• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up very well.

kiguel182

The first one didn't hold up to me at all. It's way to campy.

The second one is much better even if I think Peter and Mary Jane are crappy adaptations of the original characters.

phanphare

Banned
I feel like there's this contingent on GAF that refuses to believe good superhero movies existed before 2008.

nah, there's the 1989 Batman movie, maybe the second, the first two Ninja Turtles movies,
Spawn
, Blade, Blade 2, X Men, X Men 2, and Batman Begins

probably missing some

this is a Spider Man thing

I just think a clear directorial vision makes for a better film, generally. I really don't care about Spider-Man the character, I care what the director (and everyone involved) make of it.

I think that's the divide between people who want to see the character they love on screen, and people who want to see a good movie regardless. In this thread there's a lot of people saying "Parker should be this, he should do that...", If we're talking about the quality of a movie I'm not too interested in that.

Why not both? I think Raimi absolutely could have made the movie he wanted to with a version of Peter that was 100% lifted straight out of the best Spider-Man comics. He chose not to go in that direction which is fine, and I think people lamenting that aren't just hating on the movies for no good reason (well some are) - they want a new, more faithful take on the character that hopefully manages to have the artistic vision and charm that Raimi's movies had.

I just think a clear directorial vision makes for a better film, generally. I really don't care about Spider-Man the character, I care what the director (and everyone involved) make of it.

I think that's the divide between people who want to see the character they love on screen, and people who want to see a good movie regardless. In this thread there's a lot of people saying "Parker should be this, he should do that...", If we're talking about the quality of a movie I'm not too interested in that.

Only reason this doesn't make sense is, in 2017, we now know it is possible to have both, even if the Spidey movies have all fallen into one of two camps (sorta, SM3 wasn't either lmao).

Charamiwa

Banned
You say that like a person can't have both when both is something that very much can happen

Of course it can happen. I'm just saying, a lot of people dislike Batman Returns and Spider-Man 2 because of how unfaithful they are, but they're my favorite because I love to see a director with a strong vision adapt something their own way. It's something I don't really see in the MCU (except maybe GotG).

edit: to the people saying "Why not both?", I'm with you. But Raimi wanted to do it his way and it made for a great movie (imo), so I wouldn't want it any other way. If another director comes out with a Spider-Man ripped from the comics pages and make a case for it, I'm sure I'll love it too!

phanphare

Banned
Of course it can happen. I'm just saying, a lot of people dislike Batman Returns and Spider-Man 2 because of how unfaithful they are, but they're my favorite because I love to see a director with a strong vision adapt something their own way. It's something I don't really see in the MCU (except maybe GotG).

Iron Man 3 too

which is a good movie

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Despite all the little nagging issues I have with these movies, Rosemary Harris' genuinely heartfelt performance of Aunt May fucking holds it all together and makes me love this version of Parker when he decides to do right by her. She embodies the type of familial love that you would do absolutely anything for. And that scene is the fucking best in the entire trilogy.

Fist bump. I was so hyped for the final showdown after that scene. Everything building up to Pete coming back as Spidey and stealing his suit back from Jonah was perfect.

That's all preference. I have no problem admitting Spider-Man 2 is a great movie. My disdain for it is purely from the "not Spidey" angle.

I said most, and I noticed it because folks really like saying they like that the Spider-Man doesn't joke, or his character in the movies. When it comes to adapting a story, most things can be changed, but there are certain core character traits that in any iteration are always always there. Most of those traits aren't with Raimi's Peter. So it's past not my Spider-Man and into not any Spider-Man really. And that doesn't make them bad films. Shit I've said they're good. Just not good Spider-Man movies.

I get what you mean and we're not going to agree on this but here's where I stand:
They are good movies. They are called Spider-Man. They are good Spider-Man movies.

And they are the default version of the character for millions of people around the world. And if some of these people looked at the comics, they might say: "that's not how the real Spider-Man would act!" Which is why I don't care about such things when it comes to characters that have been around for decades. Looking for consistency is useless. Nolan's Batman is different from current comic Batman who is different from 60s Batman who was wildly different from 39 Batman. That guy was a fun-loving murderer with a gun. But they're all valid interpretations of the concept.

And for what it's worth, Raimi's Spider-Man perfectly embodied the essence of the 70s Spider-Man reprints I used to read as a kid. So they are a faithful adaptation from my point of view. But even then, I love Man of Steel and that depiction of Superman is wildly different from the Superman I like in the comics. I still consider it to be a Superman film.

Anyway, the internet would be a much happier place if comic-book fans could realize that their version of a particular character is not the one and only.

jph139

He still wasn't a spineless loser in those early years.

He never was - girls were fawning over him from the jump.

Just because that was a relatable version of the character to you, doesn't mean it's true to the comics nor does it make for a compelling hero.

panel_asm028a_omni.jpg

I mean, I've read the entire Stan Lee run. I'm talking REAL early, pre-Gwen Stacy, when that awkward Betty Brant stuff is all he's getting. And the Peter in those comics is a real loser. Maybe I'm giving either too much or too little credit to Lee's writing, but I read a spineless Parker who puts on his costume to get a modicum of confidence.

The premise of Spider-Man, for me, is "average outcast by day, troubled hero by night." That's the elevator pitch. If you stray from that, you're missing the point.

AdanVC

Those two movies are amazing. Spider Man 2 is the GOAT superhero movie. Awesome amount of action, comedy and story mixed with excellent and well implemented CG effects.

It's videogame is also the best superhero game ever made. I played the hell out of Spider Man 2 on Gamecube and loved every minute of it.

I liked Tobey as Peter Parker *shrug*

Oh and never saw the third movie because of the awful reviews hah. Guess I will do this week thanks to this thread just to see if it's as bad as most people claim.

Skilletor

Those two movies are amazing. Spider Man 2 is the GOAT superhero movie. Awesome amount of action, comedy and story mixed with excellent and well implemented CG effects.

It's videogame is also the best superhero game ever made. I played the hell out of Spider Man 2 on Gamecube and loved every minute of it.

I liked Tobey as Peter Parker *shrug*

Not in a world where the Batman Arkham games exist.

Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are the only MCU movies I haven't seen yet.

I would say the whole "MCU production process eclipses directors vision" thing is pretty overstated. But Thor 2 is definitely an example of where it came from and has some merit. Iron Man 3 on the other hand is the polar opposite and Shane Black's hands on it definitely show.

LionPride

Banned
I get what you mean and we're not going to agree on this but here's where I stand:
They are good movies. They are called Spider-Man. They are good Spider-Man movies.

And they are the default version of the character for millions of people around the world. And if some of these people looked at the comics, they might say: "that's not how the real Spider-Man would act!" Which is why I don't care about such things when it comes to characters that have been around for decades. Looking for consistency is useless. Nolan's Batman is different from current comic Batman who is different from 60s Batman who was wildly different from 39 Batman. But they're all valid interpretations of the concept.

And for what it's worth, Raimi's Spider-Man perfectly embodied the essence of the 70s Spider-Man reprints I used to read as a kid. So they are a faithful adaptation from my point of view. But even then, I love Man of Steel and that depiction of Superman is wildly different from the Superman I like in the comics. I still consider it to be a Superman film.

Anyway, the internet would be a much happier place if comic-book fans could realize that their version of a particular character is not the one and only.
Nolan's Batman still maintains the essence of the Batman and Bruce Wayne character though. And that's where my problem has come from the portrayals of Peter and MJ in these movies. The Man of Steel movie, one of my favorites. The Superman is different but I believed you could see the formation of his core ideals there, a consistency. With these characters, regardless of what is happening, they maintain some form of consistency. Red Son Superman still has the same ideals and traits, Ultimate Peter Parker, Ultimate Reed Richards, and so on amd so forth. My version of Spider-Man has been around forever, just never accurately portrayed in a movie to me. His core character traits such as putting the world on his shoulders, being a damn near genius, being a dude with no confidemce who fails upward in his personal life, has supreme confidence as Spider-Man, being a pest as Spider-Man, being so fucking serious all the same, that's been around forever.

That's all. So again, the Raimi joints? Fine movies. Good even. But they ain't good Spider-Man portrayals.

Unless it's by James Gunn don't expect to see anyone's vision in the MCU.

Compromising parts of your vision because your film has to work in a larger universe doesn't mean none of what these directors put up is their vision. Claiming otherwise is stupid.

Also, saying "they're good movies called Spider-Man makes them good Spider-Man movies" is rather simple.

nachum00

I would say the whole "MCU production process eclipses directors vision" thing is pretty overstated. But Thor 2 is definitely an example of where it came from and has some merit. Iron Man 3 on the other hand is the polar opposite and Shane Black's hands on it definitely show.
I'll eventually get around to Iron Man 3. But I'll probably just skip Thor 2 and go straight to 3.

LionPride

Banned
Unless it's by James Gunn don't expect to see anyone's vision in the MCU.
Thor
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Avengers 2
Thor 3 looks like it
Guardians
Guardians 2
Ant-Man
Black Panther by the trailer

Just a few examples of the director's vision amd style still being arouns in these movies but push ya agenda

Fercho

No they are not, they are campy shit shows with terrible CGI effects, infantile and childish and bad acted. Also Tobey MaGuire sucks and he is kinda ugly. Horrible movies.

The only good scene on both movies it's the train scene a that's about it.

nachum00

Thor
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Avengers 2
Thor 3 looks like it
Guardians
Guardians 2
Ant-Man

Just a few examples of the director's vision amd style still being arouns in these movies but push ya agenda
Half of those movies are extremely generic and uninspired.

cr0w

Old Member

edit: to the people saying "Why not both?", I'm with you. But Raimi wanted to do it his way and it made for a great movie (imo), so I wouldn't want it any other way. If another director comes out with a Spider-Man ripped from the comics pages and make a case for it, I'm sure I'll love it too!

I like Batman Returns if I watch it as a Burton movie and not as a Batman movie. If I were to do the latter, it would drive me insane as a Batman fan, and it did when I first saw it in the theater.

I'm just not a fan of Raimi in general beyond Evil Dead, I think he relies too much on his tropes and it takes me out of his work, so his Spidey movies already had that working against them for me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Okay

So even though they prove that they director's style and vision can clearly be shown

Because you think they generic and uninspired it doesn't matter? Gotcha.

gotta move the goalposts to preserve the "mcu is just corporate movie-factory robot beep boop"

nachum00

Okay

So even though they prove that they director's style and vision can clearly be shown

Because you think they generic and uninspired it doesn't matter? Gotcha.

That game outside of Swinging is not good.
Says the guy that thinks Logan was generic.

phanphare

Banned
That game outside of Swinging is not good.

that game was cool at the time. also that warehouse you can find late in the game was cool as fuck, with all the enemies in there. I put so many hours into that.

it may not have aged well but I'll always like the PS1 Spider Man better though. that game had it all for me.

also Ultimate Spider Man > Spider Man 2

cr0w

Old Member
Man if y'all never played the Genesis Spider-Man games (excluding fucking Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge), you missed out on some good shit.

Parker is a nerd, but not a loser. He gets with Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy, MJ, Black Cat, etc... he's confident in his abilities both as a hero and as a genius.

"Spineless" is a terrible trait for a hero to have, and it certainly doesn't apply to Peter Parker.

And his problems with women have to do with Parker Luck, not being some guy on the brink of reading reddit mra forums

It sounds like you want a self-insert.

LionPride

Banned
that game was cool at the time. also that warehouse you can find late in the game was cool as fuck, with all the enemies in there. I put so many hours into that.

it may not have aged well but I'll always like the PS1 Spider Man better though. that game had it all for me.

also Ultimate Spider Man > Spider Man 2
PREACH. Throwing the motercycle at Wolverine in the beginning = good shit.
It's hard to when you can't even form a coherent criticism on why you think the action in Logan looked "janky"
So because you were called out you gonna move positions to try and attack my thoughts on Logan? Lol. Get outta this thread with that shit. Go to the lttp of you wanna talk shit.

Top Bottom