• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Is that a Mustang? That is a Mustang. This can't be a thing. Why would someone do this?

Anyway. Just Buffed, Polished, and Waxed the car today. Took me from 0800 to 1400 to finish.
34692613504_40a1351f26_b.jpg

35534039005_7270369cc3_b.jpg

The sparkles in the paint really pop now and the paint swirls are virtually gone.

I will probably pay someone $350 bucks to do this next time. I almost died doing this in the California heat. There is still some wax on the car I've got to rub in, but I was too excited and went ahead and took pictures. Saturday the car will be getting tented. I've found a paint shop that's got good word of mouth in the area and I'll be getting in touch with them tomorrow.

Also. I'm having some serious problems finding spacers and lowering springs for this car. From my understanding I'm going to need an adapter which this company can do.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters.html

But I don't know how long the studs need to be. I'll be calling them tomorrow. Seems like a 15mm offset on all 4 wheels is the way to go an dyou'll need to shave the existing bolts by 3mm to make the rim flush with the adapter.

I'm also currently looking at this for lowering springs, but I feel like they are a tad bit expensive

http://www.velocityap.com/Jaguar-F-...ng-Springs-p/vel-jaguarftypesprings003004.htm

Any help is appreciated.

Yep. That's a Mustang.

Now:

1) We have the same color! How insane does it look when it's that clean and swirl free? It's like staring into a nebula. It's absolutely mesmerizing up close, you really do get lost in it.

2) Regarding the mods. You and I are basically in the same boat here. I went with Spires springs, which are built by Eibach. Velocity is a fantastic company (Stuart's a great guy and owner). H&R makes springs for F-Type Rs, but the drop may be a bit too low (1.2 inches). http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-Sport-L...ash=item4b1a5668c2:g:44oAAOSwtGlZA4Ym&vxp=mtr

The model number ending with the "-2" at the end is for the Rs. Velocity is under 1 inch, which is just right and also (just like the Spires drop) doesn't require camber kits, so you can still get the alignment back in spec.

Gyrodyne wheels have an offset of 55F (9 inches wide) and 38R (10.5 wide). You should have a fairly safe amount of room for 15mm spacers all around. You don't need a 'wheel adapter'. All of the major companies make spacers for our cars and they're hubcentric, so they slide right on. Here's an H&R one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-15mm-wh...ash=item58d9425cbd:g:hZMAAOSw-0xYZzdt&vxp=mtr

Good luck! Don't be afraid to search around and ask me more questions.

Mustang. I think it actually looks pretty good straight from the rear, not sure if it would look as good overall from say a 3/4 rear shot though.

I agree. I didn't hate it.

burgerdog

Uhhh, wtf? Just saw this on the road. Took a picture, Googled it...and apparently this is a thing:

ford-mustang-modified-new-ferrari-458-circle-led-taillight-10.jpg

I'll let you guys figure out what car this is. I don't hate the look, to be honest. But the owner is a douche for using those badges.

I can dig the look but holy shit that badge. I can't even wrap my head around people doing that. Anybody that is actually into cars can spot a fake amg/RS/M car easily. For people that don't care about cars, those badges mean nothing. That ferrari badge takes it a little too far because I'd say more people than not know what it is. Wouldn't be surprised if he fools a good amount of people every day.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Went on a tour of the Sierras to meet up with a buddy who picked up a new car. Lots of fun, pictures, and comments

Nlf671a.jpg

imagine being butthurt over a badge

Us you mean?

Well, I definitely wouldn't go so far as to call the guy a douche, but it is kinda lame. In Dutch we have an expression 'Liever naakt dan namaak.' Which means you'd rather be nude than wear fake shit. And this isn't even fake shit, it's a Mustang. Except now it does look like fake shit.

Toyota crowns!

Really?

The headlight shape and rims are very Infiniti-esque.

That reminds me, I still really want an older Lexus GS and VIP it lol.

But I've only seen less than 5 VIP's here in the Dallas area so I imagine people will think I'm a creep if I've got panties on my headrest hahaha.

Us you mean?

Well, I definitely wouldn't go so far as to call the guy a douche, but it is kinda lame. In Dutch we have an expression 'Liever naakt dan namaak.' Which means you'd rather be nude than wear fake shit. And this isn't even fake shit, it's a Mustang. Except now it does look like fake shit.

I saw a Boxster the other day with Ferrari badges on the front quarters. Dude. It's already a Porsche, why isn't that enough?

I saw a few corvetts with ferarri badges, and the thing is that some people won't even know the difference from a corvette to a ferrari.

When I had an NSX majority thought it was a corvette or a ferrari.

Also I see old toyotas with ferrari badges.

I dont really mind cause its their car and they can do what ever they want. Some are dreamers and doing that makes them happy..who em I to judge them for that.

Futaba

Really?

The headlight shape and rims are very Infiniti-esque.

That reminds me, I still really want an older Lexus GS and VIP it lol.

But I've only seen less than 5 VIP's here in the Dallas area so I imagine people will think I'm a creep if I've got panties on my headrest hahaha.

To be exact they're 2012 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon's
0027_tjZ0X7fM.jpg

Even down to the OEM rims.

Smokey

Uhhh, wtf? Just saw this on the road. Took a picture, Googled it...and apparently this is a thing:

ford-mustang-modified-new-ferrari-458-circle-led-taillight-10.jpg

I'll let you guys figure out what car this is. I don't hate the look, to be honest. But the owner is a douche for using those badges.

Let that man eat lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Went on a tour of the Sierras to meet up with a buddy who picked up a new car. Lots of fun, pictures, and comments

Nlf671a.jpg

I wonder what the Subaru hoonage is like after screenings of baby driver. Be like cars n coffee mustangs but with correctable overseer...

AlphaSnake

I'm getting my wheels powdercoated to a gunmetal color.

My dealer has a company that comes and does at their booth in the shop.

AlphaSnake

Going from chrome to gunmetal. You ain't ready for how much better it's going to look after it's done!

Mine aren't chrome right now. They're just plain super light grey without any depth. Just bleh.

My 370Z had a gunmetal-like color on OEM wheels, and I never wanted to touch them. They were beautiful. But the OEM XKR 19s have the flattest color a performance car could possibly have. Dealership originally quoted me 250 per wheel. I asked them to bring it down to 200.

I like the convenience and peace of mind knowing my car won't be in some shitty part of town without wheels (where these kinds of wheel shops normally are) and will be fully protected against any damage. So paying $800 or so is good to me.

Momentary

Banned
Yep. That's a Mustang.

Now:

1) We have the same color! How insane does it look when it's that clean and swirl free? It's like staring into a nebula. It's absolutely mesmerizing up close, you really do get lost in it.

2) Regarding the mods. You and I are basically in the same boat here. I went with Spires springs, which are built by Eibach. Velocity is a fantastic company (Stuart's a great guy and owner). H&R makes springs for F-Type Rs, but the drop may be a bit too low (1.2 inches). http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-Sport-L...ash=item4b1a5668c2:g:44oAAOSwtGlZA4Ym&vxp=mtr

The model number ending with the "-2" at the end is for the Rs. Velocity is under 1 inch, which is just right and also (just like the Spires drop) doesn't require camber kits, so you can still get the alignment back in spec.

Gyrodyne wheels have an offset of 55F (9 inches wide) and 38R (10.5 wide). You should have a fairly safe amount of room for 15mm spacers all around. You don't need a 'wheel adapter'. All of the major companies make spacers for our cars and they're hubcentric, so they slide right on. Here's an H&R one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-15mm-wh...ash=item58d9425cbd:g:hZMAAOSw-0xYZzdt&vxp=mtr

Good luck! Don't be afraid to search around and ask me more questions.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and to my first round of mods all in one swoop

Tint = $240 to $450 depending on the type. The good one helps reflect UV or some bullshit
H&R Spacers = ~$300
Powdercoat Semi-Gloss Black = $675 for all for rims. Unmounting and remounting is included in the price

Velocity Springs
Velocity Down pipes
Velocity Overdrive Pulley
Velocity Crank Pulley
Velocity ECU
------------------
$3940 (not including labor)

Total =

$5155 to $5365

Potential BHP = around 640 BHP (without the Crank Pulley). They don't have numbers with the crank pulley installed.

Next will be to swap out with a Big Break Kit. I called R1 Concept and they said the F-Type R can fit an 8 piston in the front and 6 piston in the back for $5500. I didn't ask for the price of 6 in front and 4 in the back... Which I feel is the way to go. 8 and 6 seems like overkill. Rotors are cheap... Break Calipers are so damn expensive. It costs more than all the bolt ons + paint + tint combined.

My wife convinced me to drive the car for 2 to 3 months so I get used to the power now before going crazy.

AlphaSnake

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and to my first round of mods all in one swoop

Tint = $240 to $450 depending on the type. The good one helps reflect UV or some bullshit
H&R Spacers = ~$300
Powdercoat Semi-Gloss Black = $675 for all for rims. Unmounting and remounting is included in the price

Velocity Springs
Velocity Down pipes
Velocity Overdrive Pulley
Velocity Crank Pulley
Velocity ECU
------------------
$3940 (not including labor)

Total =

$5155 to $5365

Potential BHP = around 640 BHP (without the Crank Pulley). They don't have numbers with the crank pulley installed.

Next will be to swap out with a Big Break Kit. I called R1 Concept and they said the F-Type R can fit an 8 piston in the front and 6 piston in the back for $5500. I didn't ask for 6 in front and 4 in the back... Which I feel is the way to go. 8 and 6 seems like overkill. Rotors are cheap... Break Calipers are so damn expensive. It costs more than all the bolt ons + paint + tint combined.

My wife convinced me to drive the car for 2 to 3 months so I get used to the power now before going crazy.

Haha, you're going all out. There are tons of power mods for these motors that get them to stupid fast levels. Oddly enough, power mods are last on my list for my car. Once the looks are done, I'm going to do a simple tune without the pulley to get it to 560HP and call it a day.

I forgot, what did you own before? I almost wanna say GT-R. But I may be confused.

Momentary

Banned
Haha, you're going all out. There are tons of power mods for these motors that get them to stupid fast levels. Oddly enough, power mods are last on my list for my car. Once the looks are done, I'm going to do a simple tune without the pulley to get it to 560HP and call it a day.

I forgot, what did you own before? I almost wanna say GT-R. But I may be confused.

I only test drove a GT-R. This is my first high end sports car. My car lineage is:

1991 Geo Metro (3 Cyl.)
1996 Mercury Tracer
1991 3000gt SL (worst car I ever owned
2005 Honda Pilot
2006 Toyota Solara
2008 350z
2010 FJ Cruiser
2013 Scion TC (Current Daily driver)
2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate (Horrible car. Huge manual Transmission issues. Went through 5. The state declared it a lemon.) Got my money back)
2016 Land Rover Discovery (Current Family ride)
2015 Jaguar F-Type R (Current weekend driver.)

Only car I've ever bought brand new is the Genesis.

SliChillax

I came to post this. JWW is killing it right now, he's getting access to cars that fully fledged journalists struggle to get access to. Further proof that this whole car youtubing game is all about connections and having strong editing skills.

He's also filthy rich already. He's doing this YouTube thing for fun not for money like the rest. He's also a very charismatic character, I can watch his videos all day but I can't even watch 1 second of Shmee's videos.

TFGB

@Rayge lovely F-Type there mate!

I rented an F-Pace for the week to drive around Italy last week (Venice to Lake Garda & Dolomites). I was so impressed, that I'm thinking of getting one....most probably the 3.0 V6 S. It handled the scary roads around the Dolomites with confidence. :)

Over all the miles we covered, I didn't see another single F-Pace at all which surprised me. They seem to be something of a rarity over there, which is why I think it garnered quite a lot of looks!

35463997196_0181478484_h.jpg

Yeah they did that on us too, the youtuber i was there with took some shots as he was leaving), basically the meet started around 8pm, by 8:40 30 or so people had arrived and the police walked around the lot taking pictures and video of all the parked cars, then cordoned off the entrance to the parking area, not allowing any other vehicles in, the company hosting the meet posted up a new location to the attendees (covertly, like) and they quietly made their way there instead.

No police at all at the second location, though it was in a relatively random place.

Swiped this from one of the guys who was there, this was outside the entrance to the parking area (you can see the cops standing around where the entrance is behind the vehicles, flagging down anyone whos car looked like it might be a little... *too* modified.
JxXCqFB.jpg

Bring your ass back to Japan sometime and we'll do our best to get hastled by the police ;)

Crazy! It sounds exactly what happened to me. Unfortunately by the time it was broken up, it was rather late, and there wasn't another spot that people could have hit up.

And you'll be one of the first people I contact once it touch down ^_^

AlphaSnake

I only test drove a GT-R. This is my first high end sports car. My car lineage is:

1991 Geo Metro (3 Cyl.)
1996 Mercury Tracer
1991 3000gt SL (worst car I ever owned
2005 Honda Pilot
2006 Toyota Solara
2008 350z
2010 FJ Cruiser
2013 Scion TC (Current Daily driver)
2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate (Horrible car. Huge manual Transmission issues. Went through 5. The state declared it a lemon.) Got my money back)
2016 Land Rover Discovery (Current Family ride)
2015 Jaguar F-Type R (Current weekend driver.)

Only car I've ever bought brand new is the Genesis.

Oh right! I forgot we both had 350Zs together.

Stinkles

This thing sits in the basement garage of my Mother In Law's assisted living complex. The dude who drives it is an octogenarian and eh drives it very carefully. But not as carefully as he gets in and out of it.

a4RiPVU.jpg

SliChillax

Looks horrible with the wing. If it was a Black Series it would look a bit decent at least. BTW, what's with that ugly bulky thing US cars have where the rear licence plate is?

Stinkles

Looks horrible with the wing. If it was a Black Series it would look a bit decent at least. BTW, what's with that ugly bulky thing US cars have where the rear licence plate is?

It's the law. It's a residual bumper. You see it on lots of US exotics. It is also a Black series, I believe. It has all the right carbon inserts and the interior trim. This model is a couple of years old now and has a different set of rear ground effects, but Black nonetheless.

burgerdog

It's a US thing, unfortunately. Seems like Mercedes really likes using them.

US-spec c63
attendees-view-the-2017-daimler-ag-mercedesbenz-amg-c63-s-coupe-picture-id497737608

Porsche did it a while back, too.
2009_cayman_101.jpg

It's a shame Dodge is still unreliable.

I'm seeing a lot of 6MT SRT's on the used market that's well within my budget but it's reliability is keeping me away.

Maybe that's why there's a lot of them out there too?

Evo X

Picked up the new Aventador SV Roadster today. Good Lord, that thing is insane.

I got to drive it on the way back to my house and even with keeping the revs below 6K, it feels incredibly special. Probably the most theatrical supercar out there. Can't wait to give it another go after the break in period.

SliChillax

Is Ceramic Pro worth it? Anyone have experience with it? Seems like too much marketing mumbo jumbo to me like protection from water etc as if that's gonna damage anything. Is clear bra a better solution?

matmanx1

Picked up the new Aventador SV Roadster today. Good Lord, that thing is insane.

I got to drive it on the way back to my house and even with keeping the revs below 6K, it feels incredibly special. Probably the most theatrical supercar out there. Can't wait to give it another go after the break in period.

Nice! I bet it's tons of fun and sounds as good as it looks, right? Need pics, for the good of Auto-Gaf!

What's the general opinion on the looks of a Fisher Karma Revero?

I saw one today in my rear view mirror and that grille is hideous. It's like a mustache/mentally retarded BMW.

The rest of the car looks really good though.

SliChillax

What's the general opinion on the looks of a Fisher Karma Revero?

I saw one today in my rear view mirror and that grille is hideous. It's like a mustache/mentally retarded BMW.

The rest of the car looks really good though.

I love the proportions of the car but like you said that mustache ruins it.

Top Bottom