• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New stretch goal revealed!

iRAOqC7.png

Yup. Chance of actually making that much is a different story....
Anyway. Full update:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/609765

Update #26 Stretch Goal Reveal & 3D Team Interview!

3D Team Interview:

Say hello to WayForward’s 3D department! This in-depth interview will shine some light on this incredible process of taking a 2D image and crafting it into a fully developed 3D world. In this video you’ll hear first-hand from:

Damon Dubois: 3D Art Director. A 20 year industry veteran, Damon has worked on wide range of games across all major consoles. Damon has taken a lead role at Paradox Development (X-Men Mutant Academy 2, X-Men: Next Dimension), Midway Games (Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, TNA iMPACT!, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe), and WayForward (Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Silent Hill: Book of memories, and DuckTales: Remastered) Damon is a true master of the third dimension!

Ranko Prozo: Lead Environment Artist. Ranko has over 5 years of game industry experience having worked at Meteor games (Twin Skies and other various projects) and WayForward (Batman Brave and the Bold,Happy Feet 2,Centipede,Silent Hill Book of Memories, DuckTales: Remastered).

Tim Curry: Lead Technical Artist. Tim worked as a 3D artist at Arkadia Studios in Singapore on Entropia Universe MMO before coming to WayForward where he played a major role on DuckTales: Remastered. Tim is currently working on our newest round of WayForward tech, and enjoys teaching classes on game development from time to time.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Enviroment Art Interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBX93AgRyo8

Stretch Goal Reveal: Voices!

We’re also revealing the next Stretch Goal today: Voices! We will be auditioning top industry talent to provide voice over for the entire cast of characters. Recordings will be in English, with translated subtitles for each additional language. WayForward has worked with some of the top voice talent in the world – from the cast of DuckTales all the way back to Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo in the mid-90’s. From Spongebob to Daffy Duck, we know how to write for, audition, coach, and record professional voice over. Let’s make this happen and really bring Shantae and friends to life!

ezekial45

Banned
I'm still holding out hope for the 900k goal, but I don't see it happening. :(

Still glad it got funded, though. It looks like it'll be a fun game with what they've got so far.

TDLink

They're extending the funding period through PayPal.

That isn't going to significantly help. PayPal funding after these Kickstarters are over is typically under 100k. I still doubt even with that considered it is getting anywhere close to a million, much less more.

I don't want to be negative but the bottom line is I think at this point in terms of stretch goals...

• $500k is a done deal, definitely going to happen.
  • $600k is likely with the final push.
  • $700k has a somewhat remote chance of happening.
  • $800k they would have to be incredibly lucky.
Anything above that isn't going to happen.

So revealing more at this point is kind of unproductive.

Cheerilee

I don't even know why they are bothering to still reveal stretch goals. There is no way they more than double the total funds already accumulated in only a week, even with the final day or two push. I am betting this ends up at 700k max, and that may be generous. Would love to be wrong though.

I think it's because the reveals were a part of their game plan from the very beginning (which is why paleface-Shantae who donated too much blood at the office keeps popping back up), and there's no sense in changing the plan at this point. I mean, they could just bury the stretch goals and never confirm what they were, or they could show them to us all at once right now, but it's not like either option would make much of a difference at this point. If there's no better plan, then it's best to stick with what they've got.

Also, the stretch goals remain on Wayforward's "wish list" for this game, which is good to know, because while they could never have made this game without $400,000 from backers, they also said that you can't make a game like this for only $400,000. Wayforward has already sunk a bunch of their own money into this project (money that they would have essentially flushed down the toilet if the game didn't fund), and said that they might be able to scrape up some more money from other sources (which would have been impossible if Kickstarter hadn't made this game a reality). And there's potential for future expansions via DLC.

Anything reached with the stretch goals becomes a guaranteed part of the full game.

Five

Banned
For what it's worth, the iOS app of Risky's Revenge has been updated. To people who were having a problem with the screen size and touch targets, it's all fixed now.

TheOGB

Banned
twothunder where you at? New update detailing Risky Mode: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/611003

Update #27 Stretch Goal: Risky Boots Mode

We’re at the halfway point between our initial funding goal, and the Risky Boots Stretch Goal! Today we’re taking a closer look at exactly what it will be like to play the part of the bodacious buccaneer.
bGBc4yr.png

Opening Cinematic: At the start of our tale, Shantae wakes in the night and is drawn trance-like through the dark forest and into a secret cavern. She is transported to the Genie Realm, but returns a few moments later having witnessed a power beyond anything imaginable. Shantae leaves to embark on a grand adventure – but fails to notice the Tinkerbat spying from within the shadows… the tiny pirate minion skitters off to report this to its master.

Kickoff: Risky Mode begins with the above cinematic. From there, we descend on Risky’s pirate ship, and cut to her captain’s quarters; a large office dominated by a luxurious bathtub in which the Queen of the Seven Seas simmers and stews. The Tinkerbat minion reports, and within moments Risky Boots hatches a plan.

Goal: As Risky, your job is to raid, pillage, and plunder Sequin Land in search of items that will allow entry into the Genie Realm. After all, the ultimate power is there for the taking, and only one scrawny Half-Genie brat stands in the way. Like any door, this magical portal to the Genie Realm must have a key. To Risky’s logic, there’s no better starting point than the old man. Players will soon find that Uncle Mimic (Relic Hunter, living fossil, inventor, and Shantae’s only family member) is at large, and in his hasty exit he’s dropped a literal paper trail of blueprints. With the right parts, Risky’s Tinkerbats could construct some of these devices. With each blueprint she finds, Risky gains a new Tinker-Tool that will help her take down the old man and the brat, and finally gain entry to the fabled Genie Ream! Heave ho men!
lLD4Ve2.png

Gameplay: Risky Mode uses the same overall location of the main Shantae storyline, with key story elements swapped, and the order of progression shuffled. As Risky gains Tinker-Tools, (Pistol upgrades, Grappling Hook, Shoulder Cannon) she will gain abilities that in some ways mirror Shantae’s “Dance Transformations”. But these moves are found in a different order, in unique locations meaning that even if you know Shantae’s Story, Risky Mode will be a completely new experience. Risky’s pirate-themed abilities could be aptly compared to the special moves seen in “Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse” for Nintendo 3DS. More examples:

-Shantae can whip, but Risky can slice with her scimitar!

-Shantae can become a flying creature, but Risky can use a grappling hook!

-Shantae can cast a fireball, but Risky has a pistol that fire various types of ammo!

-Shantae can become a small creature and enter a narrow space, but Risky can send a Tinkerbat in to do her bidding!
RHPlEE2.png

Let’s make this Stretch Goal happen so we can double the fun! Remember too, that every additional Stretch Goal will expand the game’s features overall, giving both Shantae & Risky Boots more to do!

formatting's a weird mix of me trying to match the original and doing the GAF quote emphasis thing :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Update 28: Vote for your favorite Dance Transformation!

WQsjNZT.png

cj3OzHv.png

If you’ve pledged at the Contributor Reward Tier (and above), you’ll be voting for your favorites, and the winners will be put into the game. The number of total transformations is not set at this time, since our number of Chapters isn’t locked down yet (the more Chapter-based Stretch Goals we meet, the more transformations there will be).

ZKVD2xu.png

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/611961

Update #28 Vote for your favorite Dance Transformation!

WQsjNZT.png

In each Chapter of the game, Shantae will defeat a boss and gain a Dance Transformation. When she dances, she can change into a new creature form with new abilities! Past games have seen Shantae changing into a wall-climbing Monkey, a boulder bashing Elephant, a web-climbing Spider, a deep-diving Mermaid, and even a Tinkerbat or Harpy. We have a few transformations planned that are vital to Shantae’s mobility. But the others will be decided by YOU, the VOTERS!

cj3OzHv.png

If you’ve pledged at the Contributor Reward Tier (and above), you’ll be voting for your favorites, and the winners will be put into the game. The number of total transformations is not set at this time, since our number of Chapters isn’t locked down yet (the more Chapter-based Stretch Goals we meet, the more transformations there will be).

ZKVD2xu.png

The new Custom Dance design allows us to be more flexible with the number of dances and transformations than before, so a “minor transformation” could simply be used to rocket into the sky, torch a thorn patch, or emit a screeching sound. Not all transformations need to have full mobility either (like say, a Tree-like Dryad that drops life-restoring fruit). We have tons of ideas and we bet you do too! Let’s earn that CONTRIBUTOR CREDIT and make this game burst with fresh ideas! Voting will occur during the game’s development, but ANYONE can throw ideas at us on the “Comments” message board.

Update #29 Stretch Goal revealed – Clockwork Night!

This is the last “Bonus Chapter” stretch goal! Bonus Chapters sandwich right into the middle of the adventure, extending the amount of game between the mysterious INTRO and the action packed CONCLUSION. The more bonus chapters we can fund, the more levels, transformations, and bosses there will be!

AdsrkBw.png

This chapter occurs late in the game, and takes Shantae and friends into a “tech-level”. In classic gaming fashion, we have now moved from tropical and spooky themed areas, into and out of dungeons, and finally to world of technology that is completely unknown to these characters. A true “fish out of water” stage, Shantae and friends are completely unprepared for the fusion of magic and circuitry that Risky’s vile Tinkerbats have constructed. At the mercy of a mechanized world, Shantae gets some inspiration of her own -- and one final Dance Transformation is born…

We don’t want to spoil the ending, but you can imagine this will be an epic final chapter for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. We’ve got six days left… let’s make this happen!

Get Shantae: Risky's Revenge for FREE

If you've got an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPad Mini), you can get Risky's Revenge -- the FULL GAME for FREE for a very limited time. We have just updated both versions (unlock and "full") to be compatible with iOS 7. Get it now and you'll find a brand new playable character: DANCER SHANTAE! Spread the word!

9qy65DH.png

Teppic

It's great that they offer it for free. But why is the game locked at the wrong horizontal angle? I'm muting the game's sound with my left hand when I play it.

Edit: I had locked the screen. Stupid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Me too. I'm really disappointed that we were only able to get to the first stretch goal. Maybe if they make enough money off of the game selling it regularly, they'll add in the rest of the stuff as dlc?

I'm upset that we won't see any bonus chapters :/

Me too. I'm really disappointed that we were only able to get to the first stretch goal. Maybe if they make enough money off of the game selling it regularly, they'll add in the rest of the stuff as dlc?

I assume both of you are backers too? I would of loved to see them hit the 900K goal ,but I know that's unlikely. They will get the first stretch goal. Perhaps the second if they are very lucky in the end. Aside from that. They opened a paypal that will continue several months after the Kickstarter campaign ends that will count toward the stretch goals.

Let me copy and paste Wayforward's update:
"We are currently planning on keeping the PayPal store open for several months after the Kickstarter campaign ends and all PayPal pledges will count toward the stretch goals! We'll update the main Kickstarter page with our PayPal total regularly so that everyone can see our continued progress."

Sorian

Banned
I assume both of you are backers too? I would of loved to see them hit the 900K goal ,but I know that's unlikely. They will get the first stretch goal. Perhaps the second if they are very lucky in the end. Aside from that. They opened a paypal that will continue several months after the Kickstarter campaign ends that will count toward the stretch goals.

"We are currently planning on keeping the PayPal store open for several months after the Kickstarter campaign ends and all PayPal pledges will count toward the stretch goals! We'll update the main Kickstarter page with our PayPal total regularly so that everyone can see our continued progress."

Yes I am, and yes, I agree that the first stretch goal will be hit (which is technically bonus content but I was referring to the actual bonus chapters). I don't think the second goal will be hit but I would love to be pleasently surprised. It is cool that the paypal will count towards the stretch goals but I feel like once this is off of KS that it'll fall by the wayside for a lot of people.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It's a relief that they're setting up a PayPal store for the stretch goals, but I fear that the donations will stop once the Kickstarter timer ends. I guess we'll just have to all cross our fingers. :/

Conan-san

I suppose the thing with PayPal Donations is that they can get multiples of that from the same person so there's that if some demented Shantae fan wants to donate more than once.

Yes I am, and yes, I agree that the first stretch goal will be hit (which is technically bonus content but I was referring to the actual bonus chapters). I don't think the second goal will be hit but I would love to be pleasently surprised. It is cool that the paypal will count towards the stretch goals but I feel like once this is off of KS that it'll fall by the wayside for a lot of people.

That's nice to hear.
Anyway. Yes. The second stretch goal will not be easy to hit. As for the paypal.
It will not get the numbers of their kickstarter and not as many people will know about it or donate. I agree with that.
Yet. It honestly depends a lot on Wayforward and if they can keep up interest in the game.
They need to keep posting updates after the kickstarter is over and keep spreading the word of their paypal. . That's much harder after their kickstarter ends.

Lusankya

Get Shantae: Risky's Revenge for FREE

If you've got an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPad Mini), you can get Risky's Revenge -- the FULL GAME for FREE for a very limited time. We have just updated both versions (unlock and "full") to be compatible with iOS 7. Get it now and you'll find a brand new playable character: DANCER SHANTAE! Spread the word!

There are two versions on the store and strangely enough the one with (Full) after the name only has a silver colored border while the other one has a golden border.

mao2

Its a shame they can't update DSiWare games or anything as I would love to get Dancer Shantae in the best version
Well, Matt said that game controller support is coming to iOS 7 so they'll likely jump on board.

I wish they'd port Risky's Revenge to Vita and Android too...

mao2

Precisely the reason why I just lowered my pledge; WF pushing for these goals without any chance of reaching them is really frustrating.
I'm sure those stretch goals were planned from the beginning, so there's no point hiding them. They might even encourage more people to pledge. But yeah, it's frustrating to know that we won't be getting most of them. Perhaps one day they'll reappear as DLCs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom