• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

To start off, yes I play every game that I have to completion,unless it is not possible with discontinued things (ill get to that later).I cannot even remember the last time I had fun playing a video game.

The first game I have dug into is Yakuza 5. Last time I played it my save file was over 230 hours long and I am not even halfway to the platinum I would say, Every session I play of it is extremely boring repetitive trash, because I am going for all the trophies.

The next game is cuphead. Yeah, havent played this since launch because it was difficult and I wasnt proceeding till i got A ranks on every boss. Dont even know when I will get back to that. Although, I would much rather go play this than what im currently playing....

...motherfucking overwatch. I have never seen such an archaic achievement system in my life. How in the fuck are you going to have timed achievements that go away after a few weeks and can never be gotten again(the junkenstein ones are not obtainable from last year). Whats worst about this is that PS4 does not get timed trophies, in fact they only recently got the character trophies that xbox has gotten at each character launch. Why are they fucking over xbox users when xbox literally has a feature built in for this exact thing: CHALLENGES. Why is xbox getting these achievements when they are nowhere else? I have been playing this every night since it started trying to get them done to remain at 100%, it is misery.

I know there are bigger things to complain about, but fuck man. I have ruined video games for myself by being such an achievement/trophy whore. How the fuck do people break this addiction. I want off this ride.

Op... I don't have a single platinum trophy. It's completely possible to play these games without doing so. And yes, I've beaten quite a number of titles, it's not just passing fancy. Just pretend they aren't there. I think on PS4 you can even turn off their announcement.

HotHamBoy

I never understood the need to get achievements and trophies and I think it's weird.

Like, who cares how many platinum trophies someone has?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Turn off notifications and never check the trophies.

Op... I don't have a single platinum trophy. It's completely possible to play these games without doing so. And yes, I've beaten quite a number of titles, it's not just passing fancy.

Same

Bulzeeb

I cant relate since I've never get an achievement unless it has some kind of in game reward, for example, I was able to get my Hollow Knight file to 100% and it gave me lots of achievements, but there is no way I am doing the steel soul run

...motherfucking overwatch. I have never seen such an archaic achievement system in my life. How in the fuck are you going to have timed achievements that go away after a few weeks and can never be gotten again(the junkenstein ones are not obtainable from last year). Whats worst about this is that PS4 does not get timed trophies, in fact they only recently got the character trophies that xbox has gotten at each character launch. Why are they fucking over xbox users when xbox literally has a feature built in for this exact thing: CHALLENGES. Why is xbox getting these achievements when they are nowhere else? I have been playing this every night since it started trying to get them done to remain at 100%, it is misery.

What are you talking about? You mean like "get 4 kills with Reaper's ultimate" type achievements? Those have been there since launch on PS4.

Anyway, you should turn off notifications for achievements/trophies. Maybe move to platforms where they're not as visible (PC, Switch) if it bothers you that much?

I cant relate since I've never get an achievement unless it has some kind of in game reward, for example, I was able to get my Hollow Knight file to 100% and it gave me lots of achievements, but there is no way I am doing the steel soul run

the timed overwatch achievements have in game rewards

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's funny how putting a number next to the game made everyone with obsessive tendencies freak out.

painey

every Switch game I play feels empty without them. I hit a hole-in-one in Golf Story and expected a cool achievement to pop, and then remembered I was playing on a Nintendo console.

What are you talking about? You mean like "get 4 kills with Reaper's ultimate" type achievements? Those have been there since launch on PS4.

Anyway, you should turn off notifications for achievements/trophies. Maybe move to platforms where there not as visible (PC, Switch) if it bothers you that much?

the character dlc trophies. They released a pack of trophies on ps4, after a few characters were already out. On xbox, we have been getting them day 1 when characters launch

I could be mistaken, but i dont think ps4 even has the doom fist trophies

AmuroChan

I use two accounts each for PS and Xbox. One for games that I want to go for 100% / Platinum. The other for games that I just want to try or know I'll never 100%.

Van Bur3n

One day, I was looking at my achievements and thought to myself "why do I care about this crap". When I couldn't think of a good answer, I then decided to just play games without caring.

It's quite nice.

Nori Chan

No one gives a shit on consoles either.

lol ok

We have achievements/trophy websites dedicated to sites, actual leaderboards on consoles, reward system dedicated to them, features in OS that provide help for them, etc.

but no one gives a shit about them

Aeana

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.

Avallon

You seem to have identified your problem.

If you're not having fun, move on to something else.

I like getting platinum trophies as much as the next guy, but if it's too much of grind to do so, I just don't go for it for that title.

My most recent example is Danganronpa V3. The core game and story were fan-fucking-tastic, but post game trophies were too much of a grind, so I moved on.

I actually do have a gaming pc as well, although when I play games on it I find it hard to care because I am not working towards achievements(that I care about) or trophies.

Its a whole fucked up thing I have going.

Dolobill

Anyway, you should turn off notifications for achievements/trophies. Maybe move to platforms where there not as visible (PC, Switch) if it bothers you that much?

This. I stopped giving a shit about all forms of achievements after I moved to these platforms.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
y8Ea8jB.gif

Seriously tho, I do understand, I was there once, buying shitty games for easy Platinums, then I started playing on PC again and realized, wait, games are more fun this way, who the fuck cares about my Platinums?!

Okay OP I was like you once. I have 170,000 gamerscore all from the 360 days.

First, do not look up the lists before playing a game. When you get a trophy or achievement, just think "cool" and move on. Cut the knowledge of what the achievements even are right out.

If you can't do this, you need to turn the notifications off. Go turn them off, and leave them off.

You're ruining games for yourself just like I was. I'm promising you that turning them off with re-ignite a love for this hobby in you.

In cases where you beat a game and genuinely like it enough to want to keep playing, THEN you are allowed to look at the achievement list. Then you can go for the 100% But if it's not fun anymore you need to stop.

Life is too short to spend 100+ hours 100%-ing a game you don't even like. Really think about the time that takes and what you're giving up by spending it that way.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
lol ok

We have achievements/trophy websites dedicated to sites, actual leaderboards on consoles, reward system dedicated to them, features in OS that provide help for them, etc.

No one gives a shit if you have a certain trophy or not, whether you are on PC or console, besides sad people. If the individual user wants to get achievements/trophies using the provided information, more power to them.

Big0Bear

I love trophies but if I think it will take too much time or not be fun I pass on it. It's s nice little extra for me

Zee-Row

Banned
They briefly ruined my enjoyment of video games because I felt I had to get them all. As it turns out nobody gives a shit if I have 1 trophy or a platinum trophy. Just ignore them and play the game however you want.

Van Bur3n

lol ok

The easy answer to this is that there are people that care about achievements, regardless of platform. But ultimately, the majority do not.

SephLuis

I like to go after trophies in games I really like and when they aren't boring things to do.

For example, my last Platinum trophy was Wipeout Omega Collection because I love that game and the trophies gave me more reasons to keep playing.

If it's not fun for you, why bother with them. Go play something classic that doesn't have this and have some fun again.

vg260

Most achievements are just busy-work checklists anyway and solely functions of time and therefore meaningless.
Play more games instead.

gogosox82

I don't think I've ever cared about trophies. Only have two platinums and one of them was the walking dead season 1 which shouldn't even count since you get it for basically playing through the game.

MrNelson

Banned
the character dlc trophies. They released a pack of trophies on ps4, after a few characters were already out. On xbox, we have been getting them day 1 when characters launch

They've gotten them with each character update, as the characters have released. I don't know where you got this idea that they suddenly just now got them.

On topic, the only thing ruining games for you is yourself. You're the one making the decision to pursue the trophies/achievements, no one is forcing you to do it. I don't know what else to tell you.

I'm 99% sure those trophies got added when the characters did.

And yes, PS4 does have the Doomfist trophies.

Sounds like a shitty life, I don't envy you.

So basically you don't wanna play a game if you aren't chasing achievements and trophies, but you aren't having fun doing it either?

I like achievements and trophies but I only go after the ones that present an actual fun challenge and not the grindy ones. Why not do that?

Koopatrol

I love trophies, but at the same time it's not like you have to care about them. But I know that's easier said than done for some people.

Just think: what do you care about more? Actually enjoying the game and creating a memorable experience, or having a potentially amazing game ruined by caring about things that really don't matter at all? Is it worth it to take the enjoyment out of a game just so you can get all trophies, or any trophy for that matter?

I know I care about the experience I have with the game first and foremost. That being said, if someone likes to play games just to get trophies and has fun doing so, that's also fine. Point of it being, play how you want to play OP.

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.
Pretty much. Getting a star is the achievement to me. AKA playing the game and enjoying it for what it is.

When I get achievements on xbox now I just be like “Oh OK”

I beat a boss in cup head *achievement unlocked*

Yeah but I’m supposed to do that, thats why you playing the game to beat the bosses and levels not to get the achievement. Its pointless

Top Bottom