• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 8 now on Steam - $11.99

Erhhmmm... from the promo text:

Galbadia, a Global Superpower, has declared war on Dollet, a country whose training academy is home to two personalities: the hot-headed Seifer and the 'lone wolf', Squall Leonhart. Both are equally at conflict with each other as their country is with Galbadia

That's wrong, isn't it?
The big SeeD entrance exam takes place in Dollet
but Squall isn't FROM Dollet. Niether is Balamb Garden in Dollet. Somebody at S-E doesn't know the lore.

Famassu

How hard would it be to HD remake PS1 games?

Games of the scope of PS1 FFs? Super-hard. Well, not hard per se, but they'd have to dedicate a big team & go through a long development time to do it. They'd rather put that kind of effort into new games.

Grief.exe

Fairly hard if they go through and re-render all of their 2D assets at higher resolutions. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were already lost to the ages.

Yes, apparently the source code for many older games has been lost due to storage being so expensive back then.

If you look at Mama Robotnik's FFVIII thread, they had some amazing art that they originally downsampled to make the PS1 backgrounds.
I kind of doubt these higher resolution Backgrounds made it into the original PC release.

Yeah the game is fun to manipulate and break, it's too bad there's little other enjoyment to derive from it.
This is my feeling on the game as well. I really don't enjoy much of anything in the game outside of intentionally making the characters as broken as humanly possible.

BigDug13

Man Square-Enix is like opposite of everyone else when it comes to iOS pricing. People talk about all those $1 games on ipad.

Looking up just now.

FF IV: $16
FF V: $16
FF Tactics: $18
FF 3: $17
FF IV the after years: $16

Now they release FF VIII on Steam for $12. They're discounting other platforms except mobile which seems to be the opposite of every other company releasing games across multiple platforms.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Professional Player could be getting a complete set of cards. :/

no pls

donotwant.jpg

I prefer my faithful-to-the-ps1-version PSN copy on my Vita, but it's cool that this.... version... is available on Steam for PC people.
Man Square-Enix is like opposite of everyone else when it comes to iOS pricing. People talk about all those $1 games on ipad.

Looking up just now.

Now they release FF VIII on Steam for $12. They're discounting other platforms except mobile which seems to be the opposite of every other company releasing games across multiple platforms.
Not only that, but their games are NEVER universal between iPhone and iPad. If you want it on both you have to buy the game twice and it costs considerably more for the iPad version. Also, they released a port of a SNES game (Chrono Trigger) for $10 that runs at 30FPS with their trademark shitty font when you can emulate the SNES version on the same device at 60FPS easily.

For a company that is apparently as focused as they are on iOS they sure seem to be half assing their games for the platform. Maybe that's the point.

Grief.exe

This didn't have a release on the Square store originally did it? Funny how that works, Square Japan has learned their lesson and going full on Steam.

Mihos

Gold Member
Looking through the achievement list, is it even possible to do this on a single play through? The not leveling Squall one kind of pisses me off.

Nymphae

Banned
Some people don't care to pull spells for ages when they want to move on in the story. The Junction system was great, but the acquiring magic was a pain in the ass sometimes. Just a matter of convenience.

No I get that (even though as others have said, refining spells is much faster but no one does that apparently). What I don't get is why it's free.

Looking up just now.

I think it's because Square puts more effort towards their IOS releases and that they're better sellers.

Boss Doggie

I'm still surprised people draw magic to this day.

Erhhmmm... from the promo text:

That's wrong, isn't it?
The big SeeD entrance exam takes place in Dollet
but Squall isn't FROM Dollet. Niether is Balamb Garden in Dollet. Somebody at S-E doesn't know the lore.

Pretty much. Seifer isn't even that important in the grand scheme of things.

With that said, the
training exercise
IS helping Dollet fight Galbadia's occupation.

Looking through the achievement list, is it even possible to do this on a single play through? The not leveling Squall one kind of pisses me off.

It's possible, but hard.

Keep Squall dead as your party members reach 100. And because it involves collecting, you might miss out stuff like the "Weapons Issue Magazine 1st"

2San

No wonder my Squall reeked. I never touched the cards in the game.
Well you could get a strong squal by drawing ultima, quake, etc. magics. :p

Refining the cards just went faster imo. Not sure if it was a lot faster or if I was just enjoying myself with card battles. Refining cards gives you various magic and a way to overpower yourself pretty fast, since you can get some of the stronger magic early by refining. You can also get Leonhart in the first disc afaik.

Jawmuncher

I'm still surprised people draw magic to this day.

With that said, the
training exercise
IS helping Dollet fight Galbadia's occupation.

Wait I don't have to draw magic?

Shahed

It's actually pretty easy to do and doesn't take much time. Especially if you abuse reloading for relocating the Queen of Hearts and game rules. Besides card refining (well refining in general) makes the game super easy if you know what you're doing

Boss Doggie

Nope, right off the bat the GFs given to you can learn refine Water/Ice spells and Thunder/Wind spells.

It's actually pretty easy to do and doesn't take much time. Besides card refining (well refining in general) makes the game super easy if you know what you're doing
Some are just annoying, especially when they're on certain regions like Edea (fuck you, Centra rules!), Ellone (fuck you, Lunar rules!), and such. Some even require you to do a chain of sidequests (fuck you, Queen of Cards!)

kvk1

Hah.

Always found it amusing how they showed him during the ending CGI; considering the magnitude of shenanigans he got up to during the course of the game.

Like, oh...okay. We're just gonna forget all that.

And now my 12th playthrough of this masterpiece will allow me to access Chocobo World. Moomba summon will be mine after all these years! Also looking forward to crisper 3D graphics than the PS1 version, because that is what I immediately noticed about VII PC.

Don't mind at all playing through this again (15 hours on Vita right now) because the freedom of playstyles in this game is unrivaled in the FF series imo. Always bound to find something new.

Also, having a virtual factory available to you with "refining" is one of the best things ever.

Mzo

wait, isn't leveling up a bad thing in FF8?

He meant grinding as in sucking magic from enemies one or two at a time to have a full stack of 100 so you can get the max stat boosts from Junctioning. That's only early game, though, later you'll be refining more magic than you suck if you know what you're doing.

It is a bad idea. Enemies level up with you so you never really have a huge advantage. You should wait until you unlock the stat boosts at level up before power leveling. Every level in the game requires 100 XP. Going from level 1 to level 2? 100 XP. 70 to 71? 100 XP. 98 to 99? 100 XP. It's so bad. Don't forget that you can never drop Squall from your party, so he'll always grossly outlevel everyone else unless you control it by not leveling at all. Some enemies drop different items at different levels, but you have abilities that will change the levels of enemies just for that purpose. Another hint is that bosses give you no XP at all. Leveling in FF8 is done for stat boosts alone, the end.

I hated the game so much I learned all its systems inside and out and finished it 100%. Everything that can be done in that game, I did it. I don't want anybody telling me I don't like it because I don't understand it. I understand everything about this game, inside and out, and I hate it.

Nymphae

Banned
It's actually pretty easy to do and doesn't take much time. Especially if you abuse reloading for relocating the Queen of Hearts and game rules. Besides card refining (well refining in general) makes the game super easy if you know what you're doing

It is definitely not easy to do. You need a fucking FAQ and you have to do it so meticulously if you don't want the wrong rules to spread. I've played this game like 4 or 5 times and I've never gotten a full set of cards, and I tried 2 or 3 times I think, I just kept fucking up somewhere along the line and spread the Random rule.

Mzo

The alternative to drawing magic is using GF abilities to refine it from items and cards. It's far, far more efficient.

I hope you really like the card game (and most people seem to) because there are ridiculous benefits to playing it and stocking up on cards.

Learn how to control the rules and don't spread Random. It's the single worst thing in an already terrible game.

edit: God help me, I did get a full set of cards in my perfect playthrough. I should load it up and take a look.

13€. LOL. Not buying when I got it on PSN (which means portable on PSP and Vita) for 5€...

According to Steam Achievements, 7.7% of players have gotten all the cards and got to level 100, while 2.6% have completed the game without levelling Squall up. This has to be pretty bugged, right?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tips on how to break the entire game within 45 minutes of starting:
I think I naturally went for the
immediate draw 1 sleep, then use it to put the enemies to sleep to draw 100 sleeps, and then from there draw stops and deaths, and use those to farm Mesmerize Blades for Regens, and then do whatever the fuck I wanted.
If you weren't totally OP in 2 hours, you clearly didn't bother reading how the junction system worked. It not only let you go OP, it let you quickly switch around the different ways you wanted each character to be OP. Broken ass game. Still pretty good, though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It is definitely not easy to do. You need a fucking FAQ and you have to do it so meticulously if you don't want the wrong rules to spread. I've played this game like 4 or 5 times and I've never gotten a full set of cards, and I tried 2 or 3 times I think, I just kept fucking up somewhere along the line and spread the Random rule.
Yeah, a lot of the things that people proclaim as being very easy or obvious about this game aren't at all, unless you've read posts with tips or guides outlining what you're supposed to do. Anyone who approaches FF8 with no previous knowledge of its wacky systems will most likely "play it wrong".

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Now do 9.

So i can have the triumvirate

FF6 is the best FF and it'll be cool if they have it first...

but I kinda doubt it, look like they are just doing 7 and 8 because they were already PC ports of these two games and they are just re-optimizing them for modern PCs/OSs.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, a lot of the things that people proclaim as being very easy or obvious about this game aren't at all, unless you've read posts with tips or guides outlining what you're supposed to do. Anyone who approaches FF8 with no previous knowledge of its wacky systems will most likely "play it wrong".

Refining is told you in-game if you bother with the GFs.

It's the RNG manipulation of card rules and queenie that is needed for the guide.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Refining is told you in-game if you bother with the GFs.

It's the RNG manipulation of card rules and queenie that is needed for the guide.
Yeah, but the game still proposes drawing and leveling up as a valid way of playing it. I just take issue with old time players saying it's obvious that FF8 is completely broken and that just by playing it it's super clear how to become a superhuman at the beginning of the game.

Oemenia

Banned
The art in this game is insane.
Those shots are so painful, not only have the been lost but the PSone for some reason makes the more washed out.

Any impressions so far though, the PC versions backgrounds looked even worse. I hope the game gets the modding attention FFVII does, it wont require half as much work but the improvements could go a long way.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, but the game still proposes drawing and leveling up as a valid way of playing it. I just take issue with old time players saying it's obvious that FF8 is completely broken and that just by playing it it's super clear how to become a superhuman at the beginning of the game.

It sorta does, in a way, with Quistis's tutorials, at least with regards to Junction. With that said the steps on going nuke early on requires steps.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just take issue with old time players saying it's super obvious and clear that FF8 is completely broken and that only by playing it it's super clear how to become a superhuman in the beginning of the game.
Well I figured it out immediately without any guides or other help when I was 16, so I think it is. The game directly explains to you how things work, so unless you just never even bother to look at the refinement menus to see what things can turn into and what new enemy drops/cards can get you, I don't see how you'd miss it. And when the game specifically tells you through a guided menu tutorial that such is how you get nice items, I have no idea why you would ignore it.

Banned
Bought baby. My back catalogue of PC games just skyrocketed. Add in Wii U and 3DS games and my social life is ruined.

Top Bottom