• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVIII looks like its about to be released on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

OT, but looks like Square has plans to bring FFXIV to Steam eventually

262341.jpg

Source: http://steamdb.info/app/262340/#section_subs

Luthos

Most of my enjoyment from FFVIII is derived from abusing carding, lvl-up/down skills, and such with the magic/junction system to break the game.

Agreed. I know it's broken, but I kinda enjoyed breaking the game. The only problem is it's kinda hard to re-play that game without breaking it.

Ferrio

Banned
I abhor Final Fantasy VIII. The Junction/Draw/GF/Leveling systems are completely fucking broken.

That's what I loved best about it. Tinkering with your magic and putting it to stats to see how OP you could get was awesome.

Funnily enough, the usual negative opinions I hear about this game is it was too hard.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wish they would release Triple Triad for iOS.

TT doesn't really work in isolation, the way rules are spread and the way high-value cards are introduced to the pool requires some sort of larger meta-game.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that its not as simple as just creating a stand-alone card game.

PS. Th battle-system in FFVIII isn't in way broken, its just highly exploitable BY DESIGN. Frankly the things people usually talk about as exploits all pale into insignificance next to how ludicrously overpowered the blue magic Degenerator is. Guaranteed 1 shot kill on everything in the game apart from Tonberries and bosses, and you can get it real early.

Luthos

TT doesn't really work in isolation, the way rules are spread and the way high-value cards are introduced to the pool requires some sort of larger meta-game.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that its not as simple as just creating a stand-alone card game.

I dunno, I remember playing it at some website (tripletriadonline.com or something?) and I had a ton of fun. They released decks of all other FF's and some other SE games.

Radec

I think it could work, make it online, then several players are like the Queen introducing new rules per region.

Game would be huge.

But it won't happen because Square Enix.

antitrop

That's what I loved best about it. Tinkering with your magic and putting it to stats to see how OP you could get was awesome.

Funnily enough, the usual negative opinions I hear about this game is it was too hard.

I don't think it's hard at all, just tedious. Tedious is just about the worst negative association you can possibly levy at a game.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't think it's hard at all, just tedious. Tedious is just about the worst negative association you can possibly levy at a game.

Well from the vast amounts of FF8 threads in this board's past, one of the biggest complaints is people think it was too hard because they don't even understand how junctioning works.

Amneisac

Well from the vast amounts of FF8 threads in this board's past, one of the biggest complaints is people think it was too hard because they don't even understand how junctioning works.

There was a lot I didn't get about FFVIII. Like, you can summon all you want, so are you just supposed to keep summoning? It seems like it doesn't really have any reason not to other than having to endure 30 second cut scenes every time.

I don't know, I've never been in the FFVIII camp.

antitrop

GameFAQs was around even back when the game launched in '99, don't understand that complaint. I think it's all pretty easy to grasp, just not really any fun to play.

Ferrio

Banned
There was a lot I didn't get about FFVIII. Like, you can summon all you want, so are you just supposed to keep summoning? It seems like it doesn't really have any reason not to other than having to endure 30 second cut scenes every time.

And there was the other complaint. People not understanding the junction system and would just rely on summoning.

And no, you're not suppose to use summons unless you want to torture yourself. Pretty much you're suppose to use summons as fancy equipment, really all there is to it.

Muffdraul

GameFAQs was around even back when the game launched in '99, don't understand that complaint.

It generally boiled down to people skipping the tutorials. "Yeah yeah blah blah blah, I know how to play FF thanks."

You can trudge your way through most of the game by using GFs against bosses, and then people would hit a brick wall when they got to Adel, or the final dungeon, they'd come crying to the message boards, and that's when they'd finally find out how junctioning worked.

Sheroking

GameFAQs was around even back when the game launched in '99, don't understand that complaint. I think it's all pretty easy to grasp, just not really any fun to play.

Whoever goes to GameFaqs or uses a guide to play an RPG must not like to have fun.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And there was the other complaint. People not understanding the junction system and would just rely on summoning.

And no, you're not suppose to use summons unless you want to torture yourself. Pretty much you're suppose to use summons as fancy equipment, really all there is to it.

Yup.

Summoning is basically just for fun, the best part of the entire battle-system design however is that that matters little because of the way just junctioning a GF has a very real effect on combat performance and abilities. Brilliant approach imho.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Most of the complaints tend to be easily mended, like drawing or long battles.

The only thing that sucked was being forced to draw spells and having no way to fast track that process. The junctioning being broken was just straight up fun in my opinion.

Drawing spells is a huge mistake. The best way to get spells is refining.

Funny story about FF8. I was in high school when it came out. I bought it and did something and got in trouble. My mom told me to give her the game as punishment. Little did she know that the game is multiple discs. I played disc 1 for like 30 hours.

Muffdraul

Funny story about FF8. I was in high school when it came out. I bought it and did something and got in trouble. My mom told me to give her the game as punishment. Little did she know that the game is multiple discs. I played disc 1 for like 30 hours.

It's only about 10 hours long, so that's still a pretty good punishment. I would have been dying to get to disc 2. Shoulda just given her disc 4!

Ferrio

Banned
Most of the complaints tend to be easily mended, like drawing or long battles.

Drawing spells is a huge mistake. The best way to get spells is refining.

Drawing spells isn't even that time consuming as long as you realize a higher magic stat allows you to draw more.

It's only about 10 hours long, so that's still a pretty good punishment. I would have been dying to get to disc 2. Shoulda just given her disc 4!

Well it was already in the drive and she was watching me...lol. I seem to remember playing a lot of Triple Triad.

BasilZero

VII and VIII are the only other ones with PC ports, so we may not see any others released.

We don't even have XIV available on Steam.

;( y u make me a sad panda

XIV may still come out, dont they have XI already? lol

Anyways man, if they do ever release any FF games on Steam (other than VII and VIII) - I hope they release IX.

Grief.exe

FFVIII registry app had achievements at one point, but I forgot to actually physically copy/paste them onto GAF.

They were lost after Square purged the FFVIII entry after we leaked FFVII.

Anyways man, if they do ever release any FF games on Steam (other than VII and VIII) - I hope they release IX.

XI is already on Steam, I hope they release IX as well, seems like it would be my favorite PS1 FF game.

Clott

The OST for VII was supposedly butchered in the PC release, is it the same for VIII?

I recall it had something to do with the audio chip in the PS1 being hard to replicate by software.

Grief.exe

The OST for VII was supposedly butchered in the PC release, is it the same for VIII?

I recall it had something to do with the audio chip in the PS1 being hard to replicate by software.

They actually patched in the better music into the Steam version after release.

ocean

Banned
I just moved abroad for grad school and had to leave my consoles behind. Never been much of a PC gamer so quick question: will a regular DualShock 3/4 work on Steam games like Final Fantasy?

Knurek

FF8 PC still uses MIDI, if that what you're asking.
Instead of using Yamaha XG soft synthesizer, like FF7 PC did, it uses DirectMusic, which at least allowed for custom sound fonts, so it doesn't sound half bad.
Still, it wasn't 100% like the PS1 game.

At this point, unlikely (even though IX's the best game in the series and all). The PC release of VII was essentially just a dusted-off and slightly polished up version of the original PC port of the game. FFVIII will likely be the same thing. Those are the only two games in the series (outside of XI and XIV, of course) to ever get PC ports. If other games get a PC release, they'd have to be ported in order to do so - possible, but a much bigger undertaking.

The thing with the Junction system, I think, is that it's just it's own special kind of broken. Technically, you can break most FF games difficulty-wise. That usually just involves grinding levels (not always necessarily for the levels themselves, but also just to advance materia/jobs/equipment/whatever). In FF8, it's just draw-grinding and stuff instead.

As others have mentioned, grinding levels in FF8 is actually a bad thing, because enemies advance at the same rate as you and will just become tougher. The only way to get an edge level-wise is to keep your level as low as possible until you get Jumbo Cactuar in Disc 3 (and also learn the level-up bonus - i.e STR Bonus, HP Bonus - that each of the other GFs get one of). Junctioning those abilities, I believe, give you gains in those stats that outpace the enemy scaling.

Exodist

PC version of FF7 is fine on Steam. You make an account and log in once then its basically fixed, and they patched the original music in. So I'm excited for this. I'm hoping the steam version of FF7 did better than Square's download version so they're more likely to release this on Steam at launch, rather than making it Square exclusive for a year or so.

Knurek

I'm hoping the steam version of FF7 did better than Square's download version so they're more likely to release this on Steam at launch, rather than making it Square exclusive for a year or so.

It usually takes around one sale with decent price cut to convince the developers a Steam release is worth their while.
FF7 was a daily on the recent Steam sale, now we're having all this FF8 movement... Yeah, it sold tonnes.

Grief.exe

It usually takes around one sale with decent price cut to convince the developers a Steam release is worth their while.
FF7 was a daily on the recent Steam sale, now we're having all this FF8 movement... Yeah, it sold tonnes.

If I remember correctly, FFVII was the top seller for a while when it was released.

antitrop

Please bring an English translated FFXII International Zodiac Job Edition to Steam plz thanks SE :3
This might go a little ways towards making up for Final Fantasy XIII. I really liked XII.

Yeah.... yes?

Those games are meant to be discovered and unlocked. It's like reading a shooting script before seeing a movie.

Maybe Demon's Souls, yeah, but not every RPG ever. FAQs are useful for many things, they don't automatically ruin the experience.

If I remember correctly, FFVII was the top seller for a while when it was released.

I don't remember if it was #1 or not, but FFVII was definitely in the top sellers for awhile after its Steam release. And then again the first time it was on sale a couple weeks/months ago.

Rootbeer

Banned
Already own FFXIV on PC, not sure if rebuying the steam version would be a benefit in any way. Now if they add steam achievements or other steamworks features I may think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom