• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 8 now on Steam - $11.99

V_Ben

Banned
Haha, us folks at Ripstone really can't predict when other companies will announce stuff can we. Right when FF8 comes out, hahaha. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HAHA maybe when is 5€ or less.

also

Recommended:
Processor: CPU Intel® Core™2 Duo 3GHz o superior
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT o superior
DirectX: Version 9.0c

WAT

Extreme.

Also FF8 was pretty easy... not sure why they added a cheat device.

Chronoja

So good. Happened much sooner than I was expecting. (even though it's been in the steam registry for years now but considering 7 had that whole square store exclusivity thing before releasing on steam, I expected the same to happen here)

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
(checks FF8 Hater Club ID card #1)

Too expensive. Yep, too expensive. :)

Good for the fans, though! Have fun.

Nymphae

Banned
The question is, should I replay this in the Vita (OLED screen) or is the PC experience with AA and bigger screen the better experience. For the record I only play the Vita on the go when a trave, I won't be traveling any time soon so both will be played at home.

I love playing RPGs on the vita, mostly because of the sleep mode. Often times these games make you go for huge stretches of game without save points which I can't stand. Also it's nice to map controller buttons to the Vita's touch screens, I prefer touching the corner of the screen to advance text instead of the face buttons. I know it's stupid, but I prefer it and appreciate the option.

TheTux

BTW do you guys think there will be a XMas mega sales like the summber/end november ones?

I wasn't in the mood of buying games in the last sale even though I saw some really nice discounts :)

I'd probably buy it if there's a Steam sale or something, but I like the game and bought it on PSN before. I'm still confused how some videos I see on Youtube has Squall very OP in the middle of the game, when I had all the best equipment and still wasn't strong. I don't know what they equipped on each character, but I was jealous.

I got used to the draw system after a while so I didn't dislike the combat. Now the characters on the other hand... let's just say Squall and Zell were the only ones I liked. Every other character was literally my pet peeves come to life.

xk0sm0sx

Wow lolol. The Magic Booster. (Why didn't they try to charge a money transaction on this :p)

I... really enjoyed Final Fantasy 8, even though I didn't understand what the hell is going on during the ending. The way it integrates cutscenes during gameplay was amazing. The music and setting and chocobo world were the best aspects. I'll ignore the characters and customization system for it.

ethanny2

Did not even look at price just bought it. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Square doing something right. I know the DRM sucks but I need to relive my childhood.

This time I promise not to make the mistake of just training Squall Zell and Riona.

Only pre rendered trailer?!

yxIdeDw.jpg

RPGCrazied

Steam achievements isn't enough to buy/play the game I can already play on 3 different platforms. Doesn't even have any graphical upgrades. Not even widescreen.

Awesome!! Bought FFVII but only have played it for like 20 minutes but it did give me instant nostalgia boner

Does this have the memory card game thing?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks like some achievements have no description.

Some like Eden and Omega Weapon Destroyed are a given... but what about Professional Player and Magazine Addict? I guess the former is win 100 card battles? Wonder about Magazine Addict... it can't be the Timber Maniacs one because it has its own achievement. Maybe it refers to all collectible magazines?

Fuck this game. I'll stick with the PS1 Classic ver
It's like FFVII in steam tho. You only need to create once then never bother.

Grief.exe

Did not even look at price just bought it. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Square doing something right. I know the DRM suck but I need to relive my childhood.

This time I promise not to make the mistake of just training Squall Zell and Riona.

We don't know if there is any DRM right now.

The only thing in the FFVII Steam release is an account creation on first launch. I hate DRM and I don't find that egregious at all.

You will have to let us know, but the regiatry app does not suggest Securom.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Not buying it at this price though, will wait for a discount. I just bought FFVII in the autumn sale too, need to replay it at least once.

Eh. It doesn't have most of the really good junctioning spells though, like regen, ultima, triple. Esuna's good though.
I guess they didn't want to make it too game breaking (not that the systems in this game aren't broken already, lol). Still, a nice addition I didn't expect to see, it does remove the tedium in drawing those spells.

Now all they need to do speed up the battles in a future port of FFIX so I can finally beat it. :p

Trailer shows many key moments in the game. Would avoid if you never played it before. I wish for a Laguna spin off game whenever I watch or play this game.

I hope this paves the way for IX to make it onto Steam.
According to the forums, you still need to use a Square Enix account to play the game
I'm not entirely against that but if it is restricting my play with online restrictions, activation limits or whatever I'm out.

studyguy

Why are people mad about an optional stat booster.
I'll never understand, you don't need to use it... it's like complaining about cheats in older GTA. Who cares?

That being said, the hi res images of the game make me forget how janky some things looked when they were rendered back then. Great for the time, but man... VIII was okay though, so whatever.

MilkBeard

This reminds me, I need to go back and finish the game. I stopped somewhere toward the end. Probably gonna jump back in a few days.

If I didn't purchase a physical copy then I would probably jump on this steam version.

2San

I'd probably buy it if there's a Steam sale or something, but I like the game and bought it on PSN before. I'm still confused how some videos I see on Youtube has Squall very OP in the middle of the game, when I had all the best equipment and still wasn't strong. I don't know what they equipped on each character, but I was jealous.

I got used to the draw system after a while so I didn't dislike the combat. Now the characters on the other hand... let's just say Squall and Zell were the only ones I liked. Every other character was literally my pet peeves come to life.
You need to junction good magic on to your characters to make them strong.

You don't really need to draw either, just refining cards works well too imo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Once you get the chocobo just leave it running. It seems to be random, you'll eventually go 100.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am in. I need to 100% achieve FF7 first though, so maybe wait for the winter sales, just in case

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looks like some achievements have no description.

Some like Eden and Omega Weapon Destroyed are a given... but what about Professional Player and Magazine Addict? I guess the former is win 100 card battles? Wonder about Magazine Addict... it can't be the Timber Maniacs one because it has its own achievement. Maybe it refers to all collectible magazines?

Professional Player could be getting a complete set of cards. :/

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Why are people mad about an optional stat booster.
I'll never understand, you don't need to use it... it's like complaining about cheats in older GTA. Who cares?

That being said, the hi res images of the game make me forget how janky some things looked when they were rendered back then. Great for the time, but man... VIII was okay though, so whatever.
I don't think anyone who ever played FF8 and understands how drawing spells work in the game thinks this is bad. It's a good feature.

EDIT: Anyway if I remember well you have to spend a lot of time taking magic spells from the enemies, right?
A quick tip for this. You get more magic from enemies if your magic stat is higher, so if you're searching for spells to apply to stats remember to junction the magic stat first.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through FFIX.
I would drop it instantly if a PC version was announced because I HATE the loading for battles.

But it'll never happen.

Anustart

I'd buy it during the next sales but I don't like the battle system :(.

EDIT: Magic booster looks fun so you don't have to waste hours grinding (right?). Plus what's chocobo world and does it have the same DRM (SEEX Login) as FF VII?

Oiy. This is part of why people hate the game, they get magic in the slowest possible way. Drawing magic isn't recommended anyway. It's so much easier, faster and more efficient to refine magic :/

MilkBeard

Now all they need to do speed up the battles in a future port of FFIX so I can finally beat it. :p

If they did that, I would try IX again. I have it on PSN but I find the game to be too damned tedious. VIII is kind of in the middle, where if you put the battle speed on high it's tolerable, except for watching the summons over and over. VII had the fastest battle system for the most part, which made it easy for me to jump back in after all these years.

BigDes

BTW do you guys think there will be a XMas mega sales like the summber/end november ones?

I wasn't in the mood of buying games in the last sale even though I saw some really nice discounts :)

Yes, this is 100% certain. The Christmas sale is a yearly Steam tradition. Also the dates of it got leaked for this year. 19th-the something or other I forget

studyguy

Wow at the Magic Booster, why would they even add that?

Some people don't care to pull spells for ages when they want to move on in the story. The Junction system was great, but the acquiring magic was a pain in the ass sometimes. Just a matter of convenience.

kvk1

Wow, that trailer is a spoiler fest. Avoid avoid avoid.

I will say this: 8 was my first FF, my first RPG game, and to this day remains my favorite of the series. It's seminal title for me. I absolutely adore everything about it.

TheTux

Oiy. This is part of why people hate the game, they get magic in the slowest possible way. Drawing magic isn't recommended anyway. It's so much easier, faster and more efficient to refine magic :/
A quick tip for this. You get more magic from enemies if your magic stat is higher, so if you're searching for spells to apply to stats remember to junction the magic stat first.

Thanks guys, as I said I didn't play the game a lot (not enough to fully understand the battle/stat system) and that's probably why I don't enjoy it :(.

Yes, this is 100% certain. The Christmas sale is a yearly Steam tradition. Also the dates of it got leaked for this year. 19th-the something or other I forget

That's great thanks.

Top Bottom