• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pompeo confirmed as CIA director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that Democrats' compromise only makes the Republicans stronger. The Democrats making concessions never results in the Republicans conceding in other ways.

Yep.
Reaching across the aisle is how we got people like Comey.

Worked out great for the Republicans at least.

The problem is that Democrats' compromise only makes the Republicans stronger. The Democrats making concessions never results in the Republicans conceding in other ways.

True, there is no reason to negotiate with Republicans. Suddenly they are they party of working together and asking why Democrats don't want to work with them after 8 years of obstructing Obama at every turn.

Me too, just emailed Feinstein to ask that.

The Feinstein vote is the least surprising. She is very much in support of expanded spying powers. The other votes like Franken and Schumer are much more disappointing, although I remember Franken voted yes on re-authorization of the Patriot Act. We've got quite a few Democrat Senators who don't care much about civil liberties.

Polari

Carson and DeVos are the two that need to be denied the positions. They are unsuitable.

This. Tillerson might not have diplomatic experience, but he has plenty of experience in international business. Carson has experience in neurosurgery, and DeVos has experience in donating away a chunk of her husband's inheritance.

collige

Banned
I want a complete list of every D who voted in this fucker. Feinstein continuing to be a piece of shit doesn't surprise me though.

conman

America is fucked. I personally blame every Trump voter for this shit. I will never forgive them.
Unfortunately, Schadenfreude is hollow when it comes to politics. People suffer, and no one ever accepts the blame for it, and no one ever admits they were wrong.

The only thing to do in times like this is to protect everyone you can in whatever (ethical) way you can.

benjipwns

Banned
I want a complete list of every D who voted in this fucker. Feinstein continuing to be a piece of shit doesn't surprise me though.
Donnelly (IN)
Feinstein (CA)
Hassan (NH)
Heitkamp (ND)
Kaine (VA)
King (I-MA)
Klobuchar (MN)
Manchin (WV)
McCaskill (MO)
Reed (RI)
Schatz (HI)
Schumer (NY)
Shaheen (NH)
Warner (VA)
Whitehouse (RI)

Only one Republican voted against:
Rand Paul (KY)

edit: free image form from twitter:
C25g-NMUUAEzWlF.jpg

fleck0

The Feinstein vote is the least surprising. She is very much in support of expanded spying powers. The other votes like Franken and Schumer are much more disappointing, although I remember Franken voted yes on re-authorization of the Patriot Act. We've got quite a few Democrat Senators who don't care much about civil liberties.

True about Feinstein but I still requested she represent California as a state that strongly voted against trump and the hate he spews. Least I could do is let her know I'm not thrilled about it.

You can actually find all Senate voting records on the Senate website. Here's the one for the Pompeo vote.

True about Feinstein but I still requested she represent California as a state that strongly voted against trump and the hate he spews. Least I could do is let her know I'm not thrilled about it.

She's been a problem for years, but the Democratic machinery in California has just made her the incumbent that no one's been able to even have a chance against.

Ekai

This. Democrats have had a history of compromising to the detriment of their base. They need to stand up to the tyranny of these fascists.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I dont know much about Pompeo, but from what I saw in his hearing, he at least said the right things. Obviously you have no idea what he could do once in office.

Perhaps dems ahould have stalled until republicans nominated a democrat. Force them to make concessions.

But thats not how things work.

RPGCrazied

I want to see the voting list on the EPA guy and the DeVos character. Those democrats will be dead to me if they vote yes.

Donnelly (IN)
Feinstein (CA)
Hassan (NH)
Heitkamp (ND)
Kaine (VA)
King (I-MA)
Klobuchar (MN)
Manchin (WV)
McCaskill (MO)
Reed (RI)
Schatz (HI)
Schumer (NY)
Shaheen (NH)
Warner (VA)
Whitehouse (RI)

Only one Republican voted against:
Rand Paul (KY)

edit: free image form from twitter:

First off, King is from Maine not Massachusetts.

Second, the fact that most of the people who voted yes have reason no to worry about reelection yet tells me that this wasn't necessarily a "spinelessness" issue.

For whatever reason, democrats are confident that Pompeo being confirmed will play in their favor. There are a few reasons that might explain this:

1) Democrats expect the clash between Trump and the CIA to continue. If they do, then it would give Trump an excuse if he doesn't have a confirmed CIA Director. Now that the CIA Director is confirmed, Trump Admin will get ALL of the blame if he continues to piss off the CIA.

2) Democrats think that if Pompeo does some of his more despicable suggestions, then it will make Trump look bad.

3) Democrats have reason to believe that Pompeo will not stop the CIA from exposing Trump.

shem935

Banned
First off, King is from Maine not Massachusetts.

Second, the fact that most of the people who voted yes have reason to worry about reelection yet tells me that this wasn't necessarily a "spinelessness" issue.

For whatever reason, democrats are confident that Pompeo being confirmed will play in their favor. There are a few reasons that might explain this:

1) Democrats expect the clash between Trump and the CIA to continue. If they do, then it would give Trump an excuse if he doesn't have a confirmed CIA Director. Now that the CIA Director is confirmed, Trump Admin will get ALL of the blame if he continues to piss off the CIA.

2) Democrats think that if Pompeo does some of his more despicable suggestions, then it will make Trump look bad.

3) Democrats have reason to believe that Pompeo will not stop the CIA from exposing Trump.

4) He was the best of bad options which he absolutely was. Also I would guess most of those democrats probably believe outside of rankly unqualified nominees (Devos, Tillerson, Sessions) the president can pick his cabinet. Pompeo is also no friend of russia, he graduated from west point during the cold war. That could be seen as a potential positive.

jfkgoblue

People not realizing what Trump did, he put all these nominees out late so they don't have to go through everything and they can blame the Dems for stonewalling. The Dems don't want to get get blame so Trump's nominees are pushed through faster than ever skipping the ethics committee.

This fucker Trump....
....what? He put out almost all the important positions before congress was even in session. There isn't much more to ask a Pres-Elect to do in regards to nominations.

Here is a 538 article from November talking about it.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-naming-his-cabinet-ahead-of-schedule/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom