• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Destiny 2, shaders are now one-time use. (And yes, tied to microtransactions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diablo III does dyeing better, and has significantly more free post-launch support than Destiny. Guild Wars 2 does dyeing better, and is a buy-to-play MMO with significantly more free post-launch support than Destiny. Warframe is a F2P game that does dyeing better, and... Should I continue?

PC players have to wait almost 2 months to even play this, missing out on the discovery of the raid, and how to complete it, possibly getting spoiled on the story and waiting months for the PS4 exclusive content....

And people are complaining about colouring your player.

Fuck guys, bit of perspective here.
Yes, think of the poor PC players. Stop posting any negative Destiny 2 threads without taking into consideration the possibility a poor PC player might see it and be reminded of the fact that they can't play the game yet.

Real talk: I honestly don't mind the way they're handling shaders by making them single-use. It seems like they'll be easy enough to find and give a decent reason to keep looking for me.

I'm not a fan of the whole slot machine approach for microtransactions. If I'm going to pay extra money in a $60 game, I'd like to know the content I'm getting from it. As a result, I will not spend any money on that system to show that I don't support it. Overwatch is the only exception to that rule for me, but the loot boxes there are the reason that all new content is free.

Finally, I personally don't feel like this approach is forcing me towards spending extra money. I'm not really one to gamble so I feel no draw towards paying for a chance at something I want in the game. I can definitely see how this can negatively affect those who are susceptible to that mindset though, and that's where things get shitty.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So what? Bungie has every right to monetize cosmetics however they see fit. Paying for guns and the likes I'd be pissed over, but "evolving" their monetization around cosmetics is just expected. As long as companies keep making money off cosmetics and not game-affecting items, I'm 100% okay with it.

Every day we're reaching new lows. It's fascinating, really.

'Evolving'. You slay me. Wonder how they'll 'evolve' in the coming years.

Kaiken

Banned
Let them hear it Gaf. I'm doing my part. This is fucking ridiculous. I loved swapping between my favorite shaders depending on what armor set I had on.

Shitty way to do things, especially after not carrying over shaders from the first game, even those purchased with Silver.

This looks like a very free-to-play move to make in such an already expensive series. Actually, the only free-to-play game I play that sells colors like this doesn't even make them single use.

Yes, think of the poor PC players. Stop posting any negative Destiny 2 threads without taking into consideration the possibility a poor PC player might see it and be reminded of the fact that they can't play the game yet.

Again, perspective.

You want a negative Destiny 2 thread? Go to the thread about it crashing for PS4 Pro players, that's worth complaining about.

Changing the colour of your fucking shoes is not.

jviggy43

Obnoxious. So tired of the micro transaction trends in gaming and I know its only going to get worse.

Yeah good thing indie developer Bungle isn't using any other form of monetization on this game.

Poor good guys Bungie/Activision trying to just make it in the industry with their 500 million/500 employees resources.

Again, perspective.

You want a negative Destiny 2 thread? Go to the thread about it crashing for PS4 Pro players, that's worth complaining about.

Different people value different things, some people like the semblance of RPG elements Destiny 1 had. Nobody is forcing you to post in this thread.

Gator86

Dyes are consumables in any other MMO as well, they're ink pots you use on your armor to give them a color. It's actually crazy shaders are forever usable.

I can understand why it bothers people coming from 1 though, I hope this will change in the future if there's enough buzz about it.

Destiny forever an MMO when convenient and a shared world shooter or whatever when not. I've played more Final Fantasy 14 than anything else this year and shaders for gear are one-time use, but virtually free unless they're an incredibly rare variant.

I want to see what the latter parts of the game look like. You're constantly changing your armor and look like dogshit throughout the first 20 levels anyway so it doesn't make much difference. Maybe they drop plentifully or are incredibly easy to pick up, which would offset the one-time use issue. With the change, they add another reward type to activities to make sure you consistently get interesting stuff whereas before you'd get one good shader and be set. Guessing it's more a monetization scheme though.

Melchiah

I wonder how many pages of "This isn't any big deal" this thread will get from people who feel that they need to defend this.

This is kind of shitty practice for Destiny when you take into account how shaders were dealt with in the past. Especially considering how often people will probably changes loadouts and gear. I had one favorite shader from D1 that I put on for everything I wore and I would be really annoyed if I had to buy a new one for every outfit or piece I decided to change into.

Same here. Super Black shader on everything. Now I wouldn't be able to use it for Arc and Solar Burn activities, when I switch from the usual Void gear.

Stiler

Why can't more games use a system like Guild Wars 2, that was a great dye system.

You unlock a dye and then it's unlocked to use and play with on anything you have.

They have a ton of dyes with a ton of different shades/colors so it evens out in terms of having a lot of dyes to get (or buy) vs being able to freely use one as much as you want when you get it.

Sullichin

Again, perspective.

What does the PC release have to do with this at all?
I'm also waiting for the PC version to come out. And I'm glad this thread exists so I can hear about this bullshit too.

finalflame

Gold Member
Every day we're reaching new lows. It's fascinating, really.

'Evolving'. You slay me. Wonder how they'll 'evolve' in the coming years.

It's cosmetics. I don't care if they sell shaders in RNG loot boxes that cost $25 a pop and only have a 0.0001% chance of giving the one you want, I'd just laugh at the people actually spending money on it.

Ryuuga

Banned
Pick your Defense:
1) "What's the problem? They're trying to add value to loot boxes"
2) Exaggerate posts expressing disappointment to appear rational
3) "Do you even play Destiny?"
4) "Devs gotta eat"

Why can't more games use a system like Guild Wars 2, that was a great dye system.

You unlock a dye and then it's unlocked to use and play with on anything you have.

They have a ton of dyes with a ton of different shades/colors so it evens out in terms of having a lot of dyes to get (or buy) vs being able to freely use one as much as you want when you get it.

So like destiny 1.

I support this tbh. Developers need to make money somehow. This is extremely harmless.
Yup, poor Bungie, with their $60 game and $105 worth of expansion packs. What will they do without their dye-related microtransaction loot boxes?

Again, perspective.

People care about cosmetics in video games. People care when a developer releases a sequel that handles cosmetics more poorly than its predecessor all for the sake of microtransactions.

How are you seriously writing these posts and pressing submit thinking you're right in criticizing this thread's right to exist solely because other people are facing more important issues?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Again, perspective.

What are you even talking about at this point. You see the thread title, right?

Is there a sort of invisible line on what is an issue and what isn't?

What does the PC release have to do with this at all?
I'm also waiting for the PC version to come out. And I'm glad this thread exists so I can hear about this bullshit too.

Why is it bullshit? According to this very thread they drop at a fairly decent rate. You'll end up getting the same shaders multiple times also.

I fail to see an issue. If it's the micro transaction aspect of it then don't pay. It's cosmetic after all.

Melchiah

i’m curious of where these threads are for all the other games that make you pay for cosmetics?

Perhaps those games have more free content, instead of expensive expansions. I'm not against these kind of practises in, say, Let It Die, but that's a free-to-play game.

It's cosmetics. I don't care if they sell shaders in RNG loot boxes that cost $25 a pop and only have a 0.0001% chance of giving the one you want, I'd just laugh at the people actually spending money on it.
This also punishes the people who pay $60 + $170 for the game though as it's a blatant regression from the previous game and is a huge QOL stepback and reeks of f2p crappiness in a game that is anything but.
Ok? Is it immoral to make money? It's just dyes lol...
Yes actually, I would argue that this instance of money-making is immoral.

Plasma

Banned
It's absolute bullshit I just got some shaders today and now I don't want to use them because I'm swapping out my armour so frequently. The first game handled it so much better where you could swap the shaders out whenever you wanted.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I support this tbh. Developers need to make money somehow. This is extremely harmless.

I feel like some people are missing the point here.

The main point is that they are consumable and SOME of them are tied to microtransactions.

Also, what you said is nonsense. They're making money.

ExVicis

I wonder how many people will shit post on destiny in every thread when pretending they don't.

Yes I do agree that this is a disappointing change, I don't like the shaders being used up and having to wait for them to drop but I do like that you can apply them to pieces individually. So I hope they find a better solution than this.
I can hope as much as I want but what it is now it what it is and I'm annoyed by it a lot. If they tweak it later to something not nearly so cumbersome and tedious then that's a big pro for them and would go a long way for me to have more faith in some of these little things they keep trying to slip into the game that I find to be not great.

And also it's nice that you want to defend the game from being shitposted but... c'mon that's not an excuse to defend it in every thread with frustrating arguments like "Yeah you're right but it's not a big deal to me" as if that's more substantial than "I hate this game! it's shit!"

Edit: If this is something that for some unknown reason really has to be done then a consumable with maybe like 3 or 5 uses before it goes away would be probably an acceptable middle ground.

Daffy Duck

And this is the whole reason CoD is in the mess it's in.

People will pay it and it will get worse and worse whilst you are sat there laughing to yourself wondering how it ended up there in the first place.

i’m curious of where these threads are for all the other games that make you pay for cosmetics?
Hello Junior.

We get threads for literally every big game with cosmetics.

Look at Overwatch for example, a game that gets nothing but free post-launch content. Tons and tons of threads about people who just want every single cosmetic in the game for free.

Destiny 2 is a $60 game with expansive as fuck expansions. This is hardly the type of game that can justify this.

The Rocket League devs made a point about how expensive it was to keep their dedicated servers up for their game, so they needed a microtransaction system. And they justify it by also releasing tons of free content.

Destiny 2 is P2P, has a AAA publisher/dev, and like I said, expensive expansions.

Hoo-doo

Banned

How about unique weapon models for the legendary weapons.
I mean, those are 100% cosmetic and have zero impact on gameplay.
You wouldn't think it was an issue if Bungie started selling slot machine spins to obtain those?

The point isn't whether it's just cosmetic DLC or not. It's the fact that it used to be a core part of the customization in the first game. Now it has a paywall. That's the part that sucks.

Didn't Destiny 1 limit the amount of shaders you could have at a given time though? It's a similar system to the one in the post you replied to but not exactly the same.
On your character yes, 9 slots, however you have a kiosk (same for emblems, ships, sparrows, and emotes) where every shader youve unlocked resides that you can go and get an infinite number of times.

Destiny 1 cost players $170 (vanilla+expansions). I don't think of Bungie/Activision as the scrappy underdog here when it comes to extracting revenue from the playerbase.

finalflame

Gold Member
And this is the whole reason CoD is in the mess it's in.

People will pay it and it will get worse and worse whilst you are sat there laughing to yourself wondering how it ended up there in the first place.

As long as it's cosmetics, I won't be wondering about anything. The moment they monetize anything that affects gameplay in a significant manner, I'll drop the game immediately or just never pick it up to begin with. The line is fairly clear -- cosmetics = do whatever you want, gameplay items = don't.

Sullichin

Why is it bullshit? According to this very thread they drop at a fairly decent rate. You'll end up getting the same shaders multiple times also.

I fail to see an issue. If it's the micro transaction aspect of it then don't pay. It's cosmetic after all.

In Destiny 1 I can change my shader without destroying the one I'm already using. I can't in Destiny 2. And they're tied to microtransactions.

It's not a huge deal, but it's just objectively worse than how it works in Destiny 1. It's a design choice driven by microtransactions. Nothing to be happy about there.

The main point is that they are consumable and SOME of them are tied to microtransactions.

Not being sarcastic here, but did I miss the part that says some shaders are only available via microtransaction? I got the impression that they're just tied to random drops and also found in Bright Engrams, which can be bought or attained via gameplay.

Subxero

This is disappointing. I really enjoyed collecting shades and emblems in D1, even more than guns. It was nice to just swap them out whenever.

I didn't buy silver in D1. I'm not going to in D2 either.

BigEmil

Please people don't buy their microtransactions don't support their shitty greedy practise

Damn Activision/Bungie

Primus

This is a distinct, negative change from D1 that Bungie kept secret until launch. That's my biggest takeaway issue here.

Daffy Duck

As long as it's cosmetics, I won't be wondering about anything. The moment they monetize anything that affects gameplay in a significant manner, I'll drop the game immediately or just never pick it up to begin with. The line is fairly clear -- cosmetics = do whatever you want, gameplay items = don't.

You sound like me with CoD, however they still get me by the balls as they know exactly how to get you.

This is incredibly lame. I wish when we breakdown armor we could get the shaders used on it.

Don't do it to yourself.

NandoGip

I'm not missing the point, I'm just one of many who don't find a problem with the way they're doing it. I prefer this than paywalls for actual content.

Also so what if they're making money? They have historically released quality products, they deserve it.

Some of you need to look into the costs of game dev and how $60 isn't nearly enough. If people were willing to cough up more than that much back when they made the push, DLC/F2P/microtransactions wouldn't be as prevalent.

I'm not speaking about just Bungie, I'm talking about game dev in general.

On top of all this... the tried and true response to whenever someone whines about DLC/etc... "No one is forcing you to pay for it"

edit: cue the tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom