• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheyes

I like most of the tennis players on the tour but those two young aussies can fuck off. What a disgrace.

Sorry m8s.

I don't think too many Aussies disagree really.

To be fair though, Tomic seems to be a little bit less of a dick now though, or maybe that is just because Kygrios is on just a whole other level of floggery that he makes other wankers seem tame?

I don't think too many Aussies disagree really.

To be fair though, Tomic seems to be a little bit less of a dick now though, or maybe that is just because Kygrios is on just a whole other level of floggery that he makes other wankers seem tame?

i honestly don't know as i have stopped paying any attention to them.

Tomic is also dangerously close to moving on from "he's still so young" to "why hasn't he won anything yet?".

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Evans/Cilic is one of those games where someone who ought to be swept away is playing the game of their life. Even if Evans doesn't eventually win, he's got a lot to be proud of here.
He's turned his game around these last couple of years.

Nearly into the top 50 (Sure to get there now) and isn't afraid to play the big guns like he was in the past. Obviously Evans will never be a Murray but I see a semi final or two in him. Great to see him get to the 3rd round.

Hopefully Murray hasn't screwed his ankle too badly in his match. Hoping to see him win the Aussie Open to really cement his #1 ranking.

fisheyes

Tomic is also dangerously close to moving on from "he's still so young" to "why hasn't he won anything yet?".

Unfortunately there's no way to avoid hearing about the two of them here.

I don't think Tomic will ever win anything substantial anyway.

I don't think Tomic is going to win anything. Kyrgios on the other hand has a higher ceiling and is much more likely to win slams even if he doesn't get his act together.

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member
Oh god Roger and Berdych in the 3rd round. Roger has historically had trouble with him, and it's so early on in the tournament that he isn't going to be playing his best tennis. If he wants to make a deep run he'll have to play his Quarters/Semis/Finals level of tennis and try to win it without going 5.

I can't see anyway Federer gets past Berdych Nishikori and Murray but if he does get past the first two I could see him somehow winning because Murray is awful against Federer recently (though tbf they haven't really played very much)

I don't think Tomic is going to win anything. Kyrgios on the other hand has a higher ceiling and is much more likely to win slams even if he doesn't get his act together.

Tinman Tomic won't win any major tournaments, thats a given

Krazy Kyrios has the tools to win but he needs to grow up fast. The way he capitulated against Seppi tells me he is far too mentally weak to sustain a deep run in the majors.

nitronite

Because Istomin is playing well and the crowd wants to be a part of an historic upset.

I get that. It's just I doubt something like that would ever happen with say Roger Federer at Wimbledon, his most comparable slam to Djokovic's Australian Open. Maybe against Dan Evans, but that was a very unique situation.

edit: Good hold from Djokovic. Will Istomin fold now after having had set points?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Guessing it'll be a quick couple sets if Istomin doesn't break back here, which I don't expect.

I get that. It's just I doubt something like that would ever happen with say Roger Federer at Wimbledon, his most comparable slam to Djokovic's Australian Open. Maybe against Dan Evans, but that was a very unique situation.

edit: Good hold from Djokovic. Will Istomin fold now after having had set points?

Federer is just extremely popular. No other player compares to him in terms of being a crowd favourite. Even then fans love a good upset and want to cheer for the underdog.

Federer is just extremely popular. No other player compares to him in terms of being a crowd favourite. Even then fans love a good upset and want to cheer for the underdog.

Yes, even with Federer being probably the most loved player ever, there was plenty of support for Sergiy Stakhovsky when he upset him in R2 in 2013.

Great win by Istomin. Questions about Djokovic' personal life may pop back up now that he's struggling again. Istomin really played well though and deserved to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom