• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dr. wily prepares for mega man 11: a warioware d.i.y. mini game story

jarosh

RockmanWhore said:
The only game I don't like that much is the shopping one, it seems too confusing for its own good, less items to buy would be better I think. But the rest is awesome. Good job.
hah. that's my favorite one. it only looks confusing at the beginning though. i agree it's a bit complicated, but only because you really have to know which sprites are from mega man and spot them right away.

it actually used to be even worse: initially there was no indication of whether you had gotten all the correct items in one column and you had to move wily forward with an arrow whenever you thought you were ready. and then you'd only know at the checkout if you really bought ALL the mega man items. it was almost impossible. and there was barely enough time to tap ALL the items AND tap an arrow each time you'd want to move. i had my wife and my brother try it at that stage and they were completely overwhelmed by it. haha. so i changed it to this new more streamlined format where everything is automated except the item tapping.

it's definitely a bit more complex than the rest of the games and yes, it can look a bit confusing at first. but you play it a few times and it becomes second nature. that's often the case with the more bizarre warioware mini games anyway.

thefro

Awesome, I would have put in the Mega Man 9 shop theme instead of the Wii Shop Channel theme for the shopping game, but everything else is pretty much perfect.

The Mega Man 2 Wily Map screen remix is badass.

jarosh

i've gotten a few requests to share these games with other people. and you know, i'd LOVE to! i'd love for everyone to actually play the games i spent so much time on. but i don't think there is an easy way to grant a huge group of people access, right? i can only send them one by one to individual people and i have to have their friend codes, correct? or is there something i'm missing? some other way this could be achieved?

shaowebb

jarosh said:
i spent way too much time working on these mini games over the last ~3 months and now i finally made a video of all of them and i figured i'd post it here.

the initial idea was to create mini games that would show all the things wily does "in between" the mega man games. i put over 100 hours into this. i can't even quite believe it myself. i'm hopelessly obsessive about things that fascinate me, especially when i find that i can combine them with something else that i love (mega man).

there's a bit more info and some trivia about the games in the description of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSkBOcBTXfg

(make sure to watch the 480p version in the bigger/expanded player, the 360p one is very low quality and full of nasty compression artifacts)

I fucking died laughing when I saw the jump through the boss door mini-game come up. Brilliant. Also, Hell yeah Dr. Wily/Cutman eyebrow trimmer.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SiegfriedFM said:
I haven't followed this game, can you make your own sprites and sound and everything? That's pretty awesome.
Yup, everything. Its an incredibly impressive little program.

Also....holy shit OP.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The first couple were nice but the door jumping was awesome. I really need to pick up D.I.Y.

EDIT: Just noticed "Wily*Mart"" :lol

well that was worth watching. nice job man.

edit: uhh no wait, i'm more impressed than that :D i meant VERY much worth watching, awesome stuff.

Enk

makes good threads.
Very awesome jarosh! Didn't realize that WW DIY was so versatile. This is really tempting me into wanting to make a widescreen 8bit Mega Man game I've been mulling around in my head for quite some time...

jarosh

Enk said:
Very awesome jarosh! Didn't realize that WW DIY was so versatile. This is really tempting me into wanting to make a widescreen 8bit Mega Man game I've been mulling around in my head for quite some time...
it is surprisingly versatile, yes. of course you have to be aware of its limitations as well. i mean, we ARE talking about games here that are either 4 or 8 seconds long. if you do intend to check it out: load some of the mini games that come with it into the game maker and mess with them. it's neat to see all the tricks the nintendo designers used to make some of the crazier ideas work, plus you also learn a lot that way.

Very cool and creative. I never played all that much megaman myself, but stuff like the jump into the door is still swimming in my brain, waiting for me to see something that makes me all nostalgic.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
jarosh said:
i've gotten a few requests to share these games with other people. and you know, i'd LOVE to! i'd love for everyone to actually play the games i spent so much on. but i don't think there is an easy way to grant a huge group of people access, right? i can only send them one by one to individual people and i have to have their friend codes, correct? or is there something i'm missing? some other way this could be achieved?
From what I'm gathering from the game's manual, you do need to swap Friend Codes in order to trade games.

However, it doesn't look like you need to send each microgame to each friend individually. From the sound of things, you simply upload your games into your personal "crate." Then your friends can download your games at their leisure (assuming, of course, that you have swapped Friend Codes). You wouldn't even have to be online for other people to download your games.

The thing I'm wondering is if you can then do some sort of pyramid-style distribution from there. For instance, if I download jarosh's games, can I then upload his games to my crate and allow even more people to download them? Gut instinct says that this wouldn't be the case, but I don't know for sure.

If you're willing to attempt this with me, jarosh, just drop me a PM.

My Friend Code for the game is: 2107 - 1065 - 8037

jarosh

Whimsical Phil said:
From what I'm gathering from the game's manual, you do need to swap Friend Codes in order to trade games.

However, it doesn't look like you need to send each microgame to each friend individually. From the sound of things, you simply upload your games into your personal "crate." Then your friends can download your games at their leisure (assuming, of course, that you have swapped Friend Codes). You wouldn't even have to be online for other people to download your games.

The thing I'm wondering is if you can then do some sort of pyramid-style distribution from there. For instance, if I download jarosh's games, can I then upload his games to my crate and allow even more people to download them? Gut instinct says that this wouldn't be the case, but I don't know for sure.

If you're willing to attempt this with me, jarosh, just drop me a PM.

My Friend Code for the game is: 2107 - 1065 - 8037
alright. i will upload my games and then add a few people so they can download them. however, i'm gonna restrict that to 20 people max. i'm getting requests on youtube as well. but i'll focus on gaf for now.

so, again:

- i'll add the first 20 people who post their friend code in this thread for now (and they are free to share the games with others, if that does indeed work)
- don't send me a pm, post your friend code in this thread, it's much easier to follow here

now, i'm not saying that no one can send me a pm about anything, if they have different requests or questions or whatever. just not for the friend codes. i doubt there's enough people interested here who also own the game to even reach 20 friend codes though :p

also: i won't be able to do this until later tonight. i have to change the security settings on my router in order to connect my ds. and i'd like to do this only once or twice as it will disconnect several computers on my network which can't connect to the router with wep enabled.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And now I have to play WW DIY again.

This was AWESOME jarosh. Simply amazing.

Nessus

I'm actually really impressed with the video quality recording off of a DS screen.

The audio's easy to get a direct line in, but I've never seen someone get such a great image off of a DS screen before (other than devs with access to the development kit).

jarosh

Nessus said:
I'm actually really impressed with the video quality recording off of a DS screen.

The audio's easy to get a direct line in, but I've never seen someone get such a great image off of a DS screen before (other than devs with access to the development kit).
recorded with an iphone 4. the quality off the phone itself was like 100 times better though and a lot sharper. the file rendered by my editing software was just so blurry no matter what i tried. and i also had to downscale it after the fact. i had an hd version, but it was actually making the video look worse after the upload: youtube still defaults to the expanded player (which is actually only the size of a 480p video) when playing back a 720p feed, and that on-the-fly downscaling from 720p to 480p resulted in a nasty moiré pattern: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

so i downscaled the video ever so slightly with handbrake before uploading it, just enough so youtube wouldn't create a 720p version.

here's a few screen caps from the original unedited video directly off the iphone:

mmw1.jpg

mmw2.jpg

mmw3.jpg

mmw4.jpg

mmw5.jpg

i wish the youtube video actually looked like this!

stuminus3

Banned
This is fantastic! jarosh, your efforts may just have helped Nintendo sell one more copy of WarioWare DIY. :lol

oracrest

I would love to have these transferred over to my system. I will post my friends code when I get home, and hopefully you will be able to send it out. :D

jarosh

i will wait until sunday before i add everyone's friend code. right now there aren't enough people and i can't disconnect the net here atm anyway in order to change my router's settings. it's really fucking stupid that nintendo decided to fo with wep exclusively :/

JKTrix

Holy crap, this is amazing. I just started messing around with this game again a couple of days ago and now I'm completely discouraged :lol

Top Bottom