after the whole Xenoblade thing, I don't get excited for games until they have an NA release date. Saves me the disappointment.
What "whole Xenoblade thing" are you talking about? Just them not releasing it yet?

RPGCrazied

Macstorm said:
What "whole Xenoblade thing" are you talking about? Just them not releasing it yet?

That has something to do with it... we are slowly creeping up to a year of it being out in Japan, with no shred of evidence that it'll come.

desu

Thanks froo, for the commitment to the game over the past weeks and months :). Nice OP.

The M.O.B said:
We need Emulator screens of this game ASAP.

Preordered TLS the second the preorders went up on PA. Also upgraded my PC just for TLS, hopefully there wont be problems with the game!

DaBuddaDa

RPGCrazied said:
That has something to do with it... we are slowly creeping up to a year of it being out in Japan, with no shred of evidence that it'll come.
It actually sold quite poorly in Japan too, sadly. 140k I think.

Macstorm

RPGCrazied said:
Understandable, though with NoA time has no meaning. See DQ6 (1yr), DQ9 (1yr), and Glory of Heracles (2yrs). Xenoblade's got till June before it's been a year.

Mashing

Based on your description the battle systems appears to be one of the more innovative ones I've seen in a long time.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Have really high hopes with this one, everything about it looks and sounds great... at first I was a bit worried about the battle system (I always felt Sakaguchi was at his best with turn based or ATB type systems), but it sounds like it could be really entertaining and innovative.

I have total faith in the Gooch, and loved loved loved both BD and LO.

Eurogamer
Nintendo has explained its decision to only release promising Wii Japanese role-playing game The Last Story in Japan.

"With all the conversions, when we do it in Europe we've got to do the whole of Europe," Nintendo UK boss David Yarnton told Eurogamer. "So it's multiple languages. It has to be viable.

"We've got so much on our plate at the moment. The most important one is in the first quarter this year. Kirby's Epic Yarn is the most important title. We've got some great product coming out.

"On top of that, when we add in 3DS, it's just so much."

Nintendo disappointed many European and North American Wii owners when it revealed it's decision to keep The Last Story Japan exclusive.

The Mistwalker-developed title has attracted a great deal of attention from Western gamers through the release of eye-catching trailers and translated information from Japan.

While Nintendo repeated it's "no plans to release The Last Story in Europe and the US" stance to Eurogamer, it did offer a glimmer of hope.

"We've released quite a lot of RPGs on the Wii in the UK," Yarnton said. "It's an area that's been growing for us. It's up to the market. We never write anything off."

*leaves thread.

Netto-kun

Pre-ordered it from Amazon Japan (wth, price went up to 8400 yen?), hopefully I'll get the game in 2 weeks along with VC3. Looking forward to it. Battle and the gathering system looks fun.

Macstorm

Notorious_Roy said:
Eurogamer
Yeah, same old song and dance. The game isn't even out in Japan yet, so I don't care what the official NoE line is yet. I'm not surprised that's their official line right now.

JoeFenix

I refuse to believe, what the fuck does Nintendo have for Wii in 2011, THEY HAVE to release SOMETHING!?

Ugh, it's like everytime they get some good buzz going they do their best to kill it...

thefro

JoeFenix said:
I refuse to believe, what the fuck does Nintendo have for Wii in 2011, THEY HAVE to release SOMETHING!?

Ugh, it's like everytime they get some good buzz going they do their best to kill it...

I wouldn't believe anyone at NOE, they seem to know nothing of what's really going on.

Personally I wouldn't start freaking out unless we get through E3 with no release announcement. I wouldn't be shocked if it pops up in a PR before that. They're not just going to have Mario Sports Mix and Zelda as 1st party games this year.

It is really inexcusable in 2011 that Nintendo can't announce a worldwide release of a game and have a worldwide launch within a couple months.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
While I dont believe the Eurogamer piece as being definitive at all, I am curious as to why NOA and NOE, or any publisher of Japanese games, dont do partial localizations and just do a small release of a game with the original Japanese VA and only translated subtitles to test the waters, as opposed to the current system of just saying "fuck it, its too much work."

You would think that a 10-30k test release with only translated menus and subtitles wouldnt be that big of a task or expense and would at least give them an idea on how receptive an area is to the game.

Obviously it wouldnt work for every game, but large production titles like The Last Story and Xenoblade seem to be a great waste in potential. And even if they dont find theres enough demand to warrant full fledged localization and a release campaign they would still have the translated game on hand to meet what little demand there was from the hardcore community.

wsippel

Banned
JoeFenix said:

They have Zelda and... well, that's pretty much it. Really, the 2011 Wii lineup is absolutely embarrassing, probably the worst lineup I've ever seen.

JoeFenix said:

It's the sign of them getting ready to launch their next console.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, I cannot believe that we're not getting Xenoblade or The Last Story. Ridiculous. Of course, no gaming "journalist" will ever press anyone at Nintendo about this beyond a perfunctory question without even a follow-up.

.la1n

Hela said:
This is just sad.

Agreed. I for one DO NOT welcome the old (new) Nintendo overlords. I'm sure anyone growing up during their first run of success understands.

Big One

Banned
.la1n said:
Agreed. I for one DO NOT welcome the old (new) Nintendo overlords. I'm sure anyone growing up during their first run of success understands.
You mean how they never localized a shitload of games back in the day too? :p

RPGCrazied

This is killing me as a jRPG gamer. ToG F, Xenoblade, looking like this. So, all I have to look forward to is Versus and XIII-2?

Top Bottom