• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I don't think the comedy improves that much. If anything, Season 2 relies on one-note character gags even more than the first season. I like the show a lot and the comedy works for me, but even I was starting to get tired of the same Darkness jokes over and over again during that stretch in season 2.

Narag

I mean, I still WANT to get to Season 2 to see what all the hubbub is about there to make even Jarmel and Narag voice praise for it.

I saw the OP for season 2 and the show looked fun enough, so I'm just waiting for it to get to that point.

I suggest powering through it and giving the first episode of S2 a shot to see if finally works for you or not. Stopping to ask "Are we there yet?" over and over is just going to prolong things if you want to see this through.

Hibike Euphonium S2 Specials 02-04

ZFpE7Mw.jpg
MNSuaPA.jpg
4wkHMZC.jpg

2 and 3 were just bad boob jokes. 4 was like 1 where Natsuki and Yuuko try and desperately convince themselves they aren't madly in love, so good

I think the "change" in the second season of Konosuba comes as how it capitalizes on your knowledge about these characters and their traits. The animation and general direction is also improved, but if you aren't enjoying season 1 you may as well just not go to season 2. Going by your impressions it almost feels like you are just hate watching it, and that is just not the way to experience Konosuba. The show is meant to be fun and elicit a few laughs from you

Cornbread78

I Going by your impressions it almost feels like you are just hate watching it, and that is just not the way to experience Konosuba. The show is meant to be fun and elicit a few laughs from you

Now now, Everyone has a different sense of humor and may react differently to the show. I'm sure he's just being a little tsundere about his real feelings about it, lol.

Andrew J.

Kirakira Precure 07

It's pretty rare for details about the inciting incident to be held back for so long. It seems that not even the fairies know what's going on with the villains!

I mean, if you never wanted to watch a show to begin with and were resistant to watching it, I'm not certain why you'd suddenly expect to like it just because a lot of other people did.

Sölf

Konosuba is great, but I agree, if you don't like it after the first 3 episodes, I really doubt you will like it after 10-20 episodes. Honestly, you could spent your time better watching other shows you actually enjoy.

I mean, if you never wanted to watch a show to begin with and were resistant to watching it, I'm not certain why you'd suddenly expect to like it just because a lot of other people did.

Sölf;232416491 said:
Konosuba is great, but I agree, if you don't like it after the first 3 episodes, I really doubt you will like it after 10-20 episodes. Honestly, you could spent your time better watching other shows you actually enjoy.

Yeah I agree with both of these. I love Konosuba, but I liked it early on. I can understand it growing on you as time goes on if you're a bit lukewarm, but if you're actively disliking it, and don't find it at all funny, I really cannot see the show majorly improving in the eyes of someone struggling to enjoy it early on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Konosuba is a bad show.

For starters it begins with a K. No one can name a good show that begins with K, excluding examples like Kill Me Baby and Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku. Think about it. Think about Kill la Kill. Exactly.

Next you have ono, which makes you think of Yoshinori Ono, which makes you think of Street Fighter V. I have no idea what is going on with that game, but GAF has said some bad things about it so you know it must be bad.

Finally, it ends in suba, which rhymes with tuba and we all know tubas are rubbish instruments. It's all about the euphoniums.

In conclusion, it's 100% bad. And not MJ bad.

For starters it begins with a K. No one can name a good show that begins with K, excluding examples like Kill Me Baby and Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku. Think about it. Think about Kill la Kill. Exactly.

The best anime of all time starts with a K ;P

Comedy is subjective, y'all. Like I still don't see what's so funny about K-ON, but apparently that show's hilarious.

Reaction faces!

Konosuba is a bad show.

Next you have ono, which makes you think of Yoshinori Ono, which makes you think of Street Fighter V. I have no idea what is going on with that game, but GAF has said some bad things about it so you know it must be bad.

Finally, it ends in suba, which rhymes with tuba and we all know tubas are rubbish instruments. It's all about the euphoniums.

Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.

hampig

Been watching Cross Game

22103.jpg

Only through the first 3 episodes because I have to watch it at home, but I love it so far and I cannot wait to see more.

The characters are fairly typical, but I think the setup is pretty unique, and even with the overall typical characters, they're done in a way that makes them still effective and likable. The show has an 80's kind of charm to it, and has managed to make me laugh a few times already. I'm excited to see where it goes and how the characters develop, I can already tell this will be a favorite unless they really screw it up.

Also, EP1 spoiler,
I did not expect that slap to the face at the end. Shit got dark fast.

Cornbread78

Been watching Cross Game

22103.jpg

Only through the first 3 episodes because I have to watch it at home, but I love it so far and I cannot wait to see more.

The characters are fairly typical, but I think the setup is pretty unique, and even with the overall typical characters, they're done in a way that makes them still effective and likable. The show has an 80's kind of charm to it, and has managed to make me laugh a few times already. I'm excited to see where it goes and how the characters develop, I can already tell this will be a favorite unless they really screw it up.

Also, EP1 spoiler,

Excellent show from a sports perspective, as well as, from a coming of age/personal growth perspective. The characters are excellent and they do a great job telling the story from start to finish.

Also, yeah, Ep.1 hits like a motherfu(ker.... I hadn't even learned about or gotten attached to the characters yet and that brought some red eyes....

Thud

Dragon Ball Super 82

Man, I still can't get over the fact this series just can't do proper battles. Like stop with the shockwaves to cheap out of the animation and stringing frames together that look gross. It's a kid's power fantasy held back by time, money and therefore effort. This tournament is gonna be full with this kinda stuff huh.

It's kinda depressing I rather watch 20 minutes of the stage coming together than another fight. Anime was a mistake. Delete this Toei.

Edit: I'm not saying it's a bad show to watch, but it never gets to the point where I can forget it's a mediocre show while watching. Somehow Tiger Mask is leagues ahead of this mess. I guess there's a difference between expectations in their established franchises.

blurr

Konosuba is a bad show.

lmao

hampig

Excellent show from a sports perspective, as well as, from a coming of age/personal growth perspective. The characters are excellent and they do a great job telling the story from start to finish.

Also, yeah, Ep.1 hits like a motherfu(ker.... I hadn't even learned about or gotten attached to the characters yet and that brought some red eyes....

That's good to hear! It's gotten off to such a great start, even if it just keeps up its current momentum I'll be happy.

Cornbread78

That's good to hear! It's gotten off to such a great start, even if it just keeps up its current momentum I'll be happy.

One of the later plot lines felt like a little useless drama, but it wasn't bad enough to destroy a really heartwarming story and some really exciting sports drama/action. It was amazing how they could mirror the sports side with the SoL/drama side and make it work so well.

One of only a few shows that have gotten a 10/10 on my list.

Thud

Other shows I watched last few days:

Tiger Mask W 21-23

I love the fights and bringing back characters on regular basis. Good thing is they still introduce new characters such as The Third to showcase the new bad ass in town.

Also Fukuwara Mask continues to be the best. GWM continues to shit on him, but we know better!

March goes like a sealion

Good way to finish this season. Also sounds like it's doing well (?) considering a new season is coming in october

It will go places this year, I'm sure.

All Out 21-23

Gion got pissed, oh boy. Seeing this makes me wonder if a new Eyeshield anime would work in capturing Murata's artwork.

Aki-at

I really didn't like season 1 of Konosuba but loved season 2, maybe I was more familiar with the characters, maybe because it had more Darkness and less reliance on Aqua or maybe there was less use of EXPLOSIOOOOON as a joke but season 1 was mostly passable. I still don't know how it ended up in GAF's top ten but Tanaka-kun is always listless didn't!

But I think season 2 just ups what it did in season 1, there's more energy. It's hard to put it down but there was a jump from "eh, okay that was funny here and there" to "I can't stop laughing, HELP!"

Maybe he should just watch the finale of season 2 since someone mentioned it was like Gurren Lagann!

Paltheos

Been watching Cross Game

22103.jpg

Also, EP1 spoiler,

Don't know how you found this one, but good choice. The characters range on these extremes where the obvious side characters tend to be clownish while most of the main cast are deadpan, and the show flies mostly on expressions, camera work, sound and music cues, and of course flashbacks, because nobody almost ever talks about anything directly (except Wakaba). It's really refreshing, and the author Mitsuru Adachi has been working on this particular style for decades.

Cross Game's not without its flaws, but it's a more balanced experience imo than his most famous work, Touch. Cross Game also has a bunch of anime-original content which is melded in pretty well with the rest of the material (I didn't know until reading about it after the fact). On the whole it's a pretty plain-looking show, but the production staff know what they're doing - The animation won't wow you but the quality of the art is consistent throughout which is something I value in a show like this.

It's a good show - Enjoy it. It's earned that top 100 spot on MAL. (I'd put it in top 50 but I haven't thought too hard on where)

I suggest powering through it and giving the first episode of S2 a shot to see if finally works for you or not. Stopping to ask "Are we there yet?" over and over is just going to prolong things if you want to see this through.

This is what I'm planning on doing.

I think the "change" in the second season of Konosuba comes as how it capitalizes on your knowledge about these characters and their traits. The animation and general direction is also improved, but if you aren't enjoying season 1 you may as well just not go to season 2. Going by your impressions it almost feels like you are just hate watching it, and that is just not the way to experience Konosuba. The show is meant to be fun and elicit a few laughs from you

Now now, Everyone has a different sense of humor and may react differently to the show. I'm sure he's just being a little tsundere about his real feelings about it, lol.

Nintendoman is being tsuntsun

Guys, I'm not hate-watching it. I just don't find any of it funny so far. Like, I'm not laughing at the show's jokes. That's it.

If I had to give the show some semblance of praise so far, I'm at least not physically repulsed by it like I am at 95% of other LN harem anime.

It's also at least not trying to add some kind of deep narrative with intrusive romantic subplots.

That and it helps that I'm not exactly disliking any of the characters so far (except Darkness, screw her).

I'm just not feeling the comedy-aspect of the show right now. And for a show that markets itself as a comedy that doesn't make me laugh I'm finding that to be a pretty big problem so far that I should point out!

But I'm a patient guy. I understand that the first season of the show is largely hit-or-miss that leans more on the miss side.

Like Narag said, I'm gonna power through season 1, get to season 2 ASAP, and see if something works for me there.

Until that point, y'all can stop trying to spin my criticisms of its comedy as me being "tsun-tsun" or whatever when I'm trying to analyze the way the show tells its jokes.

Theonik

Konosuba is a bad show.

6iXf5Dz.gif

It's OK Hazuki forgives you.

Cornbread78

This is what I'm planning on doing.
Guys, I'm not hate-watching it. I just don't find any of it funny so far. Like, I'm not laughing at the show's jokes. That's it.
If I had to give the show some semblance of praise so far, I'm at least not physically repulsed by it like I am at 95% of other LN harem anime.
It's also at least not trying to add some kind of deep narrative with intrusive romantic subplots.
That and it helps that I'm not exactly disliking any of the characters so far (except Darkness, screw her).
I'm just not feeling the comedy-aspect of the show right now. And for a show that markets itself as a comedy that doesn't make me laugh I'm finding that to be a pretty big problem so far that I should point out!
But I'm a patient guy. I understand that the first season of the show is largely hit-or-miss that leans more on the miss side.
Like Narag said, I'm gonna power through season 1, get to season 2 ASAP, and see if something works for me there.
Until that point, y'all can stop trying to spin my criticisms of its comedy as me being "tsun-tsun" or whatever when I'm trying to analyze the way the show tells its jokes.

JvYl6Bm.gif

It's all good, lol.

Can't wait to see how you feel about episode 9. BTW, there is no "harem" here, the party is too busy being a$$holes to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom