• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up very well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
They're so much better than ASM. I was just thinking the other day that I can't remember a single thing about the ASM movies. I know Jamie Fox was in one. I remember Gwen Stacey was in one of them (or both?) So forgettable, worst movies ever.

Only have seen the first but I do recall quite a bit, mostly how much I despised the brash changes to the origin story and characterization of Parker especially.

Garfield cracks wise more, but rarely in a playful tone. Instead he was like a bully preying on the weaker thugs, especially in the first obnoxious scene wearing his suit and dealing with carjackers. He whines and broods over his father endlessly. He's the dark mysterious presence at school that everyone kind of assumes is either nuts or just some loner. It's so far removed from Peter as can be. Oh and he destroys the lives of everyone around him because he's a fool, especially Gwen and her family.

Didn't bother watching the sequel.

Eidan

movies don't age like games, no, because they're movies and not games

but of course movies age. a good movie in 1980 might not be a good movie today.

I disagree. Visuals in the film may become dated, but a good film in 1980 is still a good film. If anything they just because reflections of the times.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
People's tastes change with age? Do you think that every movie you liked as a kid is still just as good now that you're an adult?

Of course man, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still the GOAT and i will say the same 10 years later too.

LionPride

Banned
To me, they haven't aged that well.

Special effects are dated, Tobey's Peter is not a nerd, is a loser. Mary Jane is annoying and spends screaming her lungs out on each movie.

JJJ casting is fantastic, I will give you that.

Spider-Man 2 is looked back with rose-tinted glasses, it was not that good. To this day I'm still annoyed of the whole "spider-man loses his powers due to sadness".
They had a whole impotent thing going on too in the original script, buf yeah he stopped being Spider-Man because he's sad he can't be with one woman. Fuck the Raimi Peter is a damn loser. Not a nerd or geek, a loser.

LionPride

Banned
Only have seen the first but I do recall quite a bit, mostly how much I despised the brash changes to the origin story and characterization of Parker especially.

Garfield cracks wise more, but rarely in a playful tone. Instead he was like a bully preying on the weaker thugs, especially in the first obnoxious scene wearing his suit and dealing with carjackers. He whines and broods over his father endlessly. He's the dark mysterious presence at school that everyone kind of assumes is either nuts or just some loner. It's so far removed from Peter as can be. Oh and he destroys the lives of everyone around him because he's a fool, especially Gwen and her family.

Hold the fucking phone, he is not a dark mysterious presence, he's the guy who sits in with buds in his ears and if you talk to him, he'll talk back. He wants to find out more about his parents because he knows shit is suspsect, it is not as far removed from Peter, in fact it's a better Peter than the Raimi one. The only life destroyed is Captain Stacy and that's because he's dead. He's rather playful but come on, think about it, a dude with superpowers just fucks with people on the reg, it's bullying anywau ya slice it.

Sojgat

They haven't really gotten any worse over time. So in a way you're right.

There's certainly some good casting, it's just a pity Peter and MJ are so awful.

phanphare

Banned
I disagree. Visuals in the film may become dated, but a good film in 1980 is still a good film. If anything they just because reflections of the times.

I disagree with that. movies can age poorly based on a lot of things other than visuals. I mean, hell, comedies can age starting on day 1 depending on the type of humor they display.

I was just watching a thing about Mel Brooks and why his humor is so good but even he had blind spots in regards to his depiction of gay people. that shit aged poorly because it's not the 70's anymore.

Just rewatched them recently thanks to the Homecoming thread and yes, they're just as good now as they ever were. 2 might be the purest expression of the superhero concept in movie form along with Superman.

I enjoyed the Raimi SM movies well enough, but I think the only one that really nailed everything was the first one. SM2&3's problems for me were the manufactured Parker drama. The first hour and change of SM2 was a "let's shit on parker" show, and the first hour and change of SM3 was a "let's shit on MJ" show. SM3 obviously had a ton of other problems since they were trying to cram in way too much, but still.

Skilletor

A bully.

To thugs.

Oh, those poor criminals. lol

GOAT superhero movies. Loved them as a kid, love them even more nowadays. Unfortunately I don't care for the MCU movies very much at all. GOTG was good but I can't be assed to watch the other films. They're just not interesting to me at all. Don't think I'm gonna see Homecoming.

SM2 has more heart and coherence than the majority of the MCU flicks I've seen. Maguire is fine, Dunst is fine, Molina is amazing. Peter has such a good arc through that picture.

I'm worried Homecoming isn't going to take any time for down beats and is going to spend its running time being that annoying friend who won't stop telling jokes in inappropriate moments.

ZeroX03

Banned
Rewatched the trilogy the other day. Wasn't really feeling the first movie, I'm not sure if I'd say it held up that well. The action, acting and dialogue were shaky, it's not just the visual effects and costume design that you'd expect to age (other two were much better there). Spider-Man 2 was a lot better film in general, they learned and improved so much from the first film and it holds up damn well.

Hell I'd say Spider-Man 3's action held up really well, and the film itself is actually two good movies awkwardly mashed together into some Frankenstein's monster of a single film. On a scene by scene level I enjoy it a lot, but it never fits together into a cohesive unit, there's way too much going on and everybody is under served.

Also it's been years but I'm still floored that anyone thought the Lizard design in ASM was a good idea. That face. So bad.

phanphare

Banned
SM2 has more heart and coherence than the majority of the MCU flicks I've seen. Maguire is fine, Dunst is fine, Molina is amazing. Peter has such a good arc through that picture.

I'm worried Homecoming isn't going to take any time for down beats and is going to spend its running time being that annoying friend who won't stop telling jokes in inappropriate moments.

you're worried that Homecoming is going to depict Spider Man as he should be depicted?

prepare for disappointment then I guess

The Sam Raimi Spiderman's overall hold up the best compared to the other Superhero movies of that time. Even Spiderman 3 though heavily flawed because of corporate influence is still a good movie.

jph139

If Peter Parker isn't a loser, he's not Peter Parker (or at least, not the Peter Parker they're adapting - those early 60s comics). People aren't mean to Peter because he's actually great and brilliant and misunderstood and they're just cruel awful people. They're mean to him because he's a weirdo.

That's why Hollywood so often fails at portraying "nerds." They're usually just good, handsome, charismatic people with some glasses slapped on them.

Real people get bullied for a reason. Tobey makes weird faces, he pauses and stares, he says stupid shit all the time. He has no spine at all. He takes the abuse and shrugs because it's his lot in life. He has a good heart, but it's compromised by selfishness and fear. That's real. That's my life up there on the screen. That's why it works.

In Spider-Man 2, when he knows MJ has a boyfriend, he starts hanging around and reciting poetry despite thinking that's gonna somehow win her heart? God, I can barely even watch it because I remember being that guy.

I mean, sure, he's like 30 years old and pretending to be a high schooler but...

LionPride

Banned
I agree. The movies were okay but I wasn't a huge fan of him as Spidey. I also don't get the hate for ASM. At least the first one.
The first one was fine, if Sont didn't chop and screw it to hell trying tk market the untold story of Spider-Man, movie is significantly more coherent and better.

It could have been so much better

tumblr_nmlw8m33RS1sykpjyo3_400.gif

Why, Raimi, why?

Jesus please kill it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
the movies are fine Tobey & Dunst are awful in their roles - the melodrama is CW-tier

I am really looking forward to seeing our first good live action Peter Parker again

Disagree, the acting from the two leads is sus for three straight movies, the villains themselves are...alright in terms of character, acting from them is good. Characterization for Peter makes him an annoying asswipe who gives up Spider-Man because he feels like it and his relationship with MJ ain't good. Never comes across as genuine. The movies are fine movies, but as a Spider-Man movie, I never got the core characteristics always found in Peter Parker as Spider-Man.

And hell 3 is fine too, if Raimi made the movie he wanted to make, it'd be another fine movie.

To me, they haven't aged that well.

Special effects are dated, Tobey's Peter is not a nerd, is a loser. Mary Jane is annoying and spends screaming her lungs out on each movie.

JJJ casting is fantastic, I will give you that.

Spider-Man 2 is looked back with rose-tinted glasses, it was not that good. To this day I'm still annoyed of the whole "spider-man loses his powers due to sadness".

Nah. Maguire was an awful Spider-Man then, and he's an awful Spider-Man now.

They're terrible movies and the continued praise for them baffles me.

But I guess being hokey as fuck is part of the charm or whatever.

Agreed. I really didn't like them. Toby is a terrible Spiderman and an even worse Parker.

They haven't really gotten any worse over time. So in a way you're right.

There's certainly some good casting, it's just a pity Peter and MJ are so awful.

j_CCFm.gif

Nope, nope. Just stay out of it.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Nah. Maguire was an awful Spider-Man then, and he's an awful Spider-Man now.

i hope when Holland has to face his down-beat, in a post A4 (probably after some real deaths), he can handle the sad scenes better than Tobey

co-signed x3

tenor.gif

Agreed. I really didn't like them. Toby is a terrible Spiderman and an even worse Parker.

I gotta say the train scene where everyone sees unmasked Parker makes my eyes roll so incredibly much.
oPwn-4.gif

THANK YOU! Garfield's Parker is a complete and utter prick who does not understand the concept of responsibility, if anything, the movies do their damnedest to absolve him of any of it. How do you screw up something like the death of Uncle Ben, for Christ's sake!? Or when they offed Gwen..."IT'S MY CHOICE TO BE HERE!" I hate those movies so much.

Sheroking

There's nothing to "hold up" as far as Spider-Man goes. It was never as good as the best superhero films of it's era.

Spider-Man 2 was more of a revelation, but I think it stopped holding up after 2008 when we got two superhero films who were both legitimately great AND not giant cheesecake factories. We've had good superhero movies every year since.

Redd

Tobey McGuire's Peter Parker was excellent it was just his wise cracking Spidey that was trash. Still his back and fourth with Doc Ock was very good during the bank robbery.

Kirsten Dunst as MJ was bad. I'm trying to think of a good scene she had and can't come up with anything.

Sephzilla

Part of the reason I like Spidey 1 over Spidey 2 is because I kind of feel like Raimi got a little too much freedom with the sequel. Spider-Man 1 feels like "A Spider-Man movie directed by Sam Raimi" while Spider-Man 2 feels like "A Sam Raimi movie featuring Spider-Man". It gets a little too hokey for me

reKon

Banned
I won't say Spiderman 2 is bad film. It clearly isn't. But baffles me how GAF still regards this as one of the definitive hero flicks. It just doesn't make sense to me.There are films in recent years that have easily exceeded Spiderman 2.

LionPride

Banned
Tobey McGuire's Peter Parker was excellent it was just his wise cracking Spidey that was trash. Still his back and fourth with Doc Ock was very good during the bank robbery.

Kirsten Dunst as MJ was bad. I'm trying to think of a good scene she had and can't come up with anything.
His Peter is, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, a baby back bitch of a human. Not in a good way.
Don't worry, Spidey 1/2 stans will be sure to ruin any discussion about homecoming. You'll have your chance, repeatedly.
Holy fuck I'm not ready for that bullshit. Homecoming will obviously be the best Spider-Man movie, shit the trailers made that clear, impressions, and spoilers have too, but that OT is gonna be hell

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If Peter Parker isn't a loser, he's not Peter Parker (or at least, not the Peter Parker they're adapting - those early 60s comics). People aren't mean to Peter because he's actually great and brilliant and misunderstood and they're just cruel awful people. They're mean to him because he's a weirdo.

That's why Hollywood so often fails at portraying "nerds." They're usually just good, handsome, charismatic people with some glasses slapped on them.

Real people get bullied for a reason. Tobey makes weird faces, he pauses and stares, he says stupid shit all the time. He has no spine at all. He takes the abuse and shrugs because it's his lot in life. He has a good heart, but it's compromised by selfishness and fear. That's real. That's my life up there on the screen. That's why it works.

In Spider-Man 2, when he knows MJ has a boyfriend, he starts hanging around and reciting poetry despite thinking that's gonna somehow win her heart? God, I can barely even watch it because I remember being that guy.

I mean, sure, he's like 30 years old and pretending to be a high schooler but...

Parker is a nerd, but not a loser. He gets with Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy, MJ, Black Cat, etc... he's confident in his abilities both as a hero and as a genius.

"Spineless" is a terrible trait for a hero to have, and it certainly doesn't apply to Peter Parker.

And his problems with women have to do with Parker Luck, not being some guy on the brink of reading reddit mra forums

kmfdmpig

For me Spider-Man 2 is a top-tier superhero movie which still holds up well. Molina was perfect as Doc. Ock, I thought. Spider-Man 1, IMO, is a bit overrated while Spider-Man 3 is a bit overly maligned. Both have some good stuff and some absolutely awful scenes.

The final fight in 1 between Goblin and Spidey is so brutal and personal. I imagine the final battle in Homecoming will be an incoherent CGI clusterfuck.

One of the underrated aspects of the Raimi films is that the whole world is filled with these goofy over-the-top cartoony personalities. The MCU is literally "the real world, but with heroes" except for GOTG and it makes the universe really boring.

Skilletor

I mean...you're victim blaming bullied people.

People get bullied because bullies are assholes.\

Holy fuck I'm not ready for that bullshit. Homecoming will obviously be the best Spider-Man movie, shit the trailers made that clear, impressions, and spoilers have too, but that OT is gonna be hell

Yup. I typically avoid Spidey threads on GAF because of it.

Been bored at work lately, though. lol

LionPride

Banned
Asm 1 was great. Asm 2 suffered from villain bloat, unfortunately.
No it didn't. It suffered from Sony being Sony, chopping and screwing the movie to fucking hell, and again, no movie suffers because of too many characters, there are two villains on that movie really. Rhino ain't shit. Movie suffered because it wasn't that good.

Also it seems like people who adore the Raimi Spider-Man joints, have no clue what traits Peter Parker has as a character. Lol.

samn

In my opinion they don't hold up that well actually and feel extremely early/mid 2000s. I'm also not a huge fan of Tobey's Spidey as he doesn't quip or anything nearly enough. Tobey's Peter was on point though. Dafoe's Osborne is great too, as is Simmons as JJ

Spidey 1 > Spidey 2

I hate quips. The new Spider-Man looks so smug.

phanphare

Banned
THANK YOU! Garfield's Parker is a complete and utter prick who does not understand the concept of responsibility, if anything, the movies do their damnedest to absolve him of any of it. How do you screw up something like the death of Uncle Ben, for Christ's sake!? Or when they offed Gwen..."IT'S MY CHOICE TO BE HERE!" I hate those movies so much.

real talk gwen's death was more important for spider man and pete than uncle ben's, that's when spider man really grew into the hero that we all know and love

He should be quippy, not abrasive or tone-deaf.

The MCU so far has been all about quippy main characters or silly jokes at their expense, so I guess we'll see more of the same.

telling jokes at inappropriate moments is Spider Man though, that's what you said

Parker is a nerd, but not a loser. He gets with Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy, MJ, Black Cat, etc... he's confident in his abilities both as a hero and as a genius.

"Spineless" is a terrible trait for a hero to have, and it certainly doesn't apply to Peter Parker.

And his problems with women have to do with Parker Luck, not being some guy on the brink of reading reddit mra forums

yep, well said

never mind that once he gets to college shit evens out a lot in terms of people accepting him

Top Bottom