• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVIII looks like its about to be released on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

You know, I wouldn't mind an HD remake

The real problem with these PS1 ports is the backgrounds are all really low resolution and need to be upscaled.

Once we pull into the PS2 generation, we don't have to worry about that anymore. A PC port will look clean by virtue of extremely high resolution and post-process effects.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Good music, good areas, meh game. I used to like it a lot but it's waaaay too slow for me to play now.

Thank god for FF7 battle speed slider. Who knew a single menu option could make FF7 playable rather than 8 or 9 a decade later (for me anyway).

Wonder if the music will sound better. My girl Faye in TruHD™ sound.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The real problem with these PS1 ports is the backgrounds are all really low resolution and need to be upscaled.

Once we pull into the PS2 generation, we don't have to worry about that anymore. A PC port will look clean by virtue of extremely high resolution and post-process effects.

That's what I mean tho, a remake!

Grief.exe

Leave it up to Square to put heavy handed DRM on a 15 year old game. This company is so out of touch it's cute sometimes.

The only DRM on the Steam version of FFVII was the Square Account which was required on install.

Hopefully FFVIII won't even had that. The only thing they have set up right now is a region restriction, which these large publishers like to do.

Day 0.

2nd best FF game right after FF12.

Insta buy on Steam if true, and I usually believe Grief.exe except that Halo 1/2/3 Fiasco.

I have spent so many hours playing Triple Triad... best minigame in FF series.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Weird, I distinctly recall seeing FFIX in PC before.

Planned but never released.

FFIX does scale up very nicely on emulators with openGL plugin support. The 320x240 backgrounds look beautiful even today if scaled and smoothed properly.

Grief.exe

Day 0.

2nd best FF game right after FF12.

Insta buy on Steam if true, and I usually believe Grief.exe except that Halo 1/2/3 Fiasco.

I have spent so many hours playing Triple Triad... best minigame in FF series.

Still no fiasco there! Just reporting what was found in the registry and AMD drivers, they weren't updating the app daily or adding in purchasing options like with FFVIII, Guacamele, FFVII, etc.

The Halo situation is currently delayed until 2014. Until then, Believe.exe

suzu

Great. :)

On drawing mechanic.. yeah it sucks, but to make it less of an annoyance: learn the ability that changes items into magic spells & the card ability too. I forget what they're called.

Grief.exe

Great. :)

On drawing mechanic.. yeah it sucks, but to make it less of an annoyance: learn the ability that changes items into magic spells & the card ability too. I forget what they're called.

I have never played FFVIII, or IX for that matter, so all of this talk is over my head ;)

when-someone-tells-me-I-should-get-a-real-job.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
Yay. I remember back in May they said they were about 80% done with this.

I'll probably wait for a sale, but I'll definitely get it at some point.

suzu

I have never played FFVIII, or IX for that matter, so all of this talk is over my head ;)

Haha, well "drawing" is usually one of the disliked things that people bring up about FFVIII. So it was just a random tip for any future players.

Still no fiasco there! Just reporting what was found in the registry and AMD drivers, they weren't updating the app daily or adding in purchasing options like with FFVIII, Guacamele, FFVII, etc.

The Halo situation is currently delayed until 2014. Until then, Believe.exe

Believe.exe :) I like it. Keep up the great work in posting the Steam findings, Grief. Thanks!

daxgame

FFVIII is one of my favourite FF ever, and my wife wasn't able to play it 'cause it doesn't run on her Windows 7. Can't wait.

Why release this when you could just release a triple triad app?

TRIPLE TRIAD APP

Still blows my mind that Square can release so much garbage on ios and are yet to do this.

Online play, microtransactions for cards...it prints money.

The important thing to note about FF8 is despite the pluses and negatives of the junction system, the game is pretty much completely broken balance wise anyway. So it is just sit back and enjoy the ride time.

Lunafreya

FFVIII was quite unique, its not always that we get a full Witch themed game, and a RPG one at that! I'd love to see more witch theme/settings in video games.

Knurek

Hell yeah, not the best PS1 era Final Fantasy (Tactics is obviously way better, here's to Squeenix porting the PSP rerelease), but an amazing
ly broken
experience nevertheless.

Looking forward to the inevitable 66% off down the line.

I played the PC port back in the day, was serviceable. Music was toned down a bit (EA or whoever ported it used DirectMusic for playback, meaning MIDIs+Custom Soundfonts), but given the FF7 rerelease used PS1 audio, hopefully this one will as well.

Jintor

Ah...my first FF.

I still love and hate the game at the same time.

Yep.

I loved it when I thought it was a political intrigue thriller with flying schools that were also armies.

Then... time compression. BLAH

Still, I like the cast, I like the general vibe, I fucking loooooove Eyes on Me and I love the way you can snap the game in two over your knee by abusing the shit out of junctions.

Category G

Neo Member
Here's hoping that VII did so well on Steam itself that they don't bother with an "exclusivity period" on the Square Enix page.

Also wish this would convince other Japanese companies to put their old PC versions up on Steam. I'm looking at you Konami/Capcom. :mad:

Well, good.

I've been waiting for a while to be able to buy this on Steam. I'm not a huge fan of either Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII, but I would like to see more Japanese RPGs on the PC. They've been taking a while, so hopefully it's a good port. I know that both Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII were ported to the PC years ago. But an updated port on Steam will be very helpful. Both of these games deserved updated ports fixing issues.

Maybe if Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII do well enough on the PC through Steam, we'll get more games from Square Enix on the platform. I would like to see Final Fantasy IX on Steam, it's my favourite PlayStation Final Fantasy game. And one of my favourite RPGs for the PlayStation.

For me, Final Fantasy IX is up there with my absolute favourite RPGs on the PlayStation like Grandia, Tales of Destiny, and Tales of Eternia.

I'd love for them to develop a PC version of that game.

Borman

People who think they remember FFIX on the PC probably saw the ffonline April fools joke years ago hah. That brings me back thinking about it.

Terra_Ex

Will definitely buy, one of my favourite FFs. Though I recall there was a texture bug with the original PC version which resulted in the world map textures looking like total garbage (worse than PS1) so hopefully they've sorted that for this release.

Tecl0n

I'll probably get it in time, but i have VII and haven't got much further in because i just hate looking at those backgrouds. Maybe i'll dust my old CDs and play it on an emulator like i did with IX...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom