• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

Arulan

I have a friend who went through this during the Xbox 360. The obsession was damaging his life and enjoyment for the medium. He wouldn't add games he wanted to play to his profile because of the fear he wouldn't complete it. He'd spend months grinding out achievements involving killing thousands of enemies. He'd buy terrible games where he could earn an easy 1000 points. I think the change of (console) generation helped reset something for him, and he realized how much time he wasted on certain achievements.

Try playing on PC and/or pre-achievement consoles for a while.

Crayolan

You have a problem. Maybe try playing short games where any% and 100% aren't very different. Or maybe try older games/Nintendo games without achievements.

DJwest

Op... I don't have a single platinum trophy. It's completely possible to play these games without doing so. And yes, I've beaten quite a number of titles, it's not just passing fancy. Just pretend they aren't there. I think on PS4 you can even turn off their announcement.
I have more than a thousand trophies and only one platinum lol. And that was a platinum for finishing the game (Telltale Batman season 1)

I used to not care at all about trophies/cheevos, but somewhere along the way a switch was flipped in my head and now I try to 100% what I can.

"What I can" being the key here.

If I look at a trophy list and decide it's too time consuming or difficult to bother with, I'll move on to something else after beating the game. Sticking a bunch of trophies that require insane amounts of grinding is the fastest way to make me NOPE.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Stop being so obsessive about them. Cheevos should be here to enhance your gaming experiance and not to be the sole purpose of it...

Ever since I started using them as enhancement only I fell in love with the system all over again. Took me 3 months to get the Platinum on Crash for instance. Could I have done it faster? Sure, but then I would probably be the one writing this thread.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I enjoy unlocking trophies but don't obsess over them. The most important thing is to have fun with a game.

bosseye

The only achievement I can recall that actually felt like I'd achieved something was 'Little Rocket Man' from Half Life 2 Episode 2, where you have to transport a gnome through essentially the entire game and put him in the rocket at the end. For 50G.

I did my fair share of achievement hunting on 360 but it was fairly obvious most of them were just busywork and when they stopped being fun to do or they made the game not fun then I stopped bothering with them. My gamerscore was just an arbitrary number that meant nothing.

Haven't bothered at all on PS4, don't have a single platinum and frankly I don't really intend to either unless it comes up naturally during play. Couldn't give less of a shit about trophies/achievements these days.

Hjod

Banned
I used to be like you OP, it still haunts me some times. I remember playing open world games, opening the map and seeing all the collectibles, it was not a matter of trophies really, more of collecting every thing that was collectible. And it ruined games for me for a while, even to this day I feel this itch to pick up everything, discover everything, and it sucks. But it's gotten better, the only game I complete to 100% now a days are games that have a easy platinum and I enjoy completing them.

I've beaten countless games, I start with the mindset of going for 100%, but as soon as I get bored doing that I stop and go for the finish instead. As soon as I've completed the game I don't really care about trophies anymore.

I feel you OP--i complete everything I touch and get OCD about it....
Although I usually have fun playing the games I play--usually stick to single player experiences bc that's what I enjoy. I can see how multiplayer trophies/achievements could be extremely frustrating to the point of exhaustion.
Maybe you should make one account where you focus on completion for single player experiences you can control and a separate for multiplayer games you just want to play for fun?

Teeth

As the person who basically came up with the Achievements for Cuphead...

...just...play the game. Use cheats or hacks or whatever and just give yourself all the achievements so you don't have to worry about actually getting them and then just play the game for fun.

Hardvlade

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.

This is probably the best advice. I used be an achievement whore as well, started playing games for the Wii U and stopped caring about hitting 100% on them. I'll occasionally take a look at them, but don't stop me anymore from moving onto the next game. I'm at 113k on Xbox =P

I'm also glad I stopped doing so because sometimes I would stop playing fun games just because I hit 100% on them.

...just...play the game. Use cheats or hacks or whatever and just give yourself all the achievements so you don't have to worry about actually getting them and then just play the game for fun.

You're evil, defeating King Dice with no hits sucks haha, specially for 0G.

not possible on xbox.

Oh and is there a reason for the 0 g achievements?

UKUMI0

Honestly, for me the best type of Achievements are the ones that are goal oriented, especially in open world sand box games as they give me objectives to work towards. I hate the ones where you just unlock them by playing the game normally like an achievement for beating boss 1, 2 & 3.

120v

cheevos are essentially little easter eggs. i could understand having a handful of games you'd want to plat but i think you need to get a grip, to be completely honest

Poona

Op... I don't have a single platinum trophy. It's completely possible to play these games without doing so.

I don't have a single PS4 platinum trophy, nor do I have all trophies from XBOX games.

Yet the lack of a system wide trophy/achievement system on the Switch has been a major reason I don't have one yet. I just like having records of when I first did things and like seeing what others have done compared to me.

I love them but only in certain games. Would never bother if I wasn't enjoying them. Some great implementations, some terrible.

Going for for trophies in minecraft at the moment and it's lots of fun.

XaosWolf

I like going for those rare reasonable Platinum trophies. (Most recently the Crash Trilogy) But for the most part I don't care at all. If there's a completion percentage on a save file that's good enough to satisfy the completionist part of me.

I will say the worst trophy lists are those that are predominantly single player but then have some multiplayer-based achievements shitting up the place. Lookin' at you, DOOM. >=/

Shadio

How in the fuck are you going to have timed achievements that go away after a few weeks and can never be gotten again(the junkenstein ones are not obtainable from last year). Whats worst about this is that PS4 does not get timed trophies, in fact they only recently got the character trophies that xbox has gotten at each character launch. Why are they fucking over xbox users when xbox literally has a feature built in for this exact thing: CHALLENGES. Why is xbox getting these achievements when they are nowhere else?

PSN's trophy guidelines don't allow this sort of thing. Trophies always need to be obtainable, up until the game's servers go down.

I'm glad because I started last week and I too play all my games to completion. Only getting a few weeks per year to try these difficult achievements sounds like a hassle. Though Doomfist's Cratered is still complete nonsense.

Plainsong

No platinums here either. I turn all notifications off when I can. Switch has been perfect. I just play and have fun. If it wasn't fun I'd do something else.

Teeth

not possible on xbox.

Oh and is there a reason for the 0 g achievements?

Specifically done so that people can get 1000pts without having to do the zanier achievements.

I tried to make them as non-obnoxious as possible. I easily could have put in multiplayer achievements, achievements for dying, achievements for S-ranking every Isle, achievements for beating a boss in less than a minute...all kinds of extremely difficult things.

I wanted to have the mini-plane one because it's totally doable and kind of interesting. But it's tough. So 0 pts it is.

eXistor

I'm probably talking to a brick wall, but try to get in the mindset where you see trophies and the like as worthless and not worth your time. They are literally worthless, meaningless digital badges that do nothing for you. Certainly not your enjoyment from games by the look of it.

People don't care about another person's gamerscore, it's ridiculous. Try to get out of this trap as soon as you can. Just say "fuck trophies" and be done with them, switch the pop-up animation to off, whatever it takes and finally go back to actually enjoying games.

redcrayon

Turn off notifications, don't look at the list before starting a game and never give a shit about them again. In all my years of PlayStation gaming I don't think I have a single platinum or anything achieved by more than a regular playthrough. Nobody else is looking at other people's profiles and saying 'what an elite gamer!'.

For some people it's a fun, throwaway, optional extra, for others with obsessive tendencies it can become a tedious jobs list. Same goes for any game with online elements and 'daily quests'. For some people it's a reward for logging in when they would be doing so anyway, for others it's a constant reminder that other players are getting ahead. If a computer game is on the list of things to do when you wake up every morning, it's no longer a hobby for me.

A bigger problem I think is I'm kind of conditioned not to play a game that's already platinumed.

Same! I only ever put the effort into getting trophies in a game I really love, but once I get that plat I feel mentally done with it.

I want to play Bloodborne again but I'm struggling because of this.

IrishNinja

i really dig trophies, cause i can metagame or not as i please

yakuza 5 is great but there's way too much in there for a plat, not nearly as bad as 3 but still

4 however i just adored, totally platted that & loved my time with it so i didn't mind trying extra tasks & such, they were mostly setup to make you really try out & get good at all the different things the world offered you

that's how trophies should work, i think

Pila

My first experience with achievements was Steam.

Games have 34.912 achievements on average, people cheat like no tomorrow, they're made in a way that you just don't care.

So... dunno, they just stay there. I don't turn them off but I never cared.

Osukaa

No they were not. It’s unfortunate when some people have obsessive/compulsive issues with them but there’s plenty of people who enjoy them without any problems.

Gotta agree plus I like the little challenges they add to some games. OPif you play on Ps4 turn em off if Xbox I'm not sure if they have that option, but yeah if not then you'd probably better get used to them. I'm pretty sure they're here to stay.

every Switch game I play feels empty without them. I hit a hole-in-one in Golf Story and expected a cool achievement to pop, and then remembered I was playing on a Nintendo console.

This makes me feel sad, people feeling games are empty or systems are incomplete because of some arbitrary number and trophy icons.

I liked achievements back when they were new during the 360 era, then the novelty wore off for me.

i really dig trophies, cause i can metagame or not as i please

yakuza 5 is great but there's way too much in there for a plat, not nearly as bad as 3 but still

4 however i just adored, totally platted that & loved my time with it so i didn't mind trying extra tasks & such, they were mostly setup to make you really try out & get good at all the different things the world offered you

that's how trophies should work, i think

I platinumed 3,4, and dead souls. I think a big problem that i failed to mention was that I went right into 5 after dead souls. Im burned out on yakuza from the beginning here.

Yikes, wish you the best of luck OP.

Personally, I really enjoy trophies. With that said, I have a grand total of 1 Platinum throughout all my years. Much of the time I read the list and I immediately “nope” them, but they’re often a fun thing to go after that causes me to play a game in a different way then how I was playing it before.

For your sake, please turn off notifications. Trophies can be a nice distraction, but they ultimately mean squat. Have fun and take it easy.

This makes me feel sad, people feeling games are empty or systems are incomplete because of some arbitrary number and trophy icons.

I liked achievements back when they were new during the 360 era, then the novelty wore off for me.

Trophies provide an incentive to keep playing a game. Like why would I bother with challenges if there was no trophy for it?

I agree with that post. I'm not investing time in Switch games because they feel empty and unrewarding without trophies.

Kaizer

Banned
I never understood the need to get achievements and trophies and I think it's weird.

Like, who cares how many platinum trophies someone has?

Same for me. The only way they’ll get me to really care about trophies/achievements is if I get discounts or free items from PSN or XBL for redeeming my points.

Quonny

The only way I could break myself was to only play on a platform that didn't have them.

I just stopped playing PlayStation games and only played Steam games (because those achievements are extra worthless) and Switch games.

Now I can enjoy trophies without having them dictate how I play.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Why does that make you sad? For many people, trophies/achievements are kind of acknowledgment of them managing to do specific tasks/quests; people like seeing tangible acknowledgment of their efforts.

Södy

I like getting trophies in some games. I have all 9 GoW platinums i.e. If it has nice trophies or achievements, it's fun. Also, they sometimes add to the game. Playing through "The library" on heroic without dying in Halo: CEA was such a blast and I was soooo happy when I did it.

On the other hand, if a game has shit trophies, I just don't care. I still enjoy the game.

For me, trophies and achievements can add to a game but never have a negative effect on a game.

ffvorax

Just stop caring about achievements... or take a look at them and understand which one you should get to enjoy the games, and leave the others...

I usually try to get at least 50% of the trophies, if I find them fun then I do them all, but the game must be fun too... if I don't find them fun I just skip them even if these are easy...

recent example: Infamous second son -> there are some super easy trophies that I skipped because I was bored about the game after I finished the story... these were even not so much time consuming but hey... I have better things to do...

Games should be challenge and/or fun time for you, not boring and frustrating.

I know it's easy for people to say to just turn this shit off (one of the first things I did on my PS4 was to disable achievement and trophy notifications) but it does make me wonder if any games are somehow negatively impacted (even to people not bothering with achievements) because of the very existence of the achievements? Like, is something in-game artificially more difficult because there is an achievement attached to doing that "something"? Or is some game design focus lost due to devs focusing on integrating achievements into their games? Or some other problems I may not be thinking of?

I'm not saying I believe this is a problem and I can't actually think of any examples either. I'm just wondering out loud if anyone may think this could be a problem.

Just wondering...

lol. what happened to playing games just to have fun
Achievements are fun for some people. Until they're not, then it's a challenge to quit. But tons of people have fun with them, me included.

I know it's easy for people to say to just turn this shit off (one of the first things I did on my PS4 was to disable achievement and trophy notifications) but it does make me wonder if any games are somehow negatively impacted (even to people not bothering with achievements) because of the very existence of the achievements? Like, is something in-game artificially more difficult because there is an achievement attached to doing that "something"? Or is some game design focus lost due to devs focusing on integrating achievements into their games? Or some other problems I may not be thinking of?

I'm not saying I believe this is a problem and I can't actually think of any examples either. I'm just wondering out loud if anyone may think this could be a problem.

Just wondering...

In all of my hundreds of hours of listening to video game podcasts and hearing industry experts and devs talk about achievements, never once have I heard that game design was changed to accommodate them. So take that as you will. Maybe someone somewhere out there did it once, but I haven't heard about it. It's an after thought, clearly. Just look at some of the stupid trophies they put out.

Ridill

Hm. I only have 2 Platinums...that's RE5 on PS3 and Horizon on PS4...because they were easy...

I find myself, if I truly enjoy the game, to try to go for all the achievements...the majority of the time though, I give up lol.

While achievements/trophies do need work, I feel like the concept itself is just fine. Isn't it the best when you are mowing down a bunch of enemies and all of a sudden an achievement pops up. I love that lol

Xisiqomelir

When Microsoft started inflicting this on gaming I knew it could only end badly.

Now with virtually every platform mandating the wretched things, it's just become another annoyance to try and ignore in "modern gaming" like regenerating health bars.

Ivellios

I never cared about then, the only platinuns i have are Heavy Rain and Dragon Age, which i got with my brother playing multiple playthrougs, and those were on PS3.

I have a friend with 60+ platinuns, and no one cares about it. I dont understand all the obsession over something so silly, just play to have fun and move on to the next game.

I like that instead of discussing the problem this thread is about, OP only goes on talking about game specific trophies.
Get some self control man.

Top Bottom