• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dr. wily prepares for mega man 11: a warioware d.i.y. mini game story

jarosh

i just logged in again and uploaded two new games!

it's a fucking hassle to do it here at home, holy shit.

i think you should be able to download the (new) games now, oracrest!

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
jarosh said:
Just got 'em. Awesome work as before, but cripes are these games tough. The UFO catcher game definitely requires precision. There were a couple of times when the "prize" slipped right through the claws. Just like the real game I suppose. The spike game really demands quick reflexes, too.

Fun stuff. Like I said before, it's not often when a microgame proves to be genuinely challenging.

oracrest

jarosh said:

it's a fucking hassle to do it here at home, holy shit.

i think you should be able to download the (new) games now, oracrest!

Awesome, I got the Claw, and "Test the Spike Pit" lol :D

Can someone seed the first two games to me? I have put Claw and Spike Pit up on my crate, so I can seed those two for you, Jarosh.

my code:

0775 9296 5587

Teppic

Can people send games they have received? I would really appreciate it If someone who have both the DS and Wii versions could send them over the Wii version to me.

Slermy

Just got back from the store with my copy of Wario Ware.

If you still have space, I've added you Jarosh. My code is 3782 4192 3021

So how many games have I missed?

Really looking forward to trying these out!

Whimsical Phil

In case anyone missed jarosh's first two games (Wily shops and Fueling up) when he made them available, I was able to upload them to the "Storage Crates" in my copy of the game.

If you would still like to download these games, PM me your Friend Code, and I'll add you to my list. My Friend Code is 2107 1065 8037.

Earlier in this thread, jarosh said that he didn't mind if we shared the games, so all is good on that front.

oracrest

Thanks Slermy and Whimsical Phil for passing some of these back and forth.

I have all 4 that Jarosh has put up.

4 more to go? I am looking forward to the boss door jump game. I always did made little games for myself with the boss doors in Mega Man, including jumping to the highest point at the door (before you hit your head on the ceiling), and also sometimes trying to land just above the ground, at the lowest point on the door. :lol

Slermy

I'm with you, really looking forward to the door jumping one. I too have all 4 now thanks to oracrest and Whimsical Phil.

These games are great!

jarosh

that took forever, i'm sorry. i can't even connect to nintendo's wfc from at home anymore, my new router doesn't support wep :/

so i just uploaded 2 new games from work: door jumping and disappearing blocks

jarosh

post your friend code and add me. i will add you the next time i upload more (teleporter, eyebrow trim, revenge). so you can at least get the remaining ones for sure.

Jarosh, I really think you should just get into indie game development. I'm doing indie games and if you can seriously pour 100 hours into a little project like this, why stop there? The number 1 biggest thing about making games on your own time is commitment. Most people who try just burn out fast when their dream requires hard work.

Even if you just make tiny games, pouring big hours into it is the key to success!

Slermy

Slermy said:
Just got back from the store with my copy of Wario Ware.

If you still have space, I've added you Jarosh. My code is 3782 4192 3021

So how many games have I missed?

Really looking forward to trying these out!

Here it is again. Added you already. Thanks!

jarosh

Slermy said:
Here it is again. Added you already. Thanks!
ouch. i'm terribly sorry. how could i have missed that! my bad. will add you asap.

JasoNsider said:
Jarosh, I really think you should just get into indie game development. I'm doing indie games and if you can seriously pour 100 hours into a little project like this, why stop there? The number 1 biggest thing about making games on your own time is commitment. Most people who try just burn out fast when their dream requires hard work.

Even if you just make tiny games, pouring big hours into it is the key to success!
i've considered it, like so many other things :/

i get passionate and borderline obsessive quickly when i find something i care a great deal about or when i have a "vision", if you can call it that. which is definitely a big plus in a lot of ways... but it can and often does lead to a lot of frustrating experiences as well.

i am still primarily interested in music and graphic design. but i have so many interests and passions and i always work on like 10 projects at once... i often wish i could settle on just ONE path and follow it all the way through.

oracrest

jarosh said:

Sweet, gonna grab them tonight. They were my two favorites on the video, right up there with Spike Pit.

Slermy, I can put these two up on my storage if you don't get them.

Whimsical Phil

jarosh said:
that took forever, i'm sorry. i can't even connect to nintendo's wfc from at home anymore, my new router doesn't support wep :/

Thanks again for taking the time to host each of these, jarosh.

I'm still hosting the first two games that jarosh uploaded (Wily Shops and Fueling Up) on my DS if anybody still needs them. Just drop me a PM.

jarosh said:
i've considered it, like so many other things :/

i get passionate and borderline obsessive quickly when i find something i care a great deal about or when i have a "vision", if you can call it that. which is definitely a big plus in a lot of ways... but it can and often does lead to a lot of frustrating experiences as well.

i am still primarily interested in music and graphic design. but i have so many interests and passions and i always work on like 10 projects at once... i often wish i could settle on just ONE path and follow it all the way through.

There are avenues for indie game dev that would suit even your flip-floppy nature. If you find yourself pouring 100 hours into side deviations like this, that could easily be poured into a similar indie game, even if it's just a tiny project game-wise. Get a good tool and start making games in general. Again, the biggest prob is people flaking out. It's like those who play tons of Guitar Hero to the point that they've mastered it - you've shown you love the concept, you're pouring in time, so drop the plastic guitar and grab a real one.

Slermy

oracrest said:
Sweet, gonna grab them tonight. They were my two favorites on the video, right up there with Spike Pit.

Slermy, I can put these two up on my storage if you don't get them.

Sweet, much appreciated.

oracrest

JasoNsider said:
There are avenues for indie game dev that would suit even your flip-floppy nature. If you find yourself pouring 100 hours into side deviations like this, that could easily be poured into a similar indie game, even if it's just a tiny project game-wise. Get a good tool and start making games in general. Again, the biggest prob is people flaking out. It's like those who play tons of Guitar Hero to the point that they've mastered it - you've shown you love the concept, you're pouring in time, so drop the plastic guitar and grab a real one.

Yeah Jarosh, you could consider what you could do for a simple (or not so simple!) Iphone game. Canabalt is pretty classic for the system, and had a big influence on a lot of other titles, and I think that one was made in a weekend, for a short term design contest.

oracrest said:
Yeah Jarosh, you could consider what you could do for a simple (or not so simple!) Iphone game. Canabalt is pretty classic for the system, and had a big influence on a lot of other titles, and I think that one was made in a weekend, for a short term design contest.

I wouldn't use Canabalt as an example, but more along the lines of a game-in-a-box package out there that you could use. If you just like making assets and that sort of thing, just get GameMaker or something like that and make a little game and do all the assets for it.

I'm a programmer and don't really use those game-in-a-box programs, but for people who just want to screw around and making cool worlds/assets as artists, this is a great route!

oracrest

Awesome, I got the two new ones, thanks Jarosh!

Slermy, I put them up in my crates, so you should be able to get them there if you can't get them fro Jarosh.

Slermy

oracrest said:
Awesome, I got the two new ones, thanks Jarosh!

Slermy, I put them up in my crates, so you should be able to get them there if you can't get them fro Jarosh.

Got them, thanks again.

I think these two are my favorite thus far.

oracrest

Hey Jarosh, I am really pining for the complete set :D

wily.png

jarosh

i'm awful, i'm sorry!

i just uploaded the teleport and the eyebrow trim one.

now there's only the revenge one left. and it's honestly not very remarkable.

Whimsical Phil

jarosh said:
i'm awful, i'm sorry!

i just uploaded the teleport and the eyebrow trim one.

now there's only the revenge one left. and it's honestly not very remarkable.
Just grabbed them. Thanks again for uploading these.

Slermy

As will I!

Thanks again for sharing these Jarosh. Hopefully soon I can offer up my own Mega Man themed mini-games as a proper thanks.

oracrest

Slermy said:
As will I!

Thanks again for sharing these Jarosh. Hopefully soon I can offer up my own Mega Man themed mini-games as a proper thanks.

You should, they are quite fun. I grabbed the two new ones that were up on your cart too.

Slermy

So I think I'm finally ready to show these:

Having been inspired by these great mini-games by Jarosh, I went ahead and created my own set of Mega Man themed Mini-games.

Video here

It consists of four games and tells the story of one Met/Metool/Metall:

Part 1: Met-o-matic
The Met is born.

Part 2: Metool March
The Met searches for resources.

Part 3: Met Maneuver
The Met encounters Mega Man for the first time.

Part 4: Metool Duel
The Met takes a stand.

My apologies for the poor video quality and lack of pictures. It's hard to capture DS footage with a point and shoot. :(

So thank you Jarosh for your awesome mini-games, and a special thanks to Oracrest, Whimsical Phil and my friends for their much helpful feedback.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Jarosh, but as a lowly Junior Member, I cannot create threads.

Slermy

Hey Jarosh, I have a question. Did you recreate the music for your games by ear? Or is there another method for recreating the faithful tunes that you can suggest?

jarosh

Slermy said:
Hey Jarosh, I have a question. Did you recreate the music for your games by ear? Or is there another method for recreating the faithful tunes that you can suggest?
i do it by ear. it helps doing it that way, as i'd usually add additional melodies/harmonies in the same key and often i'd have to shorten or compress the bass progression so it would stay recognisible, since you get so few bars to work with, and then i'd usually have to rework the melodies somewhat too.

i like your games btw, especially the second one.

Slermy

jarosh said:
i do it by ear. it helps doing it that way, as i'd usually add additional melodies/harmonies in the same key and often i'd have to shorten or compress the bass progression so it would stay recognisible, since you get so few bars to work with, and then i'd usually have to rework the melodies somewhat too.

i like your games btw, especially the second one.

Thanks for that info. Your stuff sounds very spot on, so I was hoping there was an easier way. I'll try harder I guess.

I'm glad you liked my games, I can put up the second two if you want them.

Thanks for the kind words Kulock!

leroidys

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have had DIY in my backlog for years, and would love to grab OP's games before NWFC is taken offline forever. How would I go about downloading them?

JesseZao

Miss this game. Was fun trying the new themes each month and submitting your own. Wish there was a database you could store them on forever. Does the shutdown affect the Wii version as well?

Top Bottom