• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamestop warring with Microsoft?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No, I read Microsoft's official statement before posting. It's up to publishers.

These employees, as well as most of you, are not stating truth about the Xbox One and used games.

It's locked down. Publishers have the choice to block disc trading altogether or allow it in a 'locked down' manner through approved retail only.

params7

Banned
Its interesting Gamestop is promoting PS4 more than Xbox One in their stores despite cutting a deal with MS and being one of the participating retailers for XB1's used game sales. Looks like they still don't have faith in that system.

Since when does everyone love Gamestop? I thought everyone hated them, until all this happened.

Its more of an enemy of my enemy is my friend scenario. People will go back to hating Gamestop when Xbox One goes down.

Chitown B

I'm getting it because I want to play Dead Rising 3. Halo, Forza, and Titan. I will purchase all my third party stuff on PS4. I always have internet and have never been without it. If My internet ever goes out I will just play offline and when its time to check in turn on my hotspot check in and get another 24 hours or I can play My PS4. As far as used games go I really dont care since I buy digital whenever possible.

stop being so levelheaded.

Jomjom

Banned
But they charge Gamestop. Which in turn is going to have to increase the price of used games they sell back if they want to keep the same bottom line. And since used games are only marginally cheaper than new games, it essentially becomes an entirely subdued point.

Also, trade goes far and beyond gamestop - it's the general notion of being able to trade with friends or whoever the fuck you please. Aka, basic - human evolution derived cooperation. "I give you and you give me" no longer is relevant in regards to the Xbox one as it used to be with the 360.

Well basically with the 10% or whatever it is Gamestop will have to pay for each used game, they'll have to make less on each used game sale because there's already only a $5 difference between used and new. They can't increase the price they list their used games at any more without it being the same price as new, which means nobody would buy used from them anymore.

So it makes sense that they want to push everyone to the PS4 where they can maintain their margin on used games as everything is status quo.

damaph

Odd, could just be overzealous managers there. I would think they wouldn't be quite so blatant about it though.

This is my guess too. From my experience, the employees and manager at Gamestops usually aren't the most professional type of people.

Gorillaz

Alright so went to GS to get TLOU asked about next gen, dude there said they are running out of X1 preorders...which may confirm the talk of MS having low supply of it. Then he just was all like

"well I'm getting a ps4, look on amazon it's like 10:1, they are just racking up the preorders"

Hex

Banned
I love the way when I just called them to look up stock on Starcraft Battlechest they greet you "Where you can preorder the new Playstation 4" but no mention of anything else.
I feel like I am in Bizarro world or something.
Going into Gamestop before and around the PS3 launch, and having to do with anything PSP related was like walking a minefield.

MS' approach gave it more leverage with the publishers, but destroyed good faith it had with GameStop, creating a friction that Sony is about to exploit. And it doesn't seem that MS gained anything on the publisher side, so from a strategic standpoint, this decision doesn't seem to be working how they planned. Oh, and they created a legion of angry consumers in the process.

USC-fan

Banned
Went by gamestop today and nothing bad about the xbone. Just the normal xbone and PS4 flyer with prices and games.

Ask about PS4 preorders and he said they had over 30 pre-ordered and slots left. They have been given 2 more "rounds" of units. I also asked about giving out too many preorders and he said gamestop corp gave the stores more units that are "killing it with preorders." So that is how his store got more units or whatever....

I kinda worry that sony will not be able to make this many. Seems like a ton units for my small store.

FlyFaster

ya know, who isn't warring with MS right now?

They've managed to piss off nearly every single demographic, country, region, age group, ect.

No, I read Microsoft's official statement before posting. It's up to publishers.

These employees, as well as most of you, are not stating truth about the Xbox One and used games.

Sorry to break your bubble, but most of the Xbone's DRM is at the system level and publishers have no say over it.

A publisher can't stop a single player game from refusing to play if the console hasn't been online for over 24 hours. They also can't allow you to give or lend your games away or sell them directly to a stranger on eBay. Even if they wanted to, they can't. They can however completely block second hand sales. If they do let you sell it, it MUST be through an approved retailer, no choice there either.

On the other hand, on the PS4 they can't block a second hand sale of the disc. They may try some online pass shenanigans, but they can't block single player content.

So the stuff that's really up to the publishers is very different on each platform wouldn't you say?

Excellent thread. I'm feeling really glad that it sounds like most stores out there are doing well by their customers, even if PS4 is ultimately Gamespot's best friend.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Good, fuck Consumers.

Fixed for anybody too ignorant to realize that Gamestop will pass that cost on to the people trading in games who won't have alternatives like eBay or personal sales.

Much like with online passes, it isn't Gamestop that will suffer here.

Shosai

Banned
So has anyone reporting to see these anti-Xbox flyers been able to post pics? I'd love to see them. The anticipation is killing me

It's locked down. Publishers have the choice to block disc trading altogether or allow it in a 'locked down' manner through approved retail only.

You got none of that from what MS has stated officially, soooooo ... well, I'll just say it: you made it up.

How about we just deal in what's official, like everyone wants to do with the PS4?

Kusagari

Fixed for anybody too ignorant to realize that Gamestop will pass that cost on to the people trading in games who won't have alternatives like eBay or personal sales.

Much like with online passes, it isn't Gamestop that will suffer here.

Gamestop will suffer eventually.

It's plainly obvious the endgame for MS is cutting out any sort of middleman.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Gamestop will suffer eventually.

It's plainly obvious the endgame for MS is cutting out any sort of middleman.

It's definitely against the long-term interests of Gamestop, but if this were the endgame they'd gladly pay 10% to Microsoft, drop the credit given for trade-ins by more than 10%, and enjoy the monopoly that Microsoft gives them.

Sorry to break your bubble, but most of the Xbone's DRM is at the system level and publishers have no say over it.

A publisher can't stop a single player game from refusing to play if the console hasn't been online for over 24 hours. They also can't allow you to give or lend your games away or sell them directly to a stranger on eBay. Even if they wanted to, they can't. They can however completely block second hand sales. If they do let you sell it, it MUST be through an approved retailer, no choice there either.

On the other hand, on the PS4 they can't block a second hand sale of the disc. They may try some online pass shenanigans, but they can't block single player content.

So the stuff that's really up to the publishers is very different on each platform wouldn't you say?

In their official statement (which I quoted), MS said it's up to the publisher. That's contrary to what you state. For a customer selling or buying a used game at GS, the experience won't be much different if they own a PS4 or X1.

And again, we're talking about used game sales in relation to Gamestop in THIS thread, not every single possible situation that could come up with a used game. For a GS employee to tell someone that wants to pre-order an Xbox One that it blocks used game's is them LYING to the customer.

Informing them about the FACTUAL RELEASED POLICIES would be a good service, but it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here and is status quo behavior for your stereotypical GS employee. That used to be something that we hated, but now X1 bashing is all the rage then now their behavior is lauded. And that's called hypocrisy.

yencid

Went to my local gamestop today and talked about E3 for a bit, then i asked how many of each consoles they were going to have for launch, 8 XBones, 68 PS4s

In their official statement (which I quoted), MS said it's up to the publisher. That's contrary to what you state. For a customer selling or buying a used game at GS, the experience won't be much different if they own a PS4 or X1.

And again, we're talking about used game sales in relation to Gamestop in THIS thread, not every single possible situation that could come up with a used game. For a GS employee to tell someone that wants to pre-order an Xbox One that it blocks used game's is them LYING to the customer.

Informing them about the FACTUAL RELEASED POLICIES would be a good service, but it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here and is status quo behavior for your stereotypical GS employee. That used to be something that we hated, but now X1 bashing is all the rage then now their behavior is lauded. And that's called hypocrisy.

Since it does in fact imposes several restrictions to the sale of used games on a hardware level, no, they're not even close to lying. Even if by some miracle you could sell the game at GameStop at the same price as a PS4 game, it's still blocking the sale in several other avenues at the hardware level, which is relevant information to pass onto potential customers.

kasane

Went to my local gamespot today. The last of us and PS3 bundles are everywhere while xbox is nowhere to be found, there are also posters for PS4 pre-orders while Xbone doesn't have one. TV's are all playing ps3 exclusives.

It's definitely against the long-term interests of Gamestop, but if this were the endgame they'd gladly 10% to Microsoft, drop credit given for tradeds by more than 10%, and enjoy the monopoly that Microsoft gives them.

Yes but it even then, the PS4 is something they would still better off push. They may have a bigger monopoly with Ganestop being a participating retailer, but promoting the PS4 over the X1 still makes more sense, it's still more beneficial.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do they ask you when you first walk to the cashier if you want to preorder a new console?

That's one of the many reasons I dread walking into the store. I pick up a preorder in July. Good. I hope the MS fans are seeing how alienated they made PS3 fans this social mess of a console gen.

Syf

Banned
Really hope this is actually happening in most stores. At this point I think a poor bottom line is the only way Microsoft will get the message.

guch20

Banned

To me, it comes down to the fact that I want the option to sell my game somewhere other than GameStop. Since I prefer getting more than $10 in store credit for a game I bought a week ago, I sell my Xbox 360 games on eBay, and I'll be selling my PS4 games there too.

Jhriad

You got none of that from what MS has stated officially, soooooo ... well, I'll just say it: you made it up.

How about we just deal in what's official, like everyone wants to do with the PS4?

Telling gofreak he doesn't know what he's talking about when you're obviously the misinformed one. That's balls.

Everything gofreak said is accurate and can easily be found in MS quotes.

Directly from their FAQ about licenses:

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers.

They've said several times that you'll be able to resell your licenses (remember you don't actually own those Xbox One games) at approved retailers only. You can't resell directly to another individual, you can't sell on craigslist, and unless eBay is an approved retailer you can't sell there either.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
And that's not even looking at lending games to a friend. I have a friend who will occasionally borrow games to check them out, I don't think that would work with Xone, unless we did game sharing.

Do they ask you when you first walk to the cashier if you want to preorder a new console?

That's one of the many reasons I dread walking into the store. I pick up a preorder in July. Good. I hope the MS fans are seeing how alienated they made PS3 fans this social mess of a console gen.

When I picked up Last of Us they asked if I wanted to preorder the PS4 when I was paying, pretty standard for gamestop, was just happy then didnt ask me to preorder anything else haha

Jhriad

When I picked up Last of Us they asked if I wanted to preorder the PS4 when I was paying, pretty standard for gamestop, was just happy then didnt ask me to preorder anything else haha

Don't know if that is very unusual since you were picking up a PS3 game. I'm more interested to know what they would have said if you were picking up a 360 game.

So that warning flyer has to be absolute bullshit because I haven't seen so much as a blurry pic from a cell phone confirming its existence.

Gold_Loot

I went in to local Gamestop today to pre-order my launch PS4 games and had a chat with the store manager about the whole situation (whom I have been friends with for awhile).

I was asking him about hearing anything from anybody at corporate level as far as if they are pushing one system over the other. He said "No, but it seems like nearly everybody has been leaning towards the PS4 due to the restrictions of the Xbox one." I asked him if he was required to tell everyone that asked about Xbox one and those restrictions, and he said "Not really, just to let them know that they will need an internet connection for it to work properly"

He also said that if managers are doing more than that (handing papers, trying to talk people out of Xbox ect.) it may be just at store level. Nothing from corporate on that yet.

Talked to a GS in Norway, half of their stock of ps4 was already preordered, while only one guy had preordered the xbone. There was no interest in the system

Hex

Banned
I have not seen a flyer, was in a small Gamestop today but are people really going through the motions of playing internet badass and calling out for the flyer?
Really?
As if anyone could not print something out and take a picture, or of someone did have a legit flyer from a Gamestop in question people would say it was shopped or just something printed out (which it would be because obviously it is not company policy and if a store or some stores had flyers it was something a manager did which is their thing if they want to do it).
So sitting in here saying "where is the flyer?" really makes you look pretty foolish.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Sony has said that they aren't allowing online passes anymore now that they are charging for online play on PSN. The only way publishers are going to be able to prevent used sales is by running their own servers and account system like in an MMORPG.

I have not seen a flyer, was in a small Gamestop today but are people really going through the motions of playing internet badass and calling out for the flyer?
Really?
As if anyone could not print something out and take a picture, or of someone did have a legit flyer from a Gamestop in question people would say it was shopped or just something printed out (which it would be because obviously it is not company policy and if a store or some stores had flyers it was something a manager did which is their thing if they want to do it).
So sitting in here saying "where is the flyer?" really makes you look pretty foolish.

What is wrong with you?, being curious is a sin now?

x-Lundz-x

Ill just add my two cents. I went in and traded some stuff in Friday to pay for the last of us I had on preorder and talked to the reps about next gen. They asked if I had preordered either of them and said yup, on amazon like 15 minutes after the conference was over, the ps4 conference.

I asked them specifically about this thread and they said they had not had anything "official" come down but there were 4 employees talking to various customers and they certainly were praising the ps4 well above the Xbox one. I asked the guy I was speaking with what the preorder numbers were like. He checked his book and said the ps4s were gone but they had plenty of slots left for their Xbox preorders. Not sure how many they are getting of each I just found that in line with what we already know.

I didn't see any flyer either so I think I call bs on that, and even if there was a flyer it was probably made by someone on their own accord and not a corporate approved thing. DFW here.

I know this isn't GameStop, but I was in Game in the UK on Friday and while making my purchase the employees asked if I wanted to preorder the PS4.
I asked, out of curiosity, why they didn't ask me about the Xbox One. During the ensuing conversation the phrases 'clusterfuck' and 'shit the bed' were used to describe Microsoft's handling of everything so far.
Far from store policy I'm sure but if employees are discouraging people on a wide scale Microsoft have a serious problem.

Cyrus365

Neo Member
I wonder after the Xbox reversal, in the coming days, if the numbers jump up like MS execs hope for.

Will same policies (although them saying this is their policy for now, and who knows if they'll change their mind again soon or down the road) as Sony, will people flock to the system yet it costs 100 dollars more?

MogCakes

I wonder after the Xbox reversal, in the coming days, if the numbers jump up like MS execs hope for.

Will same policies (although them saying this is their policy for now, and who knows if they'll change their mind again soon or down the road) as Sony, will people flock to the system yet it costs 100 dollars more?

Not quite. Preorders for the 180 will rise, however.

Top Bottom