• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

FinalAres

I play every game to the end, but platinumming them all is nuts.

But the truth is, even without platinum this could happen. Every game has landmarks. Zelda is a pain to 100% and there's even a little counter on the map to drive you crazy. Mario will have similar flags to let you know that that, no, you are not done with this yet.

When I first got the Switch I thought I was free from trophies. But I was free from nothing.

For me the problem is that games are just too long these days, with a ton of padding.

joeblow

On Steam, is there a way to disable achievement notifications without disabling the overlay? I hate the pop up when I'm playing.

Maengun1

I don't look at trophies AT ALL, but out of curiosity I just checked my trophy progress for the first time on the last game I completed on PS4 (Uncharted Lost Legacy). I was expecting that I had maybe gotten 70 or 80% of them just by completing the game but I only have 13% lol. It seems like trophies have only gotten more crazy since the last time I paid attention to them.

Idk, I don't get trophies I guess. Like, things like "collect all the treasures" makes sense to me. "replay the game on the new harder difficulty" ....isn't appealing to me for the most part, but it makes sense. Stuff like "kill 20 enemies with headshots in a row while never leaving stealth mode while also switching weapons 3 times while also staying on your rope while also...." etc. etc. etc. is just insane to me. There's so many dumb things like that on the trophy list I'm looking at right now! If there's like NO WAY it's something you might just happen to do in normal gameplay, you know? At that point it's busywork, plain and simple.

I shall now go back to not paying attention to trophy lists.

SpokkX

This is one area where i feel both Switch and PC just makes me focus on the games

I have grown to hate achievements - they makes one focus on everything NOT in the game

autoduelist

I have the same issue, but not as bad as OP.

I don't care about trophies in theory, but I do care about 'mastering' a game. And I tend to like to do everything - I never skip sidequests, etc.

So I ultimately get most trophies just because of the way i play, so it's hard not to just grind out the ones I missed.

It sucks.

20cent

Banned
I've played 90% of my ps3/PS4/psv games to the end, I turned off the notification.
Last time I've check I had like 1000-ish trophies... Not a single platinum. I don't give a shit.

Chessr

Think about is 100+ hours really Worth it for 1 game ? All the time you waste on it is massive. Use that time to Play other games. Be with Friends and family. Read books. Do sport.

I can see trophy/ach a good thing for those who cant afford more than 1 game pr. Month

I know the feeling. I just don't go for trophies anymore outside a small few games (which ironically does include the Yakuza series and Cuphead, being games I love very much). But for the grand majority of other games i don't go after them anymore mainly down to one of a few reasons - grinding for trophies in one way or another (getting X number of kills, leveling up to X level etc.) just aren't fun, online trophies (just no fun to go after for me) and hidden collectables (awful, awful things that slow down progress as you tediously search everywhere or play the game through a guide).

Nioh is actually a great example of this - I'm loving the game, but there's no way I'm going after all the trophies - it has a few things in the form of hidden collectables and grinding plus a few other misc trophies I'm not going near. That said, I do want to clear all the missions for my own personal satisfaction (to see all the game has to offer).

DMONKUMA

I guess it doesn’t bother me if it there or not, if anything I’ll turn off the notifications. Overall cool that it does exist for people that like to trophy/achievement hunt.

I will say I gun for ingame achievements, especially in multiplayer games if they have it.

Shifty

Turn them off. Ignore them. Look to the game itself to dictate what you should do as a player, not an arbitrary completion list.

There's no point playing something if it's not pushing your fun buttons.

One of the first things i did when getting my PS4 was disable the trophy notification. If the system is making your experience with games unenjoyable (as if sounds like), then hide it!

I like to think I'm starting to get to the edge of it... Doing Uncharted Lost Legacy on Crushing can be summed up in one word: tedious. I like to think this means that I will stop plat hunting and just enjoy the games for what they are... but then I'll start playing something that really grabs me and feel like I have to get the most out of it. Then I'll come back and put myself through the grinder again for uncharted.

Goddamn.

m00h

Banned
I disable the achievement notification for 95% of the game. I only score for 100 % on games I really really love and live, and even then not always.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I"m in a similar boat to you OP.

I still have fun, but instead I actively avoid games I know I'll never get all the achievements/Platinum for.

FinalAres

I'm playing FFXV at the moment to completion. Got the platinum ages ago, but there's still so much core content to go. With or without trophies compulsion is the same.

Turn off trophy notifications.

Enjoy your games.

(I'm also in the 1 platinum camp, for Infamous: Second Son, but two playthroughs will pretty much nail that one)

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have 21 Platinum Trophies, which admittedly aren't very many in the grand scheme of things, but I love going for them. That being said, I only chase Platinums when I know I can obtain them without massively affecting my gaming style.

Getting all secrets and A+ing all levels in Hotline Miami? Sure! Otherwise I would have played each level once and moved on. All weapons in Bloodborne? Sure! It rewards exploration, so that's a plus. In most cases, a Platinum for me is a "medal" that I get for completing a game I really like.

Now, there are some games that are decidedly impossible for me to get Platinums on. Most games with multiplayer Trophies (like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale), or games that you have to beat on a brutal difficulty level (Divinity: Original Sin or XCOM)... Nah. I don't go after the Platinum for those games. I just play them and enjoy the experience for what it is, then move onto the next game. There's no point in forcing myself to play those games as a completionist if I'm not going to "complete" them.

Think about is 100+ hours really Worth it for 1 game ? All the time you waste on it is massive. Use that time to Play other games. Be with Friends and family. Read books. Do sport.

I can see trophy/ach a good thing for those who cant afford more than 1 game pr. Month

Ehh... Kinda have to disagree. There's very little objective value in video gaming. You could argue that with any game you could be doing something else that would be more "productive". Besides, if you spend 100 hours playing a multiplayer game, is that worth it? Or is it only a waste of time if you're chasing a Platinum Trophy?

I wouldn't judge any hobby as a "waste of time", regardless of the time invested in it. The only reason for saying that something is time wasted is that you are actively not enjoying what you're doing and you're not getting anything from it.

DVCY201

I disable the achievement notification for 95% of the game. I only score for 100 % on games I really really love and live, and even then not always.

Yup. If you love the game and are gonna replay it, I think trophies/achievements are worthwhile. Otherwise, just enjoy playing through the game.

kephyr

Neo Member
230hs? But why? You could have finished a lot of games while you chased the trophies in one game... Moreover after that you will hate the game itself because you don't let go the trophies. You won't remember the game and the stories just the boring (usually) sidequests, etc...

If you want a platinum is ok but before you jump in you should consider what you get by it. Maybe check the "trophy guide" pages.

As many above said, just turn the notifications off, and don't look how to get them, but it seems that you only play games to get the achievements, do you read the trophy list and do just that? or do you normally play and at some point start doing the trophy hunt?

No one gives a shit on consoles either.

OP does

gelf

I'm not against trophies, they are good for personal records of what you've done and good for suggesting fun things to attempt that you may not have thought of. However the moment you stop having fun attaining them you need to find a way to stop. A platinum is meaningless.

I love them (200+ platinums) but if a game's trophies are too hard for me or frustrating as competitive shooters and fighters tend to be then I just won't go for them. I tend to play RPGs/action games more than anything though so it's rarely a problem. I also tend to play a game blind and enjoy it exploring and reading the lore then play through again going for trophies for the extra challenge. I feel like it adds to the games value and I often find out things I missed the first time.

I can totally understand people not caring though. As others have said, turn the notifications off and just enjoy the game.

Ravelle

I was like this too and it so satisfying too just play the story and say, well that was good and now I'm done!

Did that with Mario+Rabbits.

I only do Trophy runs for games I really care about though.

as someone with almost 200k gamerscore, I agree

Same. 170k GS and I just stopped caring.

Admittedly a friend and I were competing to see who could get ahead of the other, so it was really fun for me and I tried a lot of new games I otherwise wouldn't have, but once he stopped at 140k I just lost the drive to keep expanding it.

brawly

The first game I have dug into is Yakuza 5. Last time I played it my save file was over 230 hours long and I am not even halfway to the platinum I would say, Every session I play of it is extremely boring repetitive trash, because I am going for all the trophies.

CoWZ05t.gif

I haven't even put that much time into the entire series and I've played all of them.

Turn off all trophy notifications.

One day, I was looking at my achievements and thought to myself "why do I care about this crap". When I couldn't think of a good answer, I then decided to just play games without caring.

It's quite nice.

Yeah. I stopped caring a long time ago. I don't have seas of time. Life is too short to care about stuff like this.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Achievements are fun in the moment but mean relatively little after that and nothing when you move on to a new console or whatever, so don't worry too much about them. OP seems like an extreme case as their obsession with them is actively ruining the experience of playing the games, but generally I think there's no problems with them. Especially in single-player games.

mocoworm

To start off, yes I play every game that I have to completion,unless it is not possible with discontinued things (ill get to that later).I cannot even remember the last time I had fun playing a video game.

Achievements are a great thing, but you can turn them off. If you can't enjoy a game without them then it doesn't sound like video games aren't for you. Get another hobby.

buenoblue

I've bin gaming since the 80s and have never actively completed 1 trophy or achievement. I've completed 100s of games though. I'd rather play another game than waste time grinding. I don't get it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Have you considered playing a Nintendo system or a pre-Xbox 360 system for a change, to check if you even enjoy playing videogames itself outside of the gratification loop of obtaining achievements? I would suggest choosing a challenging game without grinding or achievement-like medal systems for this, to disassociate from achievement-like content and at the same time keep you challenged. Try, e.g. Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero (G)X or Fire Emblem Fates Conquest (specifically this to make grinding impossible).

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I use trophies to track mine and my friend's progress...not for actually hunting them (bar a few games which were easy to get Platinum on)...

Fitts

As others have stated, just turn off notifications and ignore them. I did so after platinuming Final Fantasy XIII. Felt like I had wasted so much time for absolutely nothing. (because that’s exactly what had happened) Never looked back and I’ve enjoyed gaming a lot more since then — both because I’m playing purely how I want to and because I’m not wasting my time on shitty games. One of the first things I do when I purchase a new device or install Steam is kill these notifications.

Gloggins

I may just turn off trophy notifications myself. Most trophy lists encourage grinding or repetition or sodding, infernal, pointless collectibles or playing in a way that's less fun. Madness really.

Fliesen

I'm with you OP.
Playing Shadow of War, the first thing i did was check the trophy list...

There's many indie games (or PS+ titles) i've passed on because i knew i wouldn't be able to 100% them.

No trophies on the Switch is the best thing that could have happened to me - buying games left and right, not feeling bad about not finishing them, let alone playing them to 100% completion.

RPGam3r

I like achievements and trophies. But I like them just to see what would be fun to get, not just to get them. Also I don't have a single platinum despite liking these systems.

Jolkien

Agree! Hate them and can't enjoy Games since then. Would love to disable them. Thankfully Nintendo does not have acchievements! Yay :).

But they do, their games that have them has in game achievements, a ton of them, or they have flag/star/sticker with a stats tracker like Breath of the Wild completion it's trophies in all but name and a system menu to track it.

It's much healthier to learn to deal with it and just go for those when your having fun but it can cause problems for those with real OCD. A lot of people claim to have OCD has a joke and it's a crippling, terrible condition I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Afrikan

Achievements caused Sony to bring Trophies, which along the way meant Sony killed game save sharing. :/

Worse moment of last gen, for me.

Sailent

Banned
Whenever I tell a friend about a game he jumps right away and says "Got the plat trophie" and I want to punch him so hard in the face.

:mad:

Klendathu

I got briefly into the achievements in the Ratchet & Clank games on PS2 but not so much since. I don't pay attention to these but my perception is that many games require you to do things above and beyond a normal playthrough of a game and because my gaming time is already limited, the pull of playing a game more than I may want too isn't there for a little badge or number on my dashboard.

There are a couple of platinum in my PSN library: Infamous Second Son which happened naturally and Lego Marvel Superheroes, where I noticed I was at 98% (again naturally) then chased down the final few collectibles in 30 minutes.

I like them but I only go for them in games I really enjoy.

If anything, I like them on there as an overall complete history of my account and what I've played over the years.

Top Bottom