• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 6

I thought these idols might have been guys at first, kind of hope these fangirls appear later in the series too and of all the generic names for someone from Dubai they went with Jeet Singh!

Really digging this series.

Narag

Nobunaga no Shinobi 23
anfEntwl.png

Always hyped for historical ninja action.

Ai Mai Mi: Surgical Friends 10

It's strangely fulfilling that this is the second best comedy of the season when it usually demolishes the competition.

Suite Precure 13-15

Siren got branwashed :(. I want her to change sides now at this point. Kanade continues to be thirsty as fuck for Ouji, with Hibiki being unamused.

One thing I've noticed is that Suite can show off characters, but it may take them another several episodes before even revealing their name. It's bizarre.

Clov

Pretty sure you should do that investment if you want a Tatami blu-ray. Funimation pretty much confirmed they won't release that anytime soon; if they ever.

Funimation doesn't have to put it out, since streaming rights and home video rights can be separate (especially when Funimation originally started streaming the show). Were NISA still around releasing anime, I'd have bet on them; they released the DVD of House of Five Leaves, another title that Funimation streamed but didn't want to put out. Right now, if anyone will pick it up, I'd be betting on either RightStuf or Discotek (who's started to release more modern anime lately). Part of me just simply can't give up hope that it will be released one day here.

Beyblade #42 Drawn to the Darkness
C7VCC1sX0AAPsy6.jpg:small

I wanted Kai backstory but not like this...Tyson or Ray better do something before he goes too far into the dark side. Worst he has ditched teamwork and decided to do things alone, bad news.

Seven deadly sins Signs of the Holy War
39f78be7f8f595f6c3560a87a15fa2c2.jpg

This is basically one big fun bridge between season 1 and 2(3).

We mainly get to see some SoL moments between the seven sins and a few holy knights like Gil and Howzer. All of these moment were pretty good though. My favorite being episode 3 which focused on King and Diane. It was both super sweet and funny. Also King and Howser fighting for Diane is the funniest thing ever! There is also one *big* fight, but animation wise it's not really that impressive.

So it's basically
+More fun time with the sins
+different character focus for each episode
+cool hints for the next season
+Amazing OP
If you liked Seven deadly sins and only watch the anime then you should definitely check out these 4 special epsiodes since that last episode directly leads up to what I suppose will be the start of the new season.

But the best thing of the whole special was that one single shot of King Arthur
6307471bbad77a38a102c4f720dec09d.jpg

Okay guys, I need your help. I've decided to leave a slot or two open in my anime viewing list this coming season/in-between seasons to catch up on some of the "greats" that I missed. But I'm not sure where to start first.

My "want to watch" list is here. Any recommendations on what I should watch first? Or even what I should add to the list?

Cornbread78

Okay guys, I need your help. I've decided to leave a slot or two open in my anime viewing list this coming season/in-between seasons to catch up on some of the "greats" that I missed. But I'm not sure where to start first.

My "want to watch" list is here. Any recommendations on what I should watch first? Or even what I should add to the list?

In order:
Clannad/Clannad After Story
Konosuba season 1&2
Steins;Gate + OVA
Anohana
Spice and Wolf Season 1&2
Your Lie in April
Gankutsuou

If you haven't yet:
Eureka 7
Full Metal Alchemist
Kanon (2006)

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 11

I actually liked this episode. Ursula is tutoring Akko, even if she isn't the best at it. Not sure how I feel about Akko being a pseudo-chosen one to save magic, but whatever. Still good development on her and Ursula's part.

Seven deadly sins Signs of the Holy War
39f78be7f8f595f6c3560a87a15fa2c2.jpg

This is basically one big fun bridge between season 1 and 2(3).

We mainly get to see some SoL moments between the seven sins and a few holy knights like Gil and Howzer. All of these moment were pretty good though. My favorite being episode 3 which focused on King and Diane. It was both super sweet and funny. Also King and Howser fighting for Diane is the funniest thing ever! There is also one *big* fight, but animation wise it's not really that impressive.

So it's basically
+More fun time with the sins
+different character focus for each episode
+cool hints for the next season
+Amazing OP

If you liked Seven deadly sins and only watch the anime then you should definitely check out these 4 special epsiodes since that last episode directly leads up to what I suppose will be the start of the new season.

But the best thing of the whole special was that one single shot of King Arthur
6307471bbad77a38a102c4f720dec09d.jpg
Thanks for reminding me about this. Between the magicians, legion, dropping the shitty iron fist show and starting empire I forgot this was on Netflix

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

I remember when I was first getting back into the anime scene 5 or so years ago, this was the series I heard the most raving about around the time. I guess because this was Gainax's last big work before they became a shell of their former self after the mass Talent Exodus. Most I really knew about it prior to watching was having watched the big school fight scene from episode 6, which was a really impressive piece of animation.

I honestly just found it ok. Shock humor is really hard to pull off successfully because when you do it in excess it ends up desensitizing the viewer and I felt like that was what happened to me as I watched it. This ended up being a series I appreciated more for it's animation than the actual humor, characters, or story.

I know people are holding out that the season 2 will end up being made but I don't really see what else they can add. The "cliffhanger" at the end felt more like Gainax taking the piss out of themselves for their "infamous" endings rather than an actual legitimate sequel hook.

Suite Precure 16-17

Won't say it's a two parter, but they flow into each other.

16 was more of a Switch places episode, Hibiki with Kanade's family and vice versa. The trade of course, highlights how lonely Hibiki is despite not showing it on her face. The other thing to learn is that I don't know how Hibiki's family even lived. None of them can actually cook.

A lot of people were very excitable that Hibiki's mom was in town, even Ouji, whose voice made it seem like his balls undropped because his idol was in the school, and thus also made all the fangirls squeal. It was a change of pace in particular for Hibiki given her family circumstances. While normally, she attempts to have a sense of maturity, she became more child like, and was allowed to even drop her guard to tell her mother how she really feels, a moment, which gave birth to Hibiki's dream, as well as her mother.

Hibiki's circumstances do make it easier to give her attention for episodes, considering Kanade's situations aren't really "problems", that's not to say she doesn't put in the footwork either, because she does.

Quasar

Fuuka - how weird the way the anime people have taken this. I'm not really used to seeing adaptations with plots so different.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It kinda end well as the two MC you follow (Tsukiko and Youto) want to be together when they both found out what have happen at the end and why Youto start to forgot his memory of his past a bit. Not saying it's the best end but it does do the job it have to do for the show.
Ah yeah. Well, that's fine. I assume at that point the manga was still going anyway.

KraytarJ

Rakugo 10 & 11
We all knew it was going to happen before the season finally aired, but for that moment and the lingering remnants of the past to be handled so gracefully and beautifully it's truly a hallmark of something great.

Konosuba - 3

C7VkPeBXUAIndbi.jpg:large

good idea.

Gonna just drop a quote from an old Zero Punctuation review that I modified a tad to sum up my feelings on this episode.

"A joke ideally delivered is akin to being slapped in the face with a fish by a man who runs in and out of the room giggling, and the comedy in this is more frequently akin to a fish gathering flies on the kitchen floor, while the same man stands nearby morosely pointing at it with an outstretched arm, and the fish is wearing a viking helmet because FANTASY, AMIRIGHT?" ~ Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

Moaradin

Konosuba - 3

Gonna just drop a quote from an old Zero Punctuation review that I modified a tad to sum up my feelings on this episode.

"A joke ideally delivered is akin to being slapped in the face with a fish by a man who runs in and out of the room giggling, and the comedy in this is more frequently akin to a fish gathering flies on the kitchen floor, while the same man stands nearby morosely pointing at it with an outstretched arm, and the fish is wearing a viking helmet because FANTASY, AMIRIGHT?" ~ Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

Yeah, I don't see you enjoying the show if the comedy is doing nothing for you. Season 2 will only get worse in that regard.

Yeah, I don't see you enjoying the show if the comedy is doing nothing for you. Season 2 will only get worse in that regard.

I mean, I still WANT to get to Season 2 to see what all the hubbub is about there to make even Jarmel and Narag voice praise for it.

I saw the OP for season 2 and the show looked fun enough, so I'm just waiting for it to get to that point.

KraytarJ

I mean, I still WANT to get to Season 2 to see what all the hubbub is about there to make even Jarmel and Narag voice praise for it.

I saw the OP for season 2 and the show looked fun enough, so I'm just waiting for it to get to that point.
If it makes you feel any better I dropped Konosuba after episode 3 or 4 my first time, came back for another round and still hated those episodes then came around on S1 by the end enough to say I liked it and S2 is by far my AOTS and was a huge improvement over S1 for me.

zulux21

I mean, I'm not expecting the show to do a 180 and turn into early Spongebob. I'm just hoping that the comedy improves and I find more hits than misses as the show goes on.

it helps when darkness plays a larger role and aqua plays a smaller role as Aqua is just not a good comedy character for me, I just find her annoying.

perhaps you will be the same.

that being said even aqua was alright in the final arc of season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom