• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

good news. don't suppose you've tried it in 3D have you?

i wish Alan Wake's lighting was a baseline standard here in 2012. Crysis 2 DX11 beats it... but i'm not sure what else does. haven't played BF3 but i've heard good things there.
No I haven't, sorry. My monitor is plain old 2D and 60Hz.

But yeah, people with 7970's shouldn't worry at all. I hit 54 fps when I shot three guys with a flare, but that was only for a moment and I couldn't tell since the screen was illuminated anyway. Everything else was locked at 60 fps.

derFeef

Please, this lighting was impressive by 2009 standards. We have moved on.

Fine but it still doesn't explain the disconnect between this games looks and performance.

I guess you just don't like the look of it?
50% - dammit.

No I haven't, sorry. My monitor is plain old 2D and 60Hz.

But yeah, people with 7970's shouldn't worry at all. I hit 54 fps when I shot three guys with a flare, but that was only for a moment and I couldn't tell since the screen was illuminated anyway.

Awesome news, thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the new shots, Dennis. :)

Oh, you mean the explanation they are using rendering techniques that are overly taxing on the hardware yet provides no visual different over, say bog standard dynamic lighting or even a pre-baked lighting in some cases? I'm supposed to call that acceptable for my game chugging along at 30FPS on top of the line hardware when it looks like something from last year?
This...this game is from last year, right? Surely they didn't totally rewrite the effects in the last month or two for PC.

Oh, you mean the explanation they are using rendering techniques that are overly taxing on the hardware yet provides no visual different over, say bog standard dynamic lighting or even a pre-baked lighting in some cases? I'm supposed to call that acceptable for my game chugging along at 30-40FPS on top of the line hardware when it looks like something from last year?

it's only in certain situations where you can't see the benefits. those situations are common in the day time, but they happen enough in the game for it to be worthwhile, to me anyways, but then it sounds like i'm going to be playing the game at 60 fps anyway so it's easy for me not to be too pissed off.

Crysis 1 is from when? and what frame rate does that run at for you in DX10 with everything maxed out (not custom configs)? i'm guessing it's not running at 30-40 fps.

Durante

Anyone who calls this a cheap console port is fucking stupid.

Those are not console quality textures. Not by a long shot.

scitek

Oh, you mean the explanation they are using rendering techniques that are overly taxing on the hardware yet provides no visual different over, say bog standard dynamic lighting or even a pre-baked lighting in some cases? I'm supposed to call that acceptable for my game chugging along at 30FPS on top of the line hardware when it looks like something from last year?

If you're really getting 30fps then something's wrong with your system. I'm getting 45-55fps on a Phenom II and a Radeon 6950 with everything maxed, including 8xMSAA and FXAA on High.

derFeef

If you're really getting 30fps then something's wrong with your system. I'm getting 45-55fps on a Phenom II and a Radeon 6950 with everything maxed, including 8xMSAA and FXAA on High.

He is running it at a high resolution (2560x1600?), though.

Sethos

Banned
I guess you just don't like the look of it?
50% - dammit.

I really want to play the game, I want to enjoy the story and just get something for my money but the game is just under-performing for me. This game looks like something you'd expect to run at 50-60FPS on ( mostly ) maxed out settings but it just doesn't - It annoys me to no end. Some games are such graphical marvels you expect them running at less than 40-ish FPS, while other games are allowed to lack in every area with the benefit of much improved performance. This game is just caught in a limbo between those two.

People just have a VERY hard time grasping that concept.

derFeef

I really want to play the game, I want to enjoy the story and just get something for my money but the game is just under-performing for me. This game looks like something you'd expect to run at 50-60FPS on ( mostly ) maxed out settings but it just doesn't - It annoys me to no end. Some games are such graphical marvels you excpect them running at less than 40-ish FPS, while other games are allowed to lack in every area with the benefit of much improved performance. People just have a VERY hard time grasping that concept.

I have yet to see the PC version in person, but judging from playing the 360 version like 4 times and the PC screenshots, I think we may have to disagree about the look of it. I can see where you are coming from, though.

Dilly

Banned
I'm kinda on the fence. I found the game interesting when it was initially announced for PC and now I'm not sure if I should buy it on Steam.

Sethos

Banned
I have yet to see the PC version in person, but judging from playing the 360 version like 4 times and the PC screenshots, I think we may have to disagree about the look of it. I can see where you are coming from, though.

I want to stress, despite all of my posts I don't think the game looks downright bad. There's just too many people drumming up the game to some marvel I feel it's not, so I just drum a bit harder to play the effects down as some people are glorifying it a bit too much. The overall look of the image and Remedy's style is pleasant and they caught a very nice atmosphere, some of the scenes do look very good but are destroyed by a lot of low-quality assets and textures. If this game was just running like most other games in its bracket runs on my PC, I'd be happy as clam but there's something up here.

As I said earlier. Turned FXAA off completely and even lowering SSAO had no effect on the FPS whatsoever which makes me suspect something else, perhaps driver related, perhaps a game related issue that needs to be patched because those two options should easily give me an FPS boost.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you try it :)

So like Skyrim then?

You were almost original, someone posted the same remark over an hour ago.

Oh well, I just bought it. I'll judge this myself.

I think I might use a 50hz refresh rate as I might be able to get that more or less locked down at 1080p on my OCed GTX 560 Ti 448. Although if performance in S3D is good, that might be the way I go.

Downloading at a steady 3.7MB/s so it should be done in half an hour or so.

I want to stress, despite all of my posts I don't think the game looks downright bad. There's just too many people drumming up the game to some marvel I feel it's not, so I just drum a bit harder to play the effects down as some people are glorifying it a bit too much. The overall look of the image and Remedy's style is pleasant and they caught a very nice atmosphere, some of the scenes do look very good but are destroyed by a lot of low-quality assets and textures. If this game was just running like most other games in its bracket runs on my PC, I'd be happy as clam but there's something up here.

As I said earlier. Turned FXAA off completely and even lowering SSAO had no effect on the FPS whatsoever which makes me suspect something else, perhaps driver related, perhaps a game related issue that needs to be patched because those two options should easily give me an FPS boost.

not sure about SSAO, but Remedy say that FXAA has only a minor performance hit, so you shouldn't expect to gain much by turning it off.

It's not really expensive, but should be turned off on low-end systems. High uses a slightly slower, better quality technique.

PetriRMD

Neo Member
Sethos,

Have you tried lowering the overall resolution? It kinda sounds like you could be fillrate bound since you're running the game with pretty extreme high res setup.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the $20 Green Man Gaming deal. That seems like more than a reasonable price for the game and the DLC packs.

scitek

I think I'm going to go ahead with the $20 Green Man Gaming deal. That seems like more than a reasonable price for the game and the DLC packs.

Well, the game used would run you at least $10, and that'd be on the cheap side, then the two DLC eps each cost 560 Microsoft Points, so you'd be out $20 or more anyway.

Am I crazy or does it look like the X360 version has more/thicker fog from that comparison video?

It looks that way because the FOV's been scaled back on the PC side. The fog appears thicker when the camera's closer to Alan.

scitek

we might, but that quote was from the official forums ;)

I think he means PetriRMD.

is it just me or this game dosent look impressive any more even in high res

I think it still looks impressive, but it's a shame it didn't come out in 2010 because it would've been one of the best looking games available at the time. (It would've also made the 360 version look pretty shitty by comparison, though.)

Wondering how my Asus G73JW will fair at 720p

Q740 @ 1.73
8gb
GTX460M

If I could lock it at 30fps/everything maxed, I'd be a happy camper and gladly triple dip

...that's right, I've already bought it twice. Once on Games on Demand and then again with the Limited Edition =P

I think this game looks way more impressive in high res. So much detail you never picked up in the 360 version.

alanwake2012-02-1621-5aamx.jpg

For Mid-Range people: Everything at max except for Volumetric Light set to low and FXAA turned off, 4xAA at 1920x1200 = around 30 fps with a GTX 275.

It definitely looks like Remedy did a fine job with this one. I'll be picking it up today and will probably be playing all weekend. Really excited to finally play this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shots look fantastic. I cannot wait to get home and play this. I don't mind turning a few settings down, but hopefully my GTX460 can run this at 60fps with some AA.

Just want to stop by and hope you PC people enjoy the story and game as much as some of us here on GAF have when it was first released. Hopefully we get some more Alan Wake fans too after this as well, there doesn't seem to be many of us on GAF.

But enjoy the game, I'm sure you all will enjoy it!

PetriRMD

Neo Member
Wait, we have remedy staff on gaf? Mind blown.

*smile* We post mostly at our forums where most of the fans are, but we do follow gaf occasionally too. Sincerely hope you guys enjoy the game :)

As to the any tech issues, there's a thread in the official forums as well. If someone is having serious issues with their setup & the game, please post a note there and we'll try to address the issues in the future.

We really do care about Wake on the PC and want everyone to have a great experience with the game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sethos,

Have you tried lowering the overall resolution? It kinda sounds like you could be fillrate bound since you're running the game with pretty extreme high res setup.

Yeah, I remember Remedy were talking about the engine and very high fillrate or something like that. I remember though that it boiled down to "your game might be laggy at extremely high resolution".

I wish I hadn't youtubed this game.

Edit:eek:h it seems that Remedy is here.

Sucks to hear Sli isn't scaling worth a shit. Out of town until Saturday, intended to run home and get this bitch going. I'll be holding off until nvidia gets their shit together.

Tifou

Banned
*smile* We post mostly at our forums where most of the fans are, but we do follow gaf occasionally too. Sincerely hope you guys enjoy the game :)

As to the any tech issues, there's a thread in the official forums as well. If someone is having serious issues with their setup & the game, please post a note there and we'll try to address the issues in the future.

We really do care about Wake on the PC and want everyone to have a great experience with the game.

Thumbs UP!

Thumbs UP!
From me as well.

Just finished the first chapter and I'm loving everything about it so far. Really fun, incredibly immersive, looks amazing, and runs beautifully. It's a shame to think that I might have missed out on the game if it hadn't been released for PC.

Oh shit, I don't know if I should get it or not, some of the performance comments are making me second guess.

I have an iMac 3.4Ghz i7, 6970m (overclocked to about 6850 performance) and 12gb ram. Would it be possible to lock it at 30FPS (using Dxtory) with reasonable settings at 1080p?

Hawk269

Any way to turn off the motion blur? I cant stand the blur when rotating the camera.

Also, running in SLI and getting poor performance..any update on that?

I played the 360 version and the PC version is miles ahead...visually, the game is stunning! Daytime settings are now appreciated versus the mess it looked like in the 360 version.

Top Bottom