• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward Bailout Watch

Macmanus

Pandoracell said:
Alright, i'll ignore all of the other problems the game has and agree that the graphics can be decent.

I know it's in vogue to bash CoD. Has been for a while. But the reality is you don't sell a bajillion units of a title unless it's fun to a lot of people.

You personally are capable of making a laundry list of features you felt self entitled to? Rad! Clearly millions upon millions of people don't care about what you think.

So why don't you just lay off the thread derailment for a moment and bask in the schadenfreude-like euphoria that the rest of us are feeling as we watch Activision try and flounder out of this mess.

pulga

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
So in this thread people are getting excited because employees might leave one company to join another? Is that where we are as a forum now?

Why the fuck would we want to keep such a talented bunch in a shell of a developer under a prick CEO?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just finished...

29lfiia.gif

LeMaximilian said:
Just converted the video and imported it into photoshop. Just glad to contribute to the historic library of Gaf gifs.
and since when you can do that? with imageready?
sorry for the OT
EDIT: Thanks, i'll see what i can do. :D

Dead Man

cabot said:
wow, still don't get the hate for fourzerotwo
For me it started when the DLC for COD4 was region coded but it did not say so on the store for about 2 weeks. Heaps of people bought the DLC and couldn't use it with their imported discs. His response was a resounding 'meh' on the IW forums.

LeMaximilian said:
Just finished...

29lfiia.gif
Gold! :lol

Ninja Scooter said:
So in this thread people are getting excited because employees might leave one company to join another? Is that where we are as a forum now?

It's about employees leaving a shitty company that treats their employees like expendable slaves to join an independent developer that has the rights to its own games. If that's the forum we are now, rooting against corporations and dipshit CEOs that are trying to ruin the industry, I'm all for it.

JWong

Banned
Dan Amrich, no one gives a shit about money if they're working in the industry.

They just want to do what like doing best without a Nazi publisher.

Macmanus said:
I know it's in vogue to bash CoD. Has been for a while. But the reality is you don't sell a bajillion units of a title unless it's fun to a lot of people.

Miley Cyrus is a great musician because she sells a bunch of albums. Sales = quality right? As a tenth level 55 prestige player in COD4... I have earned the right up and down to complain about how shitty MW2 is. COD4 was IW's "Appetite for Destruction" while MW2 was their "Use Your Illusion". IW jumped the shark with MW2 and I hope now that they are outside of Activision they can try to get some of that spunk back that they lost.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
OldJadedGamer said:
Miley Cyrus is a great musician because she sells a bunch of albums. Sales = quality right? As a tenth level 55 prestige player in COD4... I have earned the right up and down to complain about how shitty MW2 is. COD4 was IW's "Appetite for Destruction" while MW2 was their "Use Your Illusion". IW jumped the shark with MW2 and I hope now that they are outside of Activision they can try to get some of that spunk back that they lost.

Couldn't agree more from the same standpoint as a 'COD4 expert'. Played 4 for two years, and MW2 for two months. Game really is total garbage, and the reason for it being potentially so is starting to become clear.

ZeoVGM

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

No, but people don't continue to play it 6 months later if it isn't good. Has nothing to do with initial sales.

It's critically acclaimed and people love it. The only place I see people shit on it to the point of insanity is, of course, GAF. I can look at my friends list right now and there 4 people playing MW2. Sorry, but people don't play shitty games for 6 months straight.

I mean you don't like it, that's cool. But acting like the game is complete shit is just silly.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
omg rite said:
Calling MW2 "total garbage" is such hyperbole it's embarrassing.

Mostly sorta kinda not really total garbage. I hit 10th prestige too, so I can be qualified to pass EXTREME JUDGMENT. lol

Although I got a laugh from the GIFs it still makes me sad to see such a talented group of individuals split up like this. I hope every employee has luck in their future endeavours.

omg rite said:
No, but people don't continue to play it 6 months later if it isn't good. Has nothing to do with initial sales.

It's critically acclaimed and people love it. The only place I see people shit on it to the point of insanity is, of course, GAF. I can look at my friends list right now and there 4 people playing MW2. Sorry, but people don't play shitty games for 6 months straight.

I mean you don't like it, that's cool. But acting like the game is complete shit is just silly.

Or are people playing it only because all their other friends are playing it? Your friends can be drinking at the shittest dive bar filled with ugly women but you are still going to go drinking there because even though it's a shitty bar... it's better than drinking alone.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
OldJadedGamer said:
Or are people playing it only because all their other friends are playing it? Your friends can be drinking at the shittest dive bar filled with ugly women but you are still going to go drinking there because even though it's a shitty bar... it's better than drinking alone.

fisto.jpg
/brofist

Firestorm

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/4/14/

215223452_fMSwf-L-2.jpg

As you watch the continuing exodus from Infinity Ward, there is some information that might help you understand what is going on. It's crucial at the outset to recognize the historical precedent, which is that a company called 2015 created a game called Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and after they'd accomplished this more or less unprecedented feat, many of the people who had done so left to become a company called Infinity Ward. That was in 2003, and we did a comic based on it. Watch close; it's happening again.

In Joystiq's interview with Vince Zampella and Jason West, there is a very interesting (if brief) exchange:

So, hiring being the focus of this morning's announcement. Are you actively soliciting your former IW colleagues? Do you expect any of them to follow you to Respawn? Have any of them already jumped ship?

JW: We're absolutely not soliciting in that way. We're kicking off our hiring drive today. We've got our website up. And you know we're excited to get the team together, and we'll announce the information at the appropriate time.

The first part of Jason's response is the important bit. The reason he needs to emphasize it is because they are not allowed to "actively solicit" their former colleagues. The trick, though, and the thing that makes the non-compete somewhat toothless, is that while they can't actively solicit them their former colleagues can approach Jason and Vince to inquire - casually - if there are any jobs available.

Which is pretty funny. Well, not if you're Activision. There is an old story, something about a golden goose; I can't remember the particulars.

The big issue here is that most of those leaving have the title of lead, to say the Infinity Ward team have lost there leadership and focus is an understatement.

Infinity

LeMaximilian said:
Just converted the video and imported it into photoshop. Just glad to contribute to the historic library of Gaf gifs.

This is great. Many :lol for a long time to come.

I just hope they all land on their feet and MW2 isn't the last we see of their talent.

Rubezh

Akia said:
  • Jason West -- President, Game Director (fired)
  • Vince Zampella -- CEO, Co-Founder (fired)
  • Francesco Gigliotti -- Lead Software Engineer
  • Jon Shiring -- Lead Programmer
  • Chris Cherubini -- Lead Artist
  • Bruce Ferriz -- Senior Animator (joined a start-up, Big Red Button Entertainment)
  • Todd Alderman -- Lead Designer
  • Mackey McCandlish -- Lead Designer
  • Steve Fukuda -- Lead Designer
  • Zied Reike -- Lead Designer
  • Rayme Vinson -- Programmer

Having the lead and senior positions go is an absolute nightmare for any business. They're the most experienced, have the most talent, manage large teams, and sometimes train less experienced employees. This is a very serious brain drain.

Cheeto

OuterWorldVoice said:
Can we all just remember that the vast bulk of Infinity Ward, regardless of which "side" they choose, are responsible for executing on a brilliantly ambitious and technically superb game that sold more than copies than anything else that year, and that judging their talent, ability or effort based on which camp they end up at is ludicrous?

And they aren't chess pieces. They can't just be moved around on a board. They have families, mortgages, friendships, school districts, lives.

It's an enormous talent mine and the ones who move and the ones who stay are all part of the same vein of ore.
:lol :lol

RJNavarrete said:
What is this from?
polyh3dron said:
They will when they realize how shitty the next COD is and then they try to figure out why it is so shitty. Activision will be able to fool them with one more mainline release and that's it.
I think CoD7 won't be too bad because WaW was good in the competitive-multiplayer sense, the next game may be in trouble though.

deepbrown

Rubezh said:
Having the lead and senior positions go is an absolute nightmare for any business. They're the most experienced, have the most talent, manage large teams, and sometimes train less experienced employees. This is a very serious brain drain.
Watch the rest of the team follow - they won't know what to do with themselves. That is unless, they get to become the senior peeps and get a nice payrise...

Interfectum

Calling it now: Infinity Ward will not exist by this time next year. Whoever is left after this mass exodus will be moved to the other CoD devs and IW will be shut down.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interfectum said:
Calling it now: Infinity Ward will not exist by this time next year. Whoever is left after this mass exodus will be moved to the other CoD devs and IW will be shut down.

Edit: Haha nevermind, misread your post.

Interfectum said:

That seems entirely possible, obvious actually.

I can't see Activision wanting to keep the Infinity Ward name around considering the negativity surrounding it.

Sanic

Macmanus said:

You personally are capable of making a laundry list of features you felt self entitled to? Rad! Clearly millions upon millions of people don't care about what you think.

So why don't you just lay off the thread derailment for a moment and bask in the schadenfreude-like euphoria that the rest of us are feeling as we watch Activision try and flounder out of this mess.

I never made any mention of how fun the game was, and I wasn't the one who started this 'derailment'. I'll just stop here.

Opus Angelorum said:

I can't see Activision wanting to keep the Infinity Ward name around considering the negativity surrounding it.

I doubt the casuals that play CoD really know about this situation. All they know is that their favorite CoD games are made by a company called Infinity Ward. I think even if the majority of the main staff of IW bails out that Activision will keep that name around.

derder

Opus Angelorum said:

Yeah, you know. They don't want another Treyarch

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ninja Scooter said:

I can understand it somewhat. People love drama and this is certainly drama. There is the "armchair quarterback" part of it as well. People looking at how a company with so many successfuk IPs are seemingly going to suck them all dry until they have nothing.

But personally, I think it is interesting on the level of corporate life and how things can go crazy, but I don't feel the need to take sides or cheer for either party. I am sure neither side is completely innocent of some wrong-doing.

peetfeet

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt the casuals that play CoD really know about this situation. All they know is that their favorite CoD games are made by a company called Infinity Ward. I think even if the majority of the main staff of IW bails out that Activision will keep that name around.

This. Unfortunately.

Top Bottom