• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Audioboxer

Started farming the bridge level in way of the hard. Seems everyone is wearing kingos armour or red demon armour. Anyway, have a full divine set on my red demon/spear build.

I missed the trophy for the use every recovery pool/bath. I assume the game doesn't tell you what level you are missing out on and I'll probably just have to re-do the whole game? lol.

Also need to use an Axe for a bit to get my stats up with it so I can complete the final dojo mission.

foxdvd

I missed the trophy for the use every recovery pool/bath. I assume the game doesn't tell you what level you are missing out on and I'll probably just have to re-do the whole game? lol.

The game does not tell you...but it does tell you what % you have done. What I did was watch a guide, and I was able to remember if it was on I did or not. I was missing two, and it was really easy with a good guide to remember if I had found one or not.

foxdvd

Watched a bit of someone streaming this last night and there's a later spirit guardian called Phoenix, which does exactly what you expect it to do. As someone who doesn't use it a lot that seems like a great option!

Later in the game, as I started to use living weapon less and less, I used this as basically a get out of jail free card.

Also it has very high tenacity so when it procs at low life it is even stronger.

I finished the last mission in NG+, but I guess you need to do the previous story missions in the region to unlock the epilogue, or you need to do sub missions too. The difficulty hasn't been an issue, but I have skipped some sub missions in the last two regions due to the tedium of fighting in the same locations, and the fact they go overboard with fucking snipers all over. I could see myself getting burnt out after I 100% NG+.

I bet the double Tengu is going to be the hardest fight in NG+. The normal type bosses melt pretty quick.

Deku Tree

The one thing that I wish Nioh had that it doesn't is massive enemy variety. I really like so many things about Nioh, but it is certainly lacking in the enemy variety department. A game like this should have hundreds of different enemy types and have new ones that are introduced in almost every new stage.

Twookie

The one thing that I wish Nioh had that it doesn't is massive enemy variety. I really like so many things about Nioh, but it is certainly lacking in the enemy variety department. A game like this should have hundreds of different enemy types and have new ones that are introduced in almost every new stage.

agreed, but I'll let it go because it's their first game of what could be a potential series and because the gameplay of the game is really good.

although to me, hundreds(!) of different enemy types seem unrealistic to implement in most games, but what do I know

hyp

agreed. the combat is so sublime that it was jarring when trying out horizon's melee combat. it's gonna be hard to top nioh's combat, so i hope the DLC can carry this game in to the future, especially with new enemies (not just bosses).

agreed. the combat is so sublime that it was jarring when trying out horizon's melee combat. it's gonna be hard to top nioh's combat, so i hope the DLC can carry this game in to the future, especially with new enemies (not just bosses).

It's pretty much my only particularly big issue with it, but it is quite glaring. I also wish human enemies were used more frequently and broadly and that (most at least) yokai types would be parryble.

That being said, I'm really curious to see how the DLC will handle this as well even if it is mainly to see if they're addressing this issue/are aware of it.

FrankWza

The description for season pass mentions new enemies. Hopefully not just bosses or a paint job on existing enemies.

Feeling down on the game after someone on Reddit like offered some weirdly rude and severe criticism on my weapon/armor build, lol. I asked for some tips on what to reforge and he went straight savage.

Deku Tree

Feeling down on the game after someone on Reddit like offered some weirdly rude and severe criticism on my weapon/armor build, lol. I asked for some tips on what to reforge and he went straight savage.

people on the internet can be rude. why don't you ask your question here?

people on the internet can be rude. why don't you ask your question here?

I wanted to but I felt that posting like eight pictures in one post may have been a little overboard, lol.

Imgur link. Some of the positive criticism was that I'm wasting space by having amrita earned on the inheritable traits as it's supposedly easy to reforge on a regular stat, and that instead I should be inheriting attack. I figure I might also get rid of toughness.

I wanted to but I felt that posting like eight pictures in one post may have been a little overboard, lol.

Imgur link. Some of the positive criticism was that I'm wasting space by having amrita earned on the inheritable traits as it's supposedly easy to reforge on a regular stat, and that instead I should be inheriting attack. I figure I might also get rid of toughness.

Rockin' that Miso Soup bowl!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So beside the upcoming DLC, are there any features, additions, rebalancing patches, etc. coming soon for free?

Some of the positive criticism was that I'm wasting space by having amrita earned on the inheritable traits as it's supposedly easy to reforge on a regular stat, and that instead I should be inheriting attack. I figure I might also get rid of toughness.

Yeah, toughness as a special effect should only be used if you're borderlining that 200 threshold.

Way I see it, Amrita Earned will always be a temporary slot, to be used only for grinding gear or to be switched out when you've "maxed out."

Flipside

I finished the game yesterday. Nioh is actually the first Souls-like (I know, I know it's not the same) hard game I have finished. Would you say Dark Souls III is harder or easier? I started but I never ventured much past the second boss. Beating Nioh might give me the confidence to pick it up again.

The enemy variety might be lacking but I did really enjoy the game overall. I still have a lot of room to improve combat wise so I'll definitely continue with NG+. The game did become a lot easier about halfway through though. I was able to defeat most bosses in a few tries (
I defeated Shima Sakon first try
) while I'm not that great at these games and I wasn't overleveled I think (level 100 when I finished the game).

What would you recommend doing now (still kusarigama/ninjitsu build)? Just run through the game again? Farm something?

At some point the raw damage of a weapon will out-weight any damage from buffs on another weapon. Can't you try something with reforge?

No, because it doesn't have any other slots than the two inherent bonuses.

I didn't even know that's possible with a purple @_@

I finished the game yesterday. Nioh is actually the first Souls-like (I know, I know it's not the same) hard game I have finished. Would you say Dark Souls III is harder or easier? I started but I never ventured much past the second boss. Beating Nioh might give me the confidence to pick it up again.

There's a lot of the same 'tactics' used. If you experienced it with one game, your skills will transfer over to the other.

However in DS your player character is alot 'weaker' than William.

What would you recommend doing now (still kusarigama/ninjitsu build)? Just run through the game again? Farm something?

Farm up some stuff in preparation for the dlc? lol

Baalzebup

No, because it doesn't have any other slots than the two inherent bonuses.

I didn't even know that's possible with a purple @_@
Purple? Not a divine? Cuz that has generally been observed to happen when get the items that Y
amata-no-Orochi
drops on the first kill from revenants and they should always be divine.

If Team Ninja puts the Dibliharo and Vigorean Flails in this game as DLC, I will cry tears of joy.

The flails could just be a repurposed Kusarigama, but I hope we have greatsword moves.

You know the Obsidian Samurai's Katana? It looks big enough to be a greatsword lol

Purple? Not a divine? Cuz that has generally been observed to happen when get the items that Y
amata-no-Orochi
drops on the first kill from revenants and they should always be divine.

No the one I got was from Revenants and I can 100% confirm it's a purple lol.

Funny enough I also got a Kogarasumaru dual sword, Lv 146 purple, with only the two slots for its inherent bonuses :v

Both from revenants.... maybe because I haven't completed the main story?

The flails could just be a repurposed Kusarigama, but I hope we have greatsword moves.

You know the Obsidian Samurai's Katana? It looks big enough to be a greatsword lol

No the one I got was from Revenants and I can 100% confirm it's a purple lol.

Funny enough I also got a Kogarasumaru dual sword, Lv 146 purple, with only the two slots for its inherent bonuses :v

Both from revenants.... maybe because I haven't completed the main story?

Yeah, that's why is purple, if you haven't beat at least the way of the samurai difficulty, then you can't get divine items.

Finally killed the ice lady double boss.
Level 155. A little bit of sloth, regeneration, fire and some magic brushes to refill the magic. Was way easier than before.

So, only thing left to the platinum trophy, is finishing every mission.
Just missing 1 or 2 Twilight Missions.
How can i trigger the ones i need?
Heard they change every few hours?
Can i go offline and change the Playstation clock, to trigger the Twilight Missions?

So, let me make sure this is how to craft 160 weapons.

Beat the level 320 mission (just did), and then just forge a weapon a bunch of times?

Is a divine fragment needed?

Is it true that weapons that use a demon horn (or whatever rare material) will increase the chance to get a 160?

I soul match the 160 with my 150 +6, and I get a 160 +6? Does the reverse work? I have a few nice 150 +6 weapons, so can I make those 160 +6?

Finally killed the ice lady double boss.
Level 155. A little bit of sloth, regeneration, fire and some magic brushes to refill the magic. Was way easier than before.

So, only thing left to the platinum trophy, is finishing every mission.
Just missing 1 or 2 Twilight Missions.
How can i trigger the ones i need?
Heard they change every few hours?
Can i go offline and change the Playstation clock, to trigger the Twilight Missions?

There don't seem to be anyway to change twilight missions other than to check in daily.

1. Beat the level 320 mission (just did), and then just forge a weapon a bunch of times?

2. Is a divine fragment needed?

3. Is it true that weapons that use a demon horn (or whatever rare material) will increase the chance to get a 160?

4. I soul match the 160 with my 150 +6, and I get a 160 +6? I have a few nice 150 +6 weapons, so can I make those 160 +6?

5. Does the reverse work?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. No one knows with any degree of real certainty.

4. Yes and yes.

5. Why would you want to do that? But regardless, no, you can't lower a weapon's level.

Ah okay but... is that also the reason for why the only bonus on those weapons are the inherent bonuses?

No, you only get that because it's a mission reward weapon. Everyone that beats the game gets the same set of divine weapons.

I was just helping a guy to kill the very first boss in the game on the way of samurai. Guess what he dropped for me? A freaking level 9 divine Yasakani Magatana with +14,8% yokai damage and +9% damage from behind and + amrita earn lol why can't I get the same exact thing but on +5 version? lol

No, you only get that because it's a mission reward weapon. Everyone that beats the game gets the same set of divine weapons.

I see thanks.

Would you recommend using a raw damage weapon 100 dmg higher than the nearest competition, but with no bonuses except for +Spirit scaling A? ^^;

In Salt & Sanctuary, there is a mode that the developers put in that replace all the enemies in the game with Spindlebeasts.

For people not familiar with the game this is a monster with an unblockable instant kill charging attack.

Imagine replacing all the enemies in Nioh with instant kill wheel monks.

I see thanks.

Would you recommend using a raw damage weapon 100 dmg higher than the nearest competition, but with no bonuses except for +Spirit scaling A? ^^;

100 is not much and it's not worth it when you can get +20% damage on a weapon and other good things like ki attack reduction or ki damage or even elemental attack if it fits your build and you can scale it with whatever you want and not to be bound to spirit scaling.

I think the reason for no stats on those weapons is for people not to get them from revenants sooner than they should, which is for beating the game.

Just got the platinum trophy after 130 hours.
I was lucky and got the last twilight mission, when they switched out.
Now i can go to bed at peace.
When i wake up, Nier Automata will be there.
What a time to be alive.

RexNovis

Banned

Beat the level 320 mission (just did), and then just forge a weapon a bunch of times?

Is a divine fragment needed?

Is it true that weapons that use a demon horn (or whatever rare material) will increase the chance to get a 160?

I soul match the 160 with my 150 +6, and I get a 160 +6? Does the reverse work? I have a few nice 150 +6 weapons, so can I make those 160 +6?

For some reason the lvl 320 mission isn't unlocking for me. I've completed all the main missions and most do the side missions. Do I really have to beat alll the side missions to unlock it because uggh that would be a pain

I was just helping a guy to kill the very first boss in the game on the way of samurai. Guess what he dropped for me? A freaking level 9 divine Yasakani Magatana with +14,8% yokai damage and +9% damage from behind and + amrita earn lol why can't I get the same exact thing but on +5 version? lol

damage from behind on accessories just reduces the damage you take from behind it doesn't boost the damage you deal just as an FYI

Baalzebup

For some reason the lvl 320 mission isn't unlocking for me. I've completed all the main missions and most do the side missions. Do I really have to beat alll the side missions to unlock it because uggh that would be a pain
The last notch of the progress bar, just short of filling it out completely, is for that mission. You don't need to do *everything* but you do need to do quite a bit.
Ah okay but... is that also the reason for why the only bonus on those weapons are the inherent bonuses?
Yeah, they are divines that are downgraded to purple because you haven't unlocked divines yet and the reason why they have only the inherent specials is that that is just what happens with the set of divines that are dropped by the boss who unlocks them when you kill it for the first time. Everyone gets the same full set of weapons to get them in on the divine weapons game at a running start, but for some reason, those same weapons are reduced to the inherents only -state if you get them as drops from the revenants. Other copies of the same weapons can be completely ok, but that means they aren't from that initial boss kill. It is just a thing that happens :p

Yeah, they are divines that are downgraded to purple because you haven't unlocked divines yet and the reason why they have only the inherent specials is that that is just what happens with the set of divines that are dropped by the boss who unlocks them when you kill it for the first time. Everyone gets the same full set of weapons to get them in on the divine weapons game at a running start, but for some reason, those same weapons are reduced to the inherents only -state if you get them as drops from the revenants. Other copies of the same weapons can be completely ok, but that means they aren't from that initial boss kill. It is just a thing that happens :p

I see i see thanks!

IvorB

I'm only about level 90 but yesterday I got a level 130 katana with close combat damage +10% and some elemental buff. Added Change to Attack Skill on there and tweaked the other stuff a bit. Looking forward to dishing out some pain with that this weekend. I'm at the last region now so it should come in handy.

The last notch of the progress bar, just short of filling it out completely, is for that mission. You don't need to do *everything* but you do need to do quite a bit.

Yeah, I had about 4 (maybe 5) sub mission to do after it unlocked.

Well, I was worried about double Tengu, but they were easier in NG+, despite the nice surprise in that fight. O&Y and Two Kings felt about the same difficulty. I'd say that the start of NG+ had me worried that enemies gained too much health, but actually spending a few to make a quality weapon took care of that. Other than the start, ninja yoki hit hard as hell in NG+, and there are more snipers with hand cannons around to make things slightly annoying.
I just have 2 sub mission to do, then I'll probably stop playing for a while, since that's pretty much all there is. Taking my second character through NG and NG+ was a blast overall, I think helped by the fact I didn't bother with any cheese like life steal or sloth. Seriously an amazing game. The problems are on the low side compared to how good the game plays.

damage from behind on accessories just reduces the damage you take from behind it doesn't boost the damage you deal just as an FYI

It dose boost the damage, it shows in my sheet damage, from behind 35%, it adds to the same pool of damage as everything else that got damage from behind. When it reduces the damage it says damage recieve %. I did test it so I know it works, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

knitoe

It dose boost the damage, it shows in my sheet damage, from behind 35%, it adds to the same pool of damage as everything else that got damage from behind. When it reduces the damage it says damage recieve %. I did test it so I know it works, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Are you sure? Didn't for me. I just test it out. Have Damage From Behind 12% on the Special Effects status screen. Added a accessory with Damage From Behind 9.5%. Afterward, still shows 12% on the screen.

Top Bottom