• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

I have this same problem. I actually will regret playing a game and make a new PS4 or Xbox account to "reset" the situation. There is something wrong with me I know but I still have fun playing games.

I chased achievements once around 2011. It almost made me quit gaming due to it taking most of the fun out of games for me. They're meaningless trash imo.

Hobbes211

I get this way about particular games, but thankfully not all of them. When the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth released expansions and my 100% was gone on PC, I had this urge like I had to get it back. I wasn't a huge fan of Greed, thankfully, so I lost the drive to do it. I've dumped so many hours into that game...

PrimeBeef

every Switch game I play feels empty without them. I hit a hole-in-one in Golf Story and expected a cool achievement to pop, and then remembered I was playing on a Nintendo console.
Sounds goos to me. I turn off notifications when I have that option. For games that I cannot it's a nice little surprise to see one when I do something but it never goes further that seeing what it was for.

I think this goes hand in hand with with the sentiment that games need to have a good reward system to keep players invested. I remember a time when people played games to have fun and try to beat them rather than for the rewards.

Yikes - sounds more like work than fun. I know people can get hung up on achieving certain trophies/achievements, but this just sounds arduous.

Lusankya

I really like getting trophies, but when I see that the platinum trophy is too much of a hazzle and I won't get it while I am having fun with the game I am totally fine with just not getting the trophies.
So if at all trophies only enhanced my experience but never dimished it.

Samus4145

My feeling on them?
DrewCarey-WhoseLine.jpg

I used to be an achievement whore in the first couple of the 360 years. Once the requirements started to get a bit difficult for my liking, I gave up on achievements. If I get one by chance, great. If I dont, I move on. I dont beat myself up for not gaining any cheevos.

I used to be really bad for it. Trying to get 100% in every game. Then one day I realized it wasn't fun, I was just doing it out of compulsion.
I had an xbox360 and a Wii at the time and I noticed that I had a lot more fun playing Wii games because I wasn't obsessed with achievements.
When I came to that realization, I just decided never to 100% a game ever again. I just play a game to completion and after it's done, if I loved it, I may take a glance at the achievements just to see if any of them are actually fun to try instead of just tedious.

For example, I love Shovel Knight. It's one of my all time favourite games. I glanced at the achievements on Steam and there were some really fun ones like beating a stage without using a weapon and things like that. So I did those and I didn't do the ones that seemed tedious or annoying.

I'm relieved that I broke out of this but I can totally understand how it would be harder for certain people.

Intel_89

I'm in the happy medium ~50% trophy completion, I like to hunt trophies but if I'm not enjoying my time with a game I'd rather skip it to play something else rather than just droning my life away in order to tick a few checkboxes.

Budi

All the "play on PC where it doesn't matter" comments seem bit funny to me personally. Since World of Warcraft is the only game I ever actually put real effort in getting achievements. I don't think there's any other game in which I ever completed such menial tasks to get achievement points, to be fair in some cases there was reward like a mount or a title attached to it.

Weebos

Banned
I know there are bigger things to complain about, but fuck man. I have ruined video games for myself by being such an achievement/trophy whore. How the fuck do people break this addiction. I want off this ride.

Therapy might help. It is worth considering if this is a big enough problem for you and you can afford it or get it covered by insurance.

Other people in this thread have offered other solutions that might help as well, like turning off the notifications or even playing on other platforms.

All the "play on PC where it doesn't matter" comments seem bit funny to me personally. Since World of Warcraft is the only game I ever actually put real effort in getting achievements. I don't think there's any other game in which I ever completed such menial tasks to get achievement points, to be fair in some cases there was reward like a mount or a title attached to it.

And I already commented on playing pc earlier, but might as well again since I wasn't expecting this thread to become so popular.

I do have a gaming pc. But I find it very hard to have motivation to play games when I'm not working toward achievements or trophies. I usually play a game for 5 minutes on pc, then go back to something that has them and never touch the pc game again, even if it's a good game

I have over 2000 trophy's and not a single one of them is platinum.

It's just not worth the hassle. Like you said, trophy hunting doesn't make the games any more fun.

Valahart

I'm glad I have a healthy relationship with achievements.

I only look them up when I'm having fun with the game and want something extra.

I go for the ones that are fun and have zero problem leaving whichever ones are grindy/unfun behind. I've had Enter the Gungeon sitting on 99% because of this one grindy achievement (Friffle's Challenge or something), and I have no problem with that.

I like how sometimes they just give me a challenge I wouldn't have thought of and make me play the game with a different mindset. Admittedly trashy dumb grindy achievements are way more common than the fun creative ones.

tsab

Just disable the achievement/trophies notifications, your problem will vanish.
I did it on PS3 and PS4 and stopped caring about what trophies I have anymore and I don't care. I would hide the trophy app altogether if I could. (I have zero platinums)

This or switch to Nintendo. Pun
not
intented

Wamb0wneD

every Switch game I play feels empty without them. I hit a hole-in-one in Golf Story and expected a cool achievement to pop, and then remembered I was playing on a Nintendo console.

So getting a notification of how cool you are is more important than actually accomplishing something in the game?
Why?

dreamfall

For me, it really depends on the title. I find that I can play and enjoy a ton of games, without caring at all for a single achievement. For games I really love, I try to see why a developer awarded achievement points for certain things and go out of my way to try to complete them. But honestly, I don't really care. Give me a great game with a single achievement for seeing an ending, and I'm just as happy.

Bakercat

I only care about trophies if I really like the game. If I play for an hour or two and it's not that great I just finish the game and leave it be. The ones I really love I try to get acheviments/trophies because I wanna keep playing and it gives me a reason to continue.

fester

Banned

Is it not possible to just enjoy the game for what it is? The fixation with the meta "game within a game" is wrecking how games are designed in general. And that's not something you can just turn off and ignore - everyone is affected.

I got my first ever Platinum trophy the other day with Life is Strange, but that's only because the game is probably one of the easiest to do so with. It'll probably be the only Platinum trophy I'll ever get for a long while. Usually I just end up in the 50-60% range of trophy completion before I move on from a game, which is fine. I don't care about them as much as I used to on the 360.

Hissing Sid

I'm eternally grateful that I was born without the psychological trigger that the achievement bollox thrives on.

Same as graphics, I still occasionally load up my old ZX Speccy games and am still able to immerse myself in a world of colour clash and beeps.

I'm definitely low maintenance when it comes to games and consider myself very lucky to be so.

Modern games must be a fucking nightmare for peeps with OCD tendencies.

cormack12

Gold Member
I used to feel like this until I broke the cycle. It was hard though. Now I just go after the ones I like the sound of, offer a little extra challenge or have a fun mechanic.

Cynically a lot of these achievements are just to get you to play a different game mode or to make you a statistic in 'playerbase has clocked up 1 million combined gameplay hours'.

Then DLC distorts the 100% completion bar even if you have the platinum. Honestly playing a system with no achievements (wii U) helped Me, as did hiding notifications. But eventually you just think wtf, turn them back on and don't look back.

chaos789

Banned
I use to not care about achievements/trophies when they first started off. But now I constantly update my trophy list and it seems to have become one of the main reasons I even play games, although I hardly ever go for the platinum unless its easily obtainable. I really need help to break this habit. I wish they never created this feature.

Azriell

Achievements are great if you have only one game to play for 4 months.

This is one of the big reasons why I would never rally against them. If I was a kid or a person with a more limited budget, achievements and trophies would be a great tool in extending the life of a game. As it stands, I largely ignore them. I do like the feeling of seeing a gold trophy pop up, but I almost never look at the list so it's a rare sight for me to see.

cormack12

Gold Member
The thing that baffles me is that developers are obviously creating these games with the sole purpose of being fun.

But some of the random shite they throw in as a trophy or achievement like seriously 2.0 from gears? I mean it's like do you guys think anyone is going to get excited or get enjoyment out of that?

Same with these massive open worlds. They seem to excel at making you come to hate the game before you're done with it. Just really bizarre

It’s not achievements fault if you can’t moderate your own behavior. Take a break from gaming and reflect on your behaviors. Figure out what you ginuinely care about and accept that. Figure out why you do things you dont really want to, so you can let go.

Falchion

Just play how you want to play and don't stress about it. Turn the notifications off if it bothers you. I love achievements but I only go for completions when I really enjoy the game and the achievements are reasonable.

Clockwork5

I have never chased trophies have only opened the trophy tab on the PS4 a few times.

It does feel good to get a trophy when you don't know it's coming. It's almost like "Hey surprise! You did something cool!"

Shanaynay

Learn some self-control then, no point in trophy hunting in games you don't enjoy and being a "completionist" isn't an excuse. There's a time where you need to sit back and ask yourself if the effort and frustration is worth a mere trophy.

It's what i do nowadays, i get the trophies for games i genuinely enjoy and if there's a trace of me not enjoying it anymore (whether a grind is too long or a trophy requirement is tedious) then i move on, trophies be damned, i might return to it later.

The Hermit

This is even sadder than the OP

Btw, the hole-in-one is the achievement itself, didn't you feel proud? I am sure as hell I did when I got it

Keinning

i would like achievements more if they really felt like achievements - ie were only awarded to really impressive/difficult stuff in the games. seeing one pop because ive finished a tutorial or chapter 5 of a linear game really takes away their merit to me

im still not bothered enough to chase them or turn them off anyway. its such a minor thing to me.

I think OP already knows what is the problem, just need a way to solve it. Maybe try to beat your games and move on? Save the time for completion for other games and maybe you will have more fun and feel less depressed caring about achievement.

I love collecting platinums, but if it's too much of a chore I just don't bother.

I usually just open a trophy guide before I start a game and if it says like 100+ hours and 3 playthroughs I decide then and there I won't bother with trophies. I'll just play through to the credits then shelve it.

Are you me lol? This is exactly what I am doing. I love collecting trophies, but if a game requires hundreds hours to platinum I will just ignore the trophy. There are always other easier platinum I can get somewhere else.
I really do not like NG+ trophies, lol.

I like going for those rare reasonable Platinum trophies. (Most recently the Crash Trilogy) But for the most part I don't care at all. If there's a completion percentage on a save file that's good enough to satisfy the completionist part of me.

I will say the worst trophy lists are those that are predominantly single player but then have some multiplayer-based achievements shitting up the place. Lookin' at you, DOOM. >=/

Are you talking those DOOM DLC trophies? Yeah they are annoying and I don't bother getting. But the base game trophy list is really good IMO. The trophies help you experience everything the dev has created. If I did not go for the platinum, I would miss a lot delicate secret designs in the game.

I used to care just enough to 100%/platinum games I considered to be my favorites as a show of "support", but now I pretty much ignore them altogether. The Switch not having them doesn't bother me a single bit!

Top Bottom