• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVIII looks like its about to be released on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Even though I'm biased against FF8 from seeing Spoony's series on it, I'll still buy the heck out of it when it hits steam, if only for the remote chance that it would maybe convince Square that releasing FF9 on steam would be a lucrative business move.

NBtoaster

Will probably just be an excuse to get more people to sign up for SE accounts and have horrible additions like always online DRM and microtransactions.

denx

Even though I'm biased against FF8 from seeing Spoony's series on it, I'll still buy the heck out of it when it hits steam, if only for the remote chance that it would maybe convince Square that releasing FF9 on steam would be a lucrative business move.

How about Squeenix releasing every FF game (at least the main numbered ones) on Steam? (yes, even XIII) That would be some mayor business there.
I don't think Squeenix would ever do that, but it's nice to dream.

Will probably just be an excuse to get more people to sign up for SE accounts and have horrible additions like always online DRM and microtransactions.

As far as I know, the Steam release of FF7 isn't always online. After a one time online activation, you should be able to play the game offline to your leisure.

Grief.exe

That was the Square store version, not the Steam version.

Steam version just required a Square Account on install, that was it.

denx

There sure is a lot of confusion among people about the DRM implementations of the different PC versions of FF7 that are out there.

NBtoaster

As far as I know, the Steam release of FF7 isn't always online. After a one time online activation, you should be able to play the game offline to your leisure.

That was the Square store version, not the Steam version.

Steam version just required a Square Account on install, that was it.

I have been grossly misinformed. That's why I didn't pick it up in the sale 3:

We will talk when FFX releases on Steam

You may be talking sooner then you think...unfortunately i would say its much more likely to see FFX then lX. I say this because it had a much larger following...that and the fact that is about to get an HD release. I dont know the complications involved in porting it though.

which would make me sad...X is the only FF i cant stand at all ( though i havnt touched 13 since i moved to PC gaming last gen) and 9 is one of my favs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry I said "separately on the PSN" when I meant from the PSN. Square Enix don't sell subscriptions through PSN, they sell the game on the PSN and then the subscriptions in-game. Sony doesn't get a cut.

Ah, I see. Are you sure subscriptions sold in-game don't utilise PSN's wallet feature? (I've never played a PS3 game online so I have no idea if PSN's Wallet feature is even akin to Steam's in that regard.)

Ah, I see. Are you sure subscriptions sold in-game don't utilise PSN's wallet feature? (I've never played a PS3 game online so I have no idea if PSN's Wallet feature is even akin to Steam's in that regard.)

The PSN wallet can be used to buy subscriptions but it's entirely down to the publisher whether they support it or not. DCU Online did back before it went F2P, for example.

But Square Enix doesn't want to share any of that revenue for understand reasons (Sony's not the ones running those servers and constantly patching the game), so they handle those transactions entirely separate from the PSN.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The PSN wallet can be used to buy subscriptions but it's entirely down to the publisher whether they support it or not. DCU Online did back before it went F2P, for example.

But Square Enix doesn't want to share any of that revenue for understand reasons (Sony's not the ones running those servers and constantly patching the game), so they handle those transactions entirely separate from the PSN.

In that case, either Squeenix has had a change of heart or, perhaps more likely, subscriptions aren't required to be offered through Steam. Time will tell!

Final Fantasy VIII is one of my favorite games. I have the disc version on PSX. A Steam release is great for those who have not played it, but I would like an HD remaster with 1080p graphics and modern sound, or a total remake like the pre-Playstation One games have received.

scitek

I have been grossly misinformed. That's why I didn't pick it up in the sale 3:

No, they lost a sale because they fucked up the initial release and did nothing to let you know of the changes. The Christmas sale is coming up, I'm sure it'll be on sale again then, but don't blame anyone but Squenix for their crappy handling of the situation.

game is up on steam!!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39150/

dat stealth release

This version of FFVIII includes the full game “Chocobo World” that was released as a separate application for previous versions. It is possible to play “Chocobo World” directly from the launcher after booting up FFVIII and by fulfilling certain specific conditions in the main game you will also be able to synchronise data between the two games.

This is all I needed to see.

Terra_Ex

Square's back with their crazy prices for 15 year old games again I see, will be waiting for 75% off. Interested to hear if some dumb drm is included in this release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom