• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Issue number 1 with the episode though was the Ashi fight. What the ever living fuck. Did someone do a cheat code off screen? When Jack fights hordes of enemies it's already hard to grasp, but at least like when he does it's either a struggle due to being underarmed (first time battling beetles), or easy when he has years of experience AND has a lot of weaponry (this season's beetle fight). And even then, he doesn't fight a WHOLE fucking army and descimate enemies within seconds.

Is this freaking Dynasty Warriors? When did Ashi gain the strength to literally push a sea of men? If she can do this proportionally then why the fuck was she struggling with the mechanic/electrician dude during the children episode. It felt like a fan fiction video game cutscene and I disliked it.
Reminder these guys were in the 7th episode of the entire series.

tumblr_ooetbhc7fH1w3xxamo1_500.gif

tumblr_oovttnlm0l1ri5ljho2_500.gif

Reminder these guys were in the 7th episode of the entire series.

tumblr_ooetbhc7fH1w3xxamo1_500.gif

tumblr_oovttnlm0l1ri5ljho2_500.gif

i'm not seeing the point. From the start they were shown to be OP and making it rain arrows was their thing, so of course they could take army. Prior to this nothing made me believe Ashi could grab a dude and run like butter through a sea of people.

Tubobutts

I agree that the last two episodes, especially this last one, have been strange. It's not just the pacing for me, though that is also a big part of it.

Mainly, I think the idea of getting the sword back magically is sort of deflating. It seems too convenient. I think it would have been more compelling to actually have to physically search for it somehow. I think they leaned too hard into the tea scene; for me, it felt a little forced. It would have been more natural, I think, to weave the idea of getting over his anger in an actual, real-life situation. I think that would have been more fulfilling instead of detached-from-reality meditation.
They showed him searching for the sword physically. He couldn't find it because the sword is a magical artifact and he wasn't worthy of using it. I think the scene of him becoming worthy again was rushed, but since they only have 10 episodes what can you do?

I freaking loved this episode so I'm a little baffled by some of the responses here.

Only thing I'm sad about is that we're losing long hair and beard Jack. I loved that look.

Toxi

Banned
i'm not seeing the point. From the start they were shown to be OP and making it rain arrows was their thing, so of course they could take army. Prior to this nothing made me believe Ashi could grab a dude and run like butter through a sea of people.
Beating an army in this setting is not a huge achievement. In "Jack vs Aku", Jack literally beats an army by doing nothing.

And yes, Ashi is OP. All the Daughters of Aku are OP, which is clear when they handed Jack his ass in their first fight. Yes, Jack beat the Daughters of Aku after he changed his approach, just like he beat the Blind Archers. But that doesn't mean they stop being absurdly OP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beating an army in this setting is not a huge achievement. In "Jack vs Mad Jack", Jack literally beats an army by doing nothing.

And yes, Ashi is OP. All the Daughters of Aku are OP, which is clear when they handed Jack his ass in their first fight. Yes, Jack beat the Daughters of Aku, just like he beat the Blind Archers. But that doesn't mean they stop being absurdly OP.

I don't think anyone has a problem with her beating an army. It's the same thing I complained about yesterday, pushing a bunch of dudes down the mountain just looked silly and out of place. The fight after that part was fine.

I don't think anyone has a problem with her beating an army. It's the same thing I complained about yesterday, pushing a bunch of dudes down the mountain just looked silly and out of place. The fight after that part was fine.

this is my thing. If you need to defeat an army, do it like Jack against the beetles where they emphasize how he's getting sliced and diced the whole way through. You open the battle with her flying like Lu Bu through enemies and it removes any tension to the scene.

Wanderer5

Yeah the whole resolution with Jack overcoming that anger and despair and getting his sword back felt wonky, but otherwise through that was a okay episode. The whole Ashi beats the crap out of the army had some silliness, but otherwise it didn't feel that far out. The whole thing with Ashi's mother felt kind of lame here if that is the end of it, but maybe there is a chance that she will be back one more time.

Also yeah Jack does feel a bit off without those outlines around his eyes lol.

The latest episode was just fantastic.

Jack finally found himself & seeing Ashi take down an entire army was an amazing thing to behold. Also some fantastic animation as per usual. We're heading off the home stretch of episodes, can't wait.

xezuru

Enjoyed this episode but weird notes I have for it:
-It's really strange that Jack is having all this battle for morality of human lives while Ashii murders a thousand thousand man battalion, blood not oil 😜.

-I really don't like that the Mother of the Aku cult returned, I saw her storyline being stronger when it reflected how the world was outside of Jack, aka how the system is so institutionalized and normalized to be life under Aku's grace, and how people specifically Ashii was able to overcome that system, the mother was never the enemy and now it kind of just dragged it back to individuals being blamed.

-Without that Mother storyline, yes I think I would've enjoyed a whole episode dedicated to tea time and Jack redemption, Jack's arc does feel pretty rushed imo.

it's not strange for Jack considering he was fighting robots the whole time and had a traumatic event as a kid. While Ashi's whole goal in life was to murder Jack alongside her sisters.

Granted, killing Aku is still killing a living being so maybe he holds human life more dear.

caliph95

it's not strange for Jack considering he was fighting robots the whole time and had a traumatic event as a kid. While Ashi's whole goal in life was to murder Jack alongside her sisters.

Granted, killing Aku is still killing a living being so maybe he holds human life more dear.
Aku is literally evil personified i think he is an exception

this is my thing. If you need to defeat an army, do it like Jack against the beetles where they emphasize how he's getting sliced and diced the whole way through. You open the battle with her flying like Lu Bu through enemies and it removes any tension to the scene.

Tension wasn't the point of that scene, unlike her fight with her mother

It was there to serve as a contrast to Jack's peaceful journey to finding inner peace

xezuru

I mean I get it, but I considered killing to be one of the things at least trying to be thrown out of Aku's handbook when Jack showed her the world.

Zubz

Banned
Also, I think this is Greg Baldwin's best performance as Aku yet. It's the first time I've heard Aku speak this season without feeling thrown off. He does the laugh really well.

not only was he not depressed this episode, he was also not doing Aku doing a german accent like a psychologist.

Yes, & yes (Well, I'm 99% sure that was supposed to be an Austrian accent because most psychology-related tropes are Freud-based). He still sounded off when he killed 2/3 of the army, but Baldwin has regular, smug Aku down pat.

Jack appears to not see aliens or demons as sapient beings capable of change, either. I think the goats just played into that trauma, with Jack realizing these friendly creatures were killed after undergoing that change.

Nordicus

Also, I think this is Greg Baldwin's best performance as Aku yet. It's the first time I've heard Aku speak this season without feeling thrown off. He does the laugh really well.
It is his best episode, but he still slurs too much.

I remember Mako's Aku performance as if he's being completely anal about the clarity of every single word separately despite having a very throaty voice. Has that unintentional slightly robotic feel.
Yea that was all aku

Jack's anger had nothing to do with it
Except the whole spell was dispelled by Jack controlling his anger, so yes it had something to do with him.

Nikodemos

I'm not sure if people are aware of this, but slim-jawed Jack was Tartakovsky's original pitch to Cartoon Network. They had him make Jack's jawline more squared, more Western action-hero-y. Now that he no longer has to accept CN's demands, he can use his original design (again).

I'm not sure if people are aware of this, but slim-jawed Jack was Tartakovsky's original pitch to Cartoon Network. They had him make Jack's jawline more squared, more Western action-hero-y. Now that he no longer has to accept CN's demands, he can use his original design (again).
Anywhere I can find more tidbits like this? That's interesting.

Anywhere I can find more tidbits like this? That's interesting.
Fun fact, Genndy was going to make Aku in his woman form make Jack fall in love with him, get married, have kids and live their entire lives together as a happy family. Then as Jack was on his death bed in old age with his loving wife besides him, Aku would transform back into his regular form to call him a samurai fool

Fun fact, Genndy was going to make Aku in his woman form make Jack fall in love with him, get married, have kids and live their entire lives together as a happy family. Then as Jack was on his death bed in old age with his loving wife besides him, Aku would transform back into his regular form to call him a samurai fool

THE ULTIMATE FINESSER

AKU, MASTER OF NO CHILL

The first three episodes of the season were spectacular, don't think we've reached those heights again.

Agree with the sentiment a poster shared a few pages back. This episode feels like they rushed the conclusions of several subplots which could have done with their own episode or two. I will forever be grateful we're getting a conclusion to Jack's story, this episode left we wishing we could have a few more episodes :(

Still a fantastic episode. Ashi going HAM. Jack making tea was fantastic. Beautiful art as per with this season and the OST was exceptional.

But... how?

Xe4

Banned
Hell, there was that one time he pretended to be a lady and romanced Jack a little...

It's in my headcannon that they actually fucked, just so Aku could get into Jacks head and be a total asshole, cause that's totally the type of character he is. They just couldn't show it cause it was CN.

Well, not really, but still.

It's in my headcannon that they actually fucked, just so Aku could get into Jacks head and be a total asshole, cause that's totally the type of character he is. They just couldn't show it cause it was CN.

*jack is getting dressed-*

"FOOOOOOOOLISH SAMURAI"

Zubz

Banned

Ditto.
I 100% believe Aku would actually do that.

Sou Da

*jack is getting dressed-*

"FOOOOOOOOLISH SAMURAI"

There's a NSFW picture like this but Aku has some white mixed in with his black when he transforms back to yell 'foolish samurai'

combine42

Neo Member
So about the Ashi army fight thing. Maybe the human characters in Samrurai Jack are kinda like the human vs orcs in LOTR. Humans have been shown to be stronger and way better at fighting than orcs. So maybe its like that?

Toa TAK

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking that this season of Samurai Jack is one of the best seasons in western animation?
Please tell me this is real

caliph95

I wish this was real

Korgill

It says a lot about Genndy and this fandom when no can tell if this was a real statement or not. And I say that not sure whether I believe it.

This would have been utterly fucking incredible to see, but it would have destroyed me lol. Do you mean this would be the plot of Season 5 or the canon ending before S5 was created?

There's a NSFW picture like this but Aku has some white mixed in with his black when he transforms back to yell 'foolish samurai'

HAHAHA NOOOOOOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom