• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 8 now on Steam - $11.99

TheTux

I'd buy it during the next sales but I don't like the battle system :(.

EDIT: Magic booster looks fun so you don't have to waste hours grinding (right?). Plus what's chocobo world and does it have the same DRM (SEEX Login) as FF VII?

What is this

Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

This feature can be used from the launcher.

I'd buy it during the next sales but I don't like the battle system :(.

EDIT: Magic booster looks fun so you don't have to waste hours grinding (right?). Plus what's chocobo world and does it have the same DRM (SEEX Login) as FF VII?

wait, isn't leveling up a bad thing in FF8?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh, that was fast.

Now, to wait for the inevitable 50% off during the Xmas sale...

I hope.

Can't wait to see what they messed up this time!
If we're counting things already wrong with FFVIII PC then the in-game clock running at super speed when you play Triple Triad is one. Another is not using the Playastation sound font so sounding bad (there are fan fixes).

HAHA maybe when is 5€ or less.

also

Recommended:
Processor: CPU Intel® Core™2 Duo 3GHz o superior
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT o superior
DirectX: Version 9.0c

WAT

Shiina

ss_1b9e185bcc1b15e891e1f2927de820bf83bf1149.1920x1080.jpg

TheTux

wait, isn't leveling up a bad thing in FF8?

I have no idea didn't play this game a lot, just arrived at the final dungeon.

As I said I don't like the combat/stat system, probably just because I've never really understood it.

EDIT: Anyway if I remember well you have to spend a lot of time taking magic spells from the enemies, right?

Nymphae

Banned
Glad more people can experience this FF gem. Has truly one of the best openings for a game of all time too.

Do you mean the opening cinematic? It's alright. The first several hours are great though, the Seed training mission was awesome (not the Ifrit fight, but the town with the big mechanical spider boss).

Clott

The question is, should I replay this in the Vita (OLED screen) or is the PC experience with AA and bigger screen the better experience. For the record I only play the Vita on the go when a trave, I won't be traveling any time soon so both will be played at home.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tips on how to break the entire game within 45 minutes of starting:
As soon as you can, max out your salary level. Buy 30 tents as soon as you can. Use Siren's Life Magic refine ability to refine 30 tents into 300 Curagas. Junction Curaga to each character's HP. You now have enough HP to beat the entire game without any difficulty--and because your max HP is boosted and your current HP is not, Squall will be in limit break mode until you heal. Fight as few random battles as you can for the entire game; learn Card Mod to kill enemies without earning experience. I believe Diablos has an ability to lower the random battle encounter rate. Don't ever fight a random battle where you actually kill the enemies, only run or Card Mod. You will be able to blaze through the entire game with no difficulty whatsoever.

This version of FFVIII includes the full game “Chocobo World” that was released as a separate application for previous versions. It is possible to play “Chocobo World” directly from the launcher after booting up FFVIII and by fulfilling certain specific conditions in the main game you will also be able to synchronise data between the two games.

Nifty!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey guys let's look at the achievements list!

Loser
Lose a rare card in a Triple Triad game

Not bad I guess. You need to lose Ifrit card for a Rinoa card.

Blue Magic Master
Learn all of Quistis' limit breaks

I guess grinding Siren to lv100 and mugging 100 Cursed Spikes shouldn't be too bad.

Obel Lake Secret
Complete the Obel Lake side ques

Wh...

what...

No...

No...

NOOOOOOOOO!

Tips on how to break the entire game within 45 minutes of starting:
As soon as you can, max out your salary level. Buy 30 tents as soon as you can. Use Siren's Life Magic refine ability to refine 30 tents into 300 Curagas. Junction Curaga to each character's HP. You now have enough HP to beat the entire game without any difficulty--and because your max HP is boosted and your current HP is not, Squall will be in limit break mode until you heal. Fight as few random battles as you can for the entire game; learn Card Mod to kill enemies without earning experience. I believe Diablos has an ability to lower the random battle encounter rate. Don't ever fight a random battle where you actually kill the enemies, only run or Card Mod. You will be able to blaze through the entire game with no difficulty whatsoever.

Nifty!

If you're achievement hunting, you need to go Lv100 for Siren.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah the game is fun to manipulate and break, it's too bad there's little other enjoyment to derive from it.

Top Bottom