• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up very well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hold the fucking phone, he is not a dark mysterious presence, he's the guy who sits in with buds in his ears and if you talk to him, he'll talk back. He wants to find out more about his parents because he knows shit is suspsect, it is not as far removed from Peter, in fact it's a better Peter than the Raimi one. The only life destroyed is Captain Stacy and that's because he's dead. He's rather playful but come on, think about it, a dude with superpowers just fucks with people on the reg, it's bullying anywau ya slice it.

A bully.

To thugs.

Oh, those poor criminals. lol

Ok yea, its obvious the entire premise of the character and theme is completely lost on both of you. Despite how often it's jammed into the core of the films.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
sam raimi films from 15 years ago hold up? bro sam raimi films from 30 years ago hold up

cr0w

Old Member
Never did like Tobey as Pete or Dunst as MJ. Plus, MJ was a harpy for most of the trilogy. Just completely unlikable.

Also didn't like Raimi's insertion of his tropes into the films (the classic, Bruce Campbell, etc.). It takes me out of the film when I'm supposed to be sucked into the Spider-Man universe but I see hallmarks of Evil Dead and Darkman and the like inserted as a wink to his past works.

Oh, and Macy Gray. Good lord.

But I grew up on Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen and Mark Bagley Spider-Man, when they had already ditched the high school Parker and his stories went in a darker, more adult direction. I'm very much a product of the late '80s-'90s comic era.

Lunar15

2 is real good. Definitely got a lot of things right from a cinematic storytelling standpoint, even if it might not be the most accurate portrayal of Spider-man we've ever seen. Tobey's a bit dopey and I could have gone for more quips during the fights, but these are so trivial against the fact that it's simply an enjoyable and well made movie.

It's a good movie first and an okay comic book movie second. I'm glad that movies are getting more accurate in their portrayal of comic books, but I often feel like it's at the expense of making a real quality film.

Redd

His Peter is, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, a baby back bitch of a human. Not in a good way.

He was a photography nerd being bullied who spent his time chasing after the bus because he was late to the bus stop. It's not like he had spidey powers yet. How the hell is he gonna take on Flash and his friends. Of course he's gonna be bullied. Of course Parkers gonna crush on the hot girl next door. Of course the teacher had to step in to stop the bullying. All that made sense.

LionPride

Banned
I hate quips. The new Spider-Man looks so smug.
Then why you watching a Spider-Man movie? He will tell jokes to fuck with you, to boost himself, to get in ya head. He's that annoying fuck who keeps badgering you and throws you off. He's Gary Payton or Reggie Miller if I want to use a sport analogy.
Jesus...
So fans of Raimi's Spider-Man aren't legit enough for you? What a ridiculous thing to say.
Sayin shit like you don't like quips, liking things that ain't Peter, that ain't good. Peter Parker isn't some spineless fuck who can't get the girl because he's weird. He's literally just a smart guy who is bullied by an asshole, but when he has confidence he's and I quote "a Golden God"

PowderedToast

they have a great vibe. the first one really feels like the defacto comic book origin story. its really well executed and we hadn't been over exposed or fatigued as an audience.

as an 11 year old seeing spidey on the big screen felt like a dream coming true. it was spectacular.

the emotional beats work really well, i actually like the leads a lot. looking back, raimi was an inspired and daring choice and managed to translate a lot of his sensibilities to a big budget mainstream movie

then 2 just added so much substance and dramatic heft. what a brilliant sequel. you can tell that raimi struggled to know where to take the characters in the third and it affects every aspect of it.

JCHandsom

Of course man, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still the GOAT and i will say the same 10 years later too.

The Michael Bay Transformers movies make a lot of money, which means that there are kids today who really like them. Do you think that 10 years from now they'll still be talking about how great they are?

is the second the one that has that cringeworthy "singin' in the rain" sequence?

i just remember laughing out loud in the theater with friends at how bad it all was. haven't watched it since.

if it's the wrong movie, move along.

nachum00

Yeah of course a 15 year old movie holds up. A good film will always be a good film. It doesn't matter if it's from 2002 or 1922.

phanphare

Banned
Jesus...
So fans of Raimi's Spider-Man aren't legit enough for you? What a ridiculous thing to say.

it's not a knock, you can like what you like, but that has been a trend I've noticed as well

it's more that the people who liked raimi's depiction of certain characters might not have had preconceived notions about who those characters were so they were more willing to accept interpretations that may not have carried over essential elements of those characters.

Redd

The Michael Bay Transformers movies make a lot of money, which means that there are kids today who really like them. Do you think that 10 years from now they'll still be talking about how great they are?

I still love the first 2 TMNT movies. And I think they hold up well to this day.

Schlorgan

If Peter Parker isn't a loser, he's not Peter Parker (or at least, not the Peter Parker they're adapting - those early 60s comics). People aren't mean to Peter because he's actually great and brilliant and misunderstood and they're just cruel awful people. They're mean to him because he's a weirdo.

That's why Hollywood so often fails at portraying "nerds." They're usually just good, handsome, charismatic people with some glasses slapped on them.

Real people get bullied for a reason. Tobey makes weird faces, he pauses and stares, he says stupid shit all the time. He has no spine at all. He takes the abuse and shrugs because it's his lot in life. He has a good heart, but it's compromised by selfishness and fear. That's real. That's my life up there on the screen. That's why it works.

In Spider-Man 2, when he knows MJ has a boyfriend, he starts hanging around and reciting poetry despite thinking that's gonna somehow win her heart? God, I can barely even watch it because I remember being that guy.

I mean, sure, he's like 30 years old and pretending to be a high schooler but...

I always liked him because I felt I identified with him in a way I don't with other portrayals of the character.

Jesus...

No, just that Raimi's Spider-Man is not a very faithful adaptation of the character so people don't need to toss him around as the ultimate de-facto version. There are Spider-Man fans who have been waiting for a version of the character to be done right, even if Raimi's first two movies were good for what they were going for.

telling jokes at inappropriate moments is Spider Man though, that's what you said

I don't think you get what I'm saying. Spider-Man tells jokes when fighting baddies because it's entertaining for the reader/viewer. The SM I'm familiar with doesn't joke about dark moments or quip when his friends get hurt. If comic writers have Deadpooled him in recent years, then I'm not up to speed.

No, just that Raimi's Spider-Man is not a very faithful adaptation of the character so people don't need to toss him around as the ultimate de-facto version. There are Spider-Man fans who have been waiting for a version of the character to be done right, even if Raimi's first two movies were good for what they were going for.
Yes, exactly.

I love Spider-Man 2 but that isn't the Peter I know and love from the comics, and that isn't a bad thing.

LionPride

Banned
I don't think you get what I'm saying. Spider-Man tells jokes when fighting baddies because it's entertaining for the reader/viewer. The SM I'm familiar with doesn't joke about dark moments or quip when his friends get hurt. If comic writers have Deadpooled him in recent years, then I'm not up to speed.
But the Spider-Man in TASM didn't do that either, and Homecoming like won't either, so where is your complaint based from?

cr0w

Old Member
To me, Raimi's Spider-Man movies suffer from the same thing Burton's Batman movies do...they're Raimi movies with Spider-Man in them. It's hard for me to get invested in a Spider-Man or Batman movie when they're less about the characters and more about the director's style. Their hallmarks are distracting. They also seem to miss some very fundamental elements of the characters because they're making "their" versions instead of adapting the established versions.

It's not so much for the viewer as it is part of his actual fighting style. He acts annoying, tells dumb jokes and blabbers constantly while fighting to throw his opponent off, to make them mad and make them sloppy.

phanphare

Banned

Spider Man has always been the PG/PG-13 equivalent of Deadpool

also what are you talking about with the bolded? receipts?

jph139

Parker is a nerd, but not a loser. He gets with Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy, MJ, Black Cat, etc... he's confident in his abilities both as a hero and as a genius.

"Spineless" is a terrible trait for a hero to have, and it certainly doesn't apply to Peter Parker.

And his problems with women have to do with Parker Luck, not being some guy on the brink of reading reddit mra forums

I'm talking old school, original, first 2/3 years Spider-Man. Eventually he ends up marrying a superstar model/actress and becoming a world famous billionaire - which is fine, you can do what you want with the character.

But the Raimi Spider-Man is cut from the cloth of that original mold - the sort of teenage outcast that reads comic books ends up becoming one.

I mean...you're victim blaming bullied people.

People get bullied because bullies are assholes.

I've been on the victim end most of my life. People get bullied and ostracized and mocked for a reason - they're a different race, or like a different gender, or talk funny or act funny or look funny. That's not fair, or right, or just. But it's how it works.

Maguire's Peter feels, to me at least, like a performance and script that comes from a real place of being "that weird guy."

Sayin shit like you don't like quips, liking things that ain't Peter, that ain't good.

Come on, you complain in advance of Raimi fans shitting up the future Homecoming OT and then you proceed to claim that anybody who likes these films doesn't know shit about the character. Most of us here are quite familiar with the comics and also happen to love 1 & 2. If you don't, that's fine, but I haven't seen you put forward a decent argument outside of "not my spidahman", which is irrelevant.

But Spider-Man 2 is the best Spider-Man story I've seen in any medium, so it is the ultimate version of the character for me, and I've read plenty of comics. Again, not liking the Raimi films is fine, but calling out people who enjoy them and claiming that they don't "get" the real Spider-Man is nonsense.

Jeff-DSA

I have the Spider-Man pinball machine that was based on the movies. JK Simmons did custom voice work for it and it's amazing. He has some really great call outs. They really should bring him back for the role again in some way.

XeOboXM.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm talking old school, original, first 2/3 years Spider-Man. Eventually he ends up marrying a superstar model/actress and becoming a world famous billionaire - which is fine, you can do what you want with the character.

But the Raimi Spider-Man is cut from the cloth of that original mold - the sort of teenage outcast that reads comic books ends up becoming one.

He still wasn't a spineless loser in those early years.

He never was - girls were fawning over him from the jump.

Just because that was a relatable version of the character to you, doesn't mean it's true to the comics nor does it make for a compelling hero.

panel_asm028a_omni.jpg

Skilletor

He still wasn't a spineless loser in those early years.

He never was - girls were fawning over him from the jump.

Just because that was a relatable version of the character to you, doesn't mean it's true to the comics nor does it make for a compelling hero.

panel_asm028a_omni.jpg

Why Parker look like he's about to slap somebody? lol

I enjoyed the Raimi SM movies well enough, but I think the only one that really nailed everything was the first one. SM2&3's problems for me were the manufactured Parker drama. The first hour and change of SM2 was a "let's shit on parker" show, and the first hour and change of SM3 was a "let's shit on MJ" show. SM3 obviously had a ton of other problems since they were trying to cram in way too much, but still.

I don't even like the Raimi movies depiction of Spidey in general, but this is kinda missing the point of Peter Parker.

That "Parker luck" is real.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The Aunt May scene where she's moving out and talking to Peter about how people need Spider-Man gets me every. fucking. time.

"I believe there's a hero in all of us."

Rosemary Harris was so earnest and good as Aunt May. I think her lines coming from any other actress would have felt disingenuous, but she sold it so well. Spider-Man 1 and 2 are still in the top 10 of the best Superhero movies of all time. And we have a lot of great superhero movies to choose from now.

JCHandsom

I still love the first 2 TMNT movies. And I think they hold up well to this day.

My point is that there are bad movies that a lot of kids like for superficial reasons (Giant Robots!) that won't hold up for them due to factors they might not pick up on until they're older (the misogyny, homophobia, bad performances, etc.)

"I believe there's a hero in all of us."

Rosemary Harris was so earnest and good as Aunt May. I think her likes coming from any other actress would have felt disingenuous, but she sold it so well. Spider-Man 1 and 2 are still in the top 10 of the best Superhero movies of all time. And we have a little t of great superhero movies to choose from now.

Despite all the little nagging issues I have with these movies, Rosemary Harris' genuinely heartfelt performance of Aunt May fucking holds it all together and makes me love this version of Parker when he decides to do right by her. She embodies the type of familial love that you would do absolutely anything for. And that scene is the fucking best in the entire trilogy.

LionPride

Banned
Come on, you complain in advance of Raimi fans shitting up the future Homecoming OT and then you proceed to claim that anybody who likes these films doesn't know shit about the character. Most of us here are quite familiar with the comics and also happen to love 1 & 2. If you don't, that's fine, but I haven't seen you put forward a decent argument outside of "not my spidahman", which is irrelevant.
I said most, and I noticed it because folks really like saying they like that the Spider-Man doesn't joke, or his character in the movies. When it comes to adapting a story, most things can be changed, but there are certain core character traits that in any iteration are always always there. Most of those traits aren't with Raimi's Peter. So it's past not my Spider-Man and into not any Spider-Man really. And that doesn't make them bad films. Shit I've said they're good. Just not good Spider-Man movies.

But Peter cries too much, and it's silly, and ha. Honestly I think the first two films hold-up fairly well, a lot of the supporting characters can be "wasted", but I do think Peter Parker / Spider-Man's story-arc throughout the first two films is good. Plus while the villains are hammy, I do really like how much connection they have to Peter in some way, even Sandman in Spider-Man 3, dumb as that retcon was.

Some of the CGI holds up too, some of it is more blatant, though not surprising since the first Spider-Man came at a time when studios were starting to rely more and more on CGI to the point of it being exclusive. Good films though.

movies don't age like games, no, because they're movies and not games

but of course movies age. a good movie in 1980 might not be a good movie today.

A lot of if depends on when a movie was released. Films can change with time after all.

LionPride

Banned
I don't even like the Raimi movies depiction of Spidey in general, but this is kinda missing the point of Peter Parker.

That "Parker luck" is real.
Peter Parker and Matt Murdock luck is very bery real

Until Daredevil makes out with Black Cat in front of Spider-Man then shit's off the rails
That doesn't even make sense lmao what a baseless claim.
Baseless claims, can't be my Neogaf

Charamiwa

Banned
To me, Raimi's Spider-Man movies suffer from the same thing Burton's Batman movies do...they're Raimi movies with Spider-Man in them. It's hard for me to get invested in a Spider-Man or Batman movie when they're less about the characters and more about the director's style. Their hallmarks are distracting. They also seem to miss some very fundamental elements of the characters because they're making "their" versions instead of adapting the established versions.

I just think a clear directorial vision makes for a better film, generally. I really don't care about Spider-Man the character, I care what the director (and everyone involved) make of it.

I think that's the divide between people who want to see the character they love on screen, and people who want to see a good movie regardless. In this thread there's a lot of people saying "Parker should be this, he should do that...", If we're talking about the quality of a movie I'm not too interested in that.

LionPride

Banned
I feel like there's this contingent on GAF that refuses to believe good superhero movies existed before 2008.
Blade
Superman II
Darkman
The Crow
Hellboy
Batman Begins

Bout all I got
I just think a clear directorial vision makes for a better film, generally. I really don't care about Spider-Man the character, I care what the director (and everyone involved) make of it.

I think that's the divide between people who want to see the character they love on screen, and people who want to see a good movie regardless.
You say that like a person can't have both when both is something that very much can happen

Top Bottom