• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails S4 |OT| The End Is About To Begin - Sundays 9/8c on Starz

Rymuth

- God, I love watching Silver work a man over. He's the Don Draper of Pirates.

- Is the Governor's second-in-command a new character? I don't remember him from the last season

- GOAT line of the series goes to Anne and how this island is fucked. Well said, Anne.

Great ep, when Billy said "fire!" I was like lol wtf. Pretty stupid really, with the backup just arriving. I guess injecting pirate steroids into your arms must effect your IQ somewhat.

I really hate the french chick character, although she had some good scenes in this ep - she usually is just yammering on about "the street" and kiling time.

Great episode. As much as I want to call Billy a dumbass, you have to respect his perspective. They're all following Flint and it's not exactly worked out for them.

What a great episode but yeah Billy was a total idiot, that whole night section was great though. I'm going to miss this so much when it's over :(

What a great episode but yeah Billy was a total idiot, that whole night section was great though. I'm going to miss this so much when it's over :(

Silver is such a fucking boss. "I'm the reason men tremble" ... that whole speech was just pitch perfect, and Luke Arnold is chewing scenery like a badass. Can't wait until he and Toby are on screen together again.

She's so damn beautiful though I just let it slide.

She's also the only one who has slept with Eleanor, Anne, Charles Vane, and Jack Rackham so ... well... she's cool with me.

We haven't seen Mary Read yet either, I think she originally was born in Philly or something so maybe Eleanor will drag her in or something.

The weirdest thing to me is the Eleanor character. Her turn away from Flint/Vane and falling what seems to be madly in love with The Governor is just weird to me, especially as it all happened off screen as far as I can tell. At least Max is sick of all the sides and doesn't see how she can stay alive much longer, whereas Eleanor is in this weird space where she really thinks she is close to having it all (?) whereas in reality everything is falling apart rapidly around her.

Teach mooning over Vane so much is also weird, since in reality Vane tried to mutiny and was left abandoned on an island by Teach.

For a pirate show it is a bit funny how much of this season now revolves around land battles, and most of the pirate fleet is at the bottom of the ocean.

Dysun

This Billy Bones/Flint friction feels like it should have happened 2 years ago, when he almost died in the storm and had been bubbling up that whole first season.

El Daniel

I never liked Billy. I also don't get why they needed him so big, that's kinda weird in that age. I heard training was pretty intense with Luke Arnold having an impressive 315 front squat. (especially with one leg!)

Dysun

Eleanor and Max are terrible, but at least you want to see bad things happen to Eleanor. Max is just kinda there and eye candy

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HOLY SHIT

(spoilers for episode XXXI)

Blackbeard went out like.a.boss. At first I wasn't quite sure what was happening to him - I was thinking maybe sharks shredded his clothing like piranhas or something haha - but then they actually showed what was happening and DAMN if that wasn't utterly horrifying.

Speaking of Blackbeard, I am a bit disappointed that he never did all that much in this time on the show, but he's been so well and thoroughly represented in other forms of media that I guess I don't mind too much. In any event, I appreciated their subdued take on the character.

The entire ending sequence was as thrilling a sequence as any they've done thus far, with the cocky captain getting his ass kicked and throat slit by Flint, Silver, and the rest of their crew.

Also, Billy redeemed :)

Tevious

Just got done watching XXXI. Wow, what an episode. Amazon (w/ Starz sub) seems to be releasing episodes nearly a day early, so I won't say anything more.

Wish I didnt read that spoiler. Thought it was last episode.

Yeah that was really annoying.

Didn't read the whole thing but god damn that first paragraph alone was more than enough.

If y'all watch eps early do what you gotta do but plz say "today's episode" or something before it lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was shook the entire episode.

Episode 3 "XXXI" Spoilers

This was a great episode, from start to finish. You know shit is getting real on Black Sails when people start doing flashback monologues. I had the same reaction as Ratsky, couldn't figure out what was happening to Blackbeard. Then they showed it...jeez, who even comes up with something like that?!

Poor Rackham, talking about how he would be okay if his story ended with him standing next to giants like Teach. Nah, man. You almost got exactly what he got. You don't want to be there. The show doesn't even let you catch your breath after that insanity.

Billy redeemed himself. He strolled into the square like a wrestling promo at the perfect moment. Eleanor playing it very smart, she saw that the winds might be changing and got the fuck outta there. I can't imagine Silver is in a hurry to extend her an ounce of mercy though. Bare minimum he can't be too pleased with Max. I'm loving Israel "Catch These" Hands too. He has made himself extremely useful in a short period of time.

HOLY SHIT

Blackbeard went out like.a.boss. At first I wasn't quite sure what was happening to him - I was thinking maybe sharks shredded his clothing like piranhas or something haha - but then they actually showed what was happening and DAMN if that wasn't utterly horrifying.

Speaking of Blackbeard, I am a bit disappointed that he never did all that much in this time on the show, but he's been so well and thoroughly represented in other forms of media that I guess I don't mind too much. In any event, I appreciated their subdued take on the character.

The entire ending sequence was as thrilling a sequence as any they've done thus far, with the cocky captain getting his ass kicked and throat slit by Flint, Silver, and the rest of their crew.

Also, Billy redeemed :)

I fucking hate you dude. Why couldn't you just fucking tag that you watched the fucking episode early?

NeoGiff

The show really is firing on all cylinders for this final season. How are we only three episode in?!

EPISODE XXXI SPOILERS:

Vikings introduced keel-hauling to the TV watching masses earlier this year with a much tamer version, but Teach's execution was suitably horrifying and really sold Rogers as uncompromising in his desperation to succeed. It's a nice touch that Teach's "badass" nature and refusal to die made the ordeal that much more gruesome.

Having read a few books on piracy, I saw Teach's death coming once he was boarding the seemingly defeated ship. Should have seen it coming sooner though, what with his and Jack's heart to heart last week, and Jack finally name-dropping "Blackbeard" earlier in this episode. Looks like Rogers will sail back into Nassau with Teach's head hanging from the bowsprit.

I'm surprised Flint and Berringer didn't have any interaction, seeing as the two actors are brothers, but maybe that would have been too contrived. Nevertheless, there were some great character moments in that final battle; Flint taking a back seat to let Silver lead, Silver playing up his larger than life status by entering on a horse and then intimidatingly drawing his crutch, Billy seeing the greater good and saving the day, and Hands laser-focussing on the head of the snake and just getting shit done.

Episode XXXI spoilers

Well, that was certainly one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. I mean did I miss something? They could have just pulverized the sloop and look for the governor's body later. That was pretty much my first thought after I heard the words row boat. The whole thing just screamed trap and should have been easily avoided.

But man, when they keelhauled Blackbeard, that shit was fucking gruesome.

Matt

The show really is firing on all cylinders for this final season. How are we only three episode in?!

EPISODE XXXI SPOILERS:

Vikings introduced keel-hauling to the TV watching masses earlier this year with a much tamer version, but Teach's execution was suitably horrifying and really sold Rogers as uncompromising in his desperation to succeed. It's a nice touch that Teach's "badass" nature and refusal to die made the ordeal that much more gruesome.
It also saved Jack's life.

TheOddOne

I fucking hate you dude. Why couldn't you just fucking tag that you watched the fucking episode early?
If you're going to comment on somebody's mistake, don't be a dick about it.

Anyways, seeing as episodes are released earlier, I'm going to start reminding every update that people should spoiler tag appropriately.

NeoGiff

EPISODE XXXI SPOILERS:

I also like the difference between Vane and Teach in the manner of their respective deaths.

In death, Vane became a symbol around which a resistance could gather, while Teach became a lump of meat that disgusts friend and foe alike.

It also saved Jack's life.
True, although I can't see Jack surviving the season either way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sorry peeps! In my excitement I forgot to mention that I was talking about the newest episode, although I guess I just assumed that everyone would understand that that was the case seeing as how Starz has been releasing new episodes on Saturday nights for some time now and as a TV GAF rule, only actual spoilers are spoiler tagged (then again, it's also a rule to label spoilers so mea culpa!).

I haven't gotten to start S4 yet, but goddamn, I completely slept on Black Sails, all because of of 'Executive Producer Michael Bay'. Black Sails is absolutely fantastic, and I'm completely kicking myself for not watching it earlier - best TV show I've watched since Breaking Bad, and is a refreshing, nuanced palete cleanser after the last few seasons of GoT. Flint himself is an absolute masterpiece, from writing to Toby Stephens' incredible acting. Some really nice casting all-round. Why do I fall in love with shows as they're about to end? They better do Treasure Island somewhere down the line. Luke Arnold's John Silver is also wonderful.

sangreal

At least something good happened this week. The empire strikes back theme of this season has been brutally depressing -- especially considering it is the final season. I know it is necessitated by history, but man it is so much more fun to see the pirates win

Holy shit that was brutal to watch. Fucking Jack Rackham is the shittiest pirate on the planet, no wonder all he is remembered for in history is his clothes and how many chicks he boned. Shoot your guns until the other ship surrenders!!

still it was pretty cool to show that Woods Rogers is not really a good guy in a bad spot, guy is definitely a fucking sociopath like Derringer. While it doesn't exactly follow how Blackbeard dies it does show off his overconfidence and its mostly right just with the wrong people. No keel hauling or whatever the fuck that sick shit was. I always thought keel haul was just getting put out in front of the ship, it is absolutely BRUTAL to watch.
https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/people-politics/how-did-blackbeard-die/

crazy fact I learned today on reddit: Captain Flint and Captain Berringer (the leader of the redcoats with that magnificent red beard and mane) are brothers IRL! Even more insane, Dame Maggie Smith (Harry Potter, Downton Abbey) is their mom!!! WHOAH

YdIkYdD.jpg

Dysun

Episode 3
Reading up on history after the fact, I suppose it makes sense for Teach to go out like this. In action it was a bit jarring since they could have pulverized the sloop without putting themselves in that position.

Good lord this episode was insane....why does it have to end :(

And I agree with the poster above, shame history has to dictate how this goes...I love rooting for pirates lol

8baea978b69c0e67a8c4326557d891e989c261b863856e5d69667580d5c1d2ee.jpg

aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png

what an exit for the character, such a gut-punch but at least the latter half of the episode was more satisfying for the team. Damn shame how they are going to all inevitably lose in the end. Finale is gonna kill me. It's interesting though, watching a tv series in the perspective of the losers.

TripOpt55

That was such an awesome episode. Teach's death was brutal. The whole thing worked to speak about both him and Rogers I thought. I did expect Blackbeard to do more... stuff on the show I guess. The ending to the episode was incredible too.

Pkaz01

8baea978b69c0e67a8c4326557d891e989c261b863856e5d69667580d5c1d2ee.jpg

aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png

what an exit for the character, such a gut-punch but at least the latter half of the episode was more satisfying for the team. Damn shame how they are going to all inevitably lose in the end. Finale is gonna kill me. It's interesting though, watching a tv series in the perspective of the losers.

Starz is pretty good at that though.. they nailed Spartacus

yep. loved Spartacus and it had so many bro moments but honestly I think I prefer Black Sails at this point. the music and dialogue has been so on point. dope performances too, particularly from Flint.

And they really handled the gay subplot surprisingly well. of all the characters I think Vane is the one that would fit right into Spartacus tho haha.

Top Bottom