• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Dark Horse is bringing it next week. New BPRD and new Black Hammer.

Also, I love next week's Doom Patrol variant:

STL041010

Best limited: The Vision
Best ongoing: Saga
Best anthology: Love is Love

I am pleased. Wow what a year!

e: Best journalism: AV Club. Well deserved!

So Green Lanterns (Humphries) Vol. 1 was genuinely great. I am really surprised and happy. The story was plotted well with a great conclusion, and the art was fantastic about 95% of the time.

I think it gets better as it goes along, so I think you'll quite like the next volume.

I'm glad to hear this. I've kept an eye out for a good Lanterns ongoing since I enjoyed Soule's run on Red Lanturns. Time to jump back into that BOGO.

Looks like Squirrel Girl won an Eisner.

Best limited: The Vision
Best ongoing: Saga
Best anthology: Love is Love

I am pleased. Wow what a year!

e: Best journalism: AV Club. Well deserved!

Best new series went to Black Hammer, which has been getting a lot of buzz around here lately!

Omg I am overjoyed! Fuckin' A!

Would Squirrel Girl be considered all ages? Probably more like teen rated, eh?

Either way, I would rather buy this for my young niece than most of the drivel peddled to girls (looking at you DC Super Hero Girls). Squirrel Girl is hilarious and contains awesome role models, three of which are people who are not white. This book rocks and I'm glad it's being validated
by what is most likely a stupid, antiquated system.

Either way, I would rather buy this for my young niece than most of the drivel peddled to girls (looking at you DC Super Hero Girls). Squirrel Girl is hilarious and contains awesome role models, three of which are people who are not white. This book rocks and I'm glad it's being validated

It's one of DC's best selling books.

It's definitely all ages. I would worry more about them missing some of the jokes, like everybody's favorite nihilist Brain Drain would probably go over a lot of young heads.

Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is a great intro to the run, it's my daughter's favorite Squirrel Girl story

Ended up using the SDCC sale to buy all of the Abe Sapien series along with Empowered on Comixlogy. Been rereading what I read of Empowered and it's fun. It's nice reading it without Dark Horse's digital app.

Is there a good round-up of all of the announcements for the major publishers at SDCC? It's been kind of all over the place here.

Only for them to find out he's doing a team book and remember Justice League Dark.

All jokes aside, I'm curious to see what the book is though lol.
JLD was awesome though. Well, Lemire and Milligan. DeMatteis...what did you do?
Holy fuck.
EDIT: Not the Fantastics.
I have never been happier.
An episode of Batman Beyond featured a different variation of the Fantastic Four.
There was only three of them and that episode was horrifying.
lol they're still publishing Cyborg and Hellblazer and Batgirl and the Birds of Prey where do you guys get this shit from jesus fucking christ
I like Birds of Prey. Quite a bit.
That's why there are fans who are upset with her current characterization.
I really enjoyed Simone's take.
Bought Green Lanterns Vol. 1 and Titans Vol. 1, as well as some Geoff Johns' Action Comics issues that I wanted as part of the BOGO CMX sale. I'd love to just go all out and buy tons of stuff, but budget won't allow it.

I read the first two issues of Green Lanterns so far and it's really promising. I'm liking it quite a bit, but the arc is still early so I will withhold judgement until the trade is finished.
The first arc of Titans might be rough if you're not interested in Wally West, because the entire thing is about him. I am, however, so I really enjoyed it.
Anybody on this? Or to shorten it to the question that'd be the most help: What's good from DC from the start of Rebirth onwards?
Superman
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Green Arrow

All hot fire. I've also been digging:

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Titans
Supergirl
JLA
So Green Lanterns (Humphries) Vol. 1 was genuinely great. I am really surprised and happy. The story was plotted well with a great conclusion, and the art was fantastic about 95% of the time.
I couldn't stand GLs. At least the first arc. I bailed four issues in. Everyone here says it's gotten a lot better, but I've been burned before

Sandfox

So, whats the deal with Mother Panic going forward? When it moves to Vertigo, it wont tie in to Batman anymore?
I imagine that it's going to stay relatively the same.
Reading up on some Marvel news today. It seems that Marvel have no idea what they really want to do post Secret Empire.
They're doing a bad job of explaining and presenting the post-SE stuff to fans because they are trying to secretive for whatever reason. It's causing a lot of confusion and anger.

Yay Team Saga, Matt Wilson, and Black Hammer!
The Saga team should just get their own award lol.

They're doing a bad job of explaining and presenting the post-SE stuff to fans because they are trying to secretive for whatever reason. It's causing a lot of confusion and anger.
It just seems like Marvel trying to solve the problem by making another event, which is a very dumb thing to do after trying to tell people they will stop making events.

Booth are just one shots ;)
The one is a Rebirth like Issue, Generations are One Shots were the Newcomers have a issue with the old heroes.
That is even worst! I know what Generations is trying to do but having that Legecy one shot is not making anything easier for new people to jump in on. Rebirth had only one one-shot that more or less told where some stories are going, while Marvel is trying to say here is the Legecy one shot and a whole bunch of one shots that deals with other heroes if you want to know what we are going to do for the next year or so. That sounds like a event but not trying to call it a event.

Sandfox

It just seems like Marvel trying to solve the problem by making another event, which is a very dumb thing to do after trying to tell people they will stop making events.
Marvel said that they have no major events planned. They're still going to dot smaller things like Venomverse for example.

Right now it seems like Legacy is supposed to give each book stories that "remind fans of classic Marvel" and bring stuff they "miss" back. Of course they are being really vague for some reason and people have no idea what's going on.

3 MONTHS LATER

Axel Alonso: I think it's time to pull the plug on Squirrel Girl
Sane people: She has a show coming up!
AA: Reboot it as New Warriors and have Greg Land do the art.
God, them cancelling Angela like right after it won an award was really dumb, but hey, it gave us Batwoman etc so I can't complain.

Marvel said that they have no major events planned. They're still going to dot smaller things like Venomverse for example.

Right now it seems like Legacy is supposed to give each book stories that "remind fans of classic Marvel" and bring stuff they "miss" back. Of course they are being really vague for some reason and people have no idea what's going on.
How many times are we going get those type of smaller events a year though? That is what I'm wondering here.

Depends I guess. I can be wrong, I dont have everything in my mind, but I think Venomverse is together with Clone Conspiracy the only one this year.
IvX ended around May, right? And 'Til Death Do Us was this year as well IIRC? And Weapons of Mutant Destruction is still going on.

Sandfox

How many times are we going get those type of smaller events a year though? That is what I'm wondering here.
It really depends on what you consider an small event and what you consider a crossover. 2016 had Standoff, Clone Conspiracy, and Ivx, and this year had Monsters Unleashed and Venomverse. There's also stuff like WMD and the Deadpool crossover.
IvX ended around May, right?

It ended in March.

Clone Conspricy was in late 2016 to early 2017 and IvX was in late 2016 and early 2017 too. Then Civil War 2 started in June of 2016 and last for six months at least.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Reading the Batman annual, get to a page where Alfred starts telling Batman an anecdote which made me think that it was Snyder as fuck.

Turns out it was Snyder.

Ended up using the SDCC sale to buy all of the Abe Sapien series along with Empowered on Comixlogy. Been rereading what I read of Empowered and it's fun. It's nice reading it without Dark Horse's digital app.

Haha good timing on the Abe pickup :D The Fiumaras do some amazing work in there. Have you read the Abe mini from back in the day, The Drowning?

Top Bottom