• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Alienous

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Diana/Steve's relationship. Certainly not over other couples like Tony/Pepper or Steve/Peggy.

Steve's part of the relationship just felt like a dude trying to impress a girl. I'm not sure that we see the real Steve Trevor, but rather it felt to me like him playing superhero for Diana. It's not an uncommon thing in reality, though, I guess.

Then there's the relationship lasting for, what, a week? Two? And it's between Diana and the first man she's met. It felt like a weird mix of (not quite) 'born sexy yesterday' and 90 day fiancé.

So it didn't feel like true love to me. Nothing like 'they were made for each other', but 'it just happened that the first man she met was a decent dude'. It's a good beginning to a relationship but I felt like it got to "I love you" far too quickly.

Went to see it yesterday as it released in Spain.
LOVED IT!
Gadot and Pine has a bunch of chemistry and didnt have a problem when Steve sacrifices himself and Diana just leashes out, not only of love for him, but becuase its that moment when she understanded even if humanity is shit a lot of the time, there are lots of people that deserve to be saved and give opportunity to humanity as a whole, is an act of love, not only of man and a woman, but love for all good things.

The part in London was phenomenal, and Im sad we are not ever going to see Etta and the rest of the roupe becuase they are going to jump to modern times, those character were perfect as companion cast for wonder woman movies.
I hope Steve Trevor's death doesnt make Diana chase after other super heroes of the Justice League becuase I totally despise that in the comics, thast why i wanted some type of Trevor family to surivive for modern Wonderwoman.

Something I didnt like was Ares. Was there really a need to make that character be Ares? the plot twist was stupid and not needed, Ares could have been perfectly the Poison Doctor or just an artificial embodiment of war and man. Not only stupid from a story stand point, but also from a visual one. Ancient greeks with moustaches, lol Who the fuck in the art team thought was a good idea.

Even then loved it, super happy for Patty Jenkins and Gadot.
I think it was a stronger movie than Captain America TFA and I loved Captain America TFA. But I was really bored with CA third act, while here I was interested and only slightly dissapointed about the Ares stuff.

Theorry

Wonder Woman isn’t the only deity anymore. Eugene Brave Rock, who plays Chief in DC’s blockbuster film Wonder Woman, looks to have confirmed one of the movie’s big secrets: Chief is a demi-god.

Indian Country Today previously reported a little-known detail about Wonder Woman’s first encounter with Chief, one of the men recruited by Steve Trevor to help Wonder Woman on her mission. The two of them first addressed each other in the Blackfoot language, a native language of the Americas spoken by about 8,000 people in northern Montana and southern Alberta, Canada. It was the only language that wasn’t subtitled in the film, which makes this next part kind of amazing. During their chat, Chief introduced himself as Napi, a Blackfoot demi-god.

Napi, known as Old Man, is the culture hero of the Blackfoot tribe. He was the first man made by the Creator, and he helped shape the world and its people, along with his wife, Kipitaki. As Moviepilot pointed out, Napi’s origin story is unique in the creation mythos. Rather than being benevolent or kind, Napi is a troublesome trickster, showing how the natural world cannot be controlled.

This could’ve easily been an inside joke for the audience, but Brave Rock told io9 on Twitter that Chief is, in fact, Napi. And even though director Patty Jenkins gave Brave Rock a lot of creative freedom with the character, Chief’s introduction wasn’t improvised. Brave Rock said his reveal as Napi was a bonafide part of the script. It makes sense when you consider that Chief is the first person Diana shakes hands with, even though she’s presented with the opportunity several times beforehand with other people.

This doesn’t necessarily mean Napi will be a larger part of the DCEU in the future (although that would be pretty awesome), but it’s exciting to see another side of Chief and his place in Wonder Woman’s world.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-woman-actor-says-chief-is-actually-a-demi-god-1796389983

Khoryos

I've got to say,I was really underwhelmed by WW, start to finish. From the opening just wasting the incredible texture and potential of Greek myth down to "Zeus good, Ares evil, everyone dead" to the heroic highpoint of the film being Gadot murdering a bunch of conscripts, the presentation of chemical weapons as an exclusively German evil, muddy choreography... It wasn't a terrible film, and it's definitely the best DCU film, but it really wasn't great.

Alcander

Ending was pretty meh for me. Looked like a video game cut scene? The emotion she showed toward Steve dying felt extremely forced.

I liked the beginning a lot! That island was well realized, and the initial battle between the Amazons and soldiers was well done.

Can WW fly? Haven't read the comics. She seemed to be flying at the end. Also why doesn't she age (when she clearly aged as a child)?

Also did I miss something or were their side kick guys basically completely useless/trivial?

once Steve got away on the plane couldn't he have just flown away somewhere safe and delivered the poison to the allies rather than blowing himself up?

I've got to say,I was really underwhelmed by WW, start to finish. From the opening just wasting the incredible texture and potential of Greek myth down to "Zeus good, Ares evil, everyone dead" to the heroic highpoint of the film being Gadot murdering a bunch of conscripts, the presentation of chemical weapons as an exclusively German evil, muddy choreography... It wasn't a terrible film, and it's definitely the best DCU film, but it really wasn't great.
What did you like about it?

Khoryos

What did you like about it?
Well, it's always nice to see Spud getting work, I guess?

Some of the jokes didn't fall flat, and not all the choreography was bad - the fight on the beach was pretty solid, I liked Steve's sacrifice, and WW going berserk afterwards was really well done right up until she decided that a mass-murderer was more worthy of life than the aforementioned dead conscripts.

once Steve got away on the plane couldn't he have just flown away somewhere safe and delivered the poison to the allies rather than blowing himself up?

Define "someplace safe." 50 mile radius is a pretty considerable amount of coverage, especially in Europe, and we don't know exactly how long the timer was.

Whompa02

Just came back from it and I got no beef with it. The movie was fantastic. Great pacing, great characters, and surprisingly good acting on all fronts. A little slow in the beginning but after the training/soft origin story bits, it took off.

The scene where she gets up and goes forward in No Man's Land was especially emotional and well done, as well as the ending.

Man...DC finally did it...only took 3-4 lame films, in a row, in the DC universe, to finally get something so right.

So the movie yesterday,
Overall I enjoyed it.

Thought Gal was great as Wonder Woman, the chemistry between her and Steve were good. Definitely, the best of the DCU and this movie really had hart.

My main problem with the movie was the action scenes, they weren't bad but they overused slow motion too much which can be really jarring when done together with CGI, it really pulled me out of the movie which rarely happens for me.

Nere

Just came back from it with mixed feelings. On the one hand we had the characters and the non action scenes which were all awesome, Steve and Diana had good chemistry and the movie was pretty humorous and well made. On the other hand, we had the action scenes which were pretty badly shot, overused slow motion, bad cgi effects and everything looked pretty ridiculous and came up a bit cheesy, also the depiction of the Germans in the WWI which I find unfair as showing as the bad guys in a war which there were no bad or good guys and in a war in which both sides used mustard gas not only Germany. It feels like they were mostly portraying a WWII Germany but in the first WW which is a bit weird. And also why did they had to cast such an old actor to play Ares? Ares was always depicted as a young person obviously the god of war would be at his peak physically. Overall I would say it was one of the most enjoyable super hero movies but with probably the worst action scenes.

I like how she pretty much went Super Saiyan at the end. Enjoyable movie. Think I might like First Avenger better, but need to watch it again.

Although I liked Pine and Godot better than Evans and Atwell.

just saw this and i must say i expected much more after the hype it got around here.
Gadot is doing an acceptable job but she's still far from good, i can see her improving a lot though. the movie is looking decent which was a treat after how garbage the other movies in that universe looked. rest is pretty by the numbers which for the DCU is a huuuuge step up. don't get me wrong i enjoyed it but it has a lot of room to grow, nearly lost me towards the end though. i would give a 6/10 but i'm docking a point for the whole "let nazis speak english with a fake german accent" thing.

5/10 average

TheRed

Finally watched this.

I don't understand the absurd hate for the third act. It doesn't feel out of place at all and it's executed in a great way. It's not as CGI bloated as I was expecting nor is it even long. The real horrible act is the first.

It's so mediocre it almost destroyed the whole film for me. It's cheesy, it's hammy and has a weird tone that doesn't fit the rest of the movie. They should've cut that shit altogether or make it half the length, the movie takes a lot to get rolling.

Crappy first act aside, the more I think about the movie the more I like it.

It has soul, it's inspiring, it has believable characters, the story is good adventurous comic fun with over the top villains. It manages to create a much better world in one film that Snyder in 2.

I loved how much heart it had. Encouraging and melancholic, superheroish and realistic at the same time.

It not only is the best DC movie, it's also one of the best superhero movies I've seen.

Old school fun with no overuse of jokes, no connected universe shit and actual stakes. Such a refreshing experience.

Her first introduction as Wonder Woman (when she saves the town) is now automatically one of my favorite scenes in a superhero movie ever.

Inspiring, heroic, badass. That's what a fucking superhero is, not a depressed murderer.

For all I care Jenkins can overtake the reigns and Snyder can stop making DC movies forever.

I'm sure she can make an even better movie now that she doesn't have to tell the origin with a subpar shitty first act.

I wish they'd release a 'unextended cut' where the beginning is cut in half tho.

I also wish Wonder Woman would be the role model for little girls and teens from now on instead of Kardashians and similar talentless trash. They're both fictional anyways. Let them want to make the world a better place instead of making snapchat selfies and twerk their asses.

I agree with this. I really like the third act. I've seen the movie 3 times now and the 3rd act is much better than a ton of other ones in superhero movies.
Ares was actually pretty cool even though a lot of people can't get over his mustache, his voice was great ( Got really hyped when Diana was raging with flames all around and he was like "Yess Diana") I only wished she raged for a little while longer and maybe flirted with joining him just a little bit. Most superhero movies I've seen had CGI fests at the end but none that I can remember had as much real emotion I was invested in. Loved it.

While I wouldn't say the first act is bad like you, I think the movie only gets better as it moves on from it. I love the whole movie it was really great and easily in my top superhero movies ever now even with the few nitpicks you could point out in it.

Just got back from it.

Amazing movie. So entertaining - 2 spotty cgi bits in there but otherwise it was pretty great. Everytime the camera trained itself on Gal Gadot, it was mesmerising. she was great as WW. That wide eyed wonder in her expression.

enjoyed the third act too.

My only quibble was chris pine dying. He could have flown that plane into the ocean. I mean, its trajectory was flying over to london, so he could have flown it there and escaped alive.

Gal Gadot is perfectly cast. I thought her accent was a bit gibberish in BVS and hard to comprehend but I think this time round, either i got used to it or they voice coached her.

9/10.

Bluraying this.

If he flies it into the ocean, doesn't he still die?

Safer to blow it up.

Well, he COULD set it to fly into the ocean, then jump out at the last second and swim back to shore....right?

Also: i just got back from seeing this and it delivered, not the most amazing superhero movie i have ever seen but... it was great, nothing more nothing less.

Apt101

I watched it for the second time tonight, just as good on a second viewing. Still amazing how powerful she really is. It should be her going toe-to-toe with Darkseid super saiyan style and not Superman (but we know it will be Superman).

Apt101

Just came from the theaters...i liked it so much. It was my first DCU film and now I'm curious about the rest.

Just stick with Wonder Woman. You'll be baffled that the others were actually produced and partially written by some of the same creators.

deleted

You're misreading the ending. As Ignatz mentioned earlier, "she's as much moved by his sacrifice than by personal feelings. And she doesn't Hulk out for "revenge" when he dies-- she does so because his sacrifice has convinced her that humanity is worth fighting for."

As for the chemistry and relationship between Gadot and Pine, that's certainly a matter of opinion, though you'd be in the minority on this one. :)

Finally saw the movie.

Maybe I'm slightly in the wrong here, but I read the end a little different.

Ares tries to convince WW that humanity doesn't deserve to exist, flawed as they are. WW is at a point where she might buy into his nonsense, because she has seen the flaws and agrees to some extent. She begins slaughtering the Germans and only stops when she realizes, what Steve had done and his motivations became clear to her.
For a second she wasn't the hero she was for the rest of the movie, she didn't act against Ares, she leashed out against the German soldiers conflicted by her emotions towards humanity as a whole.

The fight against Ares as a whole was done way better than most other comic books finales. Despite being big and a CGI fest, it's only indirectly about the state of the world. It's still somewhat personal and set up well over the course of the film.
I also liked that they go all out mythologically - it could have been way more toned down in that regard.
And the fact that it was based in mythology and not an Alien or Mutant thread or a science mistake - it was gods bashing their heads in. It fit the destruction way better than e.g. the destruction in Guardians 2 where a similar fight is somewhat pulled out of thin air.

Overall I liked the movie way more than anticipated. It's definitely up there with the best Comic book movies. I didn't expect this out of a movies that has to play in the rules set by the DCEU.

DrBo42

Thought Gadot was surprisingly great. Pine was pretty good too. Other sidekicks fell completely flat for me and Ares fight was borderline garbage. I get it needed to deliver that "Some people are just bad, Diana." idea but I felt like it should have been done without a bloated and poor action sequence. Overall pretty good, nice to see humor in a DC movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Finally saw the movie.

Ares tries to convince WW that humanity doesn't deserve to exist, flawed as they are. WW is at a point where she might buy into his nonsense, because she has seen the flaws and agrees to some extent. She begins slaughtering the Germans and only stops when she realizes, what Steve had done and his motivations became clear to her.
For a second she wasn't the hero she was for the rest of the movie, she didn't act against Ares, she leashed out against the German soldiers conflicted by her emotions towards humanity as a whole.

The fight against Ares as a whole was done way better than most other comic books finales. Despite being big and a CGI fest, it's only indirectly about the state of the world. It's still somewhat personal and set up well over the course of the film.
I also liked that they go all out mythologically - it could have been way more toned down in that regard.
And the fact that it was based in mythology and not an Alien or Mutant thread or a science mistake - it was gods bashing their heads in. It fit the destruction way better than e.g. the destruction in Guardians 2 where a similar fight is somewhat pulled out of thin air.

Overall I liked the movie way more than anticipated. It's definitely up there with the best Comic book movies. I didn't expect this out of a movies that has to play in the rules set by the DCEU.

I have similar feelings about the ending. The spectacle is secondary to the drama of what's happening with Diana's character, and what Ares is telling her. I mean David Thewlis' performance is fine up until he's wearing armor and is threatening her with the "I WILL DESTROY YOUUUU" nonsense lines, and most of that flash is just that. But the stuff that's actually character-relevant plays just as strongly as the rest of the movie, and so calling the third act "garbage" seems to be missing the point.

Apt101

I was poking around BoxOfficeMojo, and it looks like all WW just needs another $12m weekend and it will outgross BvS domestically (this past weekend was $25m).

I wonder how much they're going to be altering marketing. I noticed they were quick to announce Hippolyta and Antiope were going to be in Justice League this week. Not Alfred, Lois Lane, some Suicide Squad character(s) - no, "those two warrior women from the film of ours you people finally liked".

Movie covered it. He was worried he would get shot down but both sides and game over for 50 square miles.

I guess I must have missed that. Makes sense from that angle then.

either way, its a gas based toxin. If it he think he's gonna get shot down, how is that any different from what happened to him in the air? Pine's character didn't have to die. But they needed a moment to trigger Diana so... woops.

probably the only sort plot quibble from me.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I was poking around BoxOfficeMojo, and it looks like all WW just needs another $12m weekend and it will outgross BvS domestically (this past weekend was $25m).

I wonder how much they're going to be altering marketing. I noticed they were quick to announce Hippolyta and Antiope were going to be in Justice League this week. Not Alfred, Lois Lane, some Suicide Squad character(s) - no, "those two warrior women from the film of ours you people finally liked".

I mean... Lois was already in the marketing for Justice League.

kmag

Movie covered it. He was worried he would get shot down but both sides and game over for 50 square miles.

It didn't really, flying straight up doesn't actually resolve the 50 sq mile issue. Mustard gas (which wasn't a gas btw more a fine mist) was heavier than air. Blowing it up at 20,000 ft would be little different to blowing it up at ground level.

It's not a deal breaker but there's plenty of holes in the concocted sacrifice story, which aren't easily fanwanked away. I mean the whole 'science' behind the hydrogen mustard gas (which was already pretty much hydrogen based) was just comic book nonsense anyway.

Vengal

Enjoyed the movie alot, wife also had a great time with it.

Only complaint would probably be the final fight. I prefer my wonder woman to be almost purely martial and did not dig the bracer banging sending off vague shockwaves. Had no issue with the lightning I felt that was fitting but the bracer thing just felt odd? I'm not a wonder woman expert by any means but I can't recall a time I've seen her straight up use magic in the manner the bracer attack functioned. It was not visually appealing to me and just seemed really lame. Would have rather he have out fought Ares physically or using her weapons.

Finally saw the movie.

You know, you're likely right now that I think back on it. Thanks for sharing!

Nev

Banned
What I liked the most about this is the fact that it isn't ashamed of being a comic.

The whole thing felt just like reading a good old adventure. The story, the arcs, the main characters, the villains, the action. An actual straightforward comic superhero movie is so good to have after so long.

Firemind

Finally got around watching this because I have been sick for a week and I'm still sick so I'll keep my thoughts short.

I thought the first half hour set up the film well enough, especially the painting-like animation reel of the Gods, men and Amazons. I had a hunch this version of Diana wasn't made of clay, but it was nice there was a sense of mystery of her origin. They even addressed how the Amazons can speak English. Amazing. And come on, Double Toasted, kid Diana is not the worst part of the film.

The supporting cast, even if a bit underdeveloped, was fantastic. Etta is my favourite. It's amazing they made her look so short next to Gal lol. Diana and Steve's chemistry was great, but I thought they could have had a bit more dialogue together. I know they had to keep the pace going, but I thought it was a little weird they fell asleep in the sailing boat and arrived in London the next day lol.

Now onto the villains... They were fine for the most part. That scene of them gassing the German high command was too much though. They could have cut that scene out. And that perfume that bestows superhuman strength... LOL. At least use an injection. More importantly, Ares. I thought the reveal was done okay, but the editing was so bad. At one point Diana wanted to confront him, forgot she doesn't have the Godkiller, scene cuts to Steve I believe and suddenly Diana has the sword in her hand lol. Then when she's trapped in metal, Steve sacrifices himself, she breaks free and the first thing she does is target her anger towards those poor German soldiers instead of Ares, while he tries to goad her on to join the dark side. This isn't believable at all, because we as the audience know Steve didn't get killed by those German soldiers. He blew it up himself because he believed that was the right thing to do. You get this sense of fake drama where the only logical step was for Diana to kill Ares. There was no hesitation from me as a viewer. Ares talking shit was pointless. Then came the flashback to show us what Steve said to Diana before he boards the plane. At first she didn't hear what he said and now she remembers it to reaffirm her beliefs, but she never truly wavered. It's bad editing to create drama that completely didn't work for me. Diana is Diana. Again, Ares shouldn't have opened his mouth. Once Diana refuses his offer, they should just fight to the death.

Sorry, post was longer than I thought it would be. I liked the film a lot, but it should have been tighter, while showing more character moments.

Nev

Banned
'It could've been tighter' is how I'd summarize my issues with the movie. Themyscira should've been quite a bit shorter, and my god, the unending boat scene too.

The downtime scenes could've been distributed better, all in all.

Emwitus

So the movie yesterday,
Overall I enjoyed it.

Thought Gal was great as Wonder Woman, the chemistry between her and Steve were good. Definitely, the best of the DCU and this movie really had hart.

My main problem with the movie was the action scenes, they weren't bad but they overused slow motion too much which can be really jarring when done together with CGI, it really pulled me out of the movie which rarely happens for me.

Wait, what??!!
url

Nothing in the MCU beats this part (Civil war is good tho) followed by the run on the roof top. Heck that whole fight started here:

Wonder-Woman-trench.gif

Say what you will about the slow-mo, they used it well.

Nev

Banned
No Man's Land scene singlehandedly made the film worth it for me. One of the best, most badass and inspiring scenes ever in a superhero movie.

Top Bottom