• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

emb

That letter makes me wonder if we're getting more Iwata Asks on this game. I'd really like to read some more about it.

My main weapon, which is a 260 value Cursed Palm, has that -2 shot defense. It's got some strong abilities, but prepare to get lit up like a mofo. :C That in-peril autododge is pretty sweet though, and those strength stats are pretty darn high. By the by, does anyone know what the "shaking" effect does?

I assume that shaking the thing where you have to wiggle the stick/mash buttons to get out of a metroid and stuff like that.

Soul Beat

I finally had a chance to try out the multiplayer. It's awesome. I can't stop playing it.

Makes me wish I had internet at the new house.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My main weapon, which is a 260 value Cursed Palm, has that -2 shot defense. It's got some strong abilities, but prepare to get lit up like a mofo. :C That in-peril autododge is pretty sweet though, and those strength stats are pretty darn high. By the by, does anyone know what the "shaking" effect does?

Makes your recitcle go haywire

Tuck

This game isn't for kids. It has mild suggestive themes.

Despite the violence, constant talk of murder and chaos and the fact that
the goddess of nature sets off what might as well be a fucking nuclear bomb on top of two warring armies, instantly killing nearly every human there
, the game is rated E10+, so kids will definitely play it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
the goddess of nature sets off what might as well be a fucking nuclear bomb on top of two warring armies, instantly killing nearly every human there

I literally said HOLY FUCKING SHIT out loud at that part

kunonabi

played through the first 2 stages and some multiplayer. Amazing game so far and I hope the sales are reflecting that. It's almost daunting how much content is in it and I love everything else about it. Still getting used to the controls but nothing that won't get ironed out with some more game time.

This game wasn't very high on my gaming list, but with all the good vibes it's been getting, I picked it up today.

I have to say, I'm really pleasantly surprised. The controls are a little awkward, but the "arcade-y" feel of it, along with the fun dialogue make it an absolute blast to play.

I picked up Revelations, as well, and from playing both of them, I can say that I'm really excited to see the kind of stuff the 3DS pushes later in its life-cycle. Some of the earlier games felt/looked like upgraded DS "ports," so in a way, these two games in particular have ushered in that next-gen feel of the system for me.

The flight portion of the second level, in particular, had me "oooh"ing a bunch. Really gorgeous.

I'm disappointed the spoiler text wasn't about
Palutena's stockings

Alex

Sakurai wrote it? Good on him, it's not flip out crazy or anything but it has a fun character dynamic on par with some of the better character driven games.

What makes it amusing is didn't they got out of their way to get that hack Nojima to write something for Smash Bros Wii? That must have been a nice waste of cash.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I work at Target and the Nintendo rep came in today. He said that Kid Icarus has been selling like crazy and that Nintendo is really happy with it (our store was completely sold out btw).

For those interested, he also said that several people within Nintendo are preparing for a re-reveal of the Wii U, saying that the name will almost definitely change. I don't know how much information this guy knows but I found him to be pretty fun to talk to.

We have two locations at Target for it, including one on an endcap where we feature it. Parents are coming in saying how their 10 and 9 year old children are begging for it. We had quite a big shipment.

I really hope this is true and the same for other regions / places. This game deserves to be the next great Nintendo franchise.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Does anyone else play with the stand? I can play without it, but the stand makes things just right.

I use the stand and found it quite useful and far more comfortable for the hour long sessions I go through at a time, but I turned 3D off as it wasn't helping the game any more me.

Soul Beat

I haven't even tried to play with the stand. Honestly, I kinda forgot about it. I'll definitely give it a try now that you've reminded me.

Edit-I'm quite pleased to know that the game is selling well. I hope this brings more KI games in the future.

I think the stand is good, but it's kind of a hassle if you don't have a good desk or table with some space to put it on. I used one of those big cardboard envelopes to set mine on my bed once and that was the last time I used it. I just lay down, rest the system on my stomach, and put my right pinky behind the system so I don't push it back too much.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game is so effing good. The story's so nice too, and even if some of the lines are cheesy, they're quite endearing and cute. :3 I think Chapter 5 is when I really fell in love with this because it showed Sakurai just put whatever he wanted in this (and the music was awesome). This game is also
longer than I had imagined... I thought it was going to be done by Chapter 9. I dunno how far I have to go since I'm on Chapter 11 so far, but man, I didn't think it was going to be longer than 9 chapters.

Game is packed with content. I honestly think 3DS found the game that it can use to show how well the 3D works, how the stylus works, how the circle pad works, etc. Also, the game design so far has been amazing. I truly feel like I've gotten bang for my buck, and even more than that. It takes a little getting used to for lefty-players, but I'm glad they included a few alternate control options to accomodate people. I'm glad I didn't have to skip over this game over something like that.

Sakurai... *bow*

Neiteio

This game is so effing good. The story's so nice too, and even if some of the lines are cheesy, they're quite endearing and cute. :3 I think Chapter 5 is when I really fell in love with this because it showed Sakurai just put whatever he wanted in this (and the music was awesome). This game is also
longer than I had imagined... I thought it was going to be done by Chapter 9. I dunno how far I have to go since I'm on Chapter 11 so far, but man, I didn't think it was going to be longer than 9 chapters.

Game is packed with content. I honestly think 3DS found the game that it can use to show how well the 3D works, how the stylus works, how the circle pad works, etc. Also, the game design so far has been amazing. I truly feel like I've gotten bang for my buck, and even more than that. It takes a little getting used to for lefty-players, but I'm glad they included a few alternate control options to accomodate people. I'm glad I didn't have to skip over this game over something like that.

Sakurai... *bow*
HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh man, you have a WAYS to go. :) :)

SmithnCo

It's a little odd that
Viridi doesn't really get punished for that and they're all pals at the end even though she's a psychopath that decimated an entire city, lol.

jgkspsx

Just started this and played the first chapter. But I can't get over how good it looks. RE:R was very impressive, but this is twice as eyepopping. Maybe it's the colors.

Tom_Cody

I am enjoying my Pudgy Palms so far. I have tried out other Palms but none seem to have the balance that I enjoy with my current weapon.

Is there a detailed weapon comparison guide anywhere yet? I think Palms are the weapon for me right now but I'm curious to see how the 11 other Palms compare the the Pudgy Palms. It is a bit difficult to judge the differences between them in practice mode alone, especially with star variations, etc.

why does palutena wear only one stocking

The very exclusive Hot 3DS Ladies With Left Leg Covered Club

DtLNW.png

W2qcM.jpg

Just started this and played the first chapter. But I can't get over how good it looks. RE:R was very impressive, but this is twice as eyepopping. Maybe it's the colors.

Just wait untill you get further it gets better.

Also seen people posting that it costed them hearts to fuse weapons? I havnt spent a single heart fusing weapons. Am I missing something?

Just wait untill you get further it gets better.

Also seen people posting that it costed them hearts to fuse weapons? I havnt spent a single heart fusing weapons. Am I missing something?

Streetpass/Spotpass gems cost to fuse. It costs to get anything tangible out of the Streetpass system in this game, it's like a second store.

Neiteio

It's a little odd that
Viridi doesn't really get punished for that and they're all pals at the end even though she's a psychopath that decimated an entire city, lol.
Well,
Pit and Palutena reign victorious at the end, so I don't think she'll try anything funny... for awhile. And while they don't approve of her actions, maybe they at least understand where she was coming from, acting out of Nature's "self-defense." For the record, though, I don't condone dropping Reset Bombs on cities!

I'm usually going with Palms and Claws right now (*sniff Faerie Orbiters) , but I was wondering if anyone is having positive experiences with Staffs or Bows.

I haven't tried Staffs very much and I can't seem to do well with Bows at all.

totowhoa

Banned
Really having trouble getting into this game. Played through chapter 5, or maybe that's the one I'm on now. Game is okay... I just really am not a big fan of the controls. With the all the action and whatnot I kind of wish the game was on a much larger screen as well. Hopefully it'll grab me soon, because I really haven't been playing my 3DS much at all :/

Darryl

Banned
i added most of the people to my friends list, just don't understand how to play with anyone

Really having trouble getting into this game. Played through chapter 5, or maybe that's the one I'm on now. Game is okay... I just really am not a big fan of the controls. With the all the action and whatnot I kind of wish the game was on a much larger screen as well. Hopefully it'll grab me soon, because I really haven't been playing my 3DS much at all :/

the game has two different problems with the controls: holding it, and aiming the reticle. which one is bothering you?

holding it can be fixed by using the stand or re-mapping controls. aiming can be fixed by practice or adjusting the reticle options. although if you're having a problem with both, it can take a bit to get used to. i would suggest finding a comfortable place to practice if that's the case, and it'll get easier to play the moment the controls click.

I feel like the record just scratched to a stop and everyone is looking at Sklorenz.

KenOD

I'm usually going with Palms and Claws right now (*sniff Faerie Orbiters) , but I was wondering if anyone is having positive experiences with Staffs or Bows.

As long as you have the right level for range, staffs are great. Especially when you remember you can snipe.

I haven't had much luck with Bows in single player, but in multiplayer it's been great to get a good weapon (usually Angel Bow) because I can do a melee attack with a high attack level and good combo bonus all without ever knocking an opponent back or down. Just keep juggling plus a decent modifier item and it's gold for 1 on 1.

daffy

Banned
I feel like the record just scratched to a stop and everyone is looking at Sklorenz.

Didn't say anything unusual.. The controls are a hassle and the small screen is largely the cause of it. When hype dies down it'll be easier to talk about it. But as of now, I can't even mention it without someone detracting.

KenOD

I see nothing wrong with bringing up the issue of controls or the size of the 3DS screen. It's a legitimate issue and I'm sure I wouldn't be as invested in the game either had I not figured out how to acclimate myself to stylus use.
Plus with how many times it's brought up, a XL version of the system is clearly wanted and I can see how it would be useful here.

For right now there just isn't much to say to it other than suggeting he go to Options - Reticle/Camera and/or control configuration and messing around with until he can hopefully find something to help him out.

Hmmmmm... Yes, No?

I would take it, but then I love pirate hats.
--------------------------

So I never got an answer the first time around or missed in all the pages since, but is there any point to making the cards fight each other?

Korosenai

Is there a website yet that has found out all of the rewards for palutenas treasure hunt? Im trying to figure out what to use my feathers on.

Darryl

Banned
i couldn't find any use for the cards to battle besides being pretty fun. i battled all of my cards and pit took the victory, with the final 3 champions being between pit, magnus, and palutena. how surprising.

KenOD

That's what I thought, oh well. Shame, bit of gambling of hearts and I could see the game being that much more addicting.

salpa

Banned

I like bows. I had a Fortune Bow. It shot little heart arrows. Melee attacks are silly but ranged attacks are awesome.

branny

he deserves a girlfriend in the next game poor guy :(
La la la can't hear you he's
married to Magnus. Sorry! No divorces allowed. Nope. >:|

It's not even Nintendo, it's like...Pixar. Seriously. These characters are super awesome.
I completely agree. This is one of the things that makes the game seem very un-Nintendo. The script, voice acting, pacing of delivery, and characters themselves feel like they're from some other medium altogether. There's an air of confidence about the whole production, a very polished vision.

Well,
Pit and Palutena reign victorious at the end, so I don't think she'll try anything funny... for awhile. And while they don't approve of her actions, maybe they at least understand where she was coming from, acting out of Nature's "self-defense." For the record, though, I don't condone dropping Reset Bombs on cities!
It's a little odd that
They're gods.

*shrug*
I loved this about the story. The sense of
warring deities is pulled off so well. It's one of my favorite things about this kind of mythology (political strife), and I always love seeing when it's adequately represented. Uprising portrays everything in good fun, making it even more endearing when sudden, reluctant alliances are formed with every new plot twist, for example. The game's universe is just so playful that you're always excited to see what happens next, especially when it's already so much fun to spend your time with all these crazy personalities.

SmithnCo

I'm hoping that the card battles are the future of the Pokemon TCG. Nintendo would have all of my money if they did something like this.

Definitely. I have no desire to play the actual card game but if they integrated it like this they'd be way more fun to collect.

Jetku

Which set of claws should I choose and why? I have no clue what the differences in these base claws are..plus the stats and stars vary...

yGNDO.jpg
y5Ptb.jpg
Hj4VR.jpg

Top Bottom