• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

What in the blue hell did I just watch? What in blue hell is Matt Smith wearing? Talk about a plunging neckline...

Mr. Sam said:
What in the blue hell did I just watch? What in blue hell is Matt Smith wearing? Talk about a plunging neckline...
You watched the glory of Craigy Ferg. :D

Having said that, WTF was with Matt Smith's shirt?

Came home from work tonight, and the wife has been sick all day and marathoning Series 5. I come in while she is watching "Time of Angels." Of course I am now stuck and will be up most of the night. Dammit. I have to work in the morning.

And after seeing the horrifying shirt on Smith in that Craig Ferguson clip, I did a search of other Matt Smith and Karen Gillan pics to find weird stuff, and came across this.
karencatsuit.jpg

mattsmith12.jpg

PhoncipleBone said:
And after seeing the horrifying shirt on Smith in that Craig Ferguson clip, I did a search of other Matt Smith and Karen Gillan pics to find weird stuff, and came across this.
karencatsuit.jpg
O_O ...what was this thread about, again?

ninj4junpei said:
O_O ...what was this thread about, again?
angel.jpg

And now I just ruined it. Now no one can look away from the monitor, since whatever captures the image of an angel itself becomes an angel.

Also, as much as I love Karen Gillan, that latex pic doesn't do too much for me really. It looks like her head got pasted on. Perhaps the angle she is sitting at. Gimme a full body shot one and I might change my mind on it.

Nickiepoo

Just finished S4 (main, not the specials), and wow, that whole
Rose x fake doctor smooch
thing made me cringe so badly, along with that whole scenario.

Am I the only one?

Nickiepoo said:

Am I the only one?
The whole ending to season 4 felt like they were just paying fan service and crammed as much as they could into the last couple episodes.

Nickiepoo

Yup, sort of seemed like that whole bit was just for the teenage fangirls.

Which is funny, because every teenage fangirl I've spoken to hasn't liked Smith. I guess Moffat just isn't in touch with them.

Nickiepoo said:

Which is funny, because every teenage fangirl I've spoken to hasn't liked Smith. I guess Moffat just isn't in touch with them.
Smith is too goofy for the teenage fangirls I think. Tennant was goofy, yet smooth. And perhaps the fangirls hate Gillan. I really dont know what the fangirl reaction to the new Who crew is really. I know that I am loving it faster than I loved Tennant and his companions. And I did love Tennant, but I am really digging the goofy nerdiness of Smith.

Lard

Banned
Nickiepoo said:

Thank fuck.

PhoncipleBone said:
angel.jpg

And now I just ruined it. Now no one can look away from the monitor, since whatever captures the image of an angel itself becomes an angel.

Also, as much as I love Karen Gillan, that latex pic doesn't do too much for me really. It looks like her head got pasted on. Perhaps the angle she is sitting at. Gimme a full body shot one and I might change my mind on it.

I just scrolled down ... nice try!

Nickiepoo

PhoncipleBone said:
Smith is too goofy for the teenage fangirls I think. Tennant was goofy, yet smooth.

That, and while I think he's attractive due to his unusual looks I think that most of the teenage fangirls would just call him ugly and have that effect their enjoyment of the show.

They're not normally known for their depth after all.

Nickiepoo said:
That, and while I think he's attractive due to his unusual looks I think that most of the teenage fangirls would just call him ugly and have that effect their enjoyment of the show.

They're not normally known for their depth after all.

*shakes fist at teenage girls*

LaneDS

border said:
Really? No Daleks this year? That seems a bit harsh, considering they went to such lengths to reboot them.

I haven't watched all of the latest season (just the first four I think), but I found it funny how the new and improved Daleks seem like the old Daleks, only taller. Much more threatening! I assume they show up later in the season though (I've since gone back and have worked my way up to just about the end of series 29).

Dalek stories always seem to be about kidnapping/harvesting humans rather than actually exterminating them.

If there's one in 2011, I want it to be the Daleks at their deadliest. No crazy plan, just a mission.

River Song is amazing. I just love the idea of her character and teh actress is great too. The library episode in series 4 beat out Blink for me, it was so good. I was so happy to see her return in that two parter this series. I hope she comes back before its all over. I'm at The Hungry Earth.

Really? No Daleks this year? That seems a bit harsh, considering they went to such lengths to reboot them.

Reliable people on outpost Gallifrey suggested ages ago (back in the Summer, when Series 5 ended) that there'd be no Daleks in Series 6, but they'd have the 2011 Christmas Special. Based on this new interview, perhaps that is transpiring to be true. If true, we'd still get Daleks once in 2011, keeping to the loose tradition we now have.

Also, the Dalek reboot has had such a massive backlash - a huge chunk of the fans hate the new design, Mark Gaitiss himself goes on about how he dislikes the look on the commentary of the episode on the DVD, and Moffat did an about-face from "we'll never see the old Daleks again" to "the new Daleks are just the officer class, we'll see the old ones as grunts." so I'd say the effort of the rebooting of them probably isn't massively important.

I didn't know the Dalek backlash was that severe. What was wrong with them besides the colors really? Are we going to get backlash from the visual changes to the Cybermen?

PhoncipleBone said:
I didn't know the Dalek backlash was that severe. What was wrong with them besides the colors really? Are we going to get backlash from the visual changes to the Cybermen?

It wasn't really severe, as such. It's the same with all things Who - that is to say there were sensible detractors, sensible people for it also but then a very large number of people crying on either side, saying "SEE LOOK MOFFAT MY WRITE BETTER BUT LOOK WHAT HE'S DONE AS SHOWRUNNER" and "THE MOFF HE CAN DO NO WRONG!!!"

That said, I feel like it was a bigger reaction than most things. A bigger reaction than the 2005 or 2006 redesigns to the Daleks and Cybermen, and a bigger reaction than the Sontarans. It says a lot that Moffat has rowed back on it a bit, and that Gatiss, a major contributor, and possibly next in line to the throne after him, has criticized the design publically.

For me (and for Gatiss on the DVD) it's the hunchback. I love the size, the colours, the new eyestalk - all of it, really - it's just that hunchback is horrible, goes against every prior shape of the Daleks and really destroys an otherwise great design.

The hunchback has a reason, if you look at design sketches - the back folds out (nonfunctioning on current design, might be accomplished with CGI) and the Dalek is meant to store other weapons back there, that can be accessed by ejecting the flap at the back. But it still looks crap.

doofus01.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This got buried on the last post of the last page so I'm going to repost.

Need your help. Could someone with the DVD or BR of series 5 get me a nice screen grab of a good shot of the spitfires attacking the Daleks. I have to give a presentation about piston engines in aircraft, and want to make a Doctor Who joke :D

Nickiepoo said:

Am I the only one?
LOL, no you are not alone. I despise that development with a passion and i hate most the season 4 finale as well. All of RTD's worst tendencies were in full force during that episode.

As great as Matt Smith is doing, my hetero man crush on Tennant is still going strong and i keep thinking back to his final moments as the doctor.
His final line is so confusing and sad to me. I feel like having him be so doubtful at the end hurts the moment. Like the last 10 minutes of the episode of him letting go slowly didnt amount to much.

Anyway, David did an amazing job acting his way through the cluster fuck of finales in Series 4 and the special. Love that man. No homo

Nickiepoo

It still makes me feel just a little bit guilty when I hear about Tennants regeneration making people sad :(

Speaking of which, I need to get hold of the S4 specials DVD as I still havn't seen The Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead.

Nickiepoo said:
It still makes me feel just a little bit guilty when I hear about Tennants regeneration making people sad :(

Speaking of which, I need to get hold of the S4 specials DVD as I still havn't seen The Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead.

You're not missing anything.

Nickiepoo said:

Shame on them. >:| Matt Smith is adorable.

Mr. Sam

infiniteloop said:
You're not missing anything.

Agreed. The Waters of Mars onwards is all you need to see. Waters of Mars is actually good; End of Time is just... narratively significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom