• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABC: Nintendo releasing "2 Dees". Plays same games as "3 Dees". Cuts price of "Wii"

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is not JUST Nintendo's fault. No. There's stupidity in this too.

It's called DO THE RESEARCH.

GulAtiCa

Except for the Wii / Wii U confusion, the 3Dddds and 2Dddds issue is clearly on the media... The name "DS" and how it's pronounced, isn't new.

Stet

Banned
"Now, Billy, money's a little tight this year so we can't afford those extra dees. I'm sorry, but you'll have to make do with the two dees. They play the same games as the three dees but in less dees. But look on the bright side, it has one more screen on it than your Wii gamepad we got you last year!"

MechaX

So it's not just kids who thinks the 2DS is weaker because of the name...

The thing will still sell, but I was arguing in the other topic that going backwards in numbering in any product is never a good idea, especially since the default that the public goes to is "higher number = stronger & better, lower number = weaker."

But that said, everything was on the reporting (or lack there of) in this case.

People are taking Yahoo news seriously?

Washington Post and CNN got it right so I think the mainstream media understands.

To be fair, I was mistaken. Yahoo is hosting it but it's an ABC News story.

Maybe a mod can also change the title to: ABC: Nintendo releasing "2 Dees". Plays same games as "3 Dees". Cuts price of "Wii."

Wii Who?

"2 Dees" is just funny. More confusion over the Wii and Wii U is an actual problem. Nintendo is has done an absolutely abysmal job communicating what the Wii U is to the general public.

Guevara

220px-Deandra_Reynolds.png
220px-Deandra_Reynolds.png

"Now, Billy, money's a little tight this year so we can't afford those extra dees. I'm sorry, but you'll have to make do with the two dees. They play the same games as the three dees but in less dees. But look on the bright side, it has one more screen on it than your Wii gamepad we got you last year!"

*dead*

nampad

Perfectly timed with the last Reggie interview ;)
You can win a Wii U quite often in german TV, they always call it Wii though.

Nope, I can't really blame Nintendo for this one. The 2DS name might confuse consumers, but calling these systems 3Dees and 2Dees is beyond confusing and flat out ignorant. Basicaly, they're reporting passing along inacurate information. They're calling the Wii U a Wii. I can understand consumers making that mistake, but the media? WTF?

Btw, at first I thought it was some kind of joke article, but I stil can't believe something like this was allowed to go live on the Internet. Next thing they'll tell us, Nintendo works for MS.

Somnid

Nintendo had a press release, they could have read directly off of it if they can't be arsed to do anything at all, I don't see the problem. Although if you're going to run a news outlet even if they delivered information as a cryptic puzzle it's your goddam job figure it out and report it accurately.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Regardless of Nintendo's own brand confusion, it's equally true that when it comes to reporting on technology western television will forever be trapped in 1993.

It could be the 22nd century and they'd still be exactly like 1993. It's a cosmic law.

Dees ees terrribull!

No, but really I fault the news people for not getting it right, and not caring enough to get it right but at the same time you have to think Nintendo failed getting their message out about the Wii U. And now the 2DS, which is a really weird release for them. If Nintendo wanted to make a cheap alternative to the 3DS you have to wonder if there was a better way to go about it.

Kurdel

Banned
"Plees understand".

Nintendo has a serious communication issue, because they are usually awesome with their branding.

mrWalrus

Banned
Seeing how awful the media reporting on something like this is only makes me wonder how awful they are at getting the facts straight on other news stories..

kitsuneyo

When I see things like this on the news it makes me wonder which other, important details they get completely wrong. Stuff I know less about.

Top Bottom