• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

Josh7289

ffxiii2_sunlethWaterscape300_00037_79496_640screen.jpg

He already looked like shitty Seifer clone in 13, but this is complete garbage with some Organization XIII dude hair from KH.

HAHAHAHA holy shit

Nairume

Banned
Disappoint @ new in-game Laura. Talk about misleading.

Edit: Maturity. Kaneko grew into a style of his own, and it definitely payed off, imo.

The weird thing is that, where virtually every other artist in the industry got more complex as time went on, Kaneko's design for Aleph became much simpler years later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The level of detail isn't the issue, per se, I was hoping that she'd at least resemble the render while in-game. Granted, that may be a bad shot.

Here are a few more as links where she's more grimy:

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_tomb_raider-15957-1912_0010.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_tomb_raider-15957-1912_0011.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_tomb_raider-15957-1912_0012.jpg

For comparison, here is her official concept art released at the same time:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/images/site/pages/tr/bg.jpg

The other image is a render by VisualWorks.

tumblr_l93j6n6DA11qbuhrdo1_400.jpg

SomaDawn.jpg

Kojima's art is a tough act to follow but jeez.

Oh my god, this was the biggest downgrade in terms of redesigns that I've encountered in a long while. It's one thing if they decided to go with a more anime influenced look but kept up the tone and quality. They practically shot straight into amateur, fanart territory instead.

iavi

This definitely clears things up. In general, the in-game model definitely seems to go along with the concept art in your post there, and does look much better than in those screens than in the previous shot. She was definitely softened up in the face a bit, from the render to concept art, but I still dig.

Oh my god, this was the biggest downgrade in terms of redesigns that I've encountered in a long while. It's one thing if they decided to go with a more anime influenced look but kept up the tone and quality. They practically shot straight into amateur, fanart territory instead.

I just don't know how I should feel about this. I mean, to take Soma from being one of the baddest looking motherfuckers to the worst looking goofball in animu history has to deserve some kind of award. Even the fur is gone.

Don't think anyone posted this yet.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler:

P2-Hitler.jpg

Persona 2: Innocent Sin's Hitler... on PSP:

tumblr_lzghwvReXn1r2xy16.png

He's fucking awesome on the PSP. Well... as awesome as one of history's least awesome people gets, but I digress!

I'd say it's an improvement IMO, but that's not my opinion. It is fact.
Still think this was a major improvement, just for hilarity's sake. Still gotta finish the game for the PSP.

Also, I really, really dislike the Zelda from Skyward Sword. Tried to make her too cute.
TP:
Agz7g.png
SS:
f76rfl.jpg

iavi

201px-SquallModel.png

to

443px-Leon_KH_1.jpg

They even changed his name to Leon. lolwat

For Squall, the more accurate of exqamples would be these, I think:

UQZH5.jpg
QFlZb.png

One's a cg render, and the other is hand-drawn, but I feel as if it does the point well enough. I've always been one to admit that I thought Squall looked badass in VIII, Dissidia-era Nomura just destroys even that.

Ledsen

Still think this was a major improvement, just for hilarity's sake. Still gotta finish the game for the PSP.

Also, I really, really dislike the Zelda from Skyward Sword. Tried to make her too cute.
TP:
Agz7g.png
SS:
f76rfl.jpg

Really? SS Zelda is one of my favourite Nintendo designs ever. Looks AMAZING in-game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh, I always thought game engine has some "effect" on artstyle/design of characters and such in games.

peakish

The new, young Lara is pretty good even if I'm a total fan of her classic design (In the modern games were they shrunk her breasts a bit from the total ridiculousness - so she went from wank fantasy to a more modest character instead of the other way around like other characters in the thread. Very cool.). Just a pure iconic bad ass adventuring design spiced with sexy without being really masturbatory or going into fetish camp (Edit: Eg. zero suit Samus to compare with another strong female character). Plus non-high heel boots.

TP:http://i.imgur.com/Agz7g.png SS:http://i.imgur.com/f76rfl.jpg
Why the random comparison to TP? They're completely different characters for completely different tones. I might as well say that they tried to make TP Zelda to grimdark (which tbh I think they tried for the whole game, even if they nailed a lot of the actual design). I love the SS design.

While I generally love Ayami Kojima's artwork, her work on Aria was rather horrible.

E9s81.jpg

She recovered splendidly for Harmony of Despair though:

wwDWU.png

And then she went and recovered new Soma. This is much better than "random pimp coat and bellbottoms" Soma.

tCFiI.jpg

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.

UQZH5.jpg
QFlZb.png

One's a cg render, and the other is hand-drawn, but I feel as if it does the point well enough. I've always been one to admit that I thought Squall looked badass in VIII, Dissidia-era Nomura just destroys even that.

It's kind of funny to see how dang small Squall's torso is.

Anyway : Chris Redfield

D3KNJ.jpg
uxnIL.jpg
I knew this would be brought up as soon as I entered the thread. Totally disagree. RE5 Chris is fucking eye candy, man. UPGRADE.

Even though there is barely any consistency in the FE universe, I find these new character designs to be a huuuuuge step down from previous ones.

Going from this

Fire_Emblem_Background_by_BritTheMighty.jpg

to this

fire-emblem-3ds-screenshot-and-artwork-646x325.jpg

really gets to me.
At least it's not as bad as Shadow Dragon's art. Now that got to me.

its the same one.
cole-anatomy-big.jpg
Man, I still wish they had kept this design. He looks so damn attractive; plus, he doesn't look like another boring White male.

I still don't get the dumb "boy band member" comments in regards to this design. He looks cool (to me).

duckroll

http://i.imgur.com/UQZH5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/QFlZb.png

cGdWC.jpg

Ysw7L.jpg

I don't see much meaningful difference.

If you want to compare the artwork... then this is the original FF8 design:

td4t2.jpg

Once again, I don't see much meaningful difference! FF8 art looks like Dissidia art. FF8 3D looks like Dissidia 3D.

big_z

a lot of japanese games have suffered from the injection of shit that is current anime. seems like everything is simple kid friendly, over the top stupid or designed for perverts/lonely men.

Plump-faced Jill was best Jill.

yup. im surprised how well the gamecube model holds up. imo capcom ruined jill in RE5 the model is ugly and boring. I like HGH chris though stupidly large arms and all.

Also, I really, really dislike the Zelda from Skyward Sword. Tried to make her too cute

i thought she fit her age far better this time around. a lot of japanese games suffer from stuffing kids into adult roles and it comes off feeling stupid. i think nintendo did it right.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Wow.

Some people actually prefer the new DmC Dante design and the new pokemon Gold designs to the old ones?

It really is true that someone, somewhere, is always waiting in the shadows to defend the seemingly indefensible...

Bra-fucking-vo.

Jb

Not sure what happened to Elena's nose from Uncharted 2 to 3. Not really a big deal, but kinda weird.

uncharted-2-persos-2.jpg

Uncharted3Screenshot2.jpg

Zekes!

Wow.

Some people actually prefer the new DmC Dante design and the new pokemon Gold designs to the old ones?

It really is true that someone, somewhere, is always waiting in the shadows to defend the seemingly indefensible...

Bra-fucking-vo.

The old Gold design is garbage. The new one is sleeker, simpler and cleaner.

The only thing that bothers me about Dissidia Squall is that ridiculous leg-cape. Otherwise, he looks pretty identical to the original.

Also, I like Kingdom Hearts Cloud.

rataven

Squall's Dissidia art still looks like him, but it's hideous. Scrawny, head all akimbo. Snotty expression. Blech.

By and large I LOVE the Dissidia designs. But Squall's is bad.

star ocean 2 ps1
renawrjb3.jpg

star ocean 2 psp
star.ocean.the.secondw7klb.jpg

ugh

I dunno, I don't think this one's really that bad. Sure, the update is cutesier, but I think it's more put together. The shading/shadows on the original looks cheesy.

a lot of japanese games have suffered from the injection of shit that is current anime. seems like everything is simple kid friendly, over the top stupid or designed for perverts/lonely men.

I just don't understand why they have to opt for the worst qualities of anime. Nothing will replace those classic Castlevania paintings, but it could have still gone anime-style and looked great. Instead they gave us that awfulness. Like you said, they really need to realize that their audience doesn't solely consist of Naruto worshiping kids and creepy, stunted older men.

nATWn.png

ufRtV.jpg

Poor Jo, they even gave her an American accent :(

At least they made her look better for the HD version of PD

XmsnM.jpg

Not sure what happened to Elena's nose from Uncharted 2 to 3. Not really a big deal, but kinda weird.

uncharted-2-persos-2.jpg

Uncharted3Screenshot2.jpg

For me it was her eyes in UC3, they seem kinda narrow...like she's always squinting.

Zophar

Meryl is awful in MGS4 from what I've seen.

She was more or less normal in MGS. Guess it's a change similar to the RE characters, they were mostly normal in RE1 too.

She actually underwent a significant character change during development that I really didn't agree with:
qOtlH.jpg

They changed her to look a bit more mature and and a better example of a "strong female", which I understand but it was (and still is) harder for me to accept given how familiar and welcome the original design was. It doesn't jive with her cartoony hairdo:
571181-meryl_super.png

Dante is the best example.

I'm starting to warm up to the new Dante honestly. I never thought it was completely horrible and it's not like Dante has ever been anything more than what an emo-kid would think is awesome.

This piece of concept art really won me over (mock PS3 cover)
DMC_X.jpg

Top Bottom