• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward Bailout Watch

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
JWong said:
Not that either. They probably lost a ton on Tony Hawk Ride and Guitar Hero.

And let's not count Blizzard as a part of them.

Activision is the #1 publisher. They dwarf EA since they merged with Vivendi. They have almost three times the market cap of EA.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
There is a tear in my eye. Bravo to all of the upper team members who left. Infinity Ward needs to be left as a name and not a company of industry leading designers and programmers. I've already officially started to boycott any and all Activision products in order to do my small part in showing those assholes I am not blind enough to support a game from a ghost team that replaces the real geniuses behind a franchise.

It is completely understandable to do what they did if IW's games had underperformed or sucked. But when they make the highest selling HD game of the generation then they should be taken care of and treated accordingly.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Shaheed79 said:
There is a tear in my eye. Bravo to all of the upper team members who left. Infinity Ward needs to be left as a name and not a company of industry leading designers and programmers. I've already officially started to boycott any and all Activision products in order to do my small part in showing those assholes I am not blind enough to support a game from a ghost team that replaces the real geniuses behind a franchise.

It is completely understandable to do what they did if IW's games had underperformed or sucked. But when they make the highest selling HD game of the generation then they should be taken care of and treated accordingly.
I've only bought two games from Activision in the last couple of years because I'm still pissed off about how they handled Rock Band compatibility. :lol

BobsRevenge said:
I've only bought two games from Activision in the last couple of years because I'm still pissed off about how they handled Rock Band compatibility. :lol

What? Activision = Guitar Hero, not Rock Band. I have also boycotted Activision since Kotick's bullshit, but I'm sorry there's no way I'm not buying Blizzard products.

As much as I'd like to boycott Activision, I will be buying Transformers later this year because dammit I can't let that game fail. Good Transformer games are too far and between.

BobsRevenge

MisterAnderson said:
What? Activision = Guitar Hero, not Rock Band. I have also boycotted Activision since Kotick's bullshit, but I'm sorry there's no way I'm not buying Blizzard products.
Yeah, the Guitar Hero guitars were supposed to work with Rock Band for the PS3, but Activision wouldn't allow it. Ugly situation. I was really pissed off, because I got Guitar Hero 3 before RB came out thinking the guitar would work with both.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MisterAnderson said:
FUUUUUUUUCK!

EDIT:Now that I think about it, it is rather insulting how they treat blizzard compared to IW. They would NEVER pull this crap with Blizzard. Blizzard would laugh at them and respond "Do you know who you fukin with? Do You KNOW Who u PHUKEN WITH?"

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ether_Snake said:
I said it before many times but Kotick will be replaced, I'm 100% sure of it. They'll "promote" him, as is custom in the big American business world.

The guy has done nothing right. Every Activision success has been unrelated to Activision (CoD and Blizzard really), while everything that was of their own initiative (Prototype, Blur, that psychokinetic soviet game that disappeared, etc.) was or will be a flop, and all the series they already had have been ruined. Now the trend continues with CoD. I expect a similar outcome with Blizzard soon if things don't change.

Meanwhile Activision's shares dropped 3% today while everyone was up, mostly due to this panic.
kottick has also earned himself a poor rep for expressing his disinterest with gaming in general and for confessing that his drive in the industry is purely revenue related.

Loxley

Shaheed79 said:
FUUUUUUUUCK!

EDIT:Now that I think about it, it is rather insulting how they treat blizzard compared to IW. They would NEVER pull this crap with Blizzard. Blizzard would laugh at them and respond "Do you know who you fukin with? Do You KNOW Who u PHUKEN WITH?"

At this point Blizzard could probably afford better lawyers than Kotick :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Shaheed79 said:
FUUUUUUUUCK!

:lol

well written

saunderez

BobsRevenge said:
Yeah, the Guitar Hero guitars were supposed to work with Rock Band for the PS3, but Activision wouldn't allow it. Ugly situation. I was really pissed off, because I got Guitar Hero 3 before RB came out thinking the guitar would work with both.
That was more Sony's problem for taking their sweet ass time standardising guitar controllers. Hence why there was never any issue on the 360, Microsofts strict standards come in use for a change.

Chumly

Ether_Snake said:
I said it before many times but Kotick will be replaced, I'm 100% sure of it. They'll "promote" him, as is custom in the big American business world.

The guy has done nothing right. Every Activision success has been unrelated to Activision (CoD and Blizzard really), while everything that was of their own initiative (Prototype, Blur, that psychokinetic soviet game that disappeared, etc.) was or will be a flop, and all the series they already had have been ruined. Now the trend continues with CoD. I expect a similar outcome with Blizzard soon if things don't change.

Meanwhile Activision's shares dropped 3% today while everyone was up, mostly due to this panic.
THIS

While he may have made some incredible profits in the short term he is slowly running everything they have into the ground. Pretty soon the only thing propping them up will be blizzard if the run COD into the ground (only a matter of time).

Shaheed79 said:
FUUUUUUUUCK!

Well, Activision doesn't own Blizzard, it's a much different dynamic. Blizzard still develops and publishes their games independent from Activision, it's just that they have merged and basically share all profits now. (from what I understand). So basically, my boycotting attempts will be futile because every penny I spend on a Blizzard product is also going towards Activision :/

JWong

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Activision is the #1 publisher. They dwarf EA since they merged with Vivendi. They have almost three times the market cap of EA.
Activision without Blizzard = nothing

So really, they are nothing.

BobsRevenge

saunderez said:
That was more Sony's problem for taking their sweet ass time standardising guitar controllers. Hence why there was never any issue on the 360, Microsofts strict standards come in use for a change.
It wasn't Sony's fault that Activision was being a dick. I get what you're saying, but come on. It's obviously on Activision in the end.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's Activision-Blizzard guys, not Activision-Infinity Ward or anything else. Blizzard does what they do cause they are independent of Activision.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
sprsk said:
It's Activision-Blizzard guys, not Activision-Infinity Ward or anything else. Blizzard does what they do cause they are independent of Activision.
they share revenue though right? that's the important thing to consider if you hate activision so much you refuse to buy their games.

but yeah, activision cant make blizzard charge a subscription fee, or release sc metallica

saunderez said:

Well, it would have been a problem for MS too if Guitar Hero 2 wasn't released for the system previous to GH3 and Rock Band. The Rock Band crew just had to ensure that their game worked with the existing GH2 guitar.

BobsRevenge said:
It wasn't Sony's fault that Activision was being a dick. I get what you're saying, but come on. It's obviously on Activision in the end.

True, they could have patched it in but they shouldn't have had to. Personally, I feel the blame falls on Sony for not allowing an adapter for you to use your PS2 peripherals on the PS3.

BobsRevenge

OldJadedGamer said:
True, they could have patched it in but they shouldn't have had to. Personally, I feel the blame falls on Sony for not allowing an adapter for you to use your PS2 peripherals on the PS3.
I remember them having the patch ready, but Activision wouldn't allow them to release it. That's where the anger came from.

sprsk said:

No, Blizzard is not independent of Activision. Although Blizzard is purported to retain some creative independence as far as their games are concerned, business-wise, they still have to report to the Activision-Blizzard's COO who reports to Kotick. So in effect, Kotick's decisions can and do impact Blizzard directly....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amused_To_Death said:
No, Blizzard is not independent of Activision. Although Blizzard is purported to retain some creative independence as far as their games are concerned, business-wise, they still have to report to the Activision-Blizzard's COO who reports to Kotick. So in effect, Kotick's decisions can and do impact Blizzard directly....

Such as..?

Where's smoke there's fire, right?
Clearly Activison dropped the ball somehow here...

Amused_To_Death said:

This is correct, thought I wouldn't dare to go and tell Blizzard something that I think they're doing it wrong. Is just one of those developers that everybody loves.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kotick would love to put Blizzard in the franchise-milking farm, however I'd imagine Vivendi are more than happy with the studio's current cash-cow status which they've achieved by doing their own thing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kotick is one of the worst business men ever.

extremely short sighted.

Ramp up profits in the long run, but basically ruin franchises in the long run due to milking and conflicts such as this.

I'm sure the short term boosts maximized his wealth, but will hurt the company in the long run. A problem with the current incentive structure.

Arde5643

amtentori said:

extremely short sighted.

Ramp up profits in the long run, but basically ruin franchises in the long run due to milking and conflicts such as this.

I'm sure the short term boosts maximized his wealth, but will hurt the company in the long run. A problem with the current incentive structure.
He knows this, that's why he's already sold a lot of his shares. :lol

Wthermans

Banned
I don't see this happening whatsoever, but can you imagine if Treyarch and the remains of IW were rolled into one studio? I wonder if Robert Bowling would quit before he had to work with the Treyarch devs. :lol

Crateman

I'm eager to see what's going to be the long term effect of this episode. I wish the best of luck to both sides and I hope whatever comes out from this benefits both -IW and Respawn-...And I hope to see the day Activision redeems itself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Activision will be fine when they get rid of Kotick and put someone from Blizzard in charge instead, period.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. And I'm sure Vivendi knows this would be the right move. Activision brought nothing to Vivendi except CoD really, so they should put someone else at the head of it all, who was already part of Vivendi's (Blizzard's) success before Activision came in.

I'm sure they can find the right person, but they have to do it fucking soon.

Donos

:lol I had a good laugh at one kotaku comment (sorry for visiting this site)

Not Suspicious letter:

Dear person who works at IW,

We're definitly not Jason West and Vince Zampella.

And we most certainly aren't sending you this letter telling you we're looking for new designers for our brand new company that has no affiliation with Activision.

We certainly won't offer you you're old pay and job at this new company.

Did i mention this is not Jason West and Vince Zampella?

Sincerely,
Anonymous

PS: delete this email before it gets picked up by investigators

Cipherr

Deadly said:
How many employees did Infinity Wards have anyways? Is the number of people leaving actually significant?

Look at the positions:

* Jason West -- President, Game Director (fired)
* Vince Zampella -- CEO, Co-Founder (fired)
* Francesco Gigliotti -- Lead Software Engineer
* Jon Shiring -- Lead Programmer
* Chris Cherubini -- Lead Artist
* Bruce Ferriz -- Senior Animator
* Todd Alderman -- Lead Designer
* Mackey McCandlish -- Lead Designer
* Steve Fukuda -- Lead Designer
* Zied Reike -- Lead Designer
* Rayme Vinson -- Programmer

President, CEO, Game director, Lead Software Engineer, Lead Programmer, Lead Artist, Senior Animator, Lead Designer, Lead Designer, Lead Designer, Lead Designer, and on and on.

Those are high positions, filling that shit doesnt happen overnight, not even in this job strapped economy. Finding equal talent, bringing them in, getting them adjusted and situated with the existing staff you have, and getting them rolling on the cod game in production is going to be FUCKING MURDEROUSLY difficult to do. And all the while morale is being sapped like all fuck from every employer UNDER those leads who now know their lead left.

That shit is fucking brutal. It has to be reaaaaaaallly fucked up over there right now. Then they get to come home after work, and read how the entire gaming community and website is shitting on activision and championing a fucking boycott. If that doesnt make you want to bail out with your friends, I dont know what else can.

I love life sometimes. Kotick can take it straight up his smug grinning ass. That guy is a fucking douche, and I wish him and his decisions, luck, dreams, hope and fortune the absolute worse. Fuck him.

J-Rzez

Blizzard has been impacted a bit by Activision I feel. They cut a lot of corners in WoW in Wrath that's for sure. So many things recycled, lower art quality, servers seem to be shoddier anymore (my connection has got better since TBC, yet my ping and dc's have become far more worse), far more bugs, not delivering everything promised. Starcraft is being split up into the different factions per copy. They're finding more and more ways to ring out the cash.

I'm still surprised that MS or Sony didn't sign them up though, especially MS, instead of them ending up at EA. Oh well, good luck none the less. Hope their next project has a lot more polish and better community relations from them moving away from Activision.

BrokenSymmetry said:
I'm scared to think what will happen to Bizarre Creations if Blur doesn't turn out to be a big hit...
Not much. After bombing Tony Hawk Ride, Robomodo started ramping up for a second game, and was able to hire more people. It was around the same time the IW rumblings started.

JWong

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Blizzard has been impacted a bit by Activision I feel. They cut a lot of corners in WoW in Wrath that's for sure. So many things recycled, lower art quality, servers seem to be shoddier anymore (my connection has got better since TBC, yet my ping and dc's have become far more worse), far more bugs, not delivering everything promised. Starcraft is being split up into the different factions per copy. They're finding more and more ways to ring out the cash.

I'm still surprised that MS or Sony didn't sign them up though, especially MS, instead of them ending up at EA. Oh well, good luck none the less. Hope their next project has a lot more polish and better community relations from them moving away from Activision.
You're kidding right? They probably threw a load more money into Lich King than TBC.

Waaaay more higher production value. TBC had a nice little music loop for its login screen, Lich King has a 9 minute overture.

squicken

J-Rzez said:

Sony and MS were never going to get in the middle of a fight between a giant third party and its employees. Or now, between EA and Acti-Blizz. Either way you end up with an enemy.

I have to wonder if Respawn's next game won't be a next gen near-launch game. What would be interesting is if Sony/MS get into a bidding war over exclusivity.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
amtentori said:

extremely short sighted.

I highly doubt Kotick plans to be there for the long term. He's going to make his money and then bail out, the future of the company be damned.

Puncture said:
Look at the positions:

President, CEO, Game director, Lead Software Engineer, Lead Programmer, Lead Artist, Senior Animator, Lead Designer, Lead Designer, Lead Designer, Lead Designer, and on and on.

Those are high positions, filling that shit doesnt happen overnight, not even in this job strapped economy. Finding equal talent, bringing them in, getting them adjusted and situated with the existing staff you have, and getting them rolling on the cod game in production is going to be FUCKING MURDEROUSLY difficult to do. And all the while morale is being sapped like all fuck from every employer UNDER those leads who now know their lead left.
Yup. These guys were working together for almost the past decade. I don't blame them for leaving. I'm sure none of them wanted to work under a temporary interim leader set-up by Kotick.

Imagine taking orders from those guys with no game development experience! They'd be like, "Who are they to tell me what to do! I've been with IW since the first Call of Duty!"

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Spire said:
I highly doubt Kotick plans to be there for the long term. He's going to make his money and then bail out, the future of the company be damned.
this

3 more shitty cods then bailout

still. its a victory for games overall

Zeenbor

Puncture said:
Look at the positions:
That shit is fucking brutal. It has to be reaaaaaaallly fucked up over there right now. Then they get to come home after work, and read how the entire gaming community and website is shitting on activision and championing a fucking boycott. If that doesnt make you want to bail out with your friends, I dont know what else can.
THIS! It's a big clusterfuck of EPIC proportions.

Also, for those who haven't left yet or have to stay because of financial obligations... I'm sure they're worried about being consolidated with Treyarch now that all the leads have left, since Treyarch are the only ones with CoD engine expertise.

IW employees probably don't have a high opinion of Treyarch, in general. Think about it: IW was forced to give Treyarch their engine, support them, and have their successful IP being handled by a lower-quality studio. It's also probably the reason IW loathes Activision senior management.

If Activision didn't buy off Blizzard, there'd be hell to pay right now. As it stands, they can survive an IW closure/consolidation and milk out CoD for all its worth (thanks to Treyarch). When it comes to business, Kotick has his bases covered -- either by chance or by greed.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ether_Snake said:
Activision will be fine when they get rid of Kotick and put someone from Blizzard in charge instead, period.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. And I'm sure Vivendi knows this would be the right move. Activision brought nothing to Vivendi except CoD really, so they should put someone else at the head of it all, who was already part of Vivendi's (Blizzard's) success before Activision came in.

I'm sure they can find the right person, but they have to do it fucking soon.
why did they merge in the first place?

WARP10CK

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
why did they merge in the first place?

Now that's the million dollar question I had no idea what was going when they merged you would think that a company such as Blizzard who keeps making a ton of money and have some of the most established franchises in the gaming world might be doing fine on their own.

Zen

Banned
Vivendi bought Activision and put Activision in charge because aside from Blizzard, which is a huge fluke for Vivendi, they've had no ability to successfully manage themselves.

Top Bottom