• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tattoo AND piercing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Appointment is today at 5PM. I'm excited. Not as nervous/antsy as I thought I'd be. I think the research I've done made me realize that a lot of people over-exaggerate the pain (from what I understand, it's uncomfortable but not unbearable). On top of that, it's small enough where it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes, so there's no reason I can't deal with that.

Assuming all goes well, I've already got ideas for my next one! Let's get through today and then I'll see where it goes.

Chopper

Appointment is today at 5PM. I'm excited. Not as nervous/antsy as I thought I'd be. I think the research I've done made me realize that a lot of people over-exaggerate the pain (from what I understand, it's uncomfortable but not unbearable). On top of that, it's small enough where it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes, so there's no reason I can't deal with that.

Assuming all goes well, I've already got ideas for my next one! Let's get through today and then I'll see where it goes.
Good luck man!

To be perfectly honest with you, I underestimated the pain. But then I was sat in the chair for 3 hours at a time. Totally worth it though...

rSpooky

Good luck man!

To be perfectly honest with you, I underestimated the pain. But then I was sat in the chair for 3 hours at a time. Totally worth it though...
Yeah pain depends on where they go and lenght of exposure. Overall not too bad though.

D6AMIA6N

I call it "The Jurassic Elbow". It's on my inner right forearm, and I absolutely love it.

fUrBt7k.jpg

Not really into Tats, have no piercings, but this is just awesome!

13ruce

Banned
I have a industrial piercing in my left ear and 2 helix in my right.

I already posted my tattoo's here i think (Imp Midna and Wolf Link)

I have appointments to fix up my generic tribal tattoo wich i got at a cheap artist it does not look bad but compared to the 2 Zelda tattoo's i have it looks "decent" compared to the high quality of those other 2.

Also getting this next year (Squid Sisters) on my back on top: http://i.imgur.com/l1JReGT.jpg

And this next year (Midna Human form) on my ribs: http://i.imgur.com/cEJFVuQ.jpg

Yeah it's expensive as hell but i rather pay the price than be sorry like that tribal (wich luckily will get fixed by the same skilled artist i go to now regulary dude is amazing and he offered me a reduced price for that tribal fix to make it look as good as my other tats)

Here are my Zelda tats if i haven't posted em yet sorry for the links i don't want the post too look too big:

http://i.imgur.com/YefK2lj.jpg (Wolf Link Portrait)

http://i.imgur.com/YDAnLDZ.jpg (Imp Midna)

On the other side of my torso is the tribal wich goes from my ribs to chest to my left arm i don't post a picture cus honestly it's just a tribal lol. But i will get that one touched up to look way better next year too.

Edit: these are my last tattoo's i am getting/fixed up for a long while for now cuz imo i only want to keep tats on my top body area. Nothing against a full body of tattoo's but i don't want it myself.

My first tattoo took 7 hours in one sitting (Covers most of my inner forearm. A lot of shading and a lot of dot work) and honestly the pain was fine, it just felt like I was being scratched over and over.

The only time I felt uncomfortable was when we would take breaks to clean it and let me stretch. Then it felt like my arm was on fire.

I've added more to it since, again sitting in 7 hours stints and the only time I've been in agony was when we did the areas around and on my elbow. That shit hurt.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Good luck man!

I'll post pictures. It's nothing elaborate, but it's cool that my wife was the one who wanted the couples tattoo and went as far as to schedule it and say "let's do it!". So, OK!

And I just looked back at your Jurassic Elbow and laughed. That's good stuff!

I have a industrial piercing in my left ear and 2 helix in my right.

I already posted my tattoo's here i think (Imp Midna and Wolf Link)

I have appointments to fix up my generic tribal tattoo wich i got at a cheap artist it does not look bad but compared to the 2 Zelda tattoo's i have it looks "decent" compared to the high quality of those other 2.

Also getting this next year (Squid Sisters) on my back on top: http://i.imgur.com/l1JReGT.jpg

And this next year (Midna Human form) on my ribs: http://i.imgur.com/cEJFVuQ.jpg

Yeah it's expensive as hell but i rather pay the price than be sorry like that tribal (wich luckily will get fixed by the same skilled artist i go to now regulary dude is amazing and he offered me a reduced price for that tribal fix to make it look as good as my other tats)

Here are my Zelda tats if i haven't posted em yet sorry for the links i don't want the post too look too big:

http://i.imgur.com/YefK2lj.jpg (Wolf Link Portrait)

http://i.imgur.com/YDAnLDZ.jpg (Imp Midna)

On the other side of my torso is the tribal wich goes from my ribs to chest to my left arm i don't post a picture cus honestly it's just a tribal lol. But i will get that one touched up to look way better next year too.

Edit: these are my last tattoo's i am getting/fixed up for a long while for now cuz imo i only want to keep tats on my top body area. Nothing against a full body of tattoo's but i don't want it myself.

I really like your Imp Midna. And the Squid Sisters one looks like it'll be aces.

The next tattoo I think I'll want is going to be game related. I'd like to get the N64 logo done without color - just black outline of the logo. And then something Earthbound related - either a small Mr Saturn or the Starman logo. If it's something that's been special and meaningful to me for over 20 years, I think I'm OK putting in on my body, haha.

Vlaphor

Alright everyone, I'm seriously ready to get my first ink, but I'm having trouble deciding on where I want it.

It's an amalgamation of the four elements from the Avatar (Last Airbender/Legend of Korra) franchise, and besides deciding on if I want it colored or in B&W, I'm trying to think about where I want it. Part of me wants it on the lower part of my inner arm, another part of me thinks I should get it higher up and on the outside of my arm, where a sleeve could cover it. My job doesn't care about tattoos, so that's not the issue, but I'm just trying to decide where I want my first one.

Any suggestions from the crowd here?

13ruce

Banned
I really like your Imp Midna. And the Squid Sisters one looks like it'll be aces.

The next tattoo I think I'll want is going to be game related. I'd like to get the N64 logo done without color - just black outline of the logo. And then something Earthbound related - either a small Mr Saturn or the Starman logo. If it's something that's been special and meaningful to me for over 20 years, I think I'm OK putting in on my body, haha.

Thank you,

Nice tattoo ideas, i recently bought Earthbound on 3ds console and i am enjoying it greatly so far, your tattoo ideas sound awesome too btw!

If you really want it why not? I was worried about my videogame tattoo's too but in the end it's your tattoo and body not someone elses.

Some people might dislike it and some might love it. What can you do about that tbh, it matters what it means to you the most:p

13ruce

Banned
Alright everyone, I'm seriously ready to get my first ink, but I'm having trouble deciding on where I want it.

It's an amalgamation of the four elements from the Avatar (Last Airbender/Legend of Korra) franchise, and besides deciding on if I want it colored or in B&W, I'm trying to think about where I want it. Part of me wants it on the lower part of my inner arm, another part of me thinks I should get it higher up and on the outside of my arm, where a sleeve could cover it. My job doesn't care about tattoos, so that's not the issue, but I'm just trying to decide where I want my first one.

Any suggestions from the crowd here?

Nice looks awesome! I really like the avatar series too. About the placement both places are fine to be honest but maybe go to a good tattoo shop/artist first and ask there opinion on placement?

Imo both places can work so it's about the place you would prefer the most. But a tattoo's artist opinion is better imo.

But really neat i suggest coloring it looks better with the elements going on, altho i recommend strongly putting sunscreen on it during summer if you get it colored because the sun can fade colors in a tattoo.

Edit: sorry for double post thought i edited this in the last one....

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Done! Wife is going now. Pics coming in a bit!

I had to take a break after 20-ish minutes. I was locking my knees and not breathing ha. Took a moment, had some water, got my bearings straight, and then things were aces. Weird feeling, haha.

E: Here they are!

spH0YRb.jpg

I've had a lot of tattoo work done since I last posted photos on NeoGAF but today was a big day because I started work on a forearm sleeve that connects to an upper arm sleeve I had done six years ago. Both done by Jason Vaughn at Deluxe in Chicago.

The snake is based off a detail in a Japanese print I own. Just the outlines today. It was a three hour session and I'm beat. 😩 Coloring will take 2-3 more sessions.

Vlaphor

I said I was going to get it done and I finally did.

I was trying to get a better picture, but it turns out that it's kinda hard to take a photo of your forearm and nobody else was around. Still, I like how it looks quite a bit, and it'll be even better once it fully heals up (got it two days ago). I went in Saturday evening looking for a consultation and to set up an appointment and he tells me he can do it right now. He quotes me a price $40 below a previous price I had been quoted, and I get it done in a little more than 60 minutes.

Here's an earlier pic if you want to see it in better light (right after I got it)

So yeah, I like how it looks now and I'm sure it'll look even better once it fully heals...and I want to get another one. I'm thinking a Bayonetta one, maybe something like this.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-13/art/bayo-bayonetta-butterfly-wings.jpg

thought I'm not sure where I'd put it.

I contacted a tattoo artist that my friend highly recommended, about getting the tattoo from the fountain on my right arm. The guy just replied "I won't make it as it is, but rather a similar design. My interpretation of it".

This is my first time getting a tattoo, so I have no idea if this is common.

Imo, it was a bit rude. What if I'd gone in there with a tattoo that represented my dead mom or something, and he just went "I will do my interpretation of it".

Is this normal?

I contacted a tattoo artist that my friend highly recommended, about getting the tattoo from the fountain on my right arm. The guy just replied "I won't make it as it is, but rather a similar design. My interpretation of it".

Imo, it was a bit rude. What if I'd gone in there with a tattoo that represented my dead mom or something, and he just went "I will do my interpretation of it".

Is this normal?

It is common if they are an established tattooer who has their own style. Most tattooers start off doing walk-ins where they just tattoo whatever random request people have, so they deal with a lot of dumb or shitty tattoos early on in their career. Once they're more established and have a consistent client base, they can do more of what they want in their own style, and they can be pretty up front about that because they've worked hard to get to that point. It can come across as rude (and it is, kind of) but you have to keep in mind they are artists that have worked hard to learn a craft and develop their work, so they want to defend that. If you just want it as is, you could probably just do a walk-in at decent shop, you don't need a specific tattooer to do it for you.

HiiiLife

Is this normal?

Eh. It’s very normal for artists to do that. You’re welcome to voice your opinion about something he sketched up that you didn’t like, it’s your money and your body. But this is their profession. You wouldn’t go to a realistic style person and tell him to do a neo traditional. They’re gonna put their own twist on it. They’re also not mind readers, so don’t expect them to ink what you have in your imagination to a T.

If you aren’t turned off by the artists comment, you’re better off finding an artist who spefically specializes in the style you want. You’d be surprised.

It is common if they are an established tattooer who has their own style. Most tattooers start off doing walk-ins where they just tattoo whatever random request people have, so they deal with a lot of dumb or shitty tattoos early on in their career. Once they're more established and have a consistent client base, they can do more of what they want in their own style, and they can be pretty up front about that because they've worked hard to get to that point. It can come across as rude (and it is, kind of) but you have to keep in mind they are artists that have worked hard to learn a craft and develop their work, so they want to defend that. If you just want it as is, you could probably just do a walk-in at decent shop, you don't need a specific tattooer to do it for you.

Eh. It’s very normal for artists to do that. You’re welcome to voice your opinion about something he sketched up that you didn’t like, it’s your money and your body. But this is their profession. You wouldn’t go to a realistic style person and tell him to do a neo traditional. They’re gonna put their own twist on it. They’re also not mind readers, so don’t expect them to ink what you have in your imagination to a T.

If you aren’t turned off by the artists comment, you’re better off finding an artist who spefically specializes in the style you want. You’d be surprised.

The weird part is that my friend went there with a painting he wanted tattooed, and the guy went with it with no objections. Might've been because of the design though.

But the other weird part, is that I specifically went to him because his instagram is nothing but tattooes in the style mine is. Not like I went to him with something completely out of his comfort zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom