• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails S4 |OT| The End Is About To Begin - Sundays 9/8c on Starz

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Max has had her finger in every pie since Season 1. Her and Silver always know everything. She's like Limehouse in Justified.

cLOUDo

But the location was established in the season 3's finale
And since that there wasn't any interaction between this three with Max

But the location was established in the season 3's finale
And since that there wasn't any interaction between this three with Max

She knows the three of them know the location. She doesn't know the location itself. It would have been told to everyone who "earned" a share of the treasure - the dozens or more of people on The Walrus and whatever other ships earned the treasure - that the three of them know the treasure location.

Eleanor had a 40+ pirates in the fort held as captives who she traded back to Silver, all of them would have known that the three of them buried the treasure and were the only ones who knew the location.

cLOUDo

She knows the three of them know the location. She doesn't know the location itself. It would have been told to everyone who "earned" a share of the treasure - the dozens or more of people on The Walrus and whatever other ships earned the treasure - that the three of them know the treasure location.

Eleanor had a 40+ pirates in the fort held as captives who she traded back to Silver, all of them would have known that the three of them buried the treasure and were the only ones who knew the location

This make more sense

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Why on earth did Rackham surrender his far superior ship? Yes yes I know Anne was on the sloop - but he condemned all of his men for that...

And to those talking above about the opening credits - yep love them. Great music and visuals
Rackham didn't want to see anyone die. Didn't have the fortitude to sacrifice all to avenge Charles. That was the idea behind his conversation with Teach as well in the episode before. Makes it all that more tragic that despite him trying to do the right thing, he's lost the only two people that he actually cares about at that point.

Yep I agree about Blackbeard. He shouldn't have had the man of war - he should have had his own awesome ship and great crew etc.

Having said that - the way he survived his 'death' was incredible - showed his strength. Rackham wouldn't have even made it past the cannon holes!

Also didn't like how Rackham surrendered the man of war - he could have blasted that sloop to kingdom come if he wanted to. Instead he sacrificed his men so he could get his lady back...

Same for Teach - why go in on little boats. Use your man of war to blast the sloop to kingdom come...
Queen Anne's Revenge was a Man o' War. He wasn't sailing under the one that Vane/Flint sailed, to my knowledge. That's why after this most recent episode, when the governor sailed back, they said it was The Revenge.

I'm just now catching up on the show. Marathoned the whole thing in maybe 3 weeks and it's awesome. Now I'm stuck waiting for new episodes just like everyone else, haha.

Also, I'm pretty sure the death of Ann Bonny will end up driving the final wedge between Max and Eleanor. Should be interesting to see what happens. (And yes, I'm firmly in the camp that says she died after that fight.)

Also: Does anyone else feel like this show makes them appreciate Assassin's Creed Black Flag even more? lol

Yeah the parallels between AC4 and black sails is awesome, its a very different spin on a similar tale and I'm itching to go back and replay the game once the season is done.

I love the Anne Bonny character so much after this episode, it really drives home how tragic her character was. She just knew in her bones that Blackbeard and Rackham were not that brilliant, that Woods-Rogers and the British Empire would eventually get the better of them. Something really no one else in the story seems to comprehend, other than Max. Her tragedy is that she just couldn't tell Jack that they were on the losing side, compounded by the reason she won't ever tell him is because it would illustrate Jack's lack of ability and she loves him too much to ever do that.

The beginning of the season opened with the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, which I sorta just assumed to be the story of Long John Silver vs Flint and Flint vs Woods Rogers but I think more and more that the story is really about the struggles each character is going through, their inner personality and the one they present to everyone. McGraw vs his Flint persona. John Silver vs Long John. Billy Bones the quartermaster vs Billy Bones the leader. Max the girl who wants to be free vs Max the empire builder.

PR_rambo

Banned
Reaction/Spoilers to Episode 5

Well fuck, Spain about the end the whole fucking thing. And man did it hurt to see Billy betrayed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
EPISODE 5 SPOILERS

Damn, everyone's plan got fucked up in this one. Rogers bringing in Spain is a game changer. Israel Hands slapping around Silver and telling him to just be decisive was a good moment too.

And I'm going to take Rackham's demeanor on the beach as confirmation that Anne is alive. I didn't think she was dead without any ceremony but you never know. Eleanor has gotten some great development in the past few episodes, it really feels like all the characters are getting their moments to shine during this sprint to the finale.

I love when shows go into their final season knowing it's the end. Even the setup episodes have been awesome here.

Yooo that ending. Rackham pointing Rodgers don't give a fuck and won't give up no matter what. Billy finally got to big for himself.

That music at the end was really good

Grizzlyjin

I like Billy but I gotta shoulder shrug to him having to eat a proverbial shit sandwich. He popped off at the worst possible time and almost got people killed. The boy has been too big for his britches this entire season. I mean...the shit he's saying about Flint isn't wrong but no way Silver just forgives him.

Sir Doom

Wow what a cliffhanger
Great scene in the Spanish Governor office. I like the lighting and mood. Well shot

I hope Ann is well

My boy Billy Bones fucking up yet again. He just keeps pulling the same kind of shit that got him killed by Flint the first time around.

I can't wait for the inevitable Flint vs. Silver collision, too. The whole thing on Treasure Island about Silver being the only man Flint was afraid of has to pay off big before its all said and done.

I'll be so sad to see this show go, but they are just going for it this season. Shit's happening left and right.

EDIT: ALSO HOLY SHIT WE'RE ONLY HALFWAY TROUGH THE SEASON WHAT

the pacing on this show hnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg Black Sails still consistently has some of the best pacing of any series I've ever watched, even Mad Men and Breaking Bad had their issues. Well, Mad Men a lot more so than Breaking Bad. Five episodes left, and bloody Spain has showed up. Rogers, I don't think this will end how you think it does...

So many great moments. The Billy/Silver scenes and Silver/Hands literal slapdown was fantastic. I know Billy's been an ass (though he does have some good points, especially about my trash fav Flint), but man, seeing Silver setting him like that... I always enjoy Flint and Eleanor interacting, and I did laugh at loud at Flint pointedly mentioning Rogers at the end of Eleanor's spiel. I'm curious to see how everything will go down with Madi and Silver, as even though I think Madi cares greatly for Silver, her priority is still her people. I'm still enjoying the dynamic echoes of James/Miranda/Thomas in Flint/Madi/Silver interactions.

And, god, I'm pretty sure Flint was reading Meditations whilst he was in his cell in the fort. Oh, Flint. Oh, Thomas. Sigh.

Rymuth

whew.....whewwwwww...

hufff...hufff...

I couldn't breathe. What a heavy episode. It felt like a 100-tonne weight was on my chest. All this time, every minute of it, I kept feeling like something was about to go all terribly wrong.

p.s. the depiction of the Governor and Eleanor's romance as some tragic love-story is just hilarious.

Woodes Rogers is definitely one of the best bad guys in TV dom, you can even complete justify why he is NOT the bad guy and is a good guy protecting Civilization. He feels like what Flint might have been if he had stayed as a captain in the British Empire.

and goddamn that Cuban scene, Rogers kills this dudes brother (likely the story he told last episode) and STILL the cuban governor allies with him. Goddamn, revenge goes deep with these guys.

So much stuff happening, its crazy to think there are still 5 more episodes.

Woodes Rogers is definitely one of the best bad guys in TV dom, you can even complete justify why he is NOT the bad guy and is a good guy protecting Civilization. He feels like what Flint might have been if he had stayed as a captain in the British Empire.

and goddamn that Cuban scene, Rogers kills this dudes brother (likely the story he told last episode) and STILL the cuban governor allies with him. Goddamn, revenge goes deep with these guys.

So much stuff happening, its crazy to think there are still 5 more episodes.

Good point. Who is the bad guy?

Rogers, who just wants to bring law and order back to Nassau? In any other show he's the hero.

Flint, who despite everything that is said about him hasn't actually done much that isn't for the greater good as he sees it and is also the most charismatic man in the world?

Billy, who sticks up for the men against Flint's scheming which relies on them being expendable?

Silver, who is a cunt in Treasure Island but has never really done anything unreasonable in this?

Actually it's
Max
isn't it?

Whoever does the casting for this show deserves like every award ever for casting. Holy shit, every single actor/actress is perfect. Jesus that Israel/Silver scene with the slapping around. "Worry don't look good on a king." Fucking beautiful. And Woodes Rogers is great; completely agree about the fact that he's not really the bad guy here ... but at the same time he's a fantastic bad guy.

cLOUDo

Actor that plays Rogers has such charisma too. Really like him.

tumblr_o6w14uCPkx1s9bcqro5_500.gif

Amazing episode for a moment I thought
Billy was going to die

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This season really has been great so far. It's hard to believe we're only at the half way mark. I hope they can sustain the quality for just a little longer - if they can finish as strong as they started...hoo boy.

Also, I appreciated Eleanor's conversation with Flint regarding Mr. Scott. I admit that I had forgotten about him, so it was nice to see that the writers still remembered.

Just caught up on the season over the last 2 nights. This show is so good. Up there with Justified and Breaking Bad as some recent shows where I'm just hanging on every word, anticipating character interactions more than plot revelations or big events. The only thing I'm missing from seasons 1- 3 are the Nassau politics and pirate posturing when Flint and Vane were butting heads while Eleanor was in the middle. We're at this end point with hopelessness in the air, similar to Spartacus, where everyone's making last gasp schemes and it feels badman.

Teach's finale in whatever ep that was was brutal and extraordinarily well done. Not showing what was happening to him until the second time was a brilliant decision, and having Rogers essentially lose that confrontation while winning.... so good.

Rolfgang

Very, but after what happens with Teach...
I doubt for a moment.

Yeah, I never trust history and/or other stories with these kind of shows. It wouldn't surprise me if Rackham or Anne Bonny died in the finale either, fully aware of the fact they have a couple of years left ahead of them.

NeoGiff

Yeah, I never trust history and/or other stories with these kind of shows. It wouldn't surprise me if Rackham or Anne Bonny died in the finale either, fully aware of the fact they have a couple of years left ahead of them.

I fully expect Jack to be hanged in either the penultimate or final episode.

jett

D-Member
That was some damn good TV.

I almost thought they were gonna kill Billy right there and ignore Treasure Island. His death would've made more sense for the show to be honest. I wonder how close they will stick to the events described in the book, if at all.

Didn't read any of the thread because I just started watching a couple weeks ago and I'm half way through Season 3.

I didn't realize the 4th is the final season. Does it seem like they're ending it too soon? It feels like things are barely getting started and I'm a few episodes away from the final season.

Grizzlyjin

I think they're going to play it fast & loose with melding into Treasure Island. The broadstrokes are there, like Silver having one leg, being Flint's Quartermaster, etc. But this is so far removed from the start of Treasure Island that that gap in-between will exist to reconcile any errors. A lot can happen in 20 years.

The historical figures are fair game. They won't get their actual deaths and are just being treated like legends injected into this world.

I'm fairly certain that the titular "Treasure" will partially or completely be made of the Urca Gold. I don't think the show has ever really obscured that intention though. I wasn't sure about it in past seasons because I thought it would be a passing plot thread, but it has endured over the entire series...so yeah, gotta imagine that's the payoff there.

jett

D-Member
I think they're going to play it fast & loose with melding into Treasure Island. The broadstrokes are there, like Silver having one leg, being Flint's Quartermaster, etc. But this is so far removed from the start of Treasure Island that that gap in-between will exist to reconcile any errors. A lot can happen in 20 years.

The historical figures are fair game. They won't get their actual deaths and are just being treated like legends injected into this world.

I'm fairly certain that the titular "Treasure" will partially or completely be made of the Urca Gold. I don't think the show has ever really obscured that intention though. I wasn't sure about it in past seasons because I thought it would be a passing plot thread, but it has endured over the entire series...so yeah, gotta imagine that's the payoff there.

I was thinking the same thing about the Urca gold. This season has really cemented it for me.

Rolfgang

That the Urca gold was thé treasure was already apparent from season 2, at least for me. It's about the biggest score they could ever make.

Yeah, definitely, re: the Urca Gold being the treasure. I love how it was set up from the first episode, with Flint/Billy/Silver all having a part in how it all starts. I can't wait to see how the remaining episodes unfold! I can see how Billy and the Silver/Hands dynamic starts to fall into place for Treasure Island, but Flint is definitely going to be the most interesting, let alone whatever the hell goes down between Silver and Flint. My favorite theory I've seen thus far for Flint is that
'Flint' will be said to have died, or be drinking himself to death, but James McGraw will continue on. The Flint/McGraw flip ties into the themes of the show, with storytelling/legends/death/resurrection/etc. I remember reading the theory pre-S4, and I've been really surprised in turn how peaceful and level headed Flint has been this season, it's the closest we've seen to his old self outside of flashbacks. At the end of S2 I was confused when Flint told Miranda about Flint's namesake, where it was like Flint came from the sea and then returned to it like he was never there - but I'm now a lot more curious if it was all foreshadowing. There are also all of the Odyssey parallels with Flint, where Odysseus was at sea for ten years, before he returned home. There were some Don Quixote references, and I know Don Quixote was originally a Thomas parallel, but I'm not sure who is what anymore.

Of course, this could all still end with Flint really drinking himself to death in Savannah.

Top Bottom