• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

Loxley

That damn New Super Mario Bros. Wii QL is still one of my favorites, mostly because I immensely enjoyed watching Ryan troll Brad the whole time.

Man, that SSX quick look... All of those tricks that just keep going... All of that spinning... THE TRAILING LIGHTS FROM THE HANDS.

Man, the meter kind of just shifted from "want?" to "NEED."

Drakeon

We need Rick "The Ricker" Petersen Quick Looks. Also, Jeff is God tier.

I miss "The Ricker" :( And the train, although it was still the best when it was still a bombcast segment. I remember when they had jeff green read the dsi ware and wii ware games, that was the best thing.

1891079-ryanhands.gif

Welcome to Quick Looks Season Two!

hamchan

I initially thought everyone just hated any additions to the original 4 after Kessler and Alex received so much hate, but Patrick being accepted so quickly (by most people) makes me quite happy.

castlegar

More and more you can start to tell that the crew listened to Idle Thumbs. They seem to accidentally emulate them in a lot of ways now, from what I can tell anyways

FStop7

Banned
Finally caught the SSX QL.

I said DAMN. Looks like they really took the outcry to heart and reshaped it to be exactly what everyone wanted. Day one perch.

I said DAMN. Looks like they really took the outcry to heart and reshaped it to be exactly what everyone wanted. Day one perch.
I can deal with it still not having the crazy tracks, but it makes me sad the characters have been dialed back so much. Granted, my only frame of reference is Tricky, but I'm still sad to see the lack of personality in that department. At least, it's not crucial to the gameplay. Definitely managed to get me interested in the game in a major way, though. QL Mission accomplished.

Sadly, the QL also reminded me of infomercials or something where people are doing things that are awesome looking, but when you actually get the product it's like a kindergartener is doing it... I wish I was that good at snowboarding
games.

I bet this is pretty much the game they were working towards anyway. They just chose to market it in a more "Whoa, dude, watch yourself on this mountain! It's gnarly up here and you're probably gonna die" sort of way when they debuted it to get more broad appeal from the general audience.

The outcry may have reshaped how they're marketing the game, but I seriously doubt the game changed much at all.

I bet this is pretty much the game they were working towards anyway. They just chose to market it in a more "Whoa, dude, watch yourself on this mountain! It's gnarly up here and you're probably gonna die" sort of way when they debuted it to get more broad appeal from the general audience.

The outcry may have reshaped how they're marketing the game, but I seriously doubt the game changed much at all.

The fact that "Deadly Descents" has gone from the name of the game and the main focus to an optional side mode indicates a little more than that.

parasight

Had zero interest in SSX and never played any of the older games. The QL sold me 100% on the game. So much content. It really looks like the most complete and full version possible, of an SSX game.

The fact that "Deadly Descents" has gone from the name of the game and the main focus to an optional side mode indicates a little more than that.
Maybe I'm underestimating the speed at which a developer can overhaul an entire game. ~6 months doesn't seem like enough time to go from the faux-grit of the CG debut trailer to what they have now if the game featured it to the extent that people believed it did.

The choice to drop Deadly Descents from the title is another marketing decision. I'm sure the "autolog" races and trick tracks would have been part of the game along with the Deadly Descents exactly as it is now, but they dropped the focus of the latter due to the backlash.

Gowans

Disappointing thread title, Gowans.

Sorry I was in a hurry, My Kid woke up with a cough.

We can always get a mod to change it.

How about a thread title vote and a Top 10 GAF quick looks so far to go in the op? and maybe other suggestions for the OP, and I can edit now.

Not that it matters too much, the thread is always just for the next new quick look.

Top Bottom