• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

Wagram

I gave up to be honest. I have around 80 Platinums, but one day I simply realized that killing enemies with 3 punches, a headshot, and a grenade in 5 seconds isn't expanding my gameplay horizons. It's time wasting and I want to spend my time doing something else.

It's certainly a do it if I want to attitude these days.

Vire

What purpose does it realistically serve? Just ask yourself, is this going to help me with my resume? Can I put this on my dating profile?

No one in this world gives a shit that you have a high gamerscore. It took me too long to understand this.

I started enjoying games more and playing only the amount that I wanted to play rather than needlessly collecting 400 flags in Assassin's Creed. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you aren't wasting your time with this shit.

I platinumed 3,4, and dead souls. I think a big problem that i failed to mention was that I went right into 5 after dead souls. Im burned out on yakuza from the beginning here.

Definitevely. I got burned at Bethesda games after Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Never properly played Skyrim or even bought Fallout 4. Play something else?

Xyber

Achievements was a fun thing for a few years with the 360, I hit 50k and then decided to just don't care about them anymore. Playing games suddenly became a lot more fun again when I wasn't focusing on doing dumb shit to raise a number on my profile.

Richie

Imagine GAF had achievements. Would you post in communities you don't give a hoot about just for an achievement? What about the "get banned during E3" achievement? "One post per year" achievement?

Let us not even imagine if Real Life had random grindy achievements...

Alecs27

Neo Member
I have 23 platinums but I did them only if I liked the game or if it wasn't frustrating to do. I don't think you have to complete the game at 100% to enjoy it, just ignore the trophies, it's not that hard.

einer51

For me they are a list of Jpegs attached to game conditions. I'm replaying Persona 4 G to get the true ending, not because I care about a platinum Jpeg on my account but because I want to revisit story elements and see further reveals at the game's end.

Think about all the time and enjoyable new game experiences you could have if you stopped putting value in this system.

You can do it!

My mind can't even begin to process what's written in the OP and I'm really glad for that.
Getting to the point of letting these things completely destroy your enjoyment of games instead of just ignoring them, it just doesn't compute.
I've been gaming for 30 years and this obsession with these pop-up notifications is the most bizarre thing I've seen in the medium. I get pursuing a challenge if it's fun for you, but this? Self inflicted torture for absolutely no reason.

CEJames

I used to care just enough to 100%/platinum games I considered to be my favorites as a show of "support", but now I pretty much ignore them altogether. The Switch not having them doesn't bother me a single bit!

Buying the game is support but achieving everything possible that the developer put into the game is also support. I'm pretty sure they can check achievement data for future titles if they wanted. Hence why some games give you a little something like Horizon Zero Dawn giving you a platinum theme for doing everything.

BadWolf

I never, ever bother with them.

I know for a fact that they would make me hate games I love.

I'd rather just return to a game for a playthrough here and there instead of wasting hours grinding out some pointless trophy.

turning off notifications on PS4 for trophies was a good idea for me. I don't care about them in long run, they might be fun to look at for multiple playthroughs but thats it. Only time I see them is that bar when I'm choosing my game.

Same for steam.

I don't think i've ever seriously achievement hunted, in all my years of 360/ps3/ps4 gaming. Given that 9/10ths of game give you no real reason to, I just play to finish, and that's it.

To start off, yes I play every game that I have to completion,unless it is not possible with discontinued things (ill get to that later).I cannot even remember the last time I had fun playing a video game.

The first game I have dug into is Yakuza 5. Last time I played it my save file was over 230 hours long and I am not even halfway to the platinum I would say, Every session I play of it is extremely boring repetitive trash, because I am going for all the trophies.

The next game is cuphead. Yeah, havent played this since launch because it was difficult and I wasnt proceeding till i got A ranks on every boss. Dont even know when I will get back to that. Although, I would much rather go play this than what im currently playing....

...motherfucking overwatch. I have never seen such an archaic achievement system in my life. How in the fuck are you going to have timed achievements that go away after a few weeks and can never be gotten again(the junkenstein ones are not obtainable from last year). Whats worst about this is that PS4 does not get timed trophies, in fact they only recently got the character trophies that xbox has gotten at each character launch. Why are they fucking over xbox users when xbox literally has a feature built in for this exact thing: CHALLENGES. Why is xbox getting these achievements when they are nowhere else? I have been playing this every night since it started trying to get them done to remain at 100%, it is misery.

I know there are bigger things to complain about, but fuck man. I have ruined video games for myself by being such an achievement/trophy whore. How the fuck do people break this addiction. I want off this ride.

I can give you one advice since I was like you once. First trophies/achievements were fun cause they were new, then they became addiction and after that it was obsession, after that games were not fun anymore and felt like a fucking job. After a few years of constant achievement/trophy hunt/grind I said fuck it and I gave it up. The question I asked myself was "Why do I care?" I could not find the answer for it and felt like complete moron.

So yeah, since I gave this shit up the games are fun again, backlog is shrinking in lighting speed and I don't feel any pressure and I don't have to do things I don't want to in games anymore.

Trust me, the day you will drop this you will feel reborn and games will be awesome again. Just block the notifications, don't check the trophy/achievements lists and block trophies/achievements so others can't see yours if this is what drive you to do them and from there should be easy.

For me Nintendo WiiU was a perfect cure but I would suggest to play any Nintendo console for some time and you will see how awesome it is when games don't have shit like trophies/achievements.

Good luck and all the best to you!!!!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds awful OP. Turn notifications off and don't look them up online. Start slow: pick a game with a short 6-8 hour campaign. Play it with notifications off, beat the campaign, then move on to another game. Pick another short game, beat it, and move on. Do this a few times and you'll start building a new habit.

Edit: Also as others have mentioned, the Switch doesn't have achievements, but I don't actually think that'll help you because you'll be addicted to them as soon as you return to a system that has them. I think it's best for you to overcome them on a system with achievements or you'll always live in fear of them.

Atuin

The addiction to trophies might be too strong to just "stop caring" in the games you're currently playing. Uninstall them, get new games (maybe even a new account), turn off notifications and imagine your new games are without trophies. Make not caring about trophies a trophy in your head. Think how cool it will be when you finish a game without even looking at trophies and you can brag about it here. At this point it'll be a greater achievement for you in real life than any platinum trophies.

I was unhappy about wasting my money on tf2 crates so I imagined my Hearthstone and Overwatch versions didn't have lootboxes at all. Reaching legend in HS without spending a single cent felt better than anything I would have found in those lootboxes. You can do it.

Warablo

The biggest incentive for me now with achievements, is if it has cool background art. So I can use it as my console background. It sucks when they don't have them.

Froxenblade

Neo Member
I wholeheartedly echo the sentiment that video game achievements were a mistake. Even as someone who has come to ignore them (for the most part) I would still enjoy the game more if they weren't there, buried, waiting for me to unlock them. It's one of the reasons I play everything on PC when I can (I've never been even slightly interested in Steam/Origin achievements because they go out of their way to make them meaningless). Also, it's one of the things I've come to appreciate about Nintendo and gives me another reason to play something on Switch as opposed to PS4, for example. To be fair, Nintendo not having achievements can be attributed to their incredible lack of industry awareness, and not a conscious decision, but in this case it works out.

Fortunately, I don't feel compelled to Platinum/get all the achievements in every game I play like the OP, but I do have that nagging itch in the back of my brain when I see a low "completion percentage" for a game I've played on my PS4 trophies page, or in the Xbox One achievements section. For me, before I start a game I always, always look at the trophy/achievement list. If it looks relatively easy, I'll keep that in mind and often consult a guide while playing if there are missable trophies/achievements. Usually the guide is for collectibles, another video game mistake, but that's a different thread. If the list looks too involved/difficult I just go about playing the game normally. It's very bizarre, I know. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to take that extra step out of my own way and just not think about trophies/achievements when I'm playing anything, but it's a weird psychological compulsion that always has me at least look up the list before playing.

No one gives a shit if you have a certain trophy or not, whether you are on PC or console, besides sad people. If the individual user wants to get achievements/trophies using the provided information, more power to them.

Oh for fucks sake. Someone being interested in collecting and comparing trophies/achievements is not "sad". Much like other hobbies, some people have fun doing so. The only pathetic thing here is calling people who do something you don't enjoy "sad". Grow up.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh for fucks sake. Someone being interested in collecting and comparing trophies/achievements is not "sad". Much like other hobbies, some people have fun doing so. The only pathetic thing here is calling people who do something you don't enjoy "sad". Grow up.
You seem to misunderstand what I am saying, people who care about what trophy YOU may or may not have are sad, basically when they use it as a digital dick measuring contest.

Caring about your own trophies is just fine.

TYRiAX

OP, for single player games like Yakuza I would focus on just straight beating the games first, then Delete/Sell/Archive it straight away to try and force you to move to the next game asap.

For me just disabling notifications is good enough but it would be great if all platform holders could implement their own global "opt out" switch to help the more obsessive people.

Meowster

This didn’t used to be me but it is me now. Only I’m not entirely miserable but I feel this weird obsessive urge to platinum something I really like. In older days, I would just replay games over and over. Now I just get the platinum and then probably never play the game again lol.

I never care about trophies in my first playthrough. The first playthrough is always me playing the game however I want and just enjoying it.

After that if I like a game a lot I look at the trophy list and if I think it sounds doable or fun then I go for the trophies (the only exception are Musou games). Right now I'm trying to get the Platinum for Uncharted Lost Legacy and I'm just two trophies away from achieving that.

Don't play the game for trophies OP. Go for the trophies if you had a lot of fun with the game after your first playthrough.

knkng

I will usually take a peek at the trophy list on Playstation games, but I generally just ignore them. The only game I ever got platinum on was Katamari Forever, but that was just a natural thing. I also got 100% on Katamari Damacy PS2, without a single trophy in sight. Back in the good ol' days when you would do things in a game just for the fun of it.

Overall, I don't really have an issue with achievements that reward levels of completion. If you really love a game then you should be getting those naturally. What really irks me is the time-waster crap. Danganronpa 2 has a trophy for walking a certain distance, but you will never walk that far during natural gameplay. So I guess you're just supposed to walk aimlessly around the map to obtain it? Stuff like that is nonsense.

Dreavus

It's cliche but I'd recommend just letting it go. Turn off notifications if it's bothering you.

I never care about trophies in my first playthrough. The first playthrough is always me playing the game however I want and just enjoying it.

After that if I like a game a lot I look at the trophy list and if I think it sounds doable or fun then I go for the trophies (the only exception are Musou games). Right now I'm trying to get the Platinum for Uncharted Lost Legacy and I'm just two trophies away from achieving that.

Don't play the game for trophies OP. Go for the trophies if you had a lot of fun with the game after your first playthrough.

Great advice here too. It's a fun way to get more out of a game after playing through it.

Kawika

every Switch game I play feels empty without them. I hit a hole-in-one in Golf Story and expected a cool achievement to pop, and then remembered I was playing on a Nintendo console.

I like how Shovel Knight did trophies in its own game but I don't care for trophies/achievements for some gamer score.

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.

I actually love that switch tracks when you played and how long. Honestly, if there was a check mark for beating the game that might be the only thing i'd care about. Cool, I beat it. Moving on.

That said, I did recently platinum Horizon Zero Dawn because I didn't want it to end and wanted something to artificially keep me engaged.

Turn disable trophy/ achievement notifications and forget they exist.

In the past I found myself playing a game then I get into an achievement craze for it and then other games.

I think it's because I see 12% achievements completed once I've finished a campaign or something and think "Well fuck, I need to finish more". But it is finished. The extra shit is just hours of farming for points... I could be playing something else with that time.

Skade

Too busy collecting Steam cards to worry about the achievements the system also has, I suppose.

The only point for the steam cards to me is selling them on the market so i can make some free bucks to use during sales...

It may be because i almost only play solo but i have no use for these things. Same for achievements. Why should i bother doing them if i don't find them fun ? Who will care ? Not me. And i don't give a fuck if someone else want's me do to them all.

So i don't know what to say to the OP... Start playing just for yourself maybe ?

Nottle

DHdepX8XUAAODTs.jpg

Just... let it go.

You can enjoy games without being a completionist. Engage with mechanics without aiming for perfection. I had the same problem and it makes the game more fun.

MKIL65

I gotta admit, I just bought Wolfenstein: The Old Blood in the current PSN sale, mainly to Platinum it.

Since I already platinum'd The New Order, It would feel odd not to platinum The Old Blood too!

Violet_0

Banned
normally, boredom should eventually overwrite whatever drive you have to put hundreds of hours of your life into something you don't even like or get anything out of. Not even bragging rights, because frankly nobody but you cares about your score

RevenWolf

I've never platinumed a game ever in my life.

Part of the reason is that I feel most achievements are pretty much trash in terms of what they ask you to do. Alot of them are just "collect all xxx" or "kill so many xxx" or "beat the game on masochist difficulty!".

The only achievements I ever bother with is if i notice an interesting one that compels me to play in a manner that I never considered/tried before. I feel those types are actually good because they help you get more value out of the game, and give you new things to do/try that you otherwise would not have.

IrishNinja

I platinumed 3,4, and dead souls. I think a big problem that i failed to mention was that I went right into 5 after dead souls. Im burned out on yakuza from the beginning here.

my dude
if there's one series you should enjoy and not make a chore of, this is it!

Top Bottom