• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, & Hitman all broke even, sequels implied

Daingurse

WEI SHEN MOTHERFUCKER

WHO YOU?!

Absolutely loved Sleeping Dogs, I kept forgetting I was a cop though hahaha. My Wei Shen was a full on goon. Sun On Yee till I die!

ibhy8K6DZLQsNt.jpg

Most fun I've had with an open world game since fucking GTA III.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good to hear after all the SE doom and gloom lately. Haven't played Hitman but I'm totally down for sequels for Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider, both were very fun with great PC versions. Loved 100%-ing Sleeping Dogs in particular, damn fine game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is awesome news and shows that there is still some hope for the future of gaming!
I think one nice thing here is that it serves as a useful example that not everything that misses expectations actually lost money, but that expectations were just high because they wanted to make a lot of profit after investing that much.

RagnarokX

And yet it was a better game than Anniversary and Underworld...

I disagree. The shooting was improved, yes, but they didn't do anything with it; it was still very monotonous wave combat with little variation. The platforming, puzzles, and exploration (secrets) were all incredibly dumbed down.

Crystal Dynamics hasn't been good at updating Tomb Raider in the past, but casting aside everything Tomb Raider was known for to make it yet another shooter isn't the answer. A next gen Tomb Raider should be about exploring, raiding tombs, platforming, solving puzzles; the last game was a shooter with very very shallow elements of the things that made Tomb Raider unique. Shooters can be fun, yes, but Tomb Raider should be something more.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So we can no call what they said before about tomb raider not making money complete BS. If it did not make money why a sequel so quick. I love when these publishers cry wolf like this.

Persona86

Banned
It's not like Hong Kong really ever have shoot ups. Even in more recent triad movies like Election I & II, you never ever really see a gun.

Although I would like them to try Hong Kong again with next gen power and make feel more like the real place in terms of how busy and bustling it is, Shanghai would feel like the next logical step.

There isn't anything particularly iconic about Seoul. Even in Korean movies, it really feels like a fairly generic modern city. If they continue with the triad storyline, Thailand would also make sense and keep the fish out of water angle for Wei.

I've watched A LOT of Korean movies and TV shows (TV shows in general show a very different side to South Korea than movies IMO) So I can imagine a lot of situations that could be interesting.

I disagree with Seoul being a generic city, from what I've seen, it has an interesting culture and has a lot of potential IMO. But in the end the most important aspect of a city is how the developers design the city, story and the characters, so generic or not, it's really about perspective.

Setting it in Korea would allow the VA for Wei Shen to actually speak the local language instead of conjuring up the bizarre scenario where the triad would allow a banana (Chinese who doesn't speak Chinese) into their gang.
Cool, I didn't know he had Korean parents, quick Google search shows a Korean name, so seems like your right.

Tnetennba

Oh yes! Really want to see another Sleepy Dogs. Just give me another city, Wei Shen and let me run free. Fuck, that game is so disgustingly fun.

Tomb Raider was inevitably getting a sequel. If they refined it and focused more on the tomb gameplay from the first (ie. lean heavily into puzzles and away from the combat) then it could be a big improvement. It wasn't great but it was totally a fine foundation to build on.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think one nice thing here is that it serves as a useful example that not everything that misses expectations actually lost money, but that expectations were just high because they wanted to make a lot of profit after investing that much.

Yeah, and it should probably serve us well as a reminder in the future when discussion bombas and whatnot.

Xyber

I mainly want a new Sleepy Dawgs just so that I can see Vinny be a fucking lunatic again.

Pick up the purse

Thorgal

Yes! Because as an investor "breaking even" is EXACTLY what I want to hear!

I think a investor . while not exactly jumping for joy would rather hear that their money is made back instead of : Hey guys .we just threw xxx million bucks down the crapper.

Vyse

Gold Member
Just finished Sleeping Dogs as well. Loved it. Taking a break before playing the dlc. Wei rocks. Looking forward to SD2.

Thorgal

I actually just finished Sleeping Dogs (100%! Yay!) and wrote my thoughts down about it in a PM but here's as good as anywhere to post them and maybe get a discussion going:

i agree with all your points.

About the fact that wei can do free crime ,maim and kill people during gameplay while still being a cop might be unrealistic but i think it is better to see it as an acceptable break from reality as it ad to the fun of the game.

Yes if they wanted to they could try the realistic aproach : wei never kills people, doesn't do half the crazy stuff he pulls off in this game and plays by the rules .

but in that case you run the risk of making your game boring like L.A Noire (ymmv) but it allways felt weird because the makers went to all that trouble to make a very realistic copy of Los Angeles (not sure if that was the name of the city)

yet there was almost no incentive to explore the city as there was almost nothing you really could do in it because you where an honest cop so no gunning down or driving over civilians.

A quote from zero punctuation sums it up pretty well: put a player in a big world crafted with lots of detail options and given total freedom to do as they please ,the first thing most players do is think of how to fuck this place up.

Sleeping Dogs = fuck yes.

Tomb Raider = if they can take the mechanics, production values and more mature 'Batman Begins' Lara that they have, and mix it with even more Metroidvania, and more importantly for TR more tombs and better platforming, I think I could get excited for a sequel.

Hitman = lock that shit away and throw away the key after Absolution. Unless they can seriously go back to the series roots and make a game that is even half as good as Blood Money, I don't want to be part of it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played Tomb Raider
Enjoyed Sleeping Dogs even though I thought it had problems. Hopefully they can build and improve it with the sequel
Hitman Absolution was good enough but I can understand why fans didn't like it. The disguise system sucked and didn't really work and the stealth needed work all round.

WoolyNinja

Just finished Tomb Raider and personally thought it was one of the best games of the generation. I think it actually outdoes Uncharted 2/3 in a lot of respects. Not saying its the better game, but things like upgrading weapons, upgrading skills, the combat, and the platforming were all done better in Tomb Raider in my opinion. Can't wait for the sequel if this is true!

Dead

well not really...yet
Just finished Tomb Raider and personally thought it was one of the best games of the generation. I think it actually outdoes Uncharted 2/3 in a lot of respects. Not saying its the better game, but things like upgrading weapons, upgrading skills, the combat, and the platforming were all done better in Tomb Raider in my opinion. Can't wait for the sequel if this is true!
Its better in all areas compared to UC3, and gameplay wise it is better than UC2

Wasn't Tomb Raider at the top of every damn chart for weeks and weeks? Was SE projecting every console owner would buy it?

I loved TR, thought it was a gorgeous joy ride and I'd love a sequel, now. Multiplayer was blah though.

Dami3N

i would love a Sleeping Dogs 2 on ps4!
another tomb raider.. yeah why not, they just found there feet with this new croft.
more hitman - hell no.. them danes have no idea about what they are doing!

Amir0x

Banned
oh god i hope breaking even doesn't encourage them to continue to move even further into destroying Hitman and Tomb Raider... but who am i kidding, next TR will probably be on rails and you just press X for the occasional execution. Out Ryse the Ryse! Next Hitman will be simplified, two paths to assassinate, pick a path and have at it!

Sleeping Dogs 2 I will anticipate, since it's one of the few good things to come out of SE published games the past few years

Kitty

Banned
oh god i hope breaking even doesn't encourage them to continue to move even further into destroying Hitman and Tomb Raider... but who am i kidding, next TR will probably be on rails and you just press X for the occasional execution. Out Ryse the Ryse! Next Hitman will be simplified, two paths to assassinate, pick a path and have at it!

Sleeping Dogs 2 I will anticipate, since it's one of the few good things to come out of SE published games the past few years

Nick@IO has said that hardcore Hitman fans will be happy with the next installment in the Hitman series, so I doubt they will be dumbening it down.

But we will just have to wait and see.

Amir0x

Banned
Nick@IO has said that hardcore Hitman fans will be happy with the next installment in the Hitman series, so I doubt they will be dumbening it down.

But we will just have to wait and see.

I guess so :(

Oh I guess Deus Ex was pretty good too

Hindle

Banned
Yea, I'm certain Hitman 6 will be at the VGX.

Absolution was terrible and an embarrassment to the series. I'm dreading what Hitman 6 will look like :(

That's interesting, in western Canada it looks like Prince Rupert, Kamloops, FortMac, and Edmonton. Not sure what they have in common... I'd say oil if not for Kam but it has copper mines so maybe just resources in general. Not much in PR before either.. Only ever knew it for salmon fishing vacations. But they're trying to put in pipelines and refineries from FortMac out to PR to ship to China.

Or the locations are just random and I'm only looking into it because I'm from there.
Yeah actually I made a post about that during the summer I think... I mostly skipped this entire generation until just this year, and only things I've really played from SE in the last decade were FF XI and XII. And, in coming back to the PS3 this year and going through S-E's list of published games (mostly from Eidos), it really struck me that the developer I treasured for Japanese fantasy RPGs was now more relevant to me as a publisher of western open-city crime action. Hitman, Deus Ex, Kane & Lynch 2 (distributor), and obviously Sleeping Dogs. I think the sentence that kept popping into my head that really wanted me to comment on it was that in a modern Square Enix game I felt like I was more likely to go shoot up criminals in a Chinese city than adventure after crystals on a Chocobo.

Sleeping Dogs is one of the best games I've played this generation and I really hope it finds more success in the future.

Sheroking

Very much down for a Tomb Raider sequel.

If they just alter the pacing a bit (more Uncharted 2, less Uncharted 3), the original would have been a GOTY candidate for me.

Top Bottom