• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft DRM features exploit that allows arbitrary code execution (update: patched)

Ryoku

Thanks, nice to see some level-headedness amongst all of the silly quickfire reactions in here.

To be fair, as I said before, Ubisoft does treat PC gamers like shit regarding DRM, so the "quickfire reactions" are understandable. I don't get the comments about having to reinstall/format Windows.

Lancehead

You do realize that you don't own the games that you pay money to buy on Steam, and that they can be taken from you at anytime, right?

What are you talking about? He said if a game is to use DRM it's better to use Steam, and there are a whole host of reasons for that. You're just talking past the point being made.

Besides, your claim is not really clear cut. EU probably will have something to say about that.

People are exaggerating. Uplay just installs a web browser plug-in that has poor security standards. There's nothing to suggest it can be used to alter protected Windows processes or Ubisoft games. You want to fix this? Disable the plug-in in your browser. Done. People talking about reformatting their PCs are making me facepalm. This is more down to incompetence than malicious intent, and I don't expect competence from Ubisoft.

The exploit enables root access and remote code execution, in various shapes and sizes. It's easy to disable, but doesn't change the fact that by default, millions of PCs right now are vulnerable to getting fucked. If Ubisoft is fast enough, the real world damage will be minimal, aside from consumer confidence, but this isn't as innocent as you make it out to be. Added your fix to the OP.

The exploit enables root access and remote code execution, in various shapes and sizes. It's easy to disable, but doesn't change the fact that by default, millions of PCs right now are vulnerable to getting fucked. If Ubisoft is fast enough, the real world damage will be minimal, aside from consumer confidence, but this isn't as innocent as you make it out to be. Added your fix to the OP.

So this thing gives elevated access to windows?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Why didn't Firefox complain when Ubisoft's software installed this insecure browser plug-in without my consent? Seems like that's a huge potential security hole.

wrowa

No. No DRM at all would be lovely. Valve worship is something I don't get. Great company, but the worship is not needed.

A "No DRM" future is nothing but delusional. Since copy protection isn't suddenly to vanish, it makes more sense to praise DRM done right than complaining about every DRM like an narrow-minded grandpa.

Recall

To be fair, as I said before, Ubisoft does treat PC gamers like shit regarding DRM, so the "quickfire reactions" are understandable. I don't get the comments about having to reinstall/format Windows.

Reinstalling/formatting is the default internet response to PC troubleshooting and its a thing that really needs to stop.

Ceebs

Thankfully the only Ubi game I have on my system is Rayman. Have not installed any others since the new Uplay was launched.

2MF

Are the Steam versions of the games also vulnerable?

Maybe it's a good idea to ask for a refund...

Digoman

So this thing gives elevated access to windows?

I just did a really quick test over here. What it appears to do is launch the Ubiplay launcher, with the specified parameters, so in theory you could run a command to download an payload, but I think it stays on the access level of the browser. But again, this is just the impression I got from the quick test.

Are folks who have the Steam version of Anno safe from this? Asking cause I'm a nosy meddler. ^_^

I think anything that installs the Ubiplay 2.0 is vulnerable. The last thing I played over here from Ubisoft was Anno 2070, and the plugin was present.

So if Settlers 7 didn't install this as of a few months ago, all of the games listed in the OP's link don't seem to have the rootkit. I wonder what the cutoff point is.

mocoworm

Besides, your claim is not really clear cut. EU probably will have something to say about that.

"... a recent decision to ban a user account has reminded us all we don’t technically own the games bought through the service. If your account is banned, you can’t login and play your games. All that money you spent on tens, or even hundreds of titles doesn’t count for anything."

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/steam-proves-we-dont-own-the-games-we-buy-2012021/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, the original post is just a proof of concept. Like I said, hopefully Ubisoft reacts quickly, before someone start tweeting "New Ass Creed 3 trailer!! *malicious link*" and people get screwed.
Assuming Windows 7 or Vista, how does it give elevated access to Windows if the Uplay application isn't configured to run with admin rights? I thought UAC was designed to prevent that exact situation.

TheD

The Detective
There's a reason why publishers don't put their most recent games on the service.

That is because they are stupid.

DRM does not work, just about every game has been cracked, most of them quickly around release.

Recall

Yes, all that hard work for you when other people are re-installing.

Re-installing isn't a fix, its a work around. It doesn't make sure the same fault won't return. Trouble shooting it and adressing it correctly prevents the same issue arrising.

I remember a time Warcrat 3 would randomly stop working. The typical internet response to fixing was, re-install, reformat, defrag. Which I did and the issue returned. 2 years after the fact it seems it was just missing a .dll file and the lengthy process of reformatting was clearly never needed.

This plug-in is technically a rootkit since it allows privileged access at will.

Definition:
"A rootkit is a stealthy type of malicious software (malware) designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer."

It might not be he stealthiest, but it's not obvious. Hijack this can also detect Uplay. *Shrug*

Game Guru

You do realize that you don't own the games that you pay money to buy on Steam, and that they can be taken from you at anytime, right?

Of course, but then I'd demand my money back unless they had a damn good reason for locking me out of my games... I don't cheat or hack my games, I'm generally a nice fellow with other people, and save for Steam's potential demise, I don't think I wouldn't have access to Steam. I also don't usually pay more than $2.50 per game I buy as I buy most of the current generation games on my consoles.

In addition, I have DRM-Free copies of many of my games, and I also use GOG and Desura for games. However, in terms of services that actually have DRM, Steam is second-to-none, and unless Ubisoft decides to put their modern catalog on GOG, they, like every other big name publisher, are probably going to force DRM into their games. In that case, I would prefer said DRM to be Steam.

TheD

The Detective
I could understand a small delay (week or so) for the DRM free versions to come out (due to trying to stop day one piracy), but leaving heavy DRM on games months or years after they have been cracked hurts no one bar the people buying the damn game.

This plug-in is technically a rootkit since it allows privileged access at will.

Definition:
"A rootkit is a stealthy type of malicious software (malware) designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer."

It might not be he stealthiest, but it's not obvious. Hijack this can also detect Uplay. *Shrug*

No, a rootkit acts a bit like a man in the middle attack, intercepting and modifying code to hide itself from the user and other programs and to change anything it wants.

I could understand a small delay (week or so) for the DRM free versions to come out (due to trying to stop day one piracy), but leaving heavy DRM on games months or years after they have been cracked hurts no one bar the people buying the damn game.

No, a rootkit acts as a filter between the kernel and user mode programs, hiding anything it does not want you to see.

There is more then one definition to a Rootkit. I am not reading anything in this text book that specifies the kernel. I see most commonly associated.

Lancehead

"... a recent decision to ban a user account has reminded us all we don’t technically own the games bought through the service. If your account is banned, you can’t login and play your games. All that money you spent on tens, or even hundreds of titles doesn’t count for anything."

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/steam-proves-we-dont-own-the-games-we-buy-2012021/

I don't see how that confirms Valve (and other publishers) can just take away all your games and get away with it. EULA doesn't dictate the ownership of licensed products, it's more complicated. See recent European court ruling allowing re-sale of licensed software, for example.

Would imagine that this is a purposefully designed "feature", someone on the hackernews link is reporting the same behaviour with the Firefox version of the plugin, so it's not just ActiveX and Chrome. They don't seem to be arguing about the definition of rootkit over at that link, and I trust they know what they are talking about. They are more concerned that this was published and Ubisoft won't be able to patch it quickly.
That being said, installing a "sudo" plugin in everybody's browser without any security validation (if I understand correctly what this is about) would be hilarious if it wasn't that tragic. But gamers are gamers, they forgave sony, they'll forgive ubisoft too, and they'll never learn.

Sethos

Banned
Re-installing isn't a fix, its a work around. It doesn't make sure the same fault won't return. Trouble shooting it and adressing it correctly prevents the same issue arrising.

Takes 15 minutes to re-install Windows, takes a helluva lot longer to troubleshoot on your own, unless you sponge off the internet of course for a solution which rarely pops up until days / months later. Re-installing is a fix, helps in 99% of situations and in 96% it's a permanent solution*.

*Numbers may vary

diamount

Banned
So obviously shoddy ports aren't enough for Ubisoft. They want our financial/personal information to be open to any skid interested.

SJRB

Gold Member
First page reactions got me worried my pc would explode in t-minus 5 minutes for installing Driver: San Fransisco, but disabling the Chrome plugin for uPlay would just fix this mess it seems?

Dambrosi

Banned

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/s...e-buy-2012021/
That was back in February. The EU Court's decision last month supersedes it, at least in the EU.

All we need is someone brave, rich and handsome enough to challenge Valve et al over it.

Top Bottom