• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Japan) |OT| The Gooch's Final (?) Fantasy

canova said:
no. 2 according to Dengeki

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/336/336248/

1. Ore no Imouto PSP (PSP)

2. The Last Story (Wii)

3. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)

4. To Aru Majutsu no Index (PSP)

5. Amagami (PSP)

6. Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy(PSP)

7. Gyakuten Kenji 2 (DS)

8. Catherine (PS3/360)

9. Rune Factory Origins (PS3/Wii)

10. Fantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP)

Seeing as how Dengenki is the license holder for Ore no Imouto, I'm not surprised it's at #1. With that said, I have that pre-ordered as well.

thefro

New tweets from Sakaguchi:
http://twitter.com/mistwalker

Replacing team members can be done in revisiting dungeon but cannot be done in the main scenario. (H. Sakaguchi)

No distance limitation for "return", almost like warp. It's useful to gather your team members. (H. Sakaguchi)

Battle stops by pressing (-) button and going to menu and also by pressing HOME button and going back to Wii menu. (H. Sakaguchi)

During "chain", hitting can be controlled by auto mode. Just don't tilt the stick toward the enemy. (H. Sakaguchi)

Some weapons are easy to obtain during online mode and some are hard. Strengthen items for weapons obtained on online are obtained only on online mode. (H. Sakaguchi)

It is easy to find the way to go during main story because of hint NPC. Quests need to be found but not too difficult to find. (HS)

Menu image is changing depending story development. Star Gazing Tower is my favorite. (H. Sakaguchi)

Because enemies carry HATE value (how much attention giving to each character) inside, they could attack anybody including Elza. (HS)

No customize in command mode. There are other skills, too. I wanted to value rhythm (tempo) of game playing. 4 seems less but you feel just right when you actually play. (H. Sakaguchi)

Command mode: We thought Yuris' magic is better if it's simply magic diffusion (second effect) than making it it to "guard break (enemy defense down)". It looks simple but we aimed for profound implication. (H. Sakaguchi)

thefro

We finally got a color version, in hi-res no-less of the party artwork we saw on the blog a several months back. Click on the pic for a 1600x900 version suitable for wallpaper.

I made a couple updates to the OP, more coming over the weekend.

A couple things I noticed in the demonstrations on a 2nd viewing (thanks to ulicquel on another board for pointing it out to me).

Firstly the "SURROUND" status... if the enemy surrounds one of your characters, "SURROUNDED" will appear in red and the enemy attacks will do more damage. Your party can do the same team if they surround an enemy, except "SURROUNDED" appears in blue.

There is a parry--> counter attack if you press block at the right time during an enemy attack. This seems to do more damage than a normal attack.

Your attacks do more damage if you attack an enemy from behind. You can notice Sakaguchi hiding behind a wall, waiting for the enemy to turn around and then springing out and attacking with a slash move for one example. I assume this is the case for the enemies attacking the player characters as well.

The other thing is that it appears that stealth is a big factor in a couple of the battles we've seen. There have been a couple examples shown where you have the option of either taking out an enemy quickly using stealth or charging ahead and triggering a much larger battle when the enemy calls for help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgQ0ip-cojA&t=36m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgQ0ip-cojA&t=39m5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghw8ncdHuZM&t=2m52s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghw8ncdHuZM&t=3m55s

Also the Gooch has some jitters on twitter:
http://twitter.com/mistwalker

Sakaguchi said:
Came back from dinner. Less than a week before release. I've been having a jittery feeling. Will I be done after this? Negative idea come across. Oops, I should be neutral like when I wait for wave when surfing. All is a part of natural rhythm. I need to have a mind to accept everything, drifting through positive thinking. (H. Sakaguchi)

Sakaguchi said:
Sorry, I might have too much drink tonight. Many thoughts come across. Am so happy to hear from you directly (on real time) by twitter. It remind me #thelaststory production. After all, "people's energy". Passion is important. (H. Sakaguchi)

Takuhi

mehdi_san said:
I'm glad to hear it worked for you! I guess you have someone in Japan who will get the delivery for you, since amazon doesn't ship to the US?

I just use tenso.com (a reshipper). It kinda sucks, because I'll get it a couple of days later, but... Still pretty much the only way to get preorder items reliably.

sam27368

Banned
The twitter is quite funny, Sakaguchi obviously got pissed last night and which brought out some feelings ..

drunk Sakaguchi on twitter said:
Came back from dinner. Less than a week before release. I've been having a jittery feeling. Will I be done after this? Negative idea come across. Oops, I should be neutral like when I wait for wave when surfing. All is a part of natural rhythm. I need to have a mind to accept everything, drifting through positive thinking. (H. Sakaguchi) Sorry, I might have too much drink tonight. Many thoughts come across. Am so happy to hear from you directly (on real time) by twitter. It remind me #thelaststory production. After all, "people's energy". Passion is important. (H. Sakaguchi)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
He's pushing this game hard, woa. You don't often see Japanese developers get so personal about their work, they tend to be far more modest. How many followers does he have on twitter anyway?

thefro

John Harker said:
He's pushing this game hard, woa. You don't often see Japanese developers get so personal about their work, they tend to be far more modest. How many followers does he have on twitter anyway?

He's not a typical Japanese developer. Got about 12,500 followers on twitter but a lot of them are from outside Japan.

desu said:
PlayAsia is already preparing my order (as usual at this time). Hope they send it out monday/tuesday.

Same here... they charged my credit card this morning.

StuBurns said:
If Nintendo doesn't bring this over, someone will, it looks awesome.
Nintendo doesn't work that way. Look at any number of the other games they haven't brought over that I'm sure other pubs would love, but have been declined. Disaster, Fatal Frame, Trace Memory, MOTHER 3... etc

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Big One said:
Well if it does well enough in Japan it should be localized, I would think. It seems to have solid press so far, and I hear it's the most anticipated title in Japan.

Worked out well for Mother 3. ;_;

I hope that if it never comes over, there will at least be a rough translation. Still waiting on my Captain Rainbow translation..

Smiles and Cries said:
okay I've got to learn moon language to import this and hack my Wii

The latter should take about 15 minutes.

I managed to finish Xenoblade a couple weeks ago so I'm ready for Last Story whenever I get my hands on it!

anaron

Iwata interviews Sakaguchi and Takahashi.

mainvisual1.jpg

It's also in Japanese and I have no idea what it's about. :p

farnham

Banned
ImNotLikeThem said:
Nintendo doesn't work that way. Look at any number of the other games they haven't brought over that I'm sure other pubs would love, but have been declined. Disaster, Fatal Frame, Trace Memory, MOTHER 3... etc
cubivore

mehdi_san

farnham said:
soundtrack and artbook should be free for preorderers as far as i know
Let me ask you this first: where did you see it at 5500? On amazon, it has always been on preorder around that price.

mehdi_san

farnham said:
in a gameshop in akihabara
Have you checked if they still have some of the preorder bonuses available? Most stores already sold out a while ago, and the few stores that still have them are selling them for more than 8000 yen (see amazon or yahoo auctions).

farnham

Banned
mehdi_san said:
Have you checked if they still have some of the preorder bonuses available? Most stores already sold out a while ago, and the few stores that still have them are selling them for more than 8000 yen (see amazon or yahoo auctions).
i believe they did not have the preorder bonus

im not sure though

MYE

Unknown Soldier said:
This is almost as retarded awesome as those guys who wait in line to buy an iPhone at launch so they can destroy it in front of the other people in line.

Darwin is watching these individuals with great interest.

Diffense

Game package looks nice.

For me, this game is channeling so many different series.
There is, of course, that FF ambiance due to Sakaguchi's and Uematsu's influence.
But in some videos I get a Zelda vibe because of the setting, enemies and fast action combat.
Then the weapon/armor skill and upgrade/customization system reminds me of Monster Hunter.

I'll have to force myself not to spoil too much of it when Japanese play videos start popping up.
[I've been doing that for Xenoablde for several months NINTENDO!]

Diffense said:
lol
Sales +1 eh?

I had to think for a while about how this hurts anything but his pocket.
I guess the angle is that he just destroyed a limited edition.

The guys who do that kind of thing do it for the attention. Money isn't even remotely within the decision-making process for that kind of thing.

Why do lower budget RPG's never get character control right? Compare the character control of FFXII to Lost Odyssey...why are they so different? From the video this game looks to have poor character control, surely it doesn't cost any more to do it properly than it odes to do it badly?

Top Bottom