• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 has become a Microtransaction Hell. Will it affect the other live service games from Sony?

Robb

Gold Member
I hope not, but we’ll see.

It’s so sad that these games are inherently designed around mtx. Games should respect your time, not be so cumbersome that you feel you have to pay your way out.

Kilau

It's kind of amazing how many people moved over to Destiny 2 from the first. I put thousands of hours into the first game and dropped it completely once the last content was released. Never touched D2 because it was so clear the way they were heading, though them removing content surprised me I must say. It would be hard to find a developer more antagonistic towards their fans than Bungle, the proverbial fun police. Zero interest in anything they do going forward.

Destiny is such a weird game in that it’s basically free to try and costs money to actually play for real and yet it’s still very much designed like a F2P title. I don’t care about stuff in Fortnite or Apex etc because those are actually free to play.

The writing was on the wall when they had that PlayStation deal in Destiny 1 where you could buy DLC on either platform, but Xbox users would have to wait a year to access pieces of the DLC. None of the content shenanigans they pulled afterwards was a surprise after that.

I put a lot of time into the first one, have played maybe a few hours of 2. Every time buddies try to get me back in I last an hour or so. Outside of the buttery smooth gunplay, idk what keeps people coming back. Must just be the social aspect because everything else outside of the gunplay sucks.

Ben87fr

Haha i stopped playing this shite 3 weeks after it came out, you could see all that shit imediately, tried to play the second one when it was "free" wasted 2 hours and didn't know where to start, fuck bungie

Shubh_C63

It’s free to play, of course it’s flooded with micro transactions.
If you had seen the video it literally what he addressed that it isn't free to play. It's free to try. Massive meat of content is basically hidden behind paywall.

Anyway,
I live and breathe Destiny 2 and I don't have much problem including Witch Queen expansion (neglecting few things).

But overall the 30th anniversary pack and the motherfuckin Dungeon keys with IN GAME coins is so so bad. Basically dungeons costs more than the expansion itself if you didn't bought the annual pass and they are the SHIT you need to play.

And LIGHTFALL is genuinely a bad expansion. All reused content, Witch Queen was amazing. I still don't have much problem with Destiny monetization. I barely feel it for 20$ annual pass for an year content is way too cheap for me.

Last edited:

Quantum253

That's sad. Destiny was an great game that had amazing gameplay. Playing with friends, to get exotics (Gjallarhorn hunting) was fun to chill out and chat.
I dropped out a few months after the initial release of Destiny 2. I think it was when exotics started getting locked behind pay walls. You could see that the great paywall was being built and going towards mobile type practices

Has become? Its been a hellscape of full priced releases, expansions, battlepasses and MTX’s since the activision days.

Sony has nothing to do with that
Sony is not stopping it or asking them to change. Since its making so much Money, Sony will be like we should implement Destiny like monetization in all our upcoming GaaS games? Lol

I suspect that Sonys GAAS initiative won’t have as many FTP games in as people think.

With Destiny you bought the base game, bought the expansions and bought things in game. When you think about Sony making premium single player games and valuing them so highly as to not put them in their PS+ sub for a long time after launch, I suspect they’ll want to build prestige multiplayer projects too.

That isn’t an easy thing to do and it takes a lot of support studios, a long roadmap and as many platforms as possible. Unless Sony are prepared to do what Microsoft did with Sea of Thieves and let it breathe and grow, I suspect there’ll be a lot of causalities studio wise at PlayStation.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Saw Asmongold react to this video. Was very entertaining.

The funny thing is, it's actually working for Bungie. People keep lapping it up thus it'll just keep getting worse.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I suspect that Sonys GAAS initiative won’t have as many FTP games in as people think.

With Destiny you bought the base game, bought the expansions and bought things in game. When you think about Sony making premium single player games and valuing them so highly as to not put them in their PS+ sub for a long time after launch, I suspect they’ll want to build prestige multiplayer projects too.

That isn’t an easy thing to do and it takes a lot of support studios, a long roadmap and as many platforms as possible. Unless Sony are prepared to do what Microsoft did with Sea of Thieves and let it breathe and grow, I suspect there’ll be a lot of causalities studio wise at PlayStation.
So you’ll have $70 games with Destiny 2 MTX? That’s even worse. People aren’t complaining about the game being FTP (it was originally $60), people are complaining about Bungie‘s MTX to support the GaaS. Even a $70 game that‘s GaaS is going to have MTX to fund the on-going development for the game. That $70 you spend is just to recoup the development costs. It’s like when MMOs were bigger and charging a subscription fee.

simpatico

Destiny 2 is a great game but it can only be truly enjoyed if it's your "full time" game. Casual players get left behind. That was one thing I liked about Division 1, but the "full time" player base complained until Division 2 basically did the same thing.

splattered

I've been playing destiny since day one but lately I just can't seem to stick with it anymore... The microtransactions don't even bother me. Don't want them, don't buy them. The game itself just seems so lost and fragmented story-wise I lose interest extremely fast each new season. I'm trying to see this damn story arc through to the end but it's tough. I've only played a couple hours if that of this newest season. The underwater mechanics seemed neat but the game still feels so drawn out and uhhh carrot on a stick? If that makes any sense. bungies next game doesn't even have a traditional story so I'm curious to see how long I will stay engaged with that one.

unlurkified

I’m honestly worried about the sway Bungie will have on Sony’s other devs. TLOU2 mp should have just been the tacked on mode that mp has been in all ND’s other games.

tusharngf

I want bungie to make another halo type game set in a different setting. People want single player experience. Imagine bungie making open world FPS with rpg elements.

So you’ll have $70 games with Destiny 2 MTX? That’s even worse. People aren’t complaining about the game being FTP (it was originally $60), people are complaining about Bungie‘s MTX to support the GaaS. Even a $70 game that‘s GaaS is going to have MTX to fund the on-going development for the game. That $70 you spend is just to recoup the development costs. It’s like when MMOs were bigger and charging a subscription fee.

Sadly I think Sony will want money from every Avenue.

Kilau

This forum does. But the top grossing games year after year are GAAS. Hell there’s a massive court battle going on right now because one publisher is afraid of losing a big GAAS.
Not exactly shocking that the games designed to bleed money out their customers would be the top grossing versus a single player game with no or minimal additional spend.

That point is really for the publishers and what type of game they want to green light.

This forum does. But the top grossing games year after year are GAAS. Hell there’s a massive court battle going on right now because one publisher is afraid of losing a big GAAS.
Even single player games receive years of updates and DLC now.

Videogames are simply too expensive. They need to recoup the 100 hundred+ million dollar budgets.

Destiny is such a weird game in that it’s basically free to try and costs money to actually play for real and yet it’s still very much designed like a F2P title. I don’t care about stuff in Fortnite or Apex etc because those are actually free to play.

The writing was on the wall when they had that PlayStation deal in Destiny 1 where you could buy DLC on either platform, but Xbox users would have to wait a year to access pieces of the DLC. None of the content shenanigans they pulled afterwards was a surprise after that.

I put a lot of time into the first one, have played maybe a few hours of 2. Every time buddies try to get me back in I last an hour or so. Outside of the buttery smooth gunplay, idk what keeps people coming back. Must just be the social aspect because everything else outside of the gunplay sucks.
Not really. The microtransaction economy (and the lack of pvp content drops) are the main things that suck. You can completely ignore the former, as nothing is pay-to-win, and the latter only matters to the die hards like me. Still plenty of casual pve'rs playing.

VAVA Mk2

Bungie are the scum of gaming as far as I'm concerned. I would feel dirty playing this money grab. Such a shame as well because the game is decent, but I will never touch anything Bungie make ever again. I always thought it was Activision to blame, but somehow its gotten WORSE since Bungie went solo.
How Bungie has fallen from grace since about 2010 or 2011...

Not being an ass here, but please can you explain how D2 is free to play?
To my knowledge you have to buy the base game and all expansions if you want to enjoy the content?
Which part is free to play please?
It's partially free to play. Google it and stop being lazy.

Yes it will and things will only get worst with Bungie and Sony imo. People keep supporting predatory games and tactics in games and wonder why the industry is in the state it is in. That’s one of the primary reason live service games get such a bad rep.

Last edited:
Sorry for asking a question mouth breather.
I'm the mouth breather because you don't know how to use the internet? I've been clowned on before but this is taking things to a new low. I'm not going to make a list of what content is still F2p and what isn't when it would take a shorter amount of time to find than it took to write this.

It isn't free to play in meaningful terms. You will not be a functional PVE player with anything interesting to do without buying content. I guess the PVP is sort of F2P but if you're playing Destiny for that, let alone at a huge disadvantage by not having 'pay-to-win' guns, I'm going to be nice here and just say you can find better things to do with your time.

Glad Aztecross's video has gotten so much traction.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Not being an ass here, but please can you explain how D2 is free to play?
To my knowledge you have to buy the base game and all expansions if you want to enjoy the content?
Which part is free to play please?
No ass confirmed….the base game is literally free to download and play. You legitimately do not have to buy or spend any money on what they call the “base game”. Yes the extra content costs money, but the base game according to store fronts and Bungie, is “free to play”

Nydius

Yes the extra content costs money, but the base game according to store fronts and Bungie, is “free to play”

Nothing about the free offering is ”the base game”. It’s a heavily curated version of the game that gives barely a fraction of the content while constantly bombarding the player with ads about buying the premium content. The free offering barely explains anything about the game.

The video explains it in better detail but calling it free to play is a major exaggeration. The free version is a glorified demo.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Nothing about the free offering is ”the base game”. It’s a heavily curated version of the game that gives barely a fraction of the content while constantly bombarding the player with ads about buying the premium content. The free offering barely explains anything about the game.

The video explains it in better detail but calling it free to play is a major exaggeration. The free version is a glorified demo.
Tell that to the people who call it free to play then. I don’t understand the case you are trying to make with me. I’ve gotten several responses over the last week arguing the idea that it’s not free to play. Talk to Bungie and PlayStation if you are concerned about that. Shit is a dumpster fire regardless…but don’t argue the free version is a “glorified demo”, that’s exactly what free to play is. Btw, “Play for Free” and free to play are the exact same thing, regardless of which word is first lol. Three words in abundance all over the first page of the Bungie Destiny 2 official webpage.

Last edited:

Hudo

Destiny was never good. One of the biggest disappointments in gaming for me. The way they marketed the first game and then the first game turned out to be...completely cut down and maybe a fraction of what they promised. Then, Destiny 2, ok they surely have learned their lesson, they got the basics already down with the first game. Surely, SURELY Destiny 2 will be what they promised at the very beginning of this whole bullshit saga. Nope. Instead what we got is a looter-shooter which is now riddled with micro transactions (who would've thought?).

Gotta say though, it softened the blow of Marathon being fucking abused as a goddamn extraction game. Bungie is dead.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Tell that to the people who call it free to play then. I don’t understand the case you are trying to make with me. I’ve gotten several responses over the last week arguing the idea that it’s not free to play. Talk to Bungie and PlayStation if you are concerned about that. Shit is a dumpster fire regardless…but don’t argue the free version is a “glorified demo”, that’s exactly what free to play is. Btw, “Play for Free” and free to play are the exact same thing, regardless of which word is first lol. Three words in abundance all over the first page of the Bungie Destiny 2 official webpage.
Just watch the Video linked in Op. It is not a f2p game.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I'm the mouth breather because you don't know how to use the internet? I've been clowned on before but this is taking things to a new low. I'm not going to make a list of what content is still F2p and what isn't when it would take a shorter amount of time to find than it took to write this.
Yes you are the mouth breather because:
1) My message was to Cash-longfellow.
2) Please direct me to where I ever asked you to provide a list or indeed any other information.

You concerned yourself with my post, so it’s on you.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
No ass confirmed….the base game is literally free to download and play. You legitimately do not have to buy or spend any money on what they call the “base game”. Yes the extra content costs money, but the base game according to store fronts and Bungie, is “free to play”
Thank you bud. 😊👍

vkbest

I know they still have a lot of cinematic experiences and are simply betting on both...but putting so much hope on a single strategy and business model for their Gaas titles won't be that great. It's already backfiring considering they are putting TLOU online on hold due to a Bungie advice, lmao.

The efforts they did to show something from their GAAS in the last playstation experience instead other games probably much more advanced in developing, means they doesn't trust in their strategy and trying to create some artificial hype.

Jinjo

The eververse shop stuff is whatever, I've gone years without buying stuff from there until recently I decided to spend a little for a game I play so much.

The biggest offender here is clearly the DLC offerings and the dungeon key stuff. They need to include the older DLC's into one legacy bundle as soon as the new one hits. Also get rid of the Forsaken and 30th anniversary stuff and make it free, you got your money there Bungie. Paying for weapons and armor is wild. I get why they do the dungeon passes as a silver purchase: it has to do with crossplay access, if they make it tied to the platform store they can't make it cross-buy across platforms which as a multiplat player myself is so nice. It is however really overpriced for its offering when sold seperately and should just be included in the DLC purchase.

Season pass silver increase is greedy af, the pricehike was clearly designed to make you spend even more. An appropriately priced emote bundle or something would clearly be the solution here. 1200 silver + an emote for 12 dollar / euro.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Considering Sony's GaaS and MP plans, that's the goal. Which is super unfortunate.
There's far better ways of doing live service. Look at Warframe (or the other examples listed in the video) for instance.

Destiny's always been a mess monetization and content wise so I'd be very surprised if Sony's next GaaS titles will follow a similar route.

Sad to see this happen. Destiny was so much fun and I played the fucking shit out of it between 2014-2018 before they ruined it with Forsaken and tried hard to appease the people who wanted to grind their life away and treat it like a second job. I don't have the time or energy for it anymore. I've tried to get back into it. Stupid me bought some expansions but couldn't go back. I've totally gave up on it because the game seems an absolute fucking mess now.

Even if they came out with Destiny 3 i don't think i'd go back. Hopefully Marathon isn't a disaster.

Last edited:

Mithos

Season pass silver increase is greedy af, the pricehike was clearly designed to make you spend even more. An appropriately priced emote bundle or something would clearly be the solution here. 1200 silver + an emote for 12 dollar / euro.

Agreed, not being able to buy the exact amount of silver you need for an item is greedy and shady af.
NO the season pass is not "us$12 or €12" because you can't BUY that amount of silver, us$15 or €15 is the lowest amount of silver you can buy.

Top Bottom